The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation
View Poll Results: Which was worse?
Green Lantern 13 50.00%
Captin America: The First Avenger 8 30.77%
Aw dude, they're as bad or as good as each other. 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2012, 03:46 AM   #51
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah GL was a failure through and through.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #52
robojac
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch'psAcorn View Post
GL had a theme though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&h...DRo&nomobile=1

1:15, 4:00, 5:00 and 8:15 in that video alone plays it. Superman and Batman themes are popular because those movies were great successes, nobody remberers good music to Ok movies. I like how track 07 has GLs theme and foreshadows track 10

If I recall, his theme in those moments are during when it says Green Lantern in the credits, when he recites the Oath and when we first see the chest symbol on his suit, and when Carol helps him overcome his fear. All pivotal transformation from Hal to GL scenes.
Superman and Batman are probably the most iconic and popular superheroes, so that could be another reason why people remember their themes. I think Supes and Bats had good themes because John Williams and Danny Elfman believed in the material and took it seriously. They knew these characters were bigger than them and they gave it their all. Maybe I was expecting too much from the GL score. I wanted it to have a theme as big as Supes and Bats because I thought GL deserved it.

The Punisher(1989 & 2004), Hulk(2003), X-Men:The Last Stand (2006), Supergirl(1984), The Rocketeer (1991), The Phantom(1996), The Shadow(1994), and Judge Dredd(1995) to name a few, are unsuccessful and unpopular comic book movies that have memorable themes. Those scores can easily make my top ten list of best superhero movie scores right under S:TM and Batman(1989). I also think Newton Howard's GL theme kind of sounds like Jerry Goldsmith's King Arthur theme in First Knight(1995). Silvetri's Cap theme (to stay on topic) was more memorable in my opinion.

I respect your opinion and I'm glad you liked the GL score. The score had it's moments but I think the GL DC animated films and series do a better job. To me the GL score isn't good or bad, it's just okay.

I wonder if I should create a thread dicussing the GL film score because I feel like I've been going on too long about the music. it seems like it deserves it's own thread.
robojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #53
lanternjv37
Green Lantern Initiate

damn only 219 mil world wide?! i dont know where i read it but i thought it hit the 300 mil breaking even line.

...shit i dont think we'll get a a sequel and real costume is much needed, ive seen better domino masks on ebay than the one they put on ryan reynolds!!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #54
Lantern54
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanternjv37 View Post
damn only 219 mil world wide?! i dont know where i read it but i thought it hit the 300 mil breaking even line.

...shit i dont think we'll get a a sequel and real costume is much needed, ive seen better domino masks on ebay than the one they put on ryan reynolds!!
You do realize that the studio doesn't get 100% of the box-office revenue don't you? So even if it had made $300M it still would have been a financial disaster.

Green since 1974!
Lantern54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #55
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern54 View Post
You do realize that the studio doesn't get 100% of the box-office revenue don't you? So even if it had made $300M it still would have been a financial disaster.
I was under the impression that they got enough of the box-office take that, if it significantly exceeded the production costs, other revenue streams (licensing, DVD sales, etc.) would be sufficient to make the term "financial disaster" rather hyperbolic. "Disappointment" would seem more appropriate. If the box office HAD totalled $300, the studio (from what I can tell) would have seen about half that, and I think the other revenue would very likely have filled the gap.

However, since the reported costs were $200 million, and the total box office was only $219 million, I'd wager they probably DID lose money. That's a severe disappointment at least, I'd wager, but "financial disaster" might be reserved for situations where they actually LOSE a bit more than in this case. I dunno.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #56
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
...I'd wager, but "financial disaster" might be reserved for situations where they actually LOSE a bit more than in this case. I dunno.
Yeah, I'd agree. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find some inflammatory review using those words, but to me "financial disaster" is more along the lines of "sorry, WB has to close its door forever."
Old 08-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #57
Lantern54
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
I was under the impression that they got enough of the box-office take that, if it significantly exceeded the production costs, other revenue streams (licensing, DVD sales, etc.) would be sufficient to make the term "financial disaster" rather hyperbolic. "Disappointment" would seem more appropriate. If the box office HAD totalled $300, the studio (from what I can tell) would have seen about half that, and I think the other revenue would very likely have filled the gap.

However, since the reported costs were $200 million, and the total box office was only $219 million, I'd wager they probably DID lose money. That's a severe disappointment at least, I'd wager, but "financial disaster" might be reserved for situations where they actually LOSE a bit more than in this case. I dunno.
Total Budget was $275M. Not being able to manage to make more than $219 worldwide points to this being a disaster. You could throw Marvels least popular character on the screen and make more than that.

Green since 1974!
Old 08-03-2012, 03:58 AM   #58
robojac
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojac View Post
I wonder if I should create a thread dicussing* the GL film score because I feel like I've been going on too long about the music. it* seems like it deserves it's own thread.
*discussing
*It
robojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #59
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Total Budget was $275M. Not being able to manage to make more than $219 worldwide points to this being a disaster. You could throw Marvels least popular character on the screen and make more than that.
GL's budget was $200 mil. It's been rumored that WB spent up to $80 million on marketing, but this is only speculation because studios don't officially release that number. It's considered over-head (see my post on Hollywood Accounting in the Discussion thread) and not directly figured into cost-value. GL was a failure or a flop, but if you call this a "disaster" then all the studios makes disasters every year and the term loses significance. In 2011 alone there were 8 worse box office flops (also sited in that post).
Old 08-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #60
Lantern54
Corps Honor Guard

The reasons it's a financial disaster for WB:
-Made only $219M worldwide on a $200M budget (not counting marketing).
-Failed to become the successful tent pole franchise WB was counting on it being. (It's failure as a franchise could potentially cost WB billions of dollars in future revenue).

Green since 1974!
Old 08-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #61
Space Cop
The Dandy

And yet they still announced a JLA movie which means if that fails, they've really dug themselves a hole.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #62
d3v1lb0y
Red Lantern Black Ops

hmmmm let's see

I've watched GL 3 times
I was watching CA feel asleep 3 times and didn't watch the ending...

you decide

facebook: d3v1lb0y888 ...twitter: d3v1lb0y_8 ..instagram: d3v1lb0y
d3v1lb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #63
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

You see, DCs main problem was that for years, they've kept low with their films, and just made batman/superman films, or vertigo titles. Then for the past few years, they've crepped ack up, but they did it too fast, and they did it with crap films. So my suggestion to DC is just take time with their films, and they'll get themselves annother successfull franchise. How about Hawkman, I can see many routes for that, some really shit, and some really good. I'd recomend the Eygiption route for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #64
Deadpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3v1lb0y View Post
hmmmm let's see

I've watched GL 3 times
I was watching CA feel asleep 3 times and didn't watch the ending...

you decide
Exactly, CA was boring! Atleast GL was funny!
Quote:
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Old 08-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #65
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
You see, DCs main problem was that for years, they've kept low with their films, and just made batman/superman films, or vertigo titles. Then for the past few years, they've crepped ack up, but they did it too fast, and they did it with crap films. So my suggestion to DC is just take time with their films, and they'll get themselves annother successfull franchise. How about Hawkman, I can see many routes for that, some really shit, and some really good. I'd recomend the Eygiption route for that.
Excuse me? But that was WB's decision, not DC. DC is only a brand title/ comic book company, they are not a movie studio.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #66
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
The reasons it's a financial disaster for WB:
-Made only $219M worldwide on a $200M budget (not counting marketing).
-Failed to become the successful tent pole franchise WB was counting on it being. (It's failure as a franchise could potentially cost WB billions of dollars in future revenue).
Not sure why you specify (not counting marketing) under the budget, but don't specify (not counting licensing, DVD sales, etc.) under revenue. Unless you're just trying to paint it in the worst light possible?

And no, I don't think that loss of "future potential revenue" should count as "financial disaster" in this case. I'm sure that doesn't show up in their accounting books, and it is totally unquantifiable. Studios make all kinds of movies, but I very much doubt they ever BANK on the potential revenue from sequels when making their financial plans. They've also SAVED all the money they would have spent on those sequels.

I'm not sure why you seem so intent on portraying this in the worst POSSIBLE light. I'm not trying to whitewash it or anything. It was a BIG disappointment, and almost certainly lost them money overall, but "financial disaster"? That seems a bit overly dramatic to me.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #67
Deadpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
Excuse me? But that was WB's decision, not DC. DC is only a brand title/ comic book company, they are not a movie studio.
Ah right. Surely DC have something to do with choosing the films though.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #68
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

I love gl but it's time to get over it... the movie fucking sucks dick through a straw, which is why critics ripped it's asshole apart like a mortal kombat fatality, thus why almost no one bothered to see it. Which cannot be said for captain America, as it was liked by critics more than gl and people actually paid to see it.
Superlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #69
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Not sure why you specify (not counting marketing) under the budget, but don't specify (not counting licensing, DVD sales, etc.) under revenue...
I made an extensive argument for this point in the discussion thread and cited sources of how Hollywood does business. The fact is that they don't count marketing, distribution, and DVD production in the budget and when you do count those even well-regarded and somewhat successful movies lose money (the article cited Rain Man as an example). Normally the studios consider all of those expenses as overhead or the cost of doing business. You only heard about this when GL failed and bloggers started casting it in the worst possible light with rumors of an 80 mil commercial budget. But when they speak of how much Thor or Avengers made they only compare it to the actual production budget. When GL failed all of sudden people want to include the gas money for the grip getting to set.

On the other hand, I think Lantern54 is at least partly right about budget being related to sequels. A movie like GL is expensive in production, but when they okay X amount of dollars to design Oa and say 20 principle GLs they often take into account the fact that if they do #2 or #3 that work is all done (Oa is designed and Rot Lop Fan is ready to go) and the pre-production cost then can be effectively (though not actually) spread out over multiple movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlantern View Post
I love gl but it's time to get over it... the movie fucking sucks dick through a straw, which is why critics ripped it's asshole apart like a mortal kombat fatality, thus why almost no one bothered to see it. Which cannot be said for captain America, as it was liked by critics more than gl and people actually paid to see it.
Why do you have the movie in your sig?

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-04-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:49 AM   #70
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

Green Lantern The Movie didn't suck.

You spelled Captain America wrong in your poll, and I didn't see it anyway. Hate Marvel.

No vote.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #71
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
Ah right. Surely DC have something to do with choosing the films though.
No not at all. WB decides what DC properties will be made into movies.

Besides do you really think that DC wanted to make a Jonah Hex movie before they made a Wonder woman film?

Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 08-04-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #72
Lantern54
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
And yet they still announced a JLA movie which means if that fails, they've really dug themselves a hole.
JLA hasn't been officially announced has it?

Green since 1974!
Old 08-04-2012, 03:15 AM   #73
Lantern54
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlantern View Post
My man! Testify!!! You're spot on on everything you said.

Green since 1974!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #74
Deadpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
No not at all. WB decides what DC properties will be made into movies.

Besides do you really think that DC wanted to make a Jonah Hex movie before they made a Wonder woman film?
I see your point. Maybe they should switch to Fox or something. And for the redord, I liked Jonah Hex!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #75
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

WB *owns* DC; how would they switch??

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deadpoll, deadpool spawned thread