The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 01-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
stingerman
Fatality's Blacksmith

Default Is This Kilowog?

Is This Kilowog?

First Look: Kilowog?

Green Lantern: The Movie Report

Possible Spoilers Inside:

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/articles/glm_report/

- Cosmic Book News
stingerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
LanternJake
Green Lantern

Thumbs up

nice find ,looks cool but i wanna see how they interpret Tomar-re.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Its official concept art.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Jack T. Chance
Really knows where his towel is!

Location: The Planet Garnet, AKA "Hellhole", Space Sector 0017
Exclamation

That article is weak because it does NOT mention where those images of Kilowog came from, or who created them. Could be legitimate design art from the current production. Could be legitimate design art from a previous attempt at making a Green Lantern movie. Or it could just be fan art. Without any citation of the source, there's no way to know.

But one thing I do know for certain: The OTHER "production art" shown on that page is old, pre-dating the actual movie production that is moving forward, and it's from an artist that, although he was involved in a PITCH for the movie, he is NOT, I repeat, NOT the artist that was hired as the film's ACTUAL Production Designer. So his stuff does NOT represent what the movie will actually look like, and thank The Maker for that, because his character designs were HORRIBLE, especially his design for Hal Jordan's GL uniform! It's all just bad fanwank, in my opinion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Its official concept art.
PROVE IT. What is the source of said art? WHO is the artist responsible for it? PROVIDE A LINK THAT BACKS UP YOUR CLAIM. Otherwise, you're just blowing smoke out your ass.

As I first reported HERE (and backed up with a link to a legitimate, reputable news source) the old concept art shown on that page was done by a guy named Brian Murray, who DID NOT get the job as the film's Production Designer. That job has gone to AARON SIMS, who also served in that capacity for Marvel's The Incredible Hulk, directed by Louis Leterrier and starring Edward Norton and Liv Tyler. So unless that Kilowog concept art is by Aaron Sims, it is NOT official concept art for the production.

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 01-26-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Jack T. Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Lantern54
Corps Honor Guard

I love how he looks...bring on more concept art.

Green since 1974!
Lantern54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
stingerman
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
That article is weak because it does NOT mention where those images of Kilowog came from, or who created them. Could be legitimate design art from the current production. Could be legitimate design art from a previous attempt at making a Green Lantern movie. Or it could just be fan art. Without any citation of the source, there's no way to know.

But one thing I do know for certain: The OTHER "production art" shown on that page is old, pre-dating the actual movie production that is moving forward, and it's from an artist that, although he was involved in a PITCH for the movie, he is NOT, I repeat, NOT the artist that was hired as the film's ACTUAL Production Designer. So his stuff does NOT represent what the movie will actually look like, and thank The Maker for that, because his character designs were HORRIBLE, especially his design for Hal Jordan's GL uniform! It's all just bad fanwank, in my opinion! PROVE IT. What is the source of said art? WHO is the artist responsible for it? PROVIDE A LINK THAT BACKS UP YOUR CLAIM. Otherwise, you're just blowing smoke out your ass.

As I first reported HERE (and backed up with a link to a legitimate, reputable news source) the old concept art shown on that page was done by a guy named Brian Murray, who DID NOT get the job as the film's Production Designer. That job has gone to AARON SIMS, who also served in that capacity for Marvel's The Incredible Hulk, directed by Louis Leterrier and starring Edward Norton and Liv Tyler. So unless that Kilowog concept art is by Aaron Sims, it is NOT official concept art for the production.
Source is confidential....maybe.

Is that Kilowog?

- Cosmic Book News
Old 01-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Of course it's all speculation at this point, but real or not I really like the concept.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:

But one thing I do know for certain: The OTHER "production art" shown on that page is old, pre-dating the actual movie production that is moving forward, and it's from an artist that, although he was involved in a PITCH for the movie, he is NOT, I repeat, NOT the artist that was hired as the film's ACTUAL Production Designer. So his stuff does NOT represent what the movie will actually look like, and thank The Maker for that, because his character designs were HORRIBLE, especially his design for Hal Jordan's GL uniform! It's all just bad fanwank, in my opinion! PROVE IT. What is the source of said art? WHO is the artist responsible for it? PROVIDE A LINK THAT BACKS UP YOUR CLAIM. Otherwise, you're just blowing smoke out your ass.

1. Calm down.

2. Production Designer and Concept Artist are two different things.

3. From what I know, the Kilowog design in that article is one of many pre-production designs. And while I can't fully guarantee that those designs are the final basis for the film, I can say that these were produced much after those early designs and a lot closer to preproduction.

4. Here. Enjoy this until someone leaks the rest.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
Shaolinlantern
Parallax Host

WOW!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
Lantern54
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
1. Calm down.

2. Production Designer and Concept Artist are two different things.

3. From what I know, the Kilowog design in that article is one of many pre-production designs. And while I can't fully guarantee that those designs are the final basis for the film, I can say that these were produced much after those early designs and a lot closer to preproduction.

4. Here. Enjoy this until someone leaks the rest.

Goodness gracious...those are damn near perfect.

Green since 1974!
Lantern54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
stingerman
Fatality's Blacksmith

Awesome West!

I added them to the article.

Hope you don't mind seeing how this is a public forum.

- Cosmic Book News
Old 01-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #12
unclegnewman
Weaponer of Qward

Those really look great. Is that Abin Sur or a different take on Sinestro, sans mustache and hair? The coloring is a bit pink for Abin.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #13
WolfLantern
Guy's Drinking Buddy

They look good so far i cant wait to see actual stills or trailer for this movie.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #14
IonFan
Forum Member

he needs a little work but has of now that is a kick a$$ looking 'wog

IonFan says

Quote:
Yeah I get that your mad but ignoring the facts and burning down your own city won't help/change things
IonFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #15
Jack T. Chance

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerman View Post
Source is confidential....maybe.

Is that Kilowog?

Sorry, that's just a lame excuse. If it's legitimate, REVEAL THE SOURCE. This kind of info is too easy to fake. So reveal what you know. Otherwise, again, smoke out the ass, nothing more.

I'm assuming you're the writer for that blog. Linking to this thread as a source of verification, because West said they were official concept art? Sorry, but that does NOT count as verification of anything. Right now, until a legitimate source is named, this thread is only SPECULATION, nothing more.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #16
stingerman
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
Sorry, that's just a lame excuse. If it's legitimate, REVEAL THE SOURCE. This kind of info is too easy to fake. So reveal what you know. Otherwise, again, smoke out the ass, nothing more.

I'm assuming you're the writer for that blog. Linking to this thread as a source of verification, because West said they were official concept art? Sorry, but that does NOT count as verification of anything. Right now, until a legitimate source is named, this thread is only SPECULATION, nothing more.
Who said West isn't legit?

Anyway, I may be protecting my brother's friend's uncle's cousin's son from losing their job...or maybe not.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...it-587289.html

- Cosmic Book News

Last edited by stingerman; 01-26-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #17
W.West

Quote:

No journalism should EVER reveal their source, and you should be slapped for asking him to because that is common knowledge. But I am no form of verification. I am simply acknowledging that I (albeit some many months ago) was informed that these and the rest are official.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #18
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn

Hot damn! I have to say, if those are real, then it's spot on. Tomar Re looks perfect, as well as Abin. While I don't think Kilowog is perfect, he's damned close.

And the costumes look pretty good. I kinda hope for white gloves, but I'd be plenty happy with these designs, they're mostly classic designs with extra detail and most importantly an accurate lantern symbol and no armor
Old 01-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #19
Jack T. Chance

Exclamation

Quote:
No journalism should EVER reveal their source, and you should be slapped for asking him to because that is common knowledge. But I am no form of verification. I am simply acknowledging that I (albeit some many months ago) was informed that these and the rest are official.
You clearly don't get it, so allow me to explain it: MOST bloggers merely REPOST information they've found elsewhere on the internet. They aren't journalists in the traditional sense, and in the case of movie news, they're usually not reporting information from a confidential source that needs to be protected. Again, most of the time, bloggers are just repeating a story found elsewhere. So when I say "reveal the source", what I am ACTUALLY saying is "POST THE LINK TO THE SITE THIS INFORMATION CAME FROM ORIGINALLY." Because 99 times out of 100, that blogger was just repeating someone else's story.

Now then, if he IS privy to confidential information from an inside source, he needs to do a few things:
  1. Clearly state that this is a story exclusive to his blog, a story that he's breaking.
  2. He needs to clearly state that this info came from a source whose identity is being protected because it's a source within the production and they could get in trouble for violating a Non-Disclosure Agreement.
  3. NAME THE ARTIST(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONCEPT IMAGES. That's just giving credit where credit is due, and thus is always the right thing to do.
Any blogger that has any knowledge whatsoever about what it means to be a responsible journalist would already have done these things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingJohn View Post
Hot damn! I have to say, if those are real, then it's spot on. Tomar Re looks perfect, as well as Abin. While I don't think Kilowog is perfect, he's damned close.

And the costumes look pretty good. I kinda hope for white gloves, but I'd be plenty happy with these designs, they're mostly classic designs with extra detail and most importantly an accurate lantern symbol and no armor
I like Abin, Kilowog looks good, but I don't like Tomar-Re. His beak just looks weird in that art. Reminds me of something else I've seen that also looked a little weird... maybe one of the aliens in Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials or something.

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 01-26-2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Correcting typos...
Jack T. Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #20
SmurfLantern
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Man this is good stuff.....love Tomar and Kilowog....Abin Sur is perfect. Not too sure about the uniforms. Hope Hal's is closer to the originals.

Leonidas:

The world will know that free men stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many, and before this battle was over, that even a god-king can bleed.
SmurfLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #21
Jeffi.Kaiser
Guy's Designated Dr

Quote:
Umm...thats not true lol. I've been involved with journalism for about 5 years now, and I would have received a failing grade if I never revealed a source
Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 PM   #22
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfLantern View Post
Man this is good stuff.....love Tomar and Kilowog....Abin Sur is perfect. Not too sure about the uniforms. Hope Hal's is closer to the originals.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ngila does her own thing, as in, concept art is one thing, actually producing it is another entirely.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 PM   #23
W.West

Quote:
You clearly don't get it, so allow me to explain it: MOST bloggers merely REPOST information they've found elsewhere on the internet. They aren't journalists in the traditional sense, and in the case of movie news, they're usually not reporting information from a confidential source that needs to be protected. Against, most of the time, bloggers are just repeating a story found elsewhere. So when I say "reveal the source", what I am ACTUALLY saying is "POST THE LINK TO THE SITE THIS INFORMATION CAME FROM ORIGINALLY." Because 99 times out of 100, that blogger was just repeating someone else's story.

Now then, if he IS privy to confidential information from an inside source, he needs to do a couple things:
  1. Clearly state that this is a story exclusive to his blog, a story that he's breaking.
  2. He needs to clearly state that this info came from a source whose identity is being protected because it's a source within the production and they could get in trouble for violating a Non-Disclosure Agreement.
  3. NAME THE ARTIST(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONCEPT IMAGES. That's just giving credit where credit is due, and thus is always the right thing to do.
Any blogger that has any knowledge whatsoever about what it means to be a responsible journalist would already have done these things.
Hell, I don't remember who the artist is! lol All I can remember being under an embargo to not distribute, which I obviously broke to help his story. Obviously my word doesn't make it official, though I'd like to believe my own source for these images is not a liar. Seeing how long it took for these to pop up again, kind of makes me feel even better about his honesty.

There are no statistics on bloggers man. There are just too many to keep track of. The Green Lantern Spotlight Podcast breaks news that some people don't learn about or report for months, because like you said, we also repost news from other media outlets. Its certainly possible for him to be breaking this news. I don't know where he got his Kilowog art from, but sometimes you just can't reveal more details than what you have already stated (re: Selena Roberts/Alex Rodriguez)
Old 01-26-2010, 11:44 PM   #24
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern54 View Post
Goodness gracious...those are damn near perfect.

now im really excited for this movie.

TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:47 PM   #25
Jack T. Chance

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingJohn View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Ngila does her own thing, as in, concept art is one thing, actually producing it is another entirely.
Ngila?!?