Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about a Green Lantern Universe Online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should everybody start out Earth based or could you choose to be from some other planet?
    Time,Space and Will Power

Comment

Originally posted by Lantern of Gallifrey View Post
      Should everybody start out Earth based or could you choose to be from some other planet?
      I would think that Oa would be the starting point.

Specifically in "boot camp" with Kilowog.

EDIT : I'm retarded. I just read the post again and I totally misunderstood it at first glance.

You should be able to choose from any number of planets.

Comment

I think if they do a major expansion focused on outer space adventures for DCUO it could be awesome we could have 30 level and higher content, we could have not just GL so that way people don't feel its too narrow in scope, maybe we could have something with the New Gods, but the major focus could be GL and OA as you starting base unless you are a member of the Sinestro Crop which of course would be on the Villains side. They could fit it into the story line very easily. Maybe something in the future happen that changes the war with Brainic because of the GL or the New Gods and Darkside. Maybe I'm being silly but I'm bored with just the two cities we have on the game. There's so much more we could be seeing in the world, Smallville Coast City, Sorry I'm rambling, I don't know if they would be in the other corps I doubt it, no need too, we just need The Green and the Yellow.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dr. Naysay;562692]I would think that Oa would be the starting point.

I think that that is a great idea. From there you could choose to go to another corps.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
            I would think that Oa would be the starting point.

EDIT : I'm retarded. I just read the post again and I totally misunderstood it at first glance.

You should be able to choose from any number of planets.
            If heroes get GLC, then villains should get SC.

As for GLs starting out on Oa...I thought the groups of lanterns are stuck on earth or something...

Comment

I would base it on the movie universe and make it like some of the Star Wars games where you pick your character from a few presets [humanoid, other aliens, male/female]. Offer a few smaller details like badge positioning, color breaks, costume textures, masks [on or off] and then start on Oa right before Sinestro gets a yellow ring and rebels against the Guardians or some other big turning point in the GLC mythos. Begining with training from Kilowog would be the best way to go into such a game, and afterwards Salaak could give you missions. Search and Rescue missions [finding lost Lanterns], Evacuations [saving several people from harm by transport], and then of course other alien threats and bosses.

Aside from Sinestro and maybe Parallax going into Hal or something, villains I would go with would be the original Legion idea for the movie, the Controllers [with either brainwashed Darkstars or Effigies as minions], the Spider Guild [with Sun Eater tech], Atrocitus [without a red ring, the last of the 5 Inversions], shape shifting Durlans, and maybe some Starros.

Online would be good for co-op search and rescue missions as well as evacuations, P vs P in continued training with Kilowog, and boss battles.

~KL~

Comment

I hear a lot about green for good yellow for bad but shouldn't all the corps be available.

Comment

i would like to see OA as a starting place, but we start off as blank lanterns, no actual lantern designation until after the test with kilowog, after that your lantern corps is choosen, from there you go to a new planet for training with that corps training advisor, then go on missions, do other levels and stuff, fights, wars, as sillyxander said do story arcs, go to dc universes major locations and stuff, theres lots of stuff that can be done, also you won't be playing any of the major corps members, you'll meet them, maybe go on a mission with or for them but thats it, have some major dc players such as superman, batman, flash, green arrow, young justice, the outsiders, characters like that, would be a major game, should be played online as in a browser game...
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2011, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Have it ask you a few moral and ethics questions when you start, then have it do a reaction test on how you feel about certain images. Then based on those results, have it select your corps. After that, use procedural generation to make a random planet and species for your lantern. And when I say random, I mean random. Tilt it a little heavy on hominid shapes, but their should be a chance of being a gas cloud or a bug or whatever.

Once you are out of the gate with your species and corps, it should let you craft your own lantern and ring style. From that point you should be taken to the base of operations of whatever corps you are in.

You should go through training from the basic to the really detailed stuff. Along the way you should have some other procedurally generated fellow rookies who are training along side you. Some of them should be friendly towards you, and others more of rivals.

After training, you should patrol your sector, mainly focused on your homeworld, with the guardians giving you missions every once in a while. You would obviously be facing off against your other lantern color counterparts when you run across them. And team up with fellow members of your colored corps when you need to.

Through your actions you should be able to strength relationships with other lanterns or damage them. If a certain set of circumstances is met, like say your rival in training is brushed the wrong way a certain number of times, then he could change corps and become your major enemy. This could set up other storylines that would unfold and lead to a conclusion where you eventually face off against the black lanterns with or without certain allies.

As for a server set up, it would be nice to see something limited to allowing only 360 members per corps, 2520 total. This would be a small enough number for you to get to know most of the people of your corps and work together for major actions. As for worlds, I would think a 4 to 1 ratio of non lantern to lantern populated worlds would work. You would be able to visit worlds where other lanterns are from as well as some procedurally generated worlds where civilizations that have not produced a lantern are. In addition there would probably need to be a 1 to 1 ratio of non populated worlds to populated worlds. Places for battles to occur and people to hide out. And I think it goes without saying, worlds should be destroyable, all worlds. So theoretically a group of red lanterns could decide to destroy the homeworld of a green lantern who killed a few red lanterns, that is if they can find the planet he is from.

The reason for infighting prior to the arrival of the black lanterns would be pretty much for allowing you a good starting spot in the next server. If you manage to make it through blackest night on the server you will start off in the next server as a full fledged lantern, no need to train, allowing you the chance to get an upper hand in the fight.

Anyway, that is my idea of a fun online lantern game, how realistic it would be to program that, well it would be really difficult and a massive game. But I can dream.

Edit: To clarify, 360 players per corps per server, and 360 NPC per corps per server.
                    Cid Jacobs
                    Doctor Spectrum
                    Last edited by Cid Jacobs; 04-11-2011, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lantern of Gallifrey View Post
                      I hear a lot about green for good yellow for bad but shouldn't all the corps be available.
                      No, not if it's a GREEN Lantern game. I'm actually getting sick of the other colors being around so much and taking attention away from the real deal. And I'm sorry but if I was a new fan coming into it and bought a GREEN Lantern game, I'd be pissed if I was issued a red, orange, violet, blue or indigo ring.

For the Sinestro's I would just intro them as a GL and over the course of 2-5 mini missions have them go rogue and accept a yellow ring. If it's based on the movie I would just have a feared GL enlisted in the Sinestro Corps like it's just begining to build itself up. Switch the missions up to Search and Destroy, Mass killings/enslaving aliens, stealing stuff for Sinestro, etc.... and GL's for bosses.

~KL~

Comment

At first I was like...

no other corps... that's stupid.

BUT THEN....

I was all like....

ARCHTYPES!!!!!

Sorry but City of Heroes is my only real source for "MMORPG Vocab" so feel free to fill in...

Red Lanterns would be Self Healing/Tanking
                        Orange Lanterns would be Controllers/Offense
                        Yellow Lanterns would be High Volume Offense
                        Green Lanterns would be the "ideal" balance of Offense and Defense
                        Blue Lanterns would be Healing/Defense
                        Indigo Lanterns would be Controllers/Healing
                        Violet Lanterns would be High Volume Offense/Controllers

Or something like that...

Comment

SOE has stated that they will introduce hard light powers in DCUO in a future patch or expansion probably release alongside the movie.

Sig by Zander Yurami

Comment

Originally posted by Lotrek View Post
                            SOE has stated that they will introduce hard light powers in DCUO in a future patch or expansion probably release alongside the movie.
                            June/July time they are adding Hard Light, Lightning and Rock based powers. (This probably rumour so please don't think it's fact.)
                            Archrival
                            Fatality's Blacksmith
                            Last edited by Archrival; 04-11-2011, 11:57 AM.

"In fearful day, in raging night,
                            With strong hearts full, our souls ignite.
                            When all seems lost in the War of Light,Look to the stars, for hope burns bright!
                            "
                            I Can Rp you under the table so don't even try anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Archrival View Post
                              June/July time they are adding Hard Light, Lightning and Rock based powers. (This probably rumour so please don't think it's fact.)
                              ....Kyle as ion used hard light powers with no ring, those wanting to be lanterns if they don't give us rings could pretend to be doing that.

but as for the electrical powers....this means I'll have to remake my rip off of reverse flash on there :P

Comment

With the lightning power I'm gonna make a Marvel Family kinda character, with handblasters.

"In fearful day, in raging night,
                                With strong hearts full, our souls ignite.
                                When all seems lost in the War of Light,Look to the stars, for hope burns bright!
                                "
                                I Can Rp you under the table so don't even try anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X