The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 10-23-2007, 07:02 PM   #1
bOB spelled backwards
Voice of Guy Gardner

Location: in yer pool with a BIG rubber duck while yer away from home.
Lightbulb in an effort to get to know each other better ...

Let's each list 5 things about ourselves ... Things that kinda define who we are
as people, and individuals ... Who wants to start ???
Old 10-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Five things? That define who we are? I dunno, that's kinda limiting.

1.)Christian
2.)Husband
3.)Father of two (going on three come this December)
4.)SF fan, including GL, Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Firefly, older SF novels (many of the newer ones are too out-there for my tastes. Give me old Asimov, Clarke, Niven, etc.)
5.)Not actually a talking horse. Ed is my middle name. It's great for asking people to guess my middle name. I give the the first letter, they don't get it. I give them the LAST letter, they still don't get it. Then I give them the second letter. (Usually by the time I give them the second-to-last letter, they catch on.)
Old 10-23-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

Send a message via MSN to methos Send a message via Skype™ to methos

only five...

1. Writer

I write various fanfic and short stories, posted here, comicvine and tth (www.tthfanfic.com)

2. Artist

I love to draw, most of my latest work has been in 3D on the computer, but i also love to draw normally using pigment ink pens, or using photoshop to create my own wacky images.

3. Loner

I like the quiet... i guess I've always been a loner, enjoying my own time and peace...

4. Dreamer

definitely a dreamer, i love to imagine what the future could hold, or playing with what if's... mainly these 'musings' lead to writing random fanfic or short stories...

5. Collector

collector of GL stuff, DVD's (mainly TV shows like Quantum Leap, Highlander, Stargate, Buffy, CSI, Law and Order, Bones, Saved by the Bell... tons more), books and Ex girlfriends lol

M
Old 10-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #4
bOB spelled backwards
Voice of Guy Gardner

Listing only five things is definitely limiting, so ...
How about five or more things about yerself then ???
Old 10-23-2007, 11:33 PM   #5
Big Daddy Caesar
Damn Dirty Ape

Hmm...

1. I'm a husband and father of two children (11 and 7)

2. Into comics quite a bit, and spend way too much money on my habit. GL, Flash, JSA, Green Arrow, Doom Patrol, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Spectre, Deadman, Atom, Hawkman, and Captain Marvel are my comic related passions. Nothing above Hal and the GLC for me though!

3. I love other stuff like LOTR, Southpark, Simpsons, Star Wars, King Kong, slasher film monsters, universal monsters, Indiana Jones, Planet Of The Apes, 007, Romero zombie flicks, and horror movies in general. In fact, I think I spend more on my DVD habit lately than my comic one!

4. I grew up on 80s thrash metal, but find myself listening to country more than anything now in my old age. Dream Theater is still my all time favorite band.

5. I'm into politics, and consider myself a social and fiscal conservative.

"Caesar IS home."

Big Daddy Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:47 PM   #6
raynersraider

These are always tough...I don't know how to prioritize my admittedly boring life...

1) I'm a husband for 7 years, no kids as of yet. I have a lot of nieces and nephews, though. (Ever notice that there is no word to substitute for "nieces and nephews" like "siblings" substitutes for "brothers and sisters"?)

2) I'm a former journalist, worked in newspapers for about 4-5 years before I left the field.

3) I'm a big football fan, being a long-suffering Minnesota Vikings fan and my brother-in-law is the head coach of a NAIA football team. (Interesting side note, I covered the football team for the school newspaper at South Dakota State--my alma mater--and witnessed fellow Jackrabbit Adam Vinatieri miss a kick in the closing seconds...may have been the last time he ever did that)

4) I liked the era of video games in the mid-90s when FMV was all the rage. I love popping Wing Commander 3&4 and Psychic Detective into my PS2.

5) My real name is Cal and I have a cousin named Kara. Ooooh, Superman similarities....
Old 10-24-2007, 12:05 AM   #7
lanternut
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via MSN to lanternut

1. My wife and two year old are my world

2. DC or Nothing!

3. Guy Gardner is the voice in my head

4. Steal my car just leave my 80GB iPod with all the Batman Animated episodes on it alone!

5. I still get all giddy on Wednesday afternoons
Old 10-24-2007, 12:06 AM   #8
bOB spelled backwards
Voice of Guy Gardner

I guess it's my turn then ...

1. I've been married for over 5 years ... We currently have six animals living in our humble home with us ... Harvey (male dutch dwarf rabbit, over 8 years old now), Sara (female cat, over a year old now), and four kittens (Camelot, Noxie, Zorro, and Laracroft, over two weeks old) ... The wife has some fish, but I don't think she's named them ... We shower regulary and don't let the animals near our clothing, so we won't be the smelly people in front of ya at Burger King ...

2. I've been reading comics, mainly DC ones, for most of my life ... I'm a big fan of Green Lantern (Guy, Hal, and Kyle), Green Arrow (Ollie and Connor), The Creeper, Metal Men, and Zauriel ... I'd love to have Grant Morrison do Green Lantern Corps on a full time basis ...

3. Sometimes, I do standup comedy for charities and private parties ... I have a cd due out next year titled *COLOR ME CONFUSED* ... To be perfectly honest, I think that I suck at comedy, but people keep hiring me, so I guess they like what I do ... I'd rather be doing skit comedy though ... Standup isn't always fun when yer up on that stage with spotlights on ya ... Before my foot hits the stage every time, I ask myself, "Why am I doing this to myself again ???"

4. Until I was 11 or 12 years old, my parents were carnies ... We travelled all over the United States, but mainly stayed in the Central US (TX, LA, OK, AR, NE, SD, IL, etc) ... As a child, I actually hated moving from place to place ... I'd make a friend, then hafta leave in a week or so ... Plus, I often started school late, so I'd have a lot of classwork to make up ... In retrospective though, the carnival life opened me up to people, so it wasn't bad ...

5. I spent two years in Catholic seminary for the priesthood ... I didn't make it to ordination (by a long shot), but GOD is still a very important part of who I am ... In fact, I've studied many different religions over the years since seminary ... I don't believe in religion, but I am spiritual ...

I don't wanna put anyone to sleep, so I'll stop with only 5 things ...

Also, I'm a huge fan of U2, Bruce Springsteen, and matchbox twenty, but I listen to a lot of other music too ...
Old 10-24-2007, 12:11 AM   #9
Nived

1: Single no kids.

2: Have a dog, beagle, named Rowdy.

3: I work digital prepress at a publishing company designing textbooks and yearbooks before they go to press. Which has nothing to do with what I went to school for, which was a Mass Communications (film student).

4: I'm a table top gamer. Dungeons and Dragons and the like.

5: I have bizarre luck, I wouldn't call it good, or bad, just big. I have plenty of stories where I should be missing a limb, or be dead, but I'm still in one piece. Now is it bad luck that I have these things happen to me, or good luck that I manage to make it through? Not unscathed, I still have the scars, I'm just not dead.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:47 AM   #10
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobservations View Post
Also, I'm a huge fan of U2, Bruce Springsteen, and matchbox twenty, but I listen to a lot of other music too ...
Matchbox 20 definitely kick ass... love their music

also a huge 3 doors down fan

M
Old 10-24-2007, 01:48 AM   #11
bOB spelled backwards
Voice of Guy Gardner

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by methos View Post
Matchbox 20 definitely kick ass... love their music

also a huge 3 doors down fan

M
There's just something incredible about Rob Thomas' voice ...

3 Doors Down is cool too ... Do ya like Train ???
Old 10-24-2007, 01:54 AM   #12
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

Quote:
There's just something incredible about Rob Thomas' voice ...

3 Doors Down is cool too ... Do ya like Train ???
not heard of them...

my music tastes are a bit weird though, i've spent a lot of time listening to Grant Lee and Sarah McLachlan lately, but i've also got a lot of rock and alternative on CD...

think my favorite track at the moment is The Ballad of Cathain, or Unwell by M20... maybe What about Everything by Carbon Leaf

M
Old 10-24-2007, 02:08 AM   #13
bOB spelled backwards
Voice of Guy Gardner

I listen to a bit of everything too ... Rap is too WTF? for my tastes ... Heavy metal has evolved into something less melodic than it once was, but old school Metallica is great ... I like some Korn and Killswitch Engage, but I've pretty much outgrown metal ...

During the late 60s to 70s, they played the most current hits on the carnival midways, so I heard a lot of folk and southern rock, funk soul, and rhythm n blues (mainly motown) ... Those genres still hold a very special place in my heart and music collection ... Plus, I can always get down to a good polka, opera, etc ...

I can tolerate country, but only the classics and rock flavored, like garth brooks, restless heart, exile, the bellamy brothers, kenny rogers, etc ...
Old 10-24-2007, 02:13 AM   #14
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

yeah, best to let music tastes wander...

though i suppose if you were to lump me with any 'genre', it's be Rock, Country, or Celtic lol

M
Old 10-24-2007, 02:14 AM   #15
bOB spelled backwards
Voice of Guy Gardner

I listen to rock the most, so I guess that'd be where I'd be lumped then ...
Old 10-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #16
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nived View Post
3: I work digital prepress at a publishing company designing textbooks and yearbooks before they go to press. Which has nothing to do with what I went to school for, which was a Mass Communications (film student).
This sort of sounds like me. I run a digital press (used to work in prepress), but I got my degree in Architecture. Unfortunately, I was rejected from the fifth year of the program, making the preceding four years pretty well useless from a career standpoint, unless I wanted to try to get into a (most likely three year), grad school program at another school. I was pretty burned out on Architecture school by that point, though, and unsure how likely I was to get accepted in such a program after being rejected from continuing the program I was already in. The field still interests me, but the torture I would likely have to go through to work in it at this point is a deal breaker, especially now with two-going-on-three kids to support.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:40 PM   #17
conn

1- I love my wife.We have been married for only for a year but have been with each other for years.She and our dog are my family
2-Comedian. This is what i do. Sure i have a "real job" but i will be working harder toward my stand-up future. I enjoyed the 'Unemployed Skeletor" run,and i am now working in a sketch group,but stand-up is my ultimate path.
3-dork.Since i was 5,i have loved comics,sci-fi,movies,tv,books.I am proud of it too!
4-I guess 4 & 5 will be tied in to 3.My all time fave character is ofcourse Green Lantern,my all time fave writer is J.M. DeMatteis,followed by Joss Whedon.Jon J Muth is my fave artist.Peter Gabriel,Radiohead,Joseph Arthur,The Servant and Tom Petty are my all time fave musicians(especially Peter Gabriel)Fave tv shows:Firefly,Buffy,Angel,Homicide,Darkplace and tons more brit comedies.Fave movies:Serenity,The Last Tempatation of Christ and other films by Martin Scorsese,actually there are too many to mention,so i'll just say:me like movies.
5-I am spiritual,but more on a buddist level,I have not and will not practice organized religion. Like the old bumper sticker:Im a fan of God,not his fan club
Old 10-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #18
Satyrquaze

1. Spiritual: I consider myself pagan and in the strictest definition I am Animist. Which means I tend to think that animals and anything living thing in nature are *closer* to the mother/creator than we are.

2. Artist: I sketch, therefore I consider myself an artist. My artsy side defined me quite a bit in school... especially in math class. I've never put my work up on the internets.

3. Comics My favorite characters tend to define me. I was a huge fan Quasar fan before he died. I'm currently part of the Quantum Zone forumhttp://quantumzone.org/forum/. where we are trying to bring Wendell Vaughn back. My friends there recently sent a cake to Bill Roseman at Marvel depicting our Cosmic Avenger, with a note attached saying that he should be brought back. Also among my faves are: Captain Marvel (SHAZAM!), Kyle Rayner, Silver Surfer, Nova, Sodam Yat... and of course Bats. I am one of the few guys I know that actively avoid the X-titles.

4. Football I'm also a fan of the Minnesota Vikings... sometimes sadly so. I grew up in Minneapolis so they are pretty much my team. I got into the football during the '98 season when the Vikings went 15-1 and should have won the Superbowl.

5. Gamer I'm a gamer, I've played in D&D games with one of the creators of D&D. I've been playing for 18 years (wow I'm old) and have played most rpgs that are out there.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:40 PM   #19
GLRogue

1. Writer

I write therefore I am - an old cliche but very true in my case. It's like breathing to me. I create new ideas for new characters, plots and stories every day. Right now, I'm working on my own comic with a friend in California along with an illustrated novel with a friend here in Aberdeen.

2. British

Or more accurately, almost Scottish. I love my country, our history, our mythology, everything. I've lived up in Scotland most of my life, hence the 'almost' Scottish, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

3. Spiritual

Wiccan to be exact.

4. Music

I normally say Dave Matthews Band or some such but I'm listening to a lot of folky, mythy type stuff at the moment (Methos's fault).

5. Warren Ellis

I'll admit it even on a board that has nothing to do with him (has he ever written a GL?): I cyber-stalk Warren Ellis. He's my all-time favourite author, he's funny, smart and twisted. I love his stuff.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #20
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLRogue View Post
4. Music

I normally say Dave Matthews Band or some such but I'm listening to a lot of folky, mythy type stuff at the moment (Methos's fault).
Sure... blame me lol

M
Old 10-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #21
GLRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by methos View Post
Sure... blame me lol

M
Every time :P
Old 10-24-2007, 08:23 PM   #22
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

1. Engaged, My fiance' and I have been egaged for over a year and plan to get married... Whenever.

2. Metal Head. Was a huge metallica fan, but found Megadeth and they became the top for me. Dave's Music helped keep me on the straight and narrow. Huge Pantera Fan, Dimebag Darrell will be forever missed. Seen Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society 3 times as well. Btw Dave Cromier Dream Theater on gigantour 2005 and Really liked them too. I also into other Froms of Music..... You Matchbox twenty fans Rob thomas Gradauted and lived 5 miles away from me.... but so did two members of trivium.

C. Collector I have tons of Superman stuff, Started Buying Gl books and figures early this year.

4. I do Phone Support for Embarq Dsl and have been a desk jockey for a total of 5 years for various companies.

E. my name is Ed I drive a dodge (great choice HUH?) Sirius is the best radio on radio.
Superlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:56 PM   #23
bOB spelled backwards
Voice of Guy Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlantern View Post
4. I do Phone Support for Embarq Dsl and have been a desk jockey for a total of 5 years for various companies.
There's a major Embarq hub directly across the street from our house ... It's located behind the firestation ... There's constantly Embarq trucks back there too ... I guess they must be kept busy with work ...

Are ya in America, or overseas ??? I hate calling tech support, and being transferred to India ... I feel like I'm being questioned by the India mafia every time too ... "Your service today was satisfactory. Yes?" It annoys the crap out of me ... They answer their own question, before I even can say anything ...
Old 10-24-2007, 08:57 PM   #24
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

Quote:
There's a major Embarq hub directly across the street from our house ... It's located behind the firestation ... There's constantly Embarq trucks back there too ... I guess they must be kept busy with work ...

Are ya in America, or overseas ??? I hate calling tech support, and being transferred to India ... I feel like I'm being questioned by the India mafia every time too ... "Your service today was satisfactory. Yes?" It annoys the crap out of me ... They answer their own question, before I even can say anything ...

I'm always tempted to say down the phone "Blessed Be" at the end of it...

actually did it once and the techie couldn't hang up fast enough

M
Old 10-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #25
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

all Embarq Tech support is on shore I'm in orlando myself, and we have tech in Shreveport LA and one center in carlisle PA
Superlantern is offline   Reply With Quote