The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #51
-//V\\-
Kilowog's Recruit
 
-//V\\-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 54
Default

I don't make comics, so me saying he should be in Titans or in a Challengers is just that [me saying what I'd wanna see]. With a pair of stretchy characters in the same book who are both class clowns, it'd be like Batman Blue starring in a title about Batman Gray. Neither one is really that different from the other.

I think Metamorpho's biggest problem right now is DC trying to be PC with this new Element Woman. With DC's new Rebirth and getting their universe back to where it needs to be, they don't need to make a bunch of unused heroes villains. They just need to continue to get back to the core of the characters and reintegrate them back into the universe. Metamorpho should be on Batman's new JLoA, not turned into a villain because neither Plas or Ralph have decent rogues of their own.

If you want more than one stretchy hero on a team watch whatever happens with Netflix's 'Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters'. I wouldn't set my expectations too high though.

~//V\\~
__________________
This account's only temporary till Dave figures out what happened to my old account.
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #52
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -//V\\- View Post
I don't make comics, so me saying he should be in Titans or in a Challengers is just that [me saying what I'd wanna see]. With a pair of stretchy characters in the same book who are both class clowns, it'd be like Batman Blue starring in a title about Batman Gray. Neither one is really that different from the other.

I think Metamorpho's biggest problem right now is DC trying to be PC with this new Element Woman. With DC's new Rebirth and getting their universe back to where it needs to be, they don't need to make a bunch of unused heroes villains. They just need to continue to get back to the core of the characters and reintegrate them back into the universe. Metamorpho should be on Batman's new JLoA, not turned into a villain because neither Plas or Ralph have decent rogues of their own.

If you want more than one stretchy hero on a team watch whatever happens with Netflix's 'Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters'. I wouldn't set my expectations too high though.

~//V\\~
So what would you do? Put Ralph in one book and Patrick in another? Why would that work? It's better and easier to put them in the same one. You'd like to see a title starring Plas, but not this one? Then your complaint isn't stretching itself but the idea of Plas having to share a title, right? But where's the evidence that Plas can carry a title alone, even a recurring mini?

I didn't say they'd both be humorous characters. Of course I wouldn't star two humorous characters in a comic. Ralph would be the more serious one here. He's a married man. And I've stated that this is going to have the same atmosphere as The Night Stalker.

I've thrown out what, twenty ideas for minis here, and you're balking at buying one of them? I'm amazed that there's only one. That means that my batting average is very high with this. The fact that you would reject one of these titles unseen doesn't mean it wouldn't sell, but again, even if it doesn't, so what? Then you just don't publish it again.

I'd turn several failed heroes into villains, to try to get some use out of them. DC's biggest problem by far is its worn-out villains. The writers don't want to create new ones because DC would then own those characters, so why should the company not give "heel turns" to rejected heroes that will never get used otherwise? That's a much better idea than to keep recycling the same handful of stale assed villains and to make no money off the company's failed and unused properties. It's not as if actual human beings would be turned into lawbreakers, or as if one heel turn in one story would kill off a title.

Anyway, DC could later publish an event called Metamorpho Reborn, in which he'd be restored to his former glory. I hear Geoff is already on it.
__________________
Onward!

Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-26-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #53
-//V\\-
Kilowog's Recruit
 
-//V\\-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
I've thrown out what, twenty ideas for minis here, and you're balking at buying one of them? I'm amazed that there's only one. That means that my batting average is very high with this. The fact that you would reject one of these titles unseen doesn't mean it wouldn't sell, but again, even if it doesn't, so what? Then you just don't publish it again.

I'd turn several failed heroes into villains, to try to get some use out of them. DC's biggest problem by far is its worn-out villains. The writers don't want to create new ones because DC would then own those characters, so why should the company not give "heel turns" to rejected heroes that will never get used otherwise? That's a much better idea than to keep recycling the same handful of stale assed villains and to make no money off the company's failed and unused properties. It's not as if actual human beings would be turned into lawbreakers, or as if one heel turn in one story would kill off a title.

Anyway, DC could later publish an event called Metamorpho Reborn, in which he'd be restored to his former glory. I hear Geoff is already on it.

You want me to label all the flaws in the last handful of ideas in this thread like we were doing some 15-18 years ago on the DC MB's? Your batting average isn't any better, I just get tired of telling you how dumb and senseless a lot of your stuff sounds. I just used Stretchers as an example because it had the most obvious flaws. For me, Metamorpho would be about 20x more useful in a JL than either of the stretchy guys. So if either of them were gonna get used anywhere I'd put him top of that short list.

Ok, lemme find those pitches... LOL

"Mystery Command, with the street-level JSA members plus Batman being given assignments by the Phantom Stranger. Their meeting place could be in the Bat Cave."

Batman recently sponsored the team that formed in Detective Comics, THEY didn't even get to use the Bat Cave as an HQ and were made up of some of his closest allies. I'm all for Batman and Wildcat teaming up, or the real Alan Scott showing up once in awhile in a Batman title, but tying every other pitch into Batman/Gotham isn't the way to go. They can only stretch Batman so far. With the Justice Society, DC has to get them about back to where they were and forget this crap we got in New52's Earth2. Tying half their roster to Batman and Gotham and then making the Phantom Stranger call shots is as convoluted as it sounds.

The last Brave and the Bold series was a Batman team-up book and featured GA in the first story, so I can't bash on the idea of Batman in another team up title. Just making it about the two of them though is a harder sell.

Rather than have Batman & Superman, Superman & Wonder Woman, and Trinity all going on top of Batman in JL and JLoA as well as his own corner in Gotham.... I'd only have Batman in one JL, his corner of the DCU [Gotham and appearances when needed in Batman related titles], and a Batman team-up book. On another note, Wonder Woman would also get a team up title as well. Brave & the Bold for Batman, Sensation Comics for WW.

As a fan it's easy for you to say 'if it doesn't sell, so what? Don't publish it again...' If it doesn't sell they lose money. Comics have to be easy enough to be understood by new fans and old alike, but a convoluted mess is a convoluted mess either way you try and write it unless your name is Morrison or Johns. Tying stuff to Gotham doesn't make it an easier sell, just makes it even more convoluted. DC isn't gonna let anybody outshine Batman in his own city, much less his own damn cave.

~//V\\~
__________________
This account's only temporary till Dave figures out what happened to my old account.
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #54
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -//V\\- View Post
You want me to label all the flaws in the last handful of ideas in this thread like we were doing some 15-18 years ago on the DC MB's? Your batting average isn't any better, I just get tired of telling you how dumb and senseless a lot of your stuff sounds. I just used Stretchers as an example because it had the most obvious flaws. For me, Metamorpho would be about 20x more useful in a JL than either of the stretchy guys. So if either of them were gonna get used anywhere I'd put him top of that short list.

Ok, lemme find those pitches... LOL

"Mystery Command, with the street-level JSA members plus Batman being given assignments by the Phantom Stranger. Their meeting place could be in the Bat Cave."

Batman recently sponsored the team that formed in Detective Comics, THEY didn't even get to use the Bat Cave as an HQ and were made up of some of his closest allies. I'm all for Batman and Wildcat teaming up, or the real Alan Scott showing up once in awhile in a Batman title, but tying every other pitch into Batman/Gotham isn't the way to go. They can only stretch Batman so far. With the Justice Society, DC has to get them about back to where they were and forget this crap we got in New52's Earth2. Tying half their roster to Batman and Gotham and then making the Phantom Stranger call shots is as convoluted as it sounds.

The last Brave and the Bold series was a Batman team-up book and featured GA in the first story, so I can't bash on the idea of Batman in another team up title. Just making it about the two of them though is a harder sell.

Rather than have Batman & Superman, Superman & Wonder Woman, and Trinity all going on top of Batman in JL and JLoA as well as his own corner in Gotham.... I'd only have Batman in one JL, his corner of the DCU [Gotham and appearances when needed in Batman related titles], and a Batman team-up book. On another note, Wonder Woman would also get a team up title as well. Brave & the Bold for Batman, Sensation Comics for WW.

As a fan it's easy for you to say 'if it doesn't sell, so what? Don't publish it again...' If it doesn't sell they lose money. Comics have to be easy enough to be understood by new fans and old alike, but a convoluted mess is a convoluted mess either way you try and write it unless your name is Morrison or Johns. Tying stuff to Gotham doesn't make it an easier sell, just makes it even more convoluted. DC isn't gonna let anybody outshine Batman in his own city, much less his own damn cave.

~//V\\~
I made an effort to reach out and patch things up with you, and make friends, but you just weren't having it. You're on ignore, which is where I should have put you long ago.

Good luck in your long, long crusade to make Kyle the most specialist Lantern of them all.
__________________
Onward!

Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-26-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #55
-//V\\-
Kilowog's Recruit
 
-//V\\-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 54
Default

LMAO! Now you're just taking it too personal. Not being able to take critisizm is one of your biggest flaws dude.

~//V\\~
__________________
This account's only temporary till Dave figures out what happened to my old account.
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:28 AM   #56
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,161
Default

All right. So I was hoping to come up with ideas for 24 recurring minis that could be sold out of just four bins in the comics shops. Each would be published as a four-issue story once a year, to be numbered 1-4, 1-4, 1-4, etc. And each would be tried out for at least two stories, or eight issues, to make enough to be collected in a TPB. A title that didn't sell well for two stories would be discontinued, at least for a while.

And preferably they and DC's other floppies would be printed on newsprint and sold for $1.99

So let's see what we've got here.

A teamup of Batman and Green Arrow.

The Justice Society in the Forties and Fifties.

An Atoms team title.

The Spectre.

Dr. Fate.

The Huntress.

Catwoman. Or maybe a teamup title with Catwoman and the Huntress.

Deadman.

A team title with Batman and the street-level heroes of the JSA, with the Phantom Stranger thrown in.

A team title with Vixen, Booster Gold, Firestorm, Red Tornado and Lobo.

Captain Atom.

A Krypton title.

A teamup with the Elongated Man and Plastic Man.

A team title with Supergirl, the Martian Manhunter, Aquaman and Warrior.

Weird War.

A sci-fi anthology.

Legion.

Etrigan the Demon.

Blackhawk.

Sgt. Rock.

That's 20 titles so far. Am I leaving anybody out who probably can't carry an ongoing?

(I've proposed a Flash team ongoing and a Charlton team ongoing that could cover a lot of other characters.)
__________________
Onward!

Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-04-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:45 AM   #57
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,161
Default

With that arrangement. you could have a #1 hitting the stands twice a month. And you could tap into a large talent pool that normally goes to waste, as well as turning many currently unproductive properties into sellers.

You'd give a lot of fans who you currently aren't reaching a reason to get excited about DC Comics.

I'm sure the total sales out of just those four bins would be very healthy and lucrative.
__________________
Onward!
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:55 AM   #58
Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I
First of His Name, King of the Andals and Jägerbombs
 
Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dragonstone
Posts: 13,963
Default

Metal Men
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #59
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
Metal Men
Good one.

There's 21.

And I should clarify that each mini would be posted on a twice-monthly schedule, so that you'd get a complete story within two months. By giving the pencillers plenty of lead time, one penciller could draw all four issues of a mini.

And for even more artistic consistency's sake, as few as two inkers and one cover artist could handle all the minis!

Does anybody know how we can propose this idea through the proper channels to DC?
__________________
Onward!

Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-04-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #60
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,161
Default

Hell, just one editor could handle the whole thing, although of course you could use more.
__________________
Onward!
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #61
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,161
Default

Dr. Fate might be a hard sell because he just crashed and burned in an ongoing. Maybe he should star in a teamup title with another character.
__________________
Onward!
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.