The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 03-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Send a message via AIM to Old School
Default Green Lantern Movie News Discussion Thread

from mania.com

so many threads concerning one movie, figure I just make a new one than trying to figure out where to put it in.

Last week we presented you with a smattering of rumors from around the web that indicated 'Star Trek' star Chris Pine was at the top of the list of young actors poised to take the role of Hal Jordan in the 'Green Lantern' movie. Indeed, two websites reported independently that an offer for the role had been extended to Pine.

Well, we've had a chance to check with reliable sources, who tell us it just isn't so.

One source told us the producers of the film are "not even close to making an offer" for the lead role. The reason? The casting director on the film hadn't even signed on until late last week, the same day that the offer supposedly went to Pine. In fact, the casting director plans an exhaustive search which may result in a star, an up-and-comer or a complete unknown landing the job.

However, our source does agree that Chris Pine is on model for the producers' view of Hal Jordan. As far as short lists go, we're told every agent who has a client that's on model is pushing their actor towards the production. So, its almost certain Pine's reps have been waving the green flag, trying to attract attention to their guy (which may account for the current buzz). He may even land the part some day.

But at this poing no offer has gone out and the lead role in 'Green Lantern' has yet to be cast.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

1. That's NOT an overall update, at all.

2. I love how they are 2weeks late from contacting their "sources" on the report.

3. At this point when it comes to Pine, you either trust the initial reports LR/IESB or you trust the denials Collider/Mania

If they wanted a denial, they could have gone to Chris Pine's pub or agent, they didn't. They decided to go to the unnamed casting director...in short, I don't believe them. I'll take the duo who breaks stories on the regular than the other sites who don't, and want to "kill" takingameeting reports. Man up and try to break stories before you end up making a fool of yourselves trying to dead anothers.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

I just post em as I read them sorry and this was posted today
Old 03-27-2009, 05:07 AM   #4
Lord Malvolio
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Malvolio

Thanks for the update. Like I said before, I am sure the producers of GL are taking a wait-and-see approach with Trek first. If it tanks, they won't want Pine, but if it blows up, Pine will be a hot comadity.

Lord Malvolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #5
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Could someone change the title of this thread to reflect today's actual date? Simply saying "today" isn't going to be very helpful tomorrow or the next day...
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:14 AM   #6
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Yeah it is. When you see that this topic has been bumped. Like now...

But you want the latest news, stay tuned to this part of the forum. Its usually filled with the latest news..like the confirmation from Chris Pine talks I posted earlier.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
Lord Malvolio
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Malvolio

My thing is, while I don't mine Pine being offered up for the role, it will just be hard to accept him as Kirk AND Hal at the same time. Yeah I know, Harrison Ford is both Han Solo AND Indy, but he can get away with it. The role of Kirk is still Shatners, so Pine really needs to "stay in this role" for another two movies to gel in his role here. Jumping to GL so soon, may actually damage both roles. "Wait Kirk is GL now?" "So Green Lantern is also Capt. Kirk?"

Lord Malvolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
highball

I don't think it's gonna be that difficult to reconcile between the two. Downey Jr. is Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes. Bale is Batman and John Conners(Terminator). Shia Lebeouf in Transformers and Indiana Jones. The public isn't really that dense to have a problem with the concept of playin' more than one action role.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
W.West

Its not the sense of doing two action movies. Its two similar roles.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Yeah it is. When you see that this topic has been bumped. Like now...

I like that rationality
Old 04-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #11
Disjaukifa

I think Chris Pine would be a good choice. He was the look . . . which is really hard to describe, its just one of those things you know. I mean Hal Jordan was an airforce and the Ferris Pilot.

I think Chris Pine has the look of a pilot and I also think it would be a good choice for the roll.

To be honest I am most curious about how they are going to do the ring actions. I want it to look real. Its why I like the new Iron Man and Batman movies, they look realistic, not like the batman movies of the 90s.

-Disjaukifa
Old 04-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #12
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2814 View Post
Could someone change the title of this thread to reflect today's actual date? Simply saying "today" isn't going to be very helpful tomorrow or the next day...

sure it is, just post it here when you find something current.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
sure it is, just post it here when you find something current.
No, it's not. It would be true if the thread were bumped only if there were actual new info about the movie, but a thread gets bumped anytime anyone posts anything. Today is April 4th. There hasn't been any "update" about the movie since March 26th. If anything, I'm going to be less interested in checking out this thread because I have no reason to believe there's new movie news just because the thread was bumped.
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #14
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
No, it's not. It would be true if the thread were bumped only if there were actual new info about the movie, but a thread gets bumped anytime anyone posts anything. Today is April 4th. There hasn't been any "update" about the movie since March 26th. If anything, I'm going to be less interested in checking out this thread because I have no reason to believe there's new movie news just because the thread was bumped.
I agree with you, today is april 4th
Old 04-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #15
W.West

Quote:
1. You should always check bumped threads regardless, that's why you're on a discussion board in the first place, to discuss.

2. I partially agree. We should from now on treat this thread like the Green Lantern Appearance thread. Updates only and sticky it to the On The Screen section. Of course a mod would have to agree with this, and enforce it, so you won't have to be bothered with opinions just news.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #16
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

my opinion, just check back here every now and then and who knows you might get some news or just opinions.

either way... its something
Old 04-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #17
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

There are about 4-5 threads I could merge and stick if it makes it easier.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #18
W.West

Well don't combine all the threads, because that would defeat the purpose of a News thread with no discussion, and those who want to discuss would have no choice but to create more threads. lol So, choose wisely.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #19
W.West

4/16/09

"The Green Lantern" Has $150 Million Budget.

Warner Bros has decided to shoot The Green Lantern at Fox Studios Australia in Sydney. THR is reporting that the film’s budget is around $150 million. To put that in perspective (and these are all estimated numbers…), Fantastic Four was $100M, Iron Man was $140M, Watchmen was $150M, The Dark Knight was $185M, X-Men: The Last Stand was $210M and Spider-Man 3 topped $258M.

But why Australia? The reported $150 million budget is worth a lot more in Sydney. The production was attracted by the decline in value of the Australian dollar, a 15% location rebate from the Australian federal government, on top of the incentives supplied by the New South Wales government.

The film is planning to begin in July with actual filming scheduled to start in November. The film is currently set to hit theaters on December 17th 2010.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #20
Willpower
The Gunslinger

good info, now we just need our official Hal
Willpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #21
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I just cazn't believe it's really happening, and that it's happening so quickly. They start filming in November, and we'll be seeing the film in theaters almost exactly a year later. By this time next year, if not sooner, we'll all be flocking to the theater to see the trailers!
Old 04-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #22
Willpower
The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
I just cazn't believe it's really happening, and that it's happening so quickly. They start filming in November, and we'll be seeing the film in theaters almost exactly a year later. By this time next year, if not sooner, we'll all be flocking to the theater to see the trailers!

They have a great director, thats for sure. But the Hal will make or break this film for me. I'm eagerly waiting to hear the official word!
Willpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #23
Disjaukifa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willpower View Post
They have a great director, thats for sure. But the Hal will make or break this film for me. I'm eagerly waiting to hear the official word!
I totally agree, Hal has to be done right, if its done wrong the whole movie will go south very very fast . . .

-Disjaukifa
Old 04-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #24
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disjaukifa View Post
I totally agree, Hal has to be done right, if its done wrong the whole movie will go south very very fast . . .

-Disjaukifa
VERY true. They can't afford to make the wrong decision on this one, not with 150 million on the line. They do seem to be doing everything right so far, including putting an accomplished name director like Martin Campbell. The second they signed him, they gave the movie a sense of legitimacy it didn't have before.

I'd prefer a mid 20s Hal, just starting out, that can play the role for three films if need be. Someone who personifies Hal Jordan as much as Christopher Reeve did Clark Kent, or Toby McGuire did Peter Parker.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #25
Disjaukifa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
VERY true. They can't afford to make the wrong decision on this one, not with 150 million on the line. They do seem to be doing everything right so far, including putting an accomplished name director like Martin Campbell. The second they signed him, they gave the movie a sense of legitimacy it didn't have before.

I'd prefer a mid 20s Hal, just starting out, that can play the role for three films if need be. Someone who personifies Hal Jordan as much as Christopher Reeve did Clark Kent, or Toby McGuire did Peter Parker.
I still think Chris Pine could do, but I agree, they need someone that is Hal Jordan, not just acting Hal Jordan . . . even Christan Bale to Batman and to I'm msorry but all the other batmans did count worth a (&*&*# except cor Adam West . . .

-Disjaukifa

Tags
movie