The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2015, 12:40 AM   #1026
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer
 
Hypo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth-42
Posts: 22,311
Default

Quote:
In early 2016 fans will be treated to a second wave of Graphic Novel & DVD/Blu-Ray sets from DC Entertainment. This time, featured titles will include Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, Justice League + Justice League: Throne of Atlantis.

The reveal of the new sets is on the heels of the successful release of the first wave of Graphic Novel & DVD/Blu-Ray sets that launched this summer that included: Batman: Year One, Batman Black And White + Batman: Gotham Knight, The Death Of Superman + Superman: Doomsday, JLA Earth 2 + Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths, Justice League + Justice League: War and Wonder Woman. The first six films and the groundbreaking graphic novels that influenced them can be purchased in an exclusive slipcase starting November 3rd and is a must-have for the Holiday season.
Quote:
Not waiting until Batman Day, Mondo has announced it will release a Batman: The Animated Series vinyl box set, featuring the musical scores from 16 episodes.

As IGN details, Justin Erickson of Phantom City Creative created new artwork for each of the episodes, represented on eight vinyl covers, including “Two-Face,” “On Leather Wings,” “Beware the Gray Ghost,” “Mudslide,” “Joker’s Favor,” “The Man Who Killed Batman” and “If You’re So Smart, Why Aren’t You Rich?”


In addition, the set includes six 4-inch by 6-inch screen-printed handbills depicting villains from the 1992 episode “Almost Got ‘Im, in which some of Batman’s rogues recount the teams they almost killed the Dark Knight.

Batman: The Animated Series vinyl box set will be available for preorder in November.

Update: Limited to 1,200 copies, the box set will be available for preorder on Nov. 18.


__________________

Last edited by Hypo; 09-25-2015 at 12:43 AM.
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:53 AM   #1027
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

do you think we will ever get a 1970's batman costume for a live action film? it has always been my favorite batman costume


__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:22 AM   #1028
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

BIG NEWS COMING AT NYCC SAYS BATMAN PRODUCER MICHAEL USLAN


Big news is coming at next week's New York Comic-Con regarding what could possibly be the next Batman movie.

Michael Uslan, who has been a producer on every Batman movie, told USA Today: "On Saturday October 10 we plan on making a major announcement. Stay tuned. Join us at 1:45 p.m. in one of the large rooms. You won't want to miss what's going to take place there."

More than likely the large room Uslan is talking about is the "Batman: The Bat Universe" panel, which takes place that same Saturday on the Empire Stage at the NYCC Javits Center. Here is the official description:

A veritable who’s who of Bat-talent will gather together in Gotham for “DC Comics – Batman: The Bat-Universe.” Explore the latest adventures of the World’s Greatest Detective with Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo (BATMAN), Amy Chu (POISON IVY: CYCLE OF LIFE AND DEATH), Khary Randolph (WE ARE ROBIN), Tom King and Tim Seeley (GRAYSON), Peter Tomasi (BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT), and James Tynion IV (BATMAN ETERNAL), and be the first to witness never-before-seen art and breaking Batman news. Saturday, 1:30 pm, Empire Stage 1E.

It's pure speculation, but Uslan may be talking about the standalone Ben Affleck Batman movie that has recently been rumored. Affleck has been said to be attached to three Batman movies in which he will star and direct.

Of course, the announcement could be about a number of things as Uslan is also involved with Batman Vs. Superman. It's possible the news could be Justice League related or about another DC movie.

Cosmic Book News will be in attendance at the NYCC. You can follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to keep up with all the news as it happens.

"Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" has a March 25, 2016 release starring Ben Affleck as Batman, Henry Cavill as Superman, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Laurence Fishburne as Perry White, Diane Lane as Martha Kent, Jeremy Irons as Alfred, Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, Ray Fisher as Cyborg with Callan Mulvey, Holly Hunter as Senator Finch and Tao Okamoto as Mercy Graves. Justice League is to follow directed by Zack Snyder as well.


http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/conten...-michael-uslan
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:22 AM   #1029
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

BIG NEWS COMING AT NYCC SAYS BATMAN PRODUCER MICHAEL USLAN


Big news is coming at next week's New York Comic-Con regarding what could possibly be the next Batman movie.

Michael Uslan, who has been a producer on every Batman movie, told USA Today: "On Saturday October 10 we plan on making a major announcement. Stay tuned. Join us at 1:45 p.m. in one of the large rooms. You won't want to miss what's going to take place there."

More than likely the large room Uslan is talking about is the "Batman: The Bat Universe" panel, which takes place that same Saturday on the Empire Stage at the NYCC Javits Center. Here is the official description:

A veritable who’s who of Bat-talent will gather together in Gotham for “DC Comics – Batman: The Bat-Universe.” Explore the latest adventures of the World’s Greatest Detective with Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo (BATMAN), Amy Chu (POISON IVY: CYCLE OF LIFE AND DEATH), Khary Randolph (WE ARE ROBIN), Tom King and Tim Seeley (GRAYSON), Peter Tomasi (BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT), and James Tynion IV (BATMAN ETERNAL), and be the first to witness never-before-seen art and breaking Batman news. Saturday, 1:30 pm, Empire Stage 1E.

It's pure speculation, but Uslan may be talking about the standalone Ben Affleck Batman movie that has recently been rumored. Affleck has been said to be attached to three Batman movies in which he will star and direct.

Of course, the announcement could be about a number of things as Uslan is also involved with Batman Vs. Superman. It's possible the news could be Justice League related or about another DC movie.

Cosmic Book News will be in attendance at the NYCC. You can follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to keep up with all the news as it happens.

"Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" has a March 25, 2016 release starring Ben Affleck as Batman, Henry Cavill as Superman, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Laurence Fishburne as Perry White, Diane Lane as Martha Kent, Jeremy Irons as Alfred, Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, Ray Fisher as Cyborg with Callan Mulvey, Holly Hunter as Senator Finch and Tao Okamoto as Mercy Graves. Justice League is to follow directed by Zack Snyder as well.


http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/conten...-michael-uslan
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:16 AM   #1030
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer
 
Hypo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth-42
Posts: 22,311
Default

With Pacific Rim 2 now on hold I wonder if del Toro will move back onto that Justice League Dark movie.
__________________
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:28 AM   #1031
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
With Pacific Rim 2 now on hold I wonder if del Toro will move back onto that Justice League Dark movie.
id prefer it if del toro did a swamp thing film. with jla already coming from snyder do we really need a jld? id also like to mention del toro could be an epic director for shazam wich has yet to announce a lead or a director. i mean yea we know rock will be black adam but we havent heard anything since


i know robbie ammel is trying for a batman beyond film if you read what he wrote a day or two ago. he wants to play terry
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:46 AM   #1032
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer
 
Hypo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth-42
Posts: 22,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
id prefer it if del toro did a swamp thing film. with jla already coming from snyder do we really need a jld? id also like to mention del toro could be an epic director for shazam wich has yet to announce a lead or a director. i mean yea we know rock will be black adam but we havent heard anything since
I mean even the team in the JLD book wasn't really a Justice League, whatever the movie winds up being will be even less so.
__________________
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:47 AM   #1033
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe
 
Ωmega Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East TN
Posts: 12,338
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Del Toro has mentioned a time or two Swamp Thing, Deadman, and Etrigan all played roles in his Dark Universe pitch. I think Amell should stick to being Firestorm. They need a younger guy to play Terry like they're finally doing with a cinemattic Spiderman otherwise there's no point. Plus, ya know, Terry needs to come back somehow/someway in the comics too....

~M~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:54 AM   #1034
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
I mean even the team in the JLD book wasn't really a Justice League, whatever the movie winds up being will be even less so.
so you agree jld is pointless? with the technology we have right now it be perfect for a swamp thing franchise . i may not have read all the comics on him but i remember having all the toys in the 90s as a kid


id also like to add del toro could do a constantine franchise but im not sure how thatll work since hes on arrow now even for i think one episode so im not sure how the whole rights thing works out with that
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #1035
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 26,972
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Well, I wouldn't mind del Toro on just about anything BUT I'd prefer Shazam be a light fantasy movie and del Toro do a dark flick. I think JLD would be awesome and you'd still get your Swampy. But I'd take him on a Swamp Thing movie or Constantine.
__________________
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:54 PM   #1036
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe
 
Darth_Primus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 26,065
Default

I would prefer del Toro just stop talking until he starts principle filming of something. If anything, I like to see del Toro do a Zatanna film because I just want to see a Zatanna film and a movie action figure.
__________________
You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!
Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #1037
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Well, I wouldn't mind del Toro on just about anything BUT I'd prefer Shazam be a light fantasy movie and del Toro do a dark flick. I think JLD would be awesome and you'd still get your Swampy. But I'd take him on a Swamp Thing movie or Constantine.
or since they have him already doing warcraft maybe duncan jones on shazam?

i know i mention him a lot but i think hes one of those directors that are great but also underated by the studios
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:12 PM   #1038
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

close up on jay garricks cw flash costume


https://instagram.com/p/8OKYnJPGGD/
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:05 AM   #1039
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer
 
Hypo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth-42
Posts: 22,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
so you agree jld is pointless?
That's not what I said at all. I said that just because it's called Justice League Dark or whatever doesn't mean it'll feel like a "Justice League" movie.

Saying we don't need such a movie because we already have Justice League in the pipeline is like saying Marvel shouldn't be building towards The Defenders on Netflix since we already got The Avengers.
__________________
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:18 AM   #1040
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Saying we don't need such a movie because we already have Justice League in the pipeline is like saying Marvel shouldn't be building towards The Defenders on Netflix since we already got The Avengers.
actually thats another thing i feel we dont need. look maybe i just come from a one group only point of view but seeing as feigie pretty much confirmed recently infinity war will rotate out the current avengers for the new ones that makes sense.

i mean really do people need multiple branches of a group if the first original isnt i guess you can say rotated out dead or retired?


i feel a group show or film should be its one and only thing and not like hey lets see if we can cram so and so into this and call the title new whatever or jl whatever. not everybody needs to be in a group
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #1041
Michael Heide
Heide Finition
 
Michael Heide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 12,013
Default

Do you have problems telling CSI and CSI Miami, CSI NY or CSI Cyber apart?

Because this would be the same. Completely different projects with different characters, different styles and different audiences, that just happen to share the same brand.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:57 PM   #1042
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
Do you have problems telling CSI and CSI Miami, CSI NY or CSI Cyber apart?

Because this would be the same. Completely different projects with different characters, different styles and different audiences, that just happen to share the same brand.
sorry for late response the site keeps screwing up. i wanted to say i dont have issues telling whatever apart i just think like law and order there should be just one law and order. same with just one team of avengers that rotates out as well as jla
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #1043
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Exclusive: HBO Eyeing ‘Watchmen’ TV Series from Zack Snyder



n 2009, during the early days of the current wave of superhero cinema, Zack Snyder brought Alan Moore’s acclaimed comic book limited series Watchmen to life for Warner Bros. Moore’s work is a beast of interconnected and referential storylines, creating quite a challenge for Snyder while making it all the more impressive that he pulled the film off as well as he did. While the feature did fairly well with critics, it wasn’t a runaway hit at the box office; many credited this result to the unwieldy nature of the story, which would conceivably be better suited for a serial adaptation.

It’s with that in mind that we report that Snyder has been meeting with HBO to talk about a Watchmen TV series. Our sources tell us that the meetings about adapting the DC Comics property have taken place, but unfortunately we don’t have any details as to whether this would be a prequel series, a re-imagining of the events of the Watchmen story itself, or a sequel series.

before-watchmen-prequel-series-hbo-zack-snyderIt’s also worth noting that HBO is notoriously difficult to predict until a series has a hard release date. For example, they couldn’t reach a budget compromise with David Fincher for his Utopia series, and shut down the production of Fincher’s half-hour comedy series that he was developing simultaneously. Clout and/or popularity doesn’t automatically mean a greenlight, as further evidenced by the network famously passing on Noah Baumbach‘s star-studded The Corrections pilot.

So while we know that meetings about a Watchmen TV series have taken place, nothing has been greenlit as of this writing. But with Game of Thrones‘ end looming in the next couple of years and original drama programming in short supply, surely HBO is looking for that next big hit. Producing a Warner Bros. property – especially one as potentially huge as Watchmen – under their shared Time Warner parental umbrella sounds like a solid move.

Again, as of this writing, all we know is that Snyder is meeting with HBO to talk about a Watchmen series; any details beyond that point are educated guesses on our part.

Enter Before Watchmen, a 2012 prequel series of comic books from DC Comics. These eight character-centric limited series (and one one-shot) served as background for Moore’s original 1986 12-issue series, and it stands to reason they could very well be the stories that Snyder intends on bringing to HBO as a TV prequel series. If this is indeed the plan, this should come as great news to fans out there who wanted to know more about such characters as Silk Spectre, Comedian, Nite Owl, Ozymandias, Rorschach, and Dr. Manhattan.

watchmen-tv-series-hboInitial comparisons of this plan obviously point to Marvel’s TV wing of their own cinematic universe, folding in ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Agent Carter, but more relevant is their partnership with Netflix for The Defenders, a series of shows focusing on Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist, which will spill over into each other’s worlds and onto the big screen as well. (The Defenders vs Watchmen: Any takers?)

It’s unclear at this point if Snyder is indeed planning to produce and adapt the Before Watchmen series, or if he’s pitching an original interpretation of available Watchmen material. We’re not sure if this new project envisions character-centric series that would each stand on their own (except for the narrative tie-ins to Snyder’s 2009 film) or if it will start out as individual stories that eventually cross-pollinate, following the Marvel plan. What’s unlikely is any kind of crossover into the current DCCU, as Nite Owl/Dr. Manhattan meeting their meta selves in Batman/Superman would like annihilate the cinematic universe.

Regardless of the minutiae of how a Watchmen series might come to be, I’m thrilled that this possibility exists at all. I’m less familiar with Before Watchmen than I am with Moore’s original work – if you’re in the same boat, check out Tommy’s review of some of the initial issues back in 2012 – but the chance to see these characters brought to life again in a meaningful way is an exciting one. (We have yet to hear any comments from Moore, who turned down the rights to Watchmen in 2010 when DC offered them to him, contingent upon doing prequel and sequel stories. Personally, I’d rather have creative control than no control at all.)

If you’re unfamiliar with the Watchmen comics or the 2009 movie, check out the excellent trailer below to get a taste:


Again, let me reiterate that all we know for certain is that meetings between Snyder and HBO have taken place regarding a Watchmen series; we’ll update with more information when it becomes available.

Fans, now’s your opportunity to chime in! Do you want to see Watchmen back in action? If yes, who would be on your dream cast wish list? Should DC/Warner Bros./HBO/Snyder leave well enough alone? Let us know in the comments!


http://collider.com/watchmen-tv-seri...collidersocial
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #1044
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

i like it a lot


CHECK OUT WHAT MICHAEL KEATON’S BATMAN 3 SUIT WOULD HAVE LOOKED LIKE


If any of you have found yourselves asking this question:

What if Tim Burton and Michael Keaton would have done Batman Forever?

You’re not alone.

Many people have posted that very same question – and now, we get to know a little more about what the suit may have looked like had Michael Keaton been in Batman Forever. The sculpt was designed by Jose Fernandez – who also designed Catwoman’s cowl. Check the sculpt out below:















http://peeltheorange.net/2015/09/26/...e-looked-like/
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:32 PM   #1045
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 26,972
Blog Entries: 2
Default

I thought Burton had made it clear during BR he wouldn't be returning. Could be wrong.
__________________
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #1046
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I thought Burton had made it clear during BR he wouldn't be returning. Could be wrong.
out of the 90's batman films i thought returns and forever were good for what they are. i know a lot of people shit on batman forever and if burton had done it i am really curious to see how that would of played out expecially with robin and the villains. i admit im not the biggest burton fan but i like his older stuff over his current crap
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:44 PM   #1047
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer
 
Hypo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth-42
Posts: 22,311
Default

Exclusive: George Miller says he won't be directing Man of Steel 2: 'I hope my next film doesn't have any stunts'
__________________
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:13 AM   #1048
W.West
Moderator
 
W.West's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Detroit,MI & LosAngeles, CA
Posts: 36,771
Blog Entries: 69
Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West
Default

Call me crazy, but I would rather this be Before Watchmen than actual Watchmen. I haven't read Before Watchmen, but I gotta think there's SOMETHING worth adapting in those stories. Then again, this could be one of those Peter Berg/Friday Night Lights situations where the director really loves the source material and after he makes a big great movie from it, he says it wasn't justice enough and decides to do an even better tv series about it.


That's fine. He could realistically crank out 2 movies before he'd have to board an already scheduled DC movie. I think WB will eventually get him on one of them.
__________________
W.West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #1049
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe
 
Darth_Primus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 26,065
Default

Yeah, I don't want to see a Watchmen series. One of the great things about Watchmen it had a beginning and end. I don't want "untold stories" of Watchmen just to milk the franchise.

I don't know if Miller will be young enough to direct a DC film when it comes his time.
__________________
You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!
Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:00 PM   #1050
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer
 
Hypo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth-42
Posts: 22,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
Exclusive: HBO Eyeing ‘Watchmen’ TV Series from Zack Snyder



n 2009, during the early days of the current wave of superhero cinema, Zack Snyder brought Alan Moore’s acclaimed comic book limited series Watchmen to life for Warner Bros. Moore’s work is a beast of interconnected and referential storylines, creating quite a challenge for Snyder while making it all the more impressive that he pulled the film off as well as he did. While the feature did fairly well with critics, it wasn’t a runaway hit at the box office; many credited this result to the unwieldy nature of the story, which would conceivably be better suited for a serial adaptation.

It’s with that in mind that we report that Snyder has been meeting with HBO to talk about a Watchmen TV series. Our sources tell us that the meetings about adapting the DC Comics property have taken place, but unfortunately we don’t have any details as to whether this would be a prequel series, a re-imagining of the events of the Watchmen story itself, or a sequel series.

before-watchmen-prequel-series-hbo-zack-snyderIt’s also worth noting that HBO is notoriously difficult to predict until a series has a hard release date. For example, they couldn’t reach a budget compromise with David Fincher for his Utopia series, and shut down the production of Fincher’s half-hour comedy series that he was developing simultaneously. Clout and/or popularity doesn’t automatically mean a greenlight, as further evidenced by the network famously passing on Noah Baumbach‘s star-studded The Corrections pilot.

So while we know that meetings about a Watchmen TV series have taken place, nothing has been greenlit as of this writing. But with Game of Thrones‘ end looming in the next couple of years and original drama programming in short supply, surely HBO is looking for that next big hit. Producing a Warner Bros. property – especially one as potentially huge as Watchmen – under their shared Time Warner parental umbrella sounds like a solid move.

Again, as of this writing, all we know is that Snyder is meeting with HBO to talk about a Watchmen series; any details beyond that point are educated guesses on our part.

Enter Before Watchmen, a 2012 prequel series of comic books from DC Comics. These eight character-centric limited series (and one one-shot) served as background for Moore’s original 1986 12-issue series, and it stands to reason they could very well be the stories that Snyder intends on bringing to HBO as a TV prequel series. If this is indeed the plan, this should come as great news to fans out there who wanted to know more about such characters as Silk Spectre, Comedian, Nite Owl, Ozymandias, Rorschach, and Dr. Manhattan.

watchmen-tv-series-hboInitial comparisons of this plan obviously point to Marvel’s TV wing of their own cinematic universe, folding in ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Agent Carter, but more relevant is their partnership with Netflix for The Defenders, a series of shows focusing on Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist, which will spill over into each other’s worlds and onto the big screen as well. (The Defenders vs Watchmen: Any takers?)

It’s unclear at this point if Snyder is indeed planning to produce and adapt the Before Watchmen series, or if he’s pitching an original interpretation of available Watchmen material. We’re not sure if this new project envisions character-centric series that would each stand on their own (except for the narrative tie-ins to Snyder’s 2009 film) or if it will start out as individual stories that eventually cross-pollinate, following the Marvel plan. What’s unlikely is any kind of crossover into the current DCCU, as Nite Owl/Dr. Manhattan meeting their meta selves in Batman/Superman would like annihilate the cinematic universe.

Regardless of the minutiae of how a Watchmen series might come to be, I’m thrilled that this possibility exists at all. I’m less familiar with Before Watchmen than I am with Moore’s original work – if you’re in the same boat, check out Tommy’s review of some of the initial issues back in 2012 – but the chance to see these characters brought to life again in a meaningful way is an exciting one. (We have yet to hear any comments from Moore, who turned down the rights to Watchmen in 2010 when DC offered them to him, contingent upon doing prequel and sequel stories. Personally, I’d rather have creative control than no control at all.)

If you’re unfamiliar with the Watchmen comics or the 2009 movie, check out the excellent trailer below to get a taste:


Again, let me reiterate that all we know for certain is that meetings between Snyder and HBO have taken place regarding a Watchmen series; we’ll update with more information when it becomes available.

Fans, now’s your opportunity to chime in! Do you want to see Watchmen back in action? If yes, who would be on your dream cast wish list? Should DC/Warner Bros./HBO/Snyder leave well enough alone? Let us know in the comments!


http://collider.com/watchmen-tv-seri...collidersocial
HBO Confirms “Preliminary Discussions” For ‘Watchmen’ TV Series
Quote:
“Preliminary discussions regarding Watchmen have occurred, but we have no additional information and no deals are in place,” the network said in a statement following a report by Collider about the meeting with Snyder.

I hear that the discussion of a possible Watchmen series took place months ago, and there are no active talks going on with Snyder, who is busy working on a slew of tentpole DC movies: Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Justice League. Because of his full plate, he might not be able to be closely involved in a Watchmen series even if it goes forward.
__________________
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.