The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Corps/Emerald Warriors/John Stewart
FLASHCHAT

Green Lantern Corps
View Poll Results: Rate GLC #21
* 0 0%
** 3 11.11%
*** 2 7.41%
**** 15 55.56%
***** 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #26
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Most impressive issue, indeed. Review tomorrow...
Old 06-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #27
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post

You would think the ring could either sense when a person can't leave or the recruit really could override it. I mean jeez, what if it was an infant? The GLC would've been responsible for the kid's death. All it would have to do is keep calling her and eventually offer an ultimatum.
I would hope not. The ring doesn't have a personality. Its not (or at least it shouldn't be) about the situation they are going through. The rings search for someone with great willpower and the ability to overcome fear. That's it. And I like it like that. If the ring makes a mother abandon her child, then that's the fallback. Maybe if Salaak didn't quit his job, he could have notified someone to help the kid. lol
Old 06-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #28
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

So far we have 13 votes for nothing less than 4 stars. when was the LAST time that many of us were happy with an issue of ANY of the Lantern titles?!? Damn.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #29
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Somewhere in the 1990s, I'd wager.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #30
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

It's certainly something to see the most jaded of us on this board unanimously impressed by a single issue of a GL comic. There's always so much worthy of hating on.

What am I going to DO with myself now if I can't complain?!? I'm going to have to write a strongly worded letter to DC about that! How DARE they take away my ability to bitch and moan! (kicks can with pouty face)
Old 06-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #31
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
So far we have 13 votes for nothing less than 4 stars. when was the LAST time that many of us were happy with an issue of ANY of the Lantern titles?!? Damn.
Cool. Hadn't noticed that. I could see some five-stars if he keeps this up. I debated giving one, but to me a 5-star would be along the lines of one of the best and most memorable GL comics ever and I wasn't sure it was there yet. But, if the following issues keep up this level of quality and give me a jaw-dropping/oh-crap moment, I could see a five star scenario.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #32
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

To me, a five star book is for something like Watchmen, Sandman, or Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. The very best a comic can be. If I make every issue of GL a 5 star rating as some members here love to do, what's that say about the bar those other books have set? Also, to me, 3 stars means you've made a solid book. Good but not amazing. You've done your job and there is no shame in a 3 star rating for a comic.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #33
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
What am I going to DO with myself now if I can't complain?!? I'm going to have to write a strongly worded letter to DC about that! How DARE they take away my ability to bitch and moan! (kicks can with pouty face)
No kidding. I'd have to dump my blog.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #34
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

We've grown accustomed to whining about the GL books SD80MAC. WTF are we going to do if they start being good?!?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #35
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

You'll always have Larfleeze and Red Lanterns
Old 06-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #36
DocLantern
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern A-train View Post
Isn't there an issue or two left of Threshold as well.....
DocLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #37
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern A-train View Post
It certainly SEEMS like forever! Larfleeze hasn't even debuted yet and I'm sick of it!
Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #38
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocLantern View Post
Isn't there an issue or two left of Threshold as well.....
I still have #6 on my nightstand. I know I have to read it, or at least skim through it, but it's SUCH a chore. 2 more issues might kill me.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #39
DocLantern
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
I still have #6 on my nightstand. I know I have to read it, or at least skim through it, but it's SUCH a chore. 2 more issues might kill me.
If you survive you'll just be that much stronger....do it.......
DocLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #40
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

4 stars for me. This creative team is now getting at least an arc to show me what they got.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #41
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Damn you Jack-O-Lantern!
Old 06-15-2013, 02:00 AM   #42
A_Q Lantern
Corpse Trainee

The story has been fast pace and the writer didn't forget about Johns roots as a builder! John showing has Stoic side! Wish there was a OMG moment! Bring in Dulrans! 4*
Old 06-15-2013, 02:33 AM   #43
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

Five out of five.

Star-Lantern, welcome to the fray, but next time tell us what you REALLY think.

Like, "S#!+ that was a good issue!" Van, you did it! You're doing it! Stewart is ALIVE!

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #44
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Damn you Jack-O-Lantern!
I thought the same thing as soon as I opened the thread tonight. Fucker!
Old 06-15-2013, 04:32 AM   #45
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

So I wrote a review of the issue for this very site.... please be read..

http://thegreenlanterncorps.com/web/...tern-corps-21/
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #46
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen City View Post
Star-Lantern, welcome to the fray, but next time tell us what you REALLY think.

Like, "S#!+ that was a good issue!" Van, you did it! You're doing it! Stewart is ALIVE!
Thanks!

I've been jazzed about this issue ever since the art was first released. When I heard John was going to be the star of Green Lantern Corps, I was happy, but I wasn't totally jgldgjskdls excited!!! When I saw the art and read the interviews from Van Jensen, I could tell that a real honest effort was being made by very competent people who seemed highly interested in the project, and who had a fresh perspective. From the art samples and interviews, it seemed that what they were doing was exactly the way I would like to see it done. So, not only were they doing something hyper awesome, they were using one of my favorite characters as the star! That's when I became extremely invested.

I have to say that they did even better than I expected, because I was impressed on so many levels, big and small. As for the more minute things, I love that they're coloring John's eyes green. I love the neat coloring effects used for the emerald energy and the way the glow reflects off the characters and the little sparkles that are on the characters when the aura is around them. I've seen a few complain that Fatality looks white (at least sometimes) or something, but I think she's perfectly fine. This version is my favorite version of the character from a visual standpoint. So yeah, I notice all those nice little touches and appreciate them greatly.

I love how Van Jensen writes John as competent and professional, but not infallible. I love how he's written respectably and not written as a side character who can be shat on for DRAMA!!!
I'm also happy that Salaak has an interesting arc going on. I'll hand it to Tomasi. He made me feel really sorry for Salaak when the revelation that the Guardians were evil was revealed to him. It really did seem like his whole world was falling apart. Jensen really capitalizes on this. I also hear Arisia will be around later on!

So yeah, I couldn't ask for a whole lot more. This comic is like a dream come true. After all the crap John Stewart has gone through, it's hard to believe it even exists. It is incredibly well written and a great joy just to look at. Sometimes I sit and just look at the art for a while, because damn! It is... it's not just "cool" or "great". It's on a more profound level to me. It's very beautiful.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 06-15-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #47
Mechinoid
Hal's Understudy

I Really Love that art. It's so fantastic, sleek and vibrant and just perfect for the comic.

I don't know how I feel about the John and Yrra relationship still though. It still feels So forced that I can't take it seriously. She hasn't seen John in awhile, and before we know it she acts like they've been lovers for years, and she's lost all of her warrior spirit too it seems, 'lets forget fighting and have the most perfect normal life together' just seems odd coming from her. It's probably just going to take time for me to get used to it I guess.

Aside from that part? Everything was actually great, not just good but actually great. And the new recruits scene was actually really good too, expecially the mom one, really loved that one, made me sad at her predicament.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #48
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Now this is what I've been wanting from a Green Lantern comic book. Great cosmic adventure to be had, while maintaining and balancing important character moments. Introduced new lanterns in interesting ways, giving them just a slither of backstory, but enough to give us an idea what they'll be about.

The alien that seemed to be mind-reading on an overcrowded planet was probably the most interesting new lantern introduction in my opinion. Reminded me of that episode of Star Trek, where they venture to the planet where everyone is shoulder to shoulder and bumping into each other. Only this alien seems to have mind-reading powers he can't control.

Very stoked to see what happens next, and I can't remember the last time I was able to say that about a Green Lantern comic.

4 out of 5

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #49
agent_orange_ganondorf198
Kilowog's Recruit

John and Yrra are STILL together?!? uke:

Seriously, John needs to FATALITY Fatality (pardon the Mortal Kombat pun). But as of now, I am taking a break from Green Lantern comics. I enjoyed the end of the Wrath of the First Lantern arc.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #50
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

^ Not to try to sway you or anything, but I didn't think I would enjoy the John/Yrra relationship, because I never did before this point. It never really offended me, but I just couldn't get into it, which is similar to how I feel about John's blue Darkstar ex-girlfriend, Merayn Dethalis. Katma, Rose Hardin, and Hawkgirl I really like, however.

Van Jensen is the only writer who has gotten me to care about this relationship. I think John and Yrra's interactions in GLC 21 were rather fun and I'm interested in seeing what he does with the duo.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 06-19-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote