The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Action Figures & Toys > Custom Figures
FLASHCHAT

Old 10-17-2007, 05:03 AM   #1
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Thumbs up Jack-O-Lanterns custom GL Figs

I am currently trying to put together a custom DC Direct figure of my own. I've read some of the proccess you guys go through and from other sources I've found online. But I figured I'd ask a couple questions to see what the bests methods would be.

I noticed alot of people use acrylic paint. But do you use spray paint or brushes. I've started out using spray paints but it seems like it's taking forever. Coat after coat. But I figured if I used brushes then it would come out uneven or show brush strokes....

With Sculpee, or whatever people use to sculpt. How do I make it solid? Does it need to be cooked? How do I do it?

I'm new to all of this. I feel stupid asking what is probably obvious questions, but I really want to make this come out right. When I'm done I'll post pics up on here.

So far I bought the figure for the body I want. I removed the head and arms. Now I just need to finish the black paint on the body and add all the details to the costume. Then I will paint the head and sculpt the mask but I just need to know the best way to go through the whole process. Hopefully you guys can help me with this. Thanks!

Last edited by Jack-O-Lantern; 08-31-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
GLJIMT

Sculpty - sucks major ass and does need cooked the only way to do it on a fig is to hold a lighter to it.

From what I've found online seems like the best stuff everyone likes is "Green Stuff" - google that and it will give you the actual product name I think its Kneadite

according to ringslinger74 one of the best GL customizers out there multi layers of paint make it way easier to scratch the paint I think he uses a brush
Old 10-17-2007, 06:15 AM   #3
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Ok. So sculpy sucks. I'll try to find the other stuff. So for now I'll try to finish the paint job. Is there a specific brand of acrylic paint? I'm gonna have to buy some new stuff and add all the details on using a brush.

Thanks GLJIM!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:58 AM   #4
GLJIMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
Ok. So sculpy sucks. I'll try to find the other stuff. So for now I'll try to finish the paint job. Is there a specific brand of acrylic paint? I'm gonna have to buy some new stuff and add all the details on using a brush.

Thanks GLJIM!
not really acrylic paint is for the most part acrylic paint - I know ringslinger74 uses Testors acrylic - though I guess thats hard to locate here in Ohio you can get it at Pat Catan's craft store but I think that is a local store as their headquarters are here
Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #5
ringslinger74

Milliput is another good sculpting material.

You can buy Testors "Acryl" on Testors.com. I'm looking into new acrylic paints to use though.

-Erik
Old 10-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Gonza2814
Green Lantern

I'm trying Apoxie Sculpt right now. I don't have any complaints. About the acrylics I'm using some called Vallejo. It's a spanish brand and I read about them in Warhammer forums and stuff like WW2 soldiers forums and all that crap.

I'm also begining on this customizing world so I reccomend you to look at the tutorials here http://www.figurerealm.com/ they are very helpful.

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...read.php?t=939

Last edited by Gonza2814; 12-02-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Gonza2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
Darth_Ennis

I am the customs moderator of another message board but it's not my policy to advertise on other boards wothout permission. I think it's just rude. But, with the admin's permission, I can post a couple of links to a few turorials that we have there that could help you out.

AS far as sculpy is concerned, putting it in boiling water for about 2 minutes will cure it. It's what I use. You should NEVER put it over an open flame. Sculpy can be a very good product dependiong on what tyope you use.

Teh white stuff which is regular Sculpy is easier to find but I will admit it is crap. I use the type called Super Sculpy which is more of a flesh tone and has a different consistency which is much better to use.

I also use acrylic paints through an airbrush for my base coats, and with a brush for detail work. If using a brush however you will have to add layer by layer. but for your best results taking your time with it is the way to go.

The paint I use is Folk Art and Apple Barrel acrylics from Walmart.

Provided my Imageshack account isn't being tempermental today ( ive been having problems with it all week) I will post some of my stuff tonight.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Awesome guys. Thanks alot for all of your input. I actually bought a small package of sculpy a while back, bu haven't used it. I may still try it but I'm going to try and aquire some of this kneadite stuff. I looked it up and everyone says its great but can be pricy. I guess I'll just have to try out a few and see what I like best...

Ringslinger your customs are amazing. I want them!!! I can't wait to see what you guys have done too. Where can I check it out?
Old 11-10-2007, 04:38 AM   #9
GLJIMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Ennis View Post
I am the customs moderator of another message board but it's not my policy to advertise on other boards wothout permission. I think it's just rude. But, with the admin's permission, I can post a couple of links to a few turorials that we have there that could help you out.

AS far as sculpy is concerned, putting it in boiling water for about 2 minutes will cure it. It's what I use. You should NEVER put it over an open flame. Sculpy can be a very good product dependiong on what tyope you use.

Teh white stuff which is regular Sculpy is easier to find but I will admit it is crap. I use the type called Super Sculpy which is more of a flesh tone and has a different consistency which is much better to use.

I also use acrylic paints through an airbrush for my base coats, and with a brush for detail work. If using a brush however you will have to add layer by layer. but for your best results taking your time with it is the way to go.

The paint I use is Folk Art and Apple Barrel acrylics from Walmart.

Provided my Imageshack account isn't being tempermental today ( ive been having problems with it all week) I will post some of my stuff tonight.
damn, I just saw this, Andrew is not into Figs and spends little time in this forum. but I see no reason you shouldnt post a link - all I would ask is that after you finish your custom you post pics here Thanks Darth
Old 11-10-2007, 04:40 AM   #10
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Ok so I feel like a complete ass. I've been trying to track down the best stuff to use for customizing. But I'm not having any luck. I've been to several different places craft stores and hardware supply stores. But I just don't think I'm looking in the right places or I'm not looking for the right stuff.

I have found some acrylic spray paint. But nothing that I can paint on with brushes that will bond to the plastic. I only seem to find fabric paint or ceramic and wood paint. I used Krylon black spray paint to start with as a base and it worked really well. But I can't use spray paint for the details.

So I guess I'm trying to ask where do you guys buy your paint and what brands do you use? I also can't find the kneadite green stuff. Only sculpy and kid clay stuff. My attempt is to make them look as best as possible and have that precise look that ringslinger accomplishes and still have the figures looking plasticy and not all rough.

Please help!!!

Edit: Ok. Weird. The post that went up while I was writing this one kinda answered some questions I have. But any further help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Jack-O-Lantern; 11-10-2007 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #11
Grundy
Green Lantern

my suggestion is use the sculpty. While not the most favored by customizers it will give you something to practice with until you get something better and it's cheap. Get good with it then use the good stuff. I use sculpty for my customs and don't plan on changing it works well for me. By the way the best way to cure sculpty on a fig is to boil it. Put it in boiling water for small amounts of time, that way you don't melt to fig.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:13 AM   #12
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Awesome, thanks for all your help everyone. Much appreciated. I started my customs this week. Now that I finally have some good paints to work with. Hopefully I will have my first three done before the weekend and I will post pics in here. I'll just put them up in my first post so it will be easier to get too.
Thanks again!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #13
genesistorm

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for all your help everyone. Much appreciated. I started my customs this week. Now that I finally have some good paints to work with. Hopefully I will have my first three done before the weekend and I will post pics in here. I'll just put them up in my first post so it will be easier to get too.
Thanks again!
Great, let us know when they're ready!
Old 12-02-2007, 02:41 AM   #14
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Added pictures to the first post. I don't know how to change the title of the thread though....Check 'em out, hope you like them!
Old 12-02-2007, 05:33 AM   #15
GLJIMT

Holy shit, those are great, amazing for first attempts truely..... how much for the Kyle BTW

Oh, and I changed the thread title
Old 12-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #16
MrBungleGL

You need to use super sculpy you get lots of detail, and yes you should boil it. boil the water than remove the pot frrom the eye and put the figure in it. leave the figure till the water cools.

Heres the thing about anything you use for sculpting. the more detail you can get the less it adheres to plastic. Sculpy gets shitty detail, but sticks well. Super sculpy gets great detail but doesn't stick as well. The best thing to do after you boil it is to run a thin layer of superglue anywhere the clay and plastic meet.

Also I made a mold of Kyles head for my Kyllax figure. I can send you one if you need it for yours. Keeps you from getting another figure!
Old 12-02-2007, 02:17 PM   #17
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLJIMT View Post
Holy shit, those are great, amazing for first attempts truely..... how much for the Kyle BTW

Oh, and I changed the thread title
Awesome. Thanks! I might be putting some of these up for auction. I haven't decided yet. I'll keep you posted though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungleGL View Post
You need to use super sculpy you get lots of detail, and yes you should boil it. boil the water than remove the pot frrom the eye and put the figure in it. leave the figure till the water cools.

Heres the thing about anything you use for sculpting. the more detail you can get the less it adheres to plastic. Sculpy gets shitty detail, but sticks well. Super sculpy gets great detail but doesn't stick as well. The best thing to do after you boil it is to run a thin layer of superglue anywhere the clay and plastic meet.

Also I made a mold of Kyles head for my Kyllax figure. I can send you one if you need it for yours. Keeps you from getting another figure!
Thanks for the tips! I used sculpy but wasn't to thrilled with the detail, so I'll be trying out the super sculpy. Someone mentioned kneadite, but I can't find it anywhere.

Dude, that would be great if you could send me a Kyllax head!! That will save me time and money on another figure. Can you post a pic?
Old 12-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #18
ringslinger74

WOW!! great stuff. Looks like you have alot of fun working on these. The Kyle is really great. I started one as well...just haven't had any time to work on him.

-E
Old 12-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #19
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

holy crap I want to do that to parallax but alas my skills at painting are not good.
what did you use for paint?
I'll buy that parallax LOL.
Superlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #20
MrBungleGL

Quote:
Dude, that would be great if you could send me a Kyllax head!! That will save me time and money on another figure. Can you post a pic?
It's the same head from your custom. You just gotta add a crab mask and paint it. You also need to get rid of the neck on the parallax figure. PM me you addy I'll send it tomorrow.

Super Sculpy is easy to find. It's at wal-mart,target,michaels and hobby lobby. You can also look for paint called paint for plastics. Thats what I use and it works great. It has a primer that goes on like alcohol...it's a big help.

A couple of random tips.
1. wash the figure with soapy water before doing anything...it removes any kind of slick or waxy coating.
2.After you paint it hit the figure with a hairdryer to help it adhere better...learned that tip here!!
3.On places like knees and shoulders where moving the limb can rub off the paint. Do the superglue trick. It will stop it from scratching. just be careful not to glue the limb stuck. And make sure you glue before you clear coat in case you paint matte, you don't want to see shiny glue.
4. paint for plastics has a matte and gloss sealer. nice final step that helps keep the paint from scratching.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #21
Guka2814
Green Lantern Initiate

i use aves fixit sculpt and testor acrylic paint. it think thos are really good. here are the sites you can order from.

http://sculptingstudio.com/

http://testors.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=82

oh and were do you get your stickers for the gl's and sin corps members please let me know were i can dl them from i cant find ones that come out that good
Old 12-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #22
TalonSoulbender

Those customs are Fantastic!! They're your firsts??? Incredible work I ecspecially like Arkillo, might have to nab that recipe! Keep it up buddy!!

Talon

LOD
Old 12-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #23
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

Quote:
Last but definitely not least, my personal fav and personal figure:
The Orange LanternFor lack of a better name.
How about Greed lantern? ok bad idea but I like the concept looks great too
Superlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #24
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringslinger74 View Post
WOW!! great stuff. Looks like you have alot of fun working on these. The Kyle is really great. I started one as well...just haven't had any time to work on him.

-E
Thanks! I can't wait to see your Kyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlantern View Post
holy crap I want to do that to parallax but alas my skills at painting are not good.
what did you use for paint?
I'll buy that parallax LOL.
It's not finished yet. Still need to touch up the paint and add the head. I'll post some more pics when I'm done. Like I said, I haven't decided if I want to sell them yet because they took a while to make and they look cool with my collection. But if I do, I'll let you all know and I'll take some offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungleGL View Post
It's the same head from your custom. You just gotta add a crab mask and paint it. You also need to get rid of the neck on the parallax figure. PM me you addy I'll send it tomorrow.

3.On places like knees and shoulders where moving the limb can rub off the paint. Do the superglue trick. It will stop it from scratching. just be careful not to glue the limb stuck. And make sure you glue before you clear coat in case you paint matte, you don't want to see shiny glue.
I actually did follow most of those tips when making them. But I'll try that third one. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlantern View Post
How about Greed lantern? ok bad idea but I like the concept looks great too
Hahaha! I like it. But too corny. Good one!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #25
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

Amazing work Jack, just awesome. I love them all, especially the Orange Lantern and Arkillo. Keep up the good work man.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote