No announcement yet.

The definitive anti-Hal post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I was actually in a good mood when I woke up this morning.

Comment

The guys a idiot, but I do agree we will see dropping numbers after the corps war if they keep going the way they have been. I love both characters. KYle is easily my favorite, but I still love Hal. He always will be THE green lantern to me.
      However Kyle has always had personality. He was always as interesting out of the costume as he was in it...that is a key thing Hal is missing. At the same time Hal has the richest backstory in the history of comics. His downfall made him great. now it's over and he's a GL again. they have to find some way to make him interesting again...and not just make him old and complaining about his back.

Comment

When I first heard about him going back into active service with the Air Force, and then the P.O.W. storyline I thought there'd be a lot of Hal being and doing out of costume without the ring.

That didn't turn out to be the case. Also created an incongruity of Guy being disciplined for taking his ring off durring vacation... but Hal not even getting scolded for not wearing his ring and getting taken out of action for months while on active Corps duty.

Comment

I don't know why.. but sth tells me that Platypus doesn't like Hal..

Comment

Originally posted by 5-ball View Post
            (...)Just like cinnamon toast crunch...I read what I like.
            Seriously, though, I agree with you in that, 5-Ball..

Comment

Originally posted by Raker616 View Post
              To me Hal is truly an amazing character considering that the fans loved him so much that even after 10 years of him being dead they still support him. No matter how bad DC has mismanaged his character and the GL mythos they still support him, no matter how many bad GL stories are told they still support him. If so many people can be so loyal for all of these years and still love a character and mythos that has been pissed on more than one, there must be something to why Hal is as popular as he is.
              It's not like Hal just fell off the map after 'dying', he showed up every few months in guest spots (usually in Kyle's book) playing the mentor; giving advice and sounding a lot like a Guardian. He even got his own book, which I'll point out sold rather badly.

So, it's not like he was out of the public eye over that 10 years.

I have to agree with about 100% of what Platypus has to say. Hell, I've said a lot of it myself before. But, I agree with Parrylakks when he said that it's about personality. I like Hal, I really do, my main complaint about him is that he doesn't have a lot of personality and he's nearly infallible.

How is it that a guy who has a limited imagination at best is the greatest at using an item that is only limited only by his imagination?

Thats why Kyle is my favorite, He was the GL of my generation. He had personality, and a comparable willpower. He had a wealth of imagination. He was an artist. I think some of his early iconic moments involve Hal, but they also involve Major Force, Mongul, and in DC One million.

Comment

Originally posted by Satyrquaze View Post
                How is it that a guy who has a limited imagination at best is the greatest at using an item that is only limited only by his imagination?
                but ya got to remember, the ring don't run off imagination, It runs off willpower.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerRingE3 View Post
                  but ya got to remember, the ring don't run off imagination, It runs off willpower.
                  Sure, but being somewhat creative helps out a lot.

Comment

I believe that to a point(makin traps, Holding cells,etc) but when the enemy comes, your not gonna make them a giant mona lisa, your gonna blast'em and that don't take much creativity.

Comment

I believe that to a point(makin traps, Holding cells,etc) but when the enemy comes, your not gonna make them a giant mona lisa, your gonna blast'em and that don't take much creativity.
                      Having a lot of gas doesn't make you a good driver.

Comment

Having a lot of gas doesn't make you a good driver.
                        lets just call it a combo of both

Comment

lets just call it a combo of both
                          We can go with that.

Comment

That's a big misnomer Hal was the most creative GL with a ring that i've seen he just chooses the most direct way to use his willpower during a fight. Hal could phase, create all sorts of different constructs, and do nearly the impossible with the ring during the 60's and 70's. Too bad I don't have any of those comics anymore so I can't do a great breakdown but i'm sure someone who's read those comics can tell you that Hal was very creative with his ring.
                            "If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".

Comment

Another post of N.T. Platypus:

My favorite piece of pro-Hal smoke and mirrors, the 'does what needs to be done' speach goes something like this (I'm paraphasing since I don't have my comic collection near me):

"Guy's constructs are all energy. Sparks fly off them.

John's constructs are mechanical. you can actually see the nuts and bolts, and the gears turning.

Kyle's constucts are artistic. They are constantly changing as he re-imagines them.

That's the difference between me and them. I just do what needs to be done."

Pretty.

BUT...

If you take out Guy, John and Kyle all you have is essentially:

"I'm Hal Jordan. I just do what needs to be done"

Comment

Sure, but being somewhat creative helps out a lot.
                                It certainly does and Hal was incredibly creative when it came to overcoming the yellow weakness. That's where his imagination benefitted him more than fancy looking constructs. As much as theyellow weakness was a bit silly, I wish they'd re-emphasize Hal's skills in use of the ring rather than simply pouring on the willpower.
                                Kane2814
                                Weaponer of Qward
                                Last edited by Kane2814; 11-04-2007, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X