The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 07-02-2007, 04:19 AM   #1
AlanLadd
Corps Honor Guard

Default An Alan Moore Tales of the GLC story relevant to the Sinestro Corps War?

I read this, and it makes sense:

When the Guardians are interrogating Cyborg Superman, a Guardian named Sayd mentions Abin Sur's discovery, which another Guardian dismisses as a lie.

That references a GLC story by Alan Moore in which Abin Sur visits a planet of demons who hate the Guardians. One of them offers to answer any three questions Sur asks. The story implies that the demon is omniscient and speaks only the truth, but tells (in good old-fashioned ghost-story style) the truth in a way that deceives the listener into misinterpreting it. The first question the demon answers helps Sur complete his mission of the day (tells the truth). The second question the demon answers tells Sur how he will die and that his successor will be the greatest Green Lantern of his time. There is a trick which I won't go into such that this information actually CAUSES Sur's death. But the demon speaks the truth.

The third thing the demon says is an account of how the GL core will end, with an assault from multiple enemies that will kill all GLs, last of all Mogo, and then end with demons ruling Oa. The enemies will include the weaponers of Qward, "Children of the White Lobe", and "The Empire of Tears" (which includes the very demon telling Sur the story).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glc.jpg (28.8 KB, 28 views)
AlanLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:29 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

I caught this as well. Funny, the annual in question even has sciencells in it... definitely an influence on the current Sinestro Wars arc, but it's a good influence.

There's far, far worse things to pick up plot threads from than vintage Alan Moore.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Here's a scan of the page that pretty much lays it out:

Old 07-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
GLJIMT

"Sodam Yat...Hailed as the Ultimate Green Lantern"

I cant believe I havent realized this before I guess we can figure who the next Ion is
II THESSALONIANS 3:10

Last edited by GLJIMT; 07-03-2007 at 12:18 AM.
GLJIMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
5-ball

Where exactly was Sodam Yat mentioned recently? Which book and issue if you know?
Old 07-02-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-ball View Post
Where exactly was Sodam Yat mentioned recently? Which book and issue if you know?
I don't have the issue number, but it was in GLC. Kilowog was doing some training in the GLC "Danger Room", and I think that was where he referred to one of the rookies as "Yat". Not conclusive, but given all the other stuff popping up recently, I'm assuming it WAS supposed to be Sodom Yat.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:49 PM   #7
Martley of 2814

Demons dancing on Oa playing drums with the Guardian's skin? That's pretty wicked evil.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:33 AM   #8
Bat22

"Drums bound with taut blue skin" are awesomely wicked. They've got that story among a few other G.L. tales in Alan Moore's DCU trade. The Empire of Tears, Rot Lop Fan, and Mogo... I think that guy really had a bead on the G.L. Corps like few other writers.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:10 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Amazing how GLC #11 recants this. And then the next page (not scanned), the Guardians are talking about they've noted a resurgence of activity of the "Children of the White Lobe" and that "Ranx has once again opposed our Lanterns."

Kickass!

Though I think the artist on GLC #11 misinterpreted the panel in the "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps" Annual #2. As a Daxian (quasi-Kryptonian) those were supposed to be beams shooting out of his eyes, not rods being rammed into them.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:52 AM   #10
FrEaKjOkErXXX
Torch Bearer

This is all apart of the reboot in my opion. Word is, with all of the giant things going on in the DCU, that a total reboot is on the way. Alot of the things from Kingdome Come are showing up and I think they are pulling out alot of the old stuff to show were the DCU is going.
FrEaKjOkErXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:34 AM   #11
GLJIMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrEaKjOkErXXX View Post
This is all apart of the reboot in my opion. Word is, with all of the giant things going on in the DCU, that a total reboot is on the way. Alot of the things from Kingdome Come are showing up and I think they are pulling out alot of the old stuff to show were the DCU is going.
A lot of the stuff from Kingdom Come... Yeah, like the entire Universe is already confirmed as being one of the 52.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:23 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

There won't be any reboot, not with as much as Didio has invested into carefully molding the 80s-90s continuity of the DCU in the present into what it was in the 70s. It's already exactly where he wants it, a reboot would only serve to scare away their readership for no good reason -- everything he doesn't like has already been retconned away anyway.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:53 AM   #13
raynersraider

Quote:

Ya gotta love the rabid polar bear guy.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #14
DrakeGrayson

Still though, that is very interesting. I would hate to see Mogo Die though. I just think it is cool for a planet to be a green lantern. I mean how can you replace that???
Old 07-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #15
Green_Lantern #052

Quote:
There won't be any reboot, not with as much as Didio has invested into carefully molding the 80s-90s continuity of the DCU in the present into what it was in the 70s. It's already exactly where he wants it, a reboot would only serve to scare away their readership for no good reason -- everything he doesn't like has already been retconned away anyway.
Pfft, I have a dc universe reboot button on my computer like Dido, heres the proof.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:56 AM   #16
Parallax

Hmm, After reading GL 21 and seeing what Ganthet was saying to Hal about how he needs to inspire and give hope to the rest of the GLC (Hard to do since everyone hates your guts). I started to wonder how Hal might deal with this, And i think what Hal would do is take the identity of a fallen Green Lantern, and in this case i think it will be Sodam Yat.

Wheres da Green lantern icon?? What kind of GL site is this??

Last edited by Parallax; 07-15-2007 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:06 AM   #17
GLJIMT

hit more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallax View Post
Hmm, After reading GL 21 and seeing what Ganthet was saying to Hal about how he needs to inspire and give hope to the rest of the GLC (Hard to do since everyone hates your guts). I started to wonder how Hal might deal with this, And i think what Hal would do is take the identity of a fallen Green Lantern, and in this case i think it will be Sodam Yat.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:35 AM   #18
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallax View Post

It's there. You just go : hal : without spaces, or hit "More" on the smilie list to the right to see it.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:14 PM   #19
AlanLadd
Corps Honor Guard

It's very exciting this seems to be coming about now!
Old 07-27-2007, 01:47 AM   #20
G'nortDoggie88

The Children of the White Lobe look awesome; they look like demons from a Japanese horror flick. I hope the polar bear shows up.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:01 AM   #21
Nived

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'nortDoggie88 View Post
The Children of the White Lobe look awesome; they look like demons from a Japanese horror flick. I hope the polar bear shows up.
I'll be sorely disapointed if it doesn't.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:08 AM   #22
PowerRingE3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'nortDoggie88 View Post
I hope the polar bear shows up.
hell yea, give'em a yellow ring
Old 11-25-2007, 08:54 PM   #23
Gl Josh
Senior Corps Member

Yeah I picked up the Alan Moore trade, the GL stuff is really good. I still want to see the GL that is an abstract mathematical equation. I mean come on we have (had) a squirrel, gas cloud, zombie, blind thing, why not have invisible abstract concepts as GLs.
Originally Posted by BatmanofSector2814 View Post
I have yet to see Avatar, mainly because it is the plot of Pocahontas wrapped in a "Halo vs World of Warcraft" flavored, CGI heavy shell...and I've already seen Pocahontas and played all 5 Halos...so....
Gl Josh is offline   Reply With Quote