The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #1251
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard
 
Big Blue Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
It doesn't seem that Bendis is doing all that much for Action Comics and Superman. Those numbers more or less look like what those titles would be selling without his name attached to them. That's interesting.
I'm surprised by those numbers for DC's Flagship character. I read the first few post-Rebirth issues of each one, and both were off to a running start. Has the writing really gone down hill over the last 6 months or so?
__________________
Benny Snell of Lexington--you have the ability to instill great hope. You belong to Big Blue Nation.
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #1252
Michael Heide
Heide Finition
 
Michael Heide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 11,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
I'm surprised by those numbers for DC's Flagship character. I read the first few post-Rebirth issues of each one, and both were off to a running start. Has the writing really gone down hill over the last 6 months or so?
Not at all. Although I like Action Comics (focusing on Kal as Clark) a lot better than Superman (focusing on Kal as Superman). And the art has even gone up a notch.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #1253
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 25,859
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
Not at all. Although I like Action Comics (focusing on Kal as Clark) a lot better than Superman (focusing on Kal as Superman). And the art has even gone up a notch.
I would agree. There's been no real dip.
__________________
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:15 AM   #1254
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe
 
Ωmega Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East TN
Posts: 12,194
Blog Entries: 2
Default

The plain and simple fact that Bendis' Superman comics aren't doing better is exactly why I question why DC wants to give the man so much so soon with him coming to their side of the fence? All the different creator owned stuff like Pearl, his 'imprint' Wonder Comics, and when his Superman isn't even breaking the Top 10 each month?

I'd love to see what other creators would do with this much creative freedom.

What would they do with a big gun like Superman? And what four comics would they want to bring back or reintroduce characters with? Or even just have a hand in bringing back....

__________________

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 12-16-2018 at 12:18 AM.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:58 AM   #1255
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer
 
Hypo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth-42
Posts: 21,845
Default

I guess I'll be the lone voice of dissent and say I haven't cared for Bendis on the Superbooks. I read the Man of Steel mini and dropped it due to him shoving Lois and Jon to the side. Gave that issue where Lois comes back a shot and didn't care for it either.

As for the sales specifically however it's been pretty clear from the beginning that Bendis on the Superbooks wasn't having the kind of effect DC was hoping for, sales are pretty similar to the previous runs rather than up there with Tom King's Batman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
The plain and simple fact that Bendis' Superman comics aren't doing better is exactly why I question why DC wants to give the man so much so soon with him coming to their side of the fence? All the different creator owned stuff like Pearl, his 'imprint' Wonder Comics, and when his Superman isn't even breaking the Top 10 each month?
It was probably promised to him and put into his contract in order to lure him over from Marvel.
__________________

Last edited by Hypo; 12-28-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:51 PM   #1256
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 15,919
Default

19 Doom Patrol 1* $3.99 DC 76,225
79 Doom Patrol 2* $3.99 DC 37,856
96 Doom Patrol 3* $3.99 DC 30,140
105 Doom Patrol 4* $3.99 DC 26,261
101 Doom Patrol 5* $3.99 DC 24,693
104 Doom Patrol 6* $3.99 DC 21,954
120 Doom Patrol 7* $3.99 DC 18,432
125 Doom Patrol 8* $3.99 DC 17,483
133 Doom Patrol 9* $3.99 DC 16,381
133 Doom Patrol 10* $3.99 DC 15,504
155 Doom Patrol 11* $3.99 DC 12,937
190 Doom Patrol 12* $3.99 DC 13,448
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #1257
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 15,919
Default

Orders actually went UP 511 copies for the 12th issue. Odd.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:02 AM   #1258
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe
 
Ωmega Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East TN
Posts: 12,194
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
I guess I'll be the lone voice of dissent and say I haven't cared for Bendis on the Superbooks. I read the Man of Steel mini and dropped it due to him shoving Lois and Jon to the side. Gave that issue where Lois comes back a shot and didn't care for it either.

As for the sales specifically however it's been pretty clear from the beginning that Bendis on the Superbooks wasn't having the kind of effect DC was hoping for, sales are pretty similar to the previous runs rather than up their with Tom King's Batman.

It was probably promised to him and put into his contract in order to lure him over from Marvel.
From what I gather he wanted to write Superman after visiting a friend's Superman museum in Ohio, and his contract was almost up with Marvel. It doesn't sound like he needed to be lured to the dark side, TPTB probably just figured he'd turn heads and sell more books. So far he's barely managed to do one of those.

__________________
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:54 AM   #1259
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 15,919
Default

I think Bendis might have made more of a splash if DC had put him on something that really needed his help. A lower tiered title that he could have raised up to the next level like Johns did for GL, Moore did for Swamp thing or Perez did for WW. On the Superman titles he seems like a wash.

He would have made bigger waves if he had taken over Green Arrow or Titans.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #1260
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe
 
Ωmega Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East TN
Posts: 12,194
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I think Bendis might have made more of a splash if DC had put him on something that really needed his help. A lower tiered title that he could have raised up to the next level like Johns did for GL, Moore did for Swamp thing or Perez did for WW. On the Superman titles he seems like a wash.

He would have made bigger waves if he had taken over Green Arrow or Titans.
I think that's the problem with DC. They sign big talent but then 90% of the time they shuffle them to a Superman or Batman title, or God forbid something outside of continuity in a mini series or graphic novel that does nothing for the overall DC landscape.

Green Arrow was a nice thought. I'd love to see that title do better than it seems to be. It'd be incredible if DC could lure Kevin Smith back for an arc or two for that title, but Bendis I'm sure could do something for it as well. Maybe have Bendis rework the Beyond Universe, or a title like Red Hood & the Outlaws. Both of those concepts have staying power at least. How long will another Dial H last, and how long can Wonder Twins hold on to readers?

Bendis was featuring the Question in some recent issues of Action... WHAT ABOUT ANOTHER SERIES FOR Q?!? Cause you know... fans actually WANT to see that...

__________________
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #1261
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I think Bendis might have made more of a splash if DC had put him on something that really needed his help. A lower tiered title that he could have raised up to the next level like Johns did for GL, Moore did for Swamp thing or Perez did for WW. On the Superman titles he seems like a wash.

He would have made bigger waves if he had taken over Green Arrow or Titans.
They should have put him on Aquaman and Green Arrow, which have traditionally been stuck on the sales bubble. But DC likes to gild the lilies instead. Not just with the writers but with the most popular artists too.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #1262
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 25,859
Blog Entries: 2
Default

I'm going to guess that what book Bendis started on was agreed upon before he ever signed a contract. I highly doubt he signed on to do any book and they just happened to stick him with double Superman.
__________________
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #1263
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I'm going to guess that what book Bendis started on was agreed upon before he ever signed a contract. I highly doubt he signed on to do any book and they just happened to stick him with double Superman.
If so then they should have driven a smarter bargain with him.

When they sign a popular writer or artist, the purpose should not be to put him on a popular title. What's the point of doing that? The purpose should be to put him on a less-popular title where he'll move the needle.

The goal should always be to move the needle.

If Bendis didn't want to do that, then they should have spent their money elsewhere.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:17 PM   #1264
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,962
Default

Fans on the message boards will always clamor for the most popular writers and artists to be put on the most popular titles. But they're going to buy those titles regardless, and they don't want to spend any more money than they already spend. Later for that. You need to get the readers into the habit of buying the less-popular titles as well.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #1265
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 15,919
Default

I think DC would be smart to end their relationship with Gerard Way doing Doom Patrol now. Amd start to prepare a new DP title that resembles the upcoming tv show to compliment it.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.