The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps
FLASHCHAT

View Poll Results: Rate Hal and the GLC #13
* 1 14.29%
** 0 0%
*** 2 28.57%
**** 3 42.86%
***** 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #1
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Default Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps #13 *Preview/Spoilers*

Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps #13 Preview
Writer: Robert Venditti
Artist: V. Ken Marion

Old 01-19-2017, 10:49 PM   #2
jhpace1
Guy's Drinking Buddy

So we get a re-hashing of the last 3 episodes as told by one of the Xudarians? B-o-o-r-i-n-g!

There had better be a real GLC story after this retelling.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:35 PM   #3
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

They can't be serious with this. What was this issue originally supposed to be about?
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:21 AM   #4
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

This may have been the second most boring single issue I've ever read. Pure filler.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:09 PM   #5
Space Cop
The Dandy

Okay, I know it was a clear filler (and recap to boot) and I'm probably going to get virtual eggs thrown at me now, but I actually liked seeing family life on Xudar. It was also a nice ground-level, outsider (until the twist ending) perspective of these great cosmic events.

Only thing is I would have preferred their homes be a little less close to earth homes. For example, they seem to have pillows just like ours but they also have beaks that look like they'd regularly tear into them. It would've been cool if they did something different like perch or incubate.

But I liked the whole speech about how will takes work while fear, rage, and love come easy.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Yeah, while this may not have advanced the story any, as a stand-alone issue I thought it was well done and enjoyable. I just wonder if the hints of the future will actually come to pass. I seem to recall a very similar splash page about a "War of Light" that never really materialized, once before.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #7
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Gotta build the story up to TPB length, you know.
Up next: Two Emerald Knight stories starring Hal.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #8
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

Honestly I'm surprised how much I actually enjoyed this issue. It pretty much just recapped what's happened in this series so far but I liked the way it was told, and I'm intrigued by the villains that were teased for the future so that's something to look forward to.
Also I've been a fan of Kevin Marion for awhile now so seeing him do this issue and hearing he'll be back for 2 in April gets me excited. He's still an up incoming artist so I think it's good exposure for him, and I think he did great in this issue and he'll continue to just get better.

CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:11 PM   #9
JohnMc
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltiC5-27 View Post
Honestly I'm surprised how much I actually enjoyed this issue. It pretty much just recapped what's happened in this series so far but I liked the way it was told, and I'm intrigued by the villains that were teased for the future so that's something to look forward to.
Also I've been a fan of Kevin Marion for awhile now so seeing him do this issue and hearing he'll be back for 2 in April gets me excited. He's still an up incoming artist so I think it's good exposure for him, and I think he did great in this issue and he'll continue to just get better.

Another War of Lights? I am so over that stuff now.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #10
Mister Ed

What do you mean, "another"? The last one never even happened. There were various conflicts and skirmishes between individual Corps, but there was never anything like the all-out WAR pictured in the original teaser way back when (which this new one strongly reminds me of).
Old 01-27-2017, 11:44 PM   #11
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

It's not a new one, it's a flashback to what we got or in your guys' case didn't get.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:15 AM   #12
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chosen" View Post
It's not a new one, it's a flashback to what we got or in your guys' case didn't get.
No, it's a new one, because the narrator of the story was talking about things SHE experienced AFTER the incident with Xudar being bottled. Or at least I don't see how it could be interpreted otherwise...
Old 01-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #13
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
No, it's a new one, because the narrator of the story was talking about things SHE experienced AFTER the incident with Xudar being bottled. Or at least I don't see how it could be interpreted otherwise...
Yeah, I also took it that way. She wasn't familiar with the GLC before Starro. Then, she relates what she knew about them after Starro/Larfleeze were defeated.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:25 AM   #14
Big Blue Lantern
Parallax Host

I liked the concept of this issue. No, it didn't advance the direction of the GLC, but it did flesh out the world in which they exist. It reminded us that Green Lanterns (and a White one) not only protect civilians, but they also exist to inspire them. We got that point framed in a relatable way that also reminded the reader that the GLC is something that will continue beyond the lives of the current members.

There's nothing wrong with taking a narrative breather before the next big arc. This gave us a well-timed pause to contemplate the world around our emerald warriors. In the midst of company events and crossovers, these type of self-contained stories are a welcomed change of pace.
Fear the banners and the Wildcat bite!
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #15
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltiC5-27 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Another War of Lights? I am so over that stuff now.
well count me in (but only if Kyle is still a WL............ or h@ll even a PL)

IonFan says

Quote:
8 years ago i had 40+ hours a week, heath-care, and was full time, i can't say that anymore THAT'S WHY I VOTED TRUMP! (also i wanted to destroy the Rep. party, i didn't think he'd actually win)
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote