The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV
View Poll Results: Which Star Wars Movie is Your Favorite?
Episode I: The Phantom Menace 1 1.14%
Episode II: Attack Of The Clones 1 1.14%
Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith 11 12.50%
Star Wars (aka Episode IV: A New Hope) 11 12.50%
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back 34 38.64%
Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi 30 34.09%
Episode VII: The Force Awakens 0 0%
Episode VIII: The Last Jedi 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #5076
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

saw it last nite @7:15 w/my big bro; I have NO PLANS to ever see it again (not even on cable or to bootleg.)

the conclusion to Luke meeting Rey was excellent in my book, Poe Dameron was _THE MAN_, I could *somewat* accept Lukes reasons for isolating himself like as he did, and I appreciated the fact that SW stopped feeling like such a sausage-fest (even on the Empire side) compared to previous films (didnt think about it as a kid, but when ya look back as an adult, ya cant unsee it).......but wat annoys me is that
ONCE AGAIN a film in the Last Trilogy follows the same story beats from a film in the First Trilogy by taking the got-get-off-Hoth -escape, tweaking so that this time running doesnt gain the Rebellion anything due to "McGuffin tech", and making it so that 90% of the Em/Reb fight is an overly, OVERLY long chase sequence. additionally, becuz this action is a "flight, not fight" -response any talks of going offensive in any way get shut down (and even taking into account the fact that their resources were low, it still made the overall behavior of the Rebel Commmanders so passive-agressive AND annoying that I was close to raging in my seat.) and wat was all of that for? it was so that they could get to an unused mining base that ends up turning into the "Assault the Hoth base" -sequence (complete with old & new school AT-ATs), which just books ends the 1st 20mins of ESB in this film.

if its not clear, let me say it more succinctly: Rian Johnson took the whole of the Hoth-sequence from ESB, and made it the bulk of this film.

sadly, while I was pleased to see Snoke (as a Force user he was no joke), and amused that we had not 1 but *2* asian females on screen (1 of whom had a significant role to play in the film), I think the loss of a rogue-type character (which I think Poe fits into somewat, but becuz he's actually IN the military means he's more curtailed than Han ever was) kinda dulls things more than a lil a bit, and neither the Rey/Luke, Rey/Kylo OR the Finn/Rose -stuff were engaging enuff to warrant a re-watch.

the Star Wars stories I liked watching had great deeds done by ppl willing to risk all when the chips are down, but this film makes a point of saying thats a bad thing......which kills it for me.
:/

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:55 PM   #5077
IonFan
Forum Member

ya know i wonder with this new PC/#MeToo movement we've got going on now a days how long it'll be til we read or hear something or another about Luke sexually assaulting that 4 B( . Y . Y . Y . )Bed creature?

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:47 PM   #5078
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I saw it a second time today. I enjoyed it a lot more the second time. It felt like things that were out of place or odd the first time fell into place now for me. A bit too many jokes and I'm not sold on SW not taking itself as seriously as it used to. If I want joke after joke, I can watch Marvel movies laugh at themselves all day long. Hell, they even do a Spaceballs joke in the film.

I have a few issues with some of the things that happened in the movie and the sequence on Canto Bright felt like it was pulled from the prequels, but for the most part the movie worked really well for me.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #5079
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I've seen it 3 times now. I'm pretty clear about what worked and what didn't work for me with The Last Jedi. I'd love to talk spoilers, but will wait until more of you guys have seen it.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:14 AM   #5080
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I've seen it 3 times now. I'm pretty clear about what worked and what didn't work for me with The Last Jedi. I'd love to talk spoilers, but will wait until more of you guys have seen it.
There’s one part I found to be ridiculous and I can’t believe they had it in.

Leia going all Mary Poppins in space.

Still liked the movie though

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:40 AM   #5081
Noct
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Episode VII: The Mary Sue Awakens
Episode VIII: The Last Mary Poppins
Episode IX: The Return of The Mary
Noct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:47 AM   #5082
IonFan
Forum Member

ok i'm just gonna come out a say it, i don't care/beleive what "they" say about Rey’s parents, after all the one saying it CAN'T be trusted

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
Old 12-18-2017, 05:08 PM   #5083
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster Beetle View Post
There’s one part I found to be ridiculous and I can’t believe they had it in.

Leia going all Mary Poppins in space.

Still liked the movie though
That was horribly executed. I get what they were going for, but it should have been choreographed and shot very differently. Took me right out of the movie.

Canto Brite was terrible too. And that was an entire sequence of the movie. Badly done. Too much like Earth, and I don't like things in Star Wars to remind me of Earth.

I don't like the overuse of comedy in the movies. I'm already getting worn out seeing it in the Marvel movies, I don't feel like the Star Wars universe is the place for non stop laughter.

I'm at the point where I feel like half of the movie was terrible, and half of it was fantastic. A truly mixed bag for me. I can't all out praise it or all out bash it.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:55 PM   #5084
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

I didn't think the comedy was overused though. It only made up like 10% of the film anyway, and I thought there were some legit laugh out moments. Chewy scaring the porg was gold.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #5085
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I'm in a love/hate relationship with The Last Jedi.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #5086
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

When I walked out of the theater after seeing "The Last Jedi" I had mixed feelings as the film has it's peaks and valleys. The peaks were really awesome and the valleys were really low points of the film, which were the Canto Bright and Mary Poppins scenes. However, those weren't deal breakers. I've only seen the movie once (and I plan to see a few more times before it leaves theaters), the Canto Bright sets up the last shot of the film. Although, I wish it was edited down quite a bit more.

Now, I don't think it's accurate to say the Canto Bright scene was something from the Prequels, but those movies really didn't have a pulse. Canto Bright was more like the "Special Edition" additions to the Original Trilogy, specifically the musical number added to the Jabba Palace scene in "Return of the Jedi."

Overall, the I thought the film moved the Star Wars universe forward, as it opened more doors and more possibilities. I loved the core characters of the film, Rey, Kylo and Luke. Every time they were on screen it was captivating.

I do see how some fans were angered that "The Last Jedi" didn't pay off on certain things "The Force Awakens" set up. I was disappointed in those ways as well, but I'm giving this new trilogy the benefit of the doubt until I see the final chapter. Additionally, I could see how some fans are upset that the film hits the same beats as the "Empire Strikes Back," but there was some magic in that scene and it provide some much need character growth for Poe Dameron, has he learned that he can't always be the hero that blows things up, but rather the leader that the Resistance needs him to be. Additionally, that last battle was the spark of hope in the return of Luke Skywalker to battle as his act and stand against the First Order spread across the galaxy and the a small boy sweeping out a stable on Canto Bright. I think the animated series, "Rebels" helped prepare me for the expansion of the Force and the Star Wars universe which was explored in "The Last Jedi."
Old 12-20-2017, 01:43 AM   #5087
Noct

My ranking of Star Wars films from best to worst:

1 Rogue One
This movie has it all, from spies to war, space battles and Darth Vader best moment, what else can you ask for? It also gave anwers to many plot holes while respecting the lore like the Death Star design flaw, the plans and why the Stormtroopers miss almost everytime —it was the force all along.

2 Empire Strikes Back
The classic I am you father moment -second best Darth Vader scene- Hoth, Yoda, Lando. Impressive.

3 Revenge of the Sith
Order 66. Obi Wan had the higher ground.

4 A New Hope
Introduction to the Star Wars universe. Most iconic space battle.

5 Return of The Jedi
74-Z speeder bikes. Boba Fett 15 seconds of fame. Vader redeems at the end.

6 A Phantom Menace
Darth Maul. Qui Gon. Podracing kinda. But then Jar Jar and child Anakin ruined most of it.

7 The Clone Wars
Jango Fett vs Obi Wan on Kamino. Count Dooku. Clones.

8 The Last Jedi
Luke. Lightspeed kamikaze. Everything else sucks ass.

9 The Force Awakens
I have nothing positive to say about this. Mary Sue.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:11 AM   #5088
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct View Post
... Rogue One . . . It also gave answers to many plot holes while respecting the lore like the Death Star design flaw...
What was the explanation of the flaw? I've seen it and I vaguely recall something like that, but I forget the details.

Last edited by Space Cop; 12-20-2017 at 03:14 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #5089
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I'm in a love/hate relationship with The Last Jedi.
and to think it only took ya 3 tickets worth of $$$ to figure that out.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
What was the explanation of the flaw? I've seen it and I vaguely recall something like that, but I forget the details.
it was placed there on purpose, since the designer wasn't a believer in "the Imperial way"......

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Last edited by Tazer; 12-20-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #5090
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
it was placed there on purpose, since the designer wasn't a believer in "the Imperial way"......
Oh yeah. The young lady's father. Now, it's coming back.

Last edited by Space Cop; 12-20-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #5091
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah, Galen Erso and his daughter, Jyn aka Stardust.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #5092
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Old 12-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #5093
Space Cop
The Dandy

Well, my solution was easier; just don't do them at all.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #5094
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah, that's one way to go.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #5095
Noct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Oh yeah. The young lady's father. Now, it's coming back.
Yeah it was intentional, Galen Erso designed with the flaw and told the rebels about it.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:37 PM   #5096
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I liked that explanation from Rogue One about the weakness in the first Death Star. It didn't come off as forced or lame, and they managed to make an exciting plot revolving around it. More than that, I liked that it showed they can tell different kinds of stories in the GFFA than the Skywalker saga. We got a bit of a Dirty Dozen thing going on there, and it worked for me.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:39 PM   #5097
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

and to think it only took ya 3 tickets worth of $$$ to figure that out.....
Har har har...
Old 12-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #5098
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

I liked TLJ enough to see it twice and I’m gonna be in the theatre day 0 for Rian Johnson’s trilogy, but I still wish this and TFA didn’t exist.

Disney ruined the galaxy’s happy ending and I will always hate them for that.

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #5099
Tazer

Yo.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/sta...rs-1201910095/

Quote:
Alt-Right Group Takes Credit for ‘The Last Jedi’ Backlash, Bashes ‘Star Wars’ For Including More Women

A group called Down With Disney’s Treatment of Franchises and its Fanboys is claiming responsibility for the film's low Rotten Tomatoes audience score.

Tazer

Quote:
Old 12-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #5100
IonFan
Forum Member

ok i've got a question about TLJ *SPOILER-ALERT* ok when what's her name rammed the ship into the 1st Orders BIGGER ship it caused alot of damage, and rightly so, so why didn't the samething happene in Rogue one? *END-SPOILER-ALERT*

IonFan says

Quote: