Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emerald Dawn II and Guy Gardner

Hey everyone,

Another question revolving around Vol 3. As I mention in a previous post, I just recently am getting caught up on past issues.

My question is regarding Guy Gardner in Emerald Dawn II. The mini series was released after Vol. 3 had already started, a year into it I believe. But in Emerald Dawn II has Guy Gardner not as a Green Lantern yet. I am just curious if Emerald Dawn was separate storyline, independent of the Vol 3 story line. I'm just confused as to where it fits in.

Hope that makes sense.

C

Originally posted by themagicrat View Post
    Hey everyone,

Another question revolving around Vol 3. As I mention in a previous post, I just recently am getting caught up on past issues.

My question is regarding Guy Gardner in Emerald Dawn II. The mini series was released after Vol. 3 had already started, a year into it I believe. But in Emerald Dawn II has Guy Gardner not as a Green Lantern yet. I am just curious if Emerald Dawn was separate storyline, independent of the Vol 3 story line. I'm just confused as to where it fits in.

Hope that makes sense.

C
    Emerald Dawn I and II are retellings of Hal's origin, 15 years before the events of Vol. 3.

Comment

Originally posted by MasonACBB View Post
      Emerald Dawn I and II are retellings of Hal's origin, 15 years before the events of Vol. 3.
      Right. Plus, they've been completely retconned out of current continuity, so take 'em with a massive grain of salt.
      The last fan of 1990s comics
      Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Actually I consider Geoff's retcons of ED, EDII and Mosaic not to have happened.

If he was going to flush something, he should have flushed Emerald Twilight.

Comment

Originally posted by Spy Smasher View Post
          Actually I consider Geoff's retcons of ED, EDII and Mosaic not to have happened.

Wow. I've never met anyone with the ability to retcon a retcon.

Comment

Flush something that SUCKED instead of something that was GOOD.

Comment

Um...he did.
              The last fan of 1990s comics
              Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

The Emerald Dawns were a part of Volume 3. I believe they were the first appearance of the Book of Oa, which led into GLC Quarterly. Emerald Twilight directly referenced ED1through a yellow reference box (a minor point, admittingly).

They did set the path to Parallax, though. It was only in ED1 that Hal was actually super energized once going into the CPB. Before he was trapped and after that Sinestro used the Yellow Impurity to actually drain power from his ring (although Old Timer's power and immortality was restored).

Guy was hardly touched in Emerald Dawn, aside from the retcon that he knew Hal was GL. Which actually conflicts with the Silver Age stories featuring him.

Neither EDs are canon anymore, however. You can decide for yourself whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Comment

Hey look, something else we agree on Spy... I'm going to keep a list going...

Comment

This is the way I've been looking at it. Basically, DC has three major Era's, each seperated by a Universe-spanning "Crisis". Each has changes from the previous, and some things remain the same. A lot of times what's changed, and what hasn't is revealed slowly over time. For GL, it's as follows.

Pre-COIE Origin: As shown in the original Showcase issue. Very basic, not a lot of detail filled in. Villians like Sinestro, and Hector Hammond are introduced early on, but well after the "origin story".

Post-COIE/Pre IC: As shown in "Emerald Dawn I and II". Sinestro is now a bigger part of Hal's origin and training. Some things regarding Guy and John, etc. remain the same from the previous era, with other things changing slightly. Hal's origin and "early years" appear to be the biggest change.

(Zero Hour involves GL in the story, but does not appear to have altered GL continuity)

Post-IC: As told in "Secret Origins". The origin story now reveals Hector Hammond, Atrocitus and Black Hand being more involved. The "Sinestro as Hal's trainer" element from ED remains, but the events happen differently (Hal wasn't in jail, etc.). Some things remain the same from the previous era: Emerald Twilight being one of them.

Some people think the "Rayner years" have been retconed (or "Geoffconed") out, but I see no evidence of that. Yes, they're downplayed a bit, but most if not all of what Kyle did while there was no Corp still fits with the current continuity.

Same goes for John and Mosaic. This could still have happened for sure. As many people have complained, John Stewart doesn't get much face time these days, so there isn't a lot to go on to say that stuff didn't happen.

One thing that may or may not have been retconned is Guy's time wearing Sinesto's ring. I wish they would mention that (or would have at least during the SCW). This remains to be seen.

The way I see it, most of Volume 3 is still in continuty Post-IC. The main exception being Hal's origin story. Emerald Twilight hasn't ben retconned as much as it's simply been explained in a different way (Parallax being an entity that posessed Hal, etc.). Some things from the padt have actually been contradicted and therefore are worthy of the tem "retcon". However, I would caution my fellow fans that just because something isn't mentioned anymore, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Not talking about such and such a time when Kyle and Nero went at it doesn't mean it was "retconned" out of existance, it simply means it hasn't been talked about for a while... and maybe doesn't need to be.
                    SuperBatLantern
                    Kyle's Nude Model
                    Last edited by SuperBatLantern; 11-21-2010, 05:41 PM. Reason: typos
                    "You're talking to the guy who went toe-to-toe with your master, who beat Parallax, who wiped the floor with everyone from Mongul to Oblivion... You still want a piece? - Kyle Rayner (GLC #53)

Comment

i agree with SuperbatLantern its never actually been said what is gone and what isn't. the origin is different but that doesn't mean the rest of the stories are gone as well
                      Imagination, how can something so destructive create something so beautiful

Comment

I believe that several of them have been wiped from history.

Comment

Good riddance to Emerald Dawn I and II. The whole drunk driving Hal was terrible, as was how much of a loser he was. I much prefer Secret Origin, and look forward to Secret Origin 2 wiping ED II off the map.

Geoffcon or not.

Comment

i love all this discussion about the stories, but coming from my perspective as a comic follower for over 30 years, i've begun to look at every story arc as an elseworlds type of thing changing as frequently as writers change ... in other words, i don't take anything as canon or seriously ... we are talking about fictitious characters after all ...

please don't get me wrong though ... i am very serious about my love and passion for comics and good story telling, but i'm not gonna debate the whole thing of an imaginary world where imaginary characters are heroes ... ya know ???

once again, i LOVE comics and the characters ... send my hate mail to Bono please ... lol

Comment

Yeah, it's almost as if each of the four volumes are their own continuity.

Comment

Working...
                              X