The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 03-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #13401
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
He's not saying it was for Hal. He's saying the audience shouldn't need that info if the movie does its job well and we learn as the character learns.
The problem with that is that the movie wasn't only told by Hal's point of view but also Sinestro's.

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #13402
Gray Lantern
Senior Corps Member

It seems like one of the problems of the movie is that they really wanted to do both a lot of space stuff as well as have it centered on Earth. Seems like it would have been a lot better and cheaper if the movie would have started with the origin of John Stewart and then switch to Hal. Intro to concept > trip to Oa > back to Earth for that stuff. Would have made more sense, people who thought John Stewart was GL would understand (especially if he were worked into the advertisements), and the plot would have been somewhat smoother.
Gray Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #13403
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltiC5-27 View Post
The problem with that is that the movie wasn't only told by Hal's point of view but also Sinestro's.
The movie was told by Tomar Re (Geoffrey Rush).
Old 03-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #13404
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
He's not saying it was for Hal. He's saying the audience shouldn't need that info if the movie does its job well and we learn as the character learns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Precisely. I'm not saying that a narration HAS to be a bad thing, or even that it was in this instance. I'm just saying that it isn't NECESSARY if there is a plausible, built-in way for the audience to otherwise learn those things during the course of the movie...
And then people would've complained that there were too many exposition scenes. And if you skipped it altogether they'd ask where this Parallax guy came from and who he Guardians were. You can't win.

I just think that narration, regardless of whether or not it worked in GL, is a completely valid form of exposition. It's not a short cut. It's not failing to do their job. In fact, it's one of the oldest, most common forms. It goes back to the tradition of the chorus in Greek drama. Aristophanes used it. Shakespeare used it. I think it's valid.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #13405
EmeraldGamer
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
And then people would've complained that there were too many exposition scenes. And if you skipped it altogether they'd ask where this Parallax guy came from and who he Guardians were. You can't win.

I just think that narration, regardless of whether or not it worked in GL, is a completely valid form of exposition. It's not a short cut. It's not failing to do their job. In fact, it's one of the oldest, most common forms. It goes back to the tradition of the chorus in Greek drama. Aristophanes used it. Shakespeare used it. I think it's valid.
Agreed. It's just a fact that the non comic reading movie audience knows next to nothing of GL...many of us have seen proof of this with people who confused GL with Green Hornet. So they need a lil background first. Star Wars had it in written form in the beginning of the movies and GL was spoken. One of my friends said it helped him understand the world of GL alot more.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #13406
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post

I think it is valid, as well, but it IS a short cut. That's not a derogatory term (or it doesn't have to be), just an acknowledgement that narration basically serves to TELL you something in a short time that would take longer to SHOW. And the only alternative isn't scenes heavy with expository dialogue. That's just narration by the characters, essentially (and again, not intrinsically bad). Another alternative is to show visually and through standard dialogue something that you COULD explain more quickly in a narration.

Narration is a way of getting explanations out of the way quickly so you can focus your time and energy on something else. And that's perfectly fine if the "something else" is more worthwhile, and presented entertainingly. IMHO, this movie kind of failed in that. The narration wasn't the problem, but I DID kind of find myself thinking that ditching Parallax and focusing more on Hal's introduction to the GLC (while fighting some kind of villain that required less complicated backstory to explain) MIGHT have been a more entertaining route to take-- and likely would not have required an opening narration.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 03-14-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Mister Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #13407
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltiC5-27 View Post
Huh? I didn't get that at all. I felt Sinestro was severely underused, actually.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #13408
EmeraldGamer
Green Lantern

Quote:
Huh? I didn't get that at all. I felt Sinestro was severely underused, actually.
Agreed. My dad who saw this flick...and is 81..said he liked Sinestro...and wondered why he wasn't in the movie more.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #13409
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I think it is valid, as well, but it IS a short cut. That's not a derogatory term (or it doesn't have to be) ... Another alternative is to show visually and through standard dialogue something that you COULD explain more quickly in a narration. ... And that's perfectly fine if the "something else" is more worthwhile, and presented entertainingly. ....
Okay, I can see that. My main point wasn't defending GL's use of it, anyway, just saying that opening narration doesn't immediately mean they're being cheap and the story will be lousy.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:48 AM   #13410
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
He was saying we should learn as the character learns and I meant in the movie we didn't only see what Hal saw but also Sinestro and even Abin Sur. So it was pobably a good idea to have an opening narration so people who dont know anything about GL have a little backround info.

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:00 AM   #13411
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

Gl is on HBO tonight. I do believe it is the cable premier.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #13412
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard

It is and I still say screw the hate, I love the GL movie everytime that I see it all I can do is smile and take it all in. I'll never argue that it's perfect or a great film but, everyone involved should be proud of what they did. It's a damn good movie and I would love to see a sequel because it's all there to take it to the next level in part 2.
Raker616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #13413
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raker616 View Post
It is and I still say screw the hate, I love the GL movie everytime that I see it all I can do is smile and take it all in...
Yeah, I've seen it about 5 times and am ready to give the blu-ray another spin.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #13414
Lantern54
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raker616 View Post
It is and I still say screw the hate, I love the GL movie everytime that I see it all I can do is smile and take it all in. I'll never argue that it's perfect or a great film but, everyone involved should be proud of what they did. It's a damn good movie and I would love to see a sequel because it's all there to take it to the next level in part 2.
I can't even finish the movie now, it bores me to tears. The score is like a lullaby.

Green since 1974!
Lantern54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #13415
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern54 View Post
I can't even finish the movie now, it bores me to tears. The score is like a lullaby.
well too bad for you then

everyone here knows i loved the film, could it had been better yes, was it the next Dark Knight/Avatar good no, it was what it was a good film, not a great film just a good one

h@ll i'm thinking of having a GL movie weekend one day, where i look at all the GL films we have up to date who's with me on this?

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #13416
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

I enjoyed the Green Lantern movie for what it is (standard Superhero fare), but it wasn't a very good adaption (it did change a good number of things).
Old 03-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #13417
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

In a recent interview with matt lauer Joel McHale expressed interest in Green Lantern 2... Now the potential sequel is the butt off jokes...the gift that keeps on giving

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Superlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #13418
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlantern View Post
In a recent interview with matt lauer Joel McHale expressed interest in Green Lantern 2... Now the potential sequel is the butt off jokes...the gift that keeps on giving

"Doing The Soup and doing Community are both pretty great, but I'd like to leave those at some point to do Green Lantern 2"
- Joel McHale
Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #13419
EmeraldGamer
Green Lantern

Very very curious...how this will all turn out

Old 03-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #13420
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Emeraldgamer do you really take that seriously? Joel McHale was mocking the fact that there won't be a sequel and that Green Lantern has become a joke because of the film.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #13421
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I would hate to see WB give up on Green Lantern so easily. Not every adaption of Superman or Batman has been wonderful,but we keep getting them for better or worse. As we should. I agree GL was a pretty coastly fail as far as money is concerned,But who's fault was that? You can consider Green Lantern a mistake if you like,But In my Opinion I feel that Shelving him for forever would be a more coastly mistake. In the Grand scheme of things.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #13422
EmeraldGamer
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
Emeraldgamer do you really take that seriously? Joel McHale was mocking the fact that there won't be a sequel and that Green Lantern has become a joke because of the film.
I know McHale is a comedian...I was not referring to him. I am referring to when we will get the official word if there will be a sequel or not. I'm betting WB will never say either way and let it all fade away.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #13423
EmeraldGamer
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
I would hate to see WB give up on Green Lantern so easily. Not every adaption of Superman or Batman has been wonderful,but we keep getting them for better or worse. As we should. I agree GL was a pretty coastly fail as far as money is concerned,But who's fault was that? You can consider Green Lantern a mistake if you like,But In my Opinion I feel that Shelving him for forever would be a more coastly mistake. In the Grand scheme of things.
Awesome post and agree 100%
Old 03-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #13424
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldGamer View Post
I'm betting WB will never say either way and let it all fade away.
I would think so. Can anyone even remember a studio officially saying a movie was a failure and there will never be a sequel?
Old 03-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #13425
EmeraldGamer
Green Lantern

I'm curious...if the internet as it is today would have been around when Star Trek: TMP was released...how would it have faired? Would it be the butt of jokes as well? Would it have prevented ST: WOK from being made?

Tags
movie