Fall and Rise of Capt. Atom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall and Rise of Capt. Atom

Just got caught up on the last three issues and I've gotta say I like what kind of story they're crafting with this. A million times better than what I read of the Death of Hawkman.

SPOILERS....

The beginning of the series opens up some time after CA's New52 comic , in 2013, and his powers are out of control. He's still trying to be a hero despite the world's views of him, and pre Rebirth Superman, Cyborg, and GL/Hal show up and even make mention of the Flash's appearance in the aforementioned series. What happens next has the League trying to get CA back to his base of operations in Kansas and what happens appears to be the complete destruction of a town.

Going into issue #2 you find out CA is back and in the 90's before superheroes debuted in the new mainstream universe, and living life as a normal human. He meets a woman, and just before he can marry her his powers return and send him back to the future. She found out she was preggers just before he disappears. This issue was particularly odd because much of the narration sounded like the bits of Watchmen narrated by Dr. Manhattan.

Issue #3 Cap is back and in 2017, his powers are changing, and his look seems to be shifting back to more what it was rather than a solid blue energy being. In all honesty I'm hoping for the return of the Alex Ross suit. His old contacts reach out to him and suggest a new alias, since he can shift back to a normal human, and offer to help him sell himself to the public as an all new all different Capt. Atom. He then finds out that the town he seemingly destroyed... only had three deaths from the accident. And then he finds out after discovering the woman he'd had relations with in the 90's was dead, by somebody unknown to him AND the reader, that he's got a seventeen year old son.

I AM SO PUMPED FOR THIS SERIES.

I know it's going to tie into what's going on with the Watchmen, I just can't wait to see how. The art is top notch, the story keeps a good enough pace. Three more issues to go.

Please don't skip this series because you have preconceptions about Captain Atom. This is clearly taking Rebirth like steps to *fixing* the character but still tying it into his more recent history.

~//V\\~

SPOILERS for issue #4....

...so this issue has Cap playing ball with the government and using the story he's an all new Capt. Atom. He feeds the media the story the government tells him to, and shows them a display of his power and his fine tuned control [clearly setting him apart from the other Cap]. He also presents himself as being anti-government and a hero of the people...

A guy getting the electrical chair on death row was caught in the quantum energy discharge of Cap back in '13 and finally came out of stasis to become a pretty badass enemy. It also has Cap going to Charlton Investigations to learn more about the son who's apparently off the grid. Oh yeah, the person[s] who sent Cap the pic of his son in the first place..? It was the government suits. Sneaky bastards.

This issue also debuted his official new look. A deep shade of red with a metallic shine on it with an atom symbol drawn in the center of the chest in white. I'm generally a 'less is more' kinda guy, but the suit needs... something... IDK what though. Maybe make the dot in the center of the symbol blue.

I get the feeling with his half Asian kid, now using the name Genji, we're gonna get another legacy character soon. It's gonna be interesting to see how they spin it, I was thinking the other day about how awesome Bombshell was and what a male counterpart would be called... IMHO if this is where it's headed I'd like to see them reuse the name NUKLON.

I REALLY want another Cap ongoing, but I doubt he's got enough fans. He needs to be on another JL team sooner than later [Batman's new JLoA?] and maybe have an adventure or two with Superman in Action Comics like they were doing just before the New52.

~//V\\~

Comment

If it helps, while it's not a heist comic, the tone and down on his luck nature puts me in the mind of the Ant-Man film. Cap is a hero who has his problems that has to put a face on for the government, all the while searching for his kid.

~//V\\~

Comment

Working...
      X