The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5

Old 02-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #51
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolerathon View Post
Gave up after Blackest Night and I only stuck with that because I wanted to finish what I started. Johns is the epitome of clown shoes and I won't be back until they get someone who can do something to fix what he has broken.
Let's be honest here, personal preference aside, Johns is pretty much for responsible for revamping GL and turning it into one of DC's biggest franchises second to only Batman at this point, he ain't going anywhere anytime soon (unless he chooses to).

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuserid View Post
I don't even consider this a "Green Lantern" message board. That may be the name, but if you click new posts, there's not a whole lot of GL talk going on.
+1.

Anyways I've dropped everything but GL at this point, sadly to me it was the only book to jump in quality with the new 52. The few issues I read of GLC were pretty average to mediocre in my book, New Guardians has problems, and don't even get me started on RL.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #52
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotherion View Post
Let's be honest here, personal preference aside, Johns is pretty much for responsible for revamping GL and turning it into one of DC's biggest franchises second to only Batman at this point, he ain't going anywhere anytime soon (unless he chooses to).
I never said I expected it to happen soon. I don't consider his success relevant. I have no time for a man who makes Batman talk in sports metaphors. My hope is that in time someone will be given the title once numbers have dwindled who can do stories I like.

Quote:
Anyways I've dropped everything but GL at this point, sadly to me it was the only book to jump in quality with the new 52. The few issues I read of GLC were pretty average to mediocre in my book, New Guardians has problems, and don't even get me started on RL.
Really? I would have said Action and Wonder Woman have been pretty good even if Snyder has lost his mind with this owly nonsense.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #53
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Every time someone says comics are dying because only older readers are left to support the industry, I look around this site and know that's bullshit. This place is full of people in their teens and 20s who have gotten into GL, and comics in general, in the last 5 to 8 years.

Video games may have siphoned off a lot of potential fans, but new young readers will keep finding the medium.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #54
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
Video games may have siphoned off a lot of potential fans, but new young readers will keep finding the medium.
I would think the two went hand in hand.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #55
Emperor Aquaman
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Quote:
Every time someone says comics are dying because only older readers are left to support the industry, I look around this site and know that's bullshit. This place is full of people in their teens and 20s who have gotten into GL, and comics in general, in the last 5 to 8 years.

THANK YOU!

I just ran into this idiot on another forum saying that "the end is near" for comics because it's just older fans who read them... that's not just bullshit, my friend, it's GALACTIC SIZE NUCLEAR EXCREMENT!!!!

It's a form of entertainment... it may evolve but it will NEVER dissapear. People who think that way are just bitter old fucks!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #56
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Really? I would have said Action and Wonder Woman have been pretty good even if Snyder has lost his mind with this owly nonsense.
Only GL book! There are certainly other DC books that are better than it in my opinion.

Quote:
Well it's true that younger readers are finding the medium (I'm one of them) is that influx enough to offset those who are leaving it behind? I mean when it's business as usual for books to loses readers month after month I'd say there's a problem. Though that could just be a problem with print media in general since we don't really know how good digital sales are.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #57
Space Cop
The Dandy

Well, I've been hearing the "industry is dying" argument for many years and it hasn't happened yet.

Keep in mind that comics already faced major crises both with scandal over Seduction of the Innocent and when the 90s bubble burst. Both of those could've ended the industry but they bounced back.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #58
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian

Quote:
Well it's true that younger readers are finding the medium (I'm one of them) is that influx enough to offset those who are leaving it behind? I mean when it's business as usual for books to loses readers month after month I'd say there's a problem. Though that could just be a problem with print media in general since we don't really know how good digital sales are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Well, I've been hearing the "industry is dying" argument for many years and it hasn't happened yet.

Keep in mind that comics already faced major crises both with scandal over Seduction of the Innocent and when the 90s bubble burst. Both of those could've ended the industry but they bounced back.
I'm no fan of manga but I think their distribution model is better. Instead of paying 2.99 for a book you will finish in 10 minutes then why not release them slightly less often and put them into collected books with other series?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #59
Lantern Kreon
Weaponer of Qward

Send a message via AIM to Lantern Kreon Send a message via Yahoo to Lantern Kreon

Initially I stopped reading everything due to the loss of my LCS, where I'd been a patron since the day they opened. I moved my business to another shop across town, but then Blackest Night happened. I'd predicted the White Lantern aspect of the story months earlier and had said that I would be extremely disappointed if they went the route of arbitrarily resurrecting characters. And they did. I've been a lifelong DC fan, but after Final Crisis and Batman RIP, that was the last straw. I didn't just drop GL (which I hadn't read in several issues but still owned. Mahnke sucks ass.), I dropped all my DC titles. The only comics I continued getting were Thor and Northlanders.

Now we have the New 52. I'm wary of the effort, and I think some of the titles are pure schlock, but I've decided it was as good a time as any to try and come back. I started picking up 2 of my old favorites at #1: Batman and Nightwing (thank God Dick is back). Nightwing has had a couple of hitches, but Batman has been solid. I'm pleased so far. The DCU really was in need of a good scrub down after the last few years. Sinestro Corps War was amazing and should stay on, but I'd erase all of FC and BN. And really, everything in Batman since Batman and Son.

So now I pose a question to you folks: I miss the Lanterns, but is the current run on any of their series worth getting?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #60
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
I'm no fan of manga but I think their distribution model is better. Instead of paying 2.99 for a book you will finish in 10 minutes then why not release them slightly less often and put them into collected books with other series?
That would most probably mean the end of the LCS era and that would just fuck everything up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Kreon View Post
And really, everything in Batman since Batman and Son.

Quote:
So now I pose a question to you folks: I miss the Lanterns, but is the current run on any of their series worth getting?
GL is honestly the only Lantern book that benefited from the relaunch in my opinion.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #61
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian

Quote:
That would most probably mean the end of the LCS era and that would just fuck everything up.
Explain how? Japan has comic book stores and manga books are sold in other outlets which is more than can be said for western issues. Occasionally bigger book stores will carry a few trades here and there but that's it.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #62
Lantern Kreon
Weaponer of Qward

Send a message via AIM to Lantern Kreon Send a message via Yahoo to Lantern Kreon

Quote:
Explain how? Japan has comic book stores and manga books are sold in other outlets which is more than can be said for western issues. Occasionally bigger book stores will carry a few trades here and there but that's it.
you realize that most manga is sold in a small, weekly, format, right? What we generally get in the West is the collections that are equivalent to a TPB.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #63
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
GL has turned Hal into a worthless pussy.
GL Corps started strong, but crashed rather quickly.
Red Lanterns is awful, but #6 was actually quite good.
New Guardians has been the best of the bunch.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #64
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
GL is honestly the only Lantern book that benefited from the relaunch in my opinion.
And by "benefited" I mean Johns got his head out of his ass and started writing better.

Quote:
My bad, I assumed you were talking about the collections we generally see over here, TPBs if you will, I think it's obvious why that kind of model would pretty much be the death knell for LCSs.

The Magazine format wouldn't mean the end of local comic book shops, but I still don't think it would provide a radical improvement/work well. Most manga magazines are released either weekly or monthly over there and page length can range anywhere from 200-800. So basically to get into that format we're talking about taking a bunch of floppies as they are now and combining them into huge anthologies. Problems I see with that:

1) First of all, people just don't buy anthologies as a general rule. I suppose one way to offset would be to package all the "families" of books together in hopes of appealing to people, but if I've only interested in a couple of Batbooks I'm more likely to just not buy anything if my only choice is getting all the Batbooks at once.

2) Price. Part of the reason manga does so well in Japan is that it's a major part of their publishing industry. We're talking about an industry that brings in revenue in the billions of dollars, and as such these things are subsidized and they can be sold for cheaper over there than they would over here (not to mention they're generally printed on cheaper material).

Last edited by Hypo; 02-15-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #65
greenblogger
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
I agree that Johns brought back the interest in the GL franchise... I never heard of any great event in the other DC characters (especially the Big Three: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman) ever since Johns took over the Green Lantern... But his run in the DCnU Green Lantern had been unimpressive with Sinestro taking over the spotlight.
greenblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #66
greenblogger
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
GLC is what interests me the most right now...
greenblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #67
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

I haven't missed an issue since rebirth and I don't plan too.

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #68
Lantern Kreon
Weaponer of Qward

well having got several GL comics at the store last week to see what's up...

Justice League is the best comic featuring GL.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #69
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Quote:
well having got several GL comics at the store last week to see what's up...

Justice League is the best comic featuring GL.
I started back on GL with the new 52. I thought the first five issues were good. Then issue six came and he's going right back into to all the Rainbow Brite crap. And of all the crappy color lanterns to chose from, he's going with the dumbest of the bunch...indigo.

I'm gone from GL again, and probably won't be back until Johns leaves the title.

Kreon, I'm surprised you liked Justice League. I read the first two issues and Hal was nothing more than a bumbling idiot.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 AM   #70
Lantern Kreon
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuserid View Post
I started back on GL with the new 52. I thought the first five issues were good. Then issue six came and he's going right back into to all the Rainbow Brite crap. And of all the crappy color lanterns to chose from, he's going with the dumbest of the bunch...indigo.

I'm gone from GL again, and probably won't be back until Johns leaves the title.

Kreon, I'm surprised you liked Justice League. I read the first two issues and Hal was nothing more than a bumbling idiot.
I know it seems surprising, but hear me out. The greatest strength DC's hero teams have is the various flaws present. The new JL is working with a group of characters who are all learning their roles as heroes AND as members of the team. There are going to be some more exaggerated flaws and heads are going to butt. The benefit for us as readers is that we get to watch as they cope and learn from situations and other members of the team. In the case of Hal, we're being presented with a brasher, younger character than the veteran Hal we're used to now. If it means getting to watch as Hal develops into a hero, I'm all for it.

And that is why JL is the best Lantern title right now.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #71
maltesefalcon
Kilowog's Recruit

i grew up reading kyle as green lantern, but mostly in justice league and as such i got green lantern corps when that started back up during sinestro corps war i started collecting every gl book there was. then all of a sudden you couldnt just read one story everything had to be part of an "event"! then the new 52 came along and wiped the history of nearly every character (and turned the rest into a tangled continuity snarl) as such i now only read new guardians (and teen titans and superboy)

all i want is to read a comic and not have to buy 5 other comics to know whats going on! is that too much to ask?
Old 05-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #72
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

I actually just dropped all comics today and am two months behind.
Superlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #73
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocLantern View Post

I don't know, reading Hal (my favorite character) being written as a hapless moron while John's slobbers all over Sinestro since the relaunch has been pretty brutal. For me anyway....
Thus why I quit all together.
Superlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:17 AM   #74
unclegnewman
Weaponer of Qward

Reading them all, but only enjoying GLC.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:15 AM   #75
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Yes.
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote