The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 07-02-2007, 04:44 AM   #1
Cephied Variable

Default But why are they #1 in your eyes? (a more elaborate "favorites" thread)

The turn of conversation in this thread got me interested...

Well, it's one thing to know someone's favorite, another completely to know *why* they like them so much.

So why is your favorite Lantern your favorite?

(I've got some elaborate "why Guy Gardner is the only superhero I admire" reasoning that I'll rattle out eventually. I'm curious about what you all think, however.)
Old 07-02-2007, 05:03 AM   #2
Martley of 2814

Hal is #1 to me because he's the guy that is the icon of the character. Alann before him was kind of like the prototype of the char, and then they refined it into Hal in the 60s. Kyle was a 90s American thing (but I love him still!) and Stewart, of what i've read, seemed originally a blaxploitation thing (look at when he debuted, right when Shaft was the thing!).

So yeah.....go Hal!
Old 07-02-2007, 06:11 AM   #3
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

This thread will be quite interesting... I'd reiterate why Hal is the man, but my posts in the linked thread are too long, and make more sense in that conversational context, so go there if you want my reasoning, lol. But like I said, I am also interested in why everyone else's fav GL is their fav GL... or favorite DC character for that matter, if not a GL.
Parrylakks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
5-ball

Hal's my fav, but Guy is up there too. I guess I just think his character is someone to admire. I've always admired bravery in characters be it the 3 musketeers, King arthur's knights of the round table, robin Hood...etc. These have always been the type of characters I've been drawn to. Hal fits this mold. He's brave to the point of being reckless, but you never get the feeling that he is.

Guy is awesome because he says what he thinks and does what he wants and doesn't care what anyone else thinks. Don't we all wish we had the huevos to do this.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
GLJIMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-ball View Post
Guy is awesome because he says what he thinks and does what he wants and doesn't care what anyone else thinks. Don't we all wish we had the huevos to do this.

That is exacatly why I love Garnder
Old 07-03-2007, 04:57 AM   #6
KILLER-CLONE
Manhunter Repairman

Hal is the best because to me he IS Green Lantern. Hal loves being a GL and lives for it. I know he's struggled with it at times but what Rebirth shows is that Hal is meant to be Green Lantern. Hal detractors focus on the 'stereotypical' elements of Hal and label him dull because of it. He's tough, brash, at times arrogant, has a cool day job, knows what is right and is perfectly happy with the standard issue GL uniform. To me these are strengths of the character. And why he's my favourite Superhero.

When I read a comic book I want escapism and fantasy. I don't want flawed characters who take up valuable panel space stuggling with inner demons. I want action, a forthright approach and a character whose fun. And that is why Kyle never appealed. Plus Kyle's 2 GL uniforms were rank.

Guy is my second Fave. And John I'm completely indifferent about. To me John is dull and will always be a weak character. Yeah, i know there are plenty of John fans out there, but he's never had the strength to carry his own book. Not for long anyway.

There's plenty more I could say about the greatness of Hal. But I'm too hung over and my brain isn't working properly.

Last edited by KILLER-CLONE; 07-03-2007 at 04:59 AM.
KILLER-CLONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:11 AM   #7
Martley of 2814

A little hung over myself too but I'll say that I wouldn't change a thing about my Hal. Headstrong, dammit!
Old 07-03-2007, 05:12 AM   #8
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Alcohol and hte GLC have never been good bed fellows... thats how Hal wound up in jail.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:16 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
Alcohol and hte GLC have never been good bed fellows... thats how Hal wound up in jail.
I think that's been Superboy Prime punched away now, Parrylakks. Hal never made a mistake, ever now.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:06 AM   #10
Cephied Variable

Aww, does that mean that Guy being Hal's adorkable legal counsel and Hal, uh, flying face first into offensive billboards is no longer canon?

(Actually, I thought Emerald Dawn was super-punched away even BEFORE the actual super-punch happened).

SO.

GUY GARDNER.

5-ball already concisely summed up one reason Guy is awesome. He says it like it is, says what he thinks and doesn't have time for BS. Although that's more something I relate to than something I admire.

What I admire about Guy is his struggle, which probably means more to me than the journey of any other comic hero I can think of. When he was brought out of his coma back during COIE, he was pretty much at rock bottom. Brain Damaged, borderline sociopathic, viewed as a nuisance or a threat. He literally dragged himself out of that pit *by himself*. Between him doing and saying stupid shit back in his JLI days to opening his bar to becoming one of the most respected Lanterns in the whole entire Corps, it was all him. That it was rarely textually recognized- and therefore, of course, not recognized by the characters- that what happened to Guy was a little fucked up (THOSE GUARDIANS. WANTED HIM BRAIN DAMAGED. WUT!?!?) is actually what makes me respect the journey he took that much more. Um, what I mean is, like, this scene:

- that's pretty much it. Kari Limbo (who I'm always surprised survived past the silver age) insists that he's *not* actually Guy Gardner; at this point his identity and position as a GL is pretty much all he has. And even when he's got enough semblance of mind back to realize what he's lost, he doesn't really mourn it. He just becomes more determined to live life as he has it now on his own terms.

His character arc takes place over nearly two decades of comics and yet it's consistent and powerful. The way it was (disjointedly) written, you can respect him and sympathize with him even if you don't necessarily *think* he's a good person. BECAUSE GUY DOESN'T NEED ANYONE TO TELL HIM THAT HE'S A "GOOD MAN". UH, BECAUSE HE'S AWESOME.

In summation: Guy's awesome for a hundred and thirteen reasons, but this is the most coherent I can be after a million hours of work. (a million hours may be a slight exaggeration; a hundred and thirteen reasons is not)

ALSO, MAYBE I THOUGHT A LITTLE TOO HARD ABOUT THIS. I'M STILL IN UNIVERSITY, OKAY. BREVITY IS NOT TO BE PRACTICED FOR ANOTHER FEW YEARS.

My less superdeep reasons are: I think his outfit is cool and he's a total badass and he makes me lol. XDDD Also, he makes ridiculous things with his ring. Often ridiculous because they're, like, completely literal.

(Hal's an almost close second, but I've got no good reasons for liking him really, beyond: "he's adorable and all of his character traits appeal to me. Also, he's adorable")
Old 07-04-2007, 02:50 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Very powerful observations, Cephied. You pretty much sold me! Guy's come a long way, no doubt of it.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:53 AM   #12
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think that's been Superboy Prime punched away now, Parrylakks. Hal never made a mistake, ever now.
I know... I meant it in more than one way, though.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #13
raynersraider

I'll throw my two cents in for Kyle.

My first exposure to the "Green Lantern" concept was as a kid in the late 1970s/early 1980s watching Superfriends. Long story short, I tried picking up issues of GL now and then through the 80s and Hal just never clicked with me.

Eventually, the 90s rolled around, and I heard about Emerald Twilight. Well, I had to pick up some issues with the new guy to see what all the fuss was about. Being in college at the time, I saw a lot of myself in Kyle. Here was a guy in a tough situation, learning on the fly, facing long odds, dealing with the death of a loved one, and still being able to keep his perspective. The first issue I bought was the one where Donna is helping Kyle move in and he ends up having to save Radu from Felix Faust's demons.

Kyle has always been a fanboy's "window" into the DCU...like in JLA #1 where he's fighting the Hyperclan with Wonder Woman and he says, "I can't handle this...it's like playing with the Beatles." Watching Kyle "grow up" in Morrison's JLA was great fun as well.

Long story longer, Kyle is my favorite because he's not infallible, he wasn't born with special abilities, he's just a regular guy who's had to work very hard at his job and had to work for the respect of his peers and seems like a very humble guy.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:13 AM   #14
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard

Hal is my favorite comic book hero since I was young, his origin was classic, he was brash, cocky, arrogant, but he was a true hero till the end. His will was the strongest not because of personal tragedy but because of what was inside of him, he was chosen to be a hero. But in the end he's still a hero with or without a ring, he's loyal, brave, dependable, and cool all the things that when I was young I wanted to be. I love Geoff gets who Hal is and am lucky to have him being written correctly for the first time since COIE by guys like Waid and Ross aswell.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:38 PM   #15
Lord Malvolio
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Malvolio

Hal Jordan IS Green Lantern! Hell, Neal Adams himself said it....

Lord Malvolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:04 AM   #16
Kevin T Brown

Hal IS the Green Lantern everyone wants to be. Period. He's confident, fearless (but not stupid), every woman wants him, flies a multi-million dollar piece of equipment as a day job, and he has the coolest "side job" in being a space cop. He exudes cool. He's the kind of guy every other guy should hatre, but can't. He's their best friend no matter what because he's "real". There's not a fake bone in his body. With him, what you see is what you get.

And when push comes to shove, he'll be there to back you up. Ring or no ring.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:05 AM   #17
Nived

You know this does get to me after awhile. Many Hal fans when they tout the praises of Hal always go on about him in such a way that having any other Green Lantern as a favorite is somehow an inferior choice. Like its a personal insult to them if we like Kyle, Guy, or John better. Heck these days with JSA being such a great title I'm sure there are plenty who hold Alan as their favorite.

Personally yeah, I'm a Kyle fan, I started reading GL when I was 11 years old, which is right around the Death of Superman, meaning yeah I was there when Hal went nuts and I was there for Kyle's introduction. For a good part of my life Kyle was Green Lantern, and I was a Green Lantern fan. I like him he appeals to me. I wont say he's the best Green Lantern, the most qualified, the greatest, what a Green Lantern should be. I however grew up with him and I like his character, I like his flaws, I like the mistakes he made, I like that he's not the best.

I also like that no matter what he faced, from New Gods, Imps from the 5th Dimension, Subconscious manifestations of his dark side, Hellish Introspectives, and the Greatest Green Lantern In Existence Gone Evil... he didn't give up. He didn't quit, even when Supes, and The Flash (remember Wally started out not liking Kyle) and everyone said he wasn't Green Lantern, he fought the good fight. He won.

Hal probably could have done a better job, sure. I'm not arguing that. Yet Kyle has trained under Alan, Martian Manhunter, Donna Troy (in hand to hand combat), and the War God Orion. He has fought the armies of Apocalypse and faced Darkseid, he gave his life for the JLA and lived for 3,000 years as nothing but a ring construct (JLA: Obsidian Age), he's had and given up the powers of a God because it was the right thing to do.

He is a hero.

I like Kyle. You know what I also like Hal. I also like Guy, John, Alan, Kilowog, G'nort, Ch'p, Jack T. Chance, Ash, Mogo, Arisia, Tomar-Re... etc etc.

Even if you dislike Kyle, even if its for more reasons than the editorial mandate Hal twisting, that's fine. Please, stop telling us we're somehow wrong or less of fans because we don't like the same GL you do. I've never hated Hal... but I've come across more than one Hal fan that have angered me, simply from the hate they direct towards me for my enjoyment of a fictional character they don't like.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:22 PM   #18
Cephied Variable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nived View Post
You know this does get to me after awhile. Many Hal fans when they tout the praises of Hal always go on about him in such a way that having any other Green Lantern as a favorite is somehow an inferior choice.
Mmm, I see where you're coming from, although I don't think Guy, John and Alan fans get nearly the slack that Kyle fans do (Liking Alan makes you distinguished; liking John makes you "old school" or something *shrug*; liking Guy makes you... awesome because you like Guy, who is also awesome), but there IS that general attitude of: "Hal is the one and only, the best, irreplaceable ect. ect." which strikes me as a little odd considering the GL concept is FAAAR from a singular thing. It's always worked best (IMHO) when there's more than one of them (I mean, in general, when the presence of the Corps is felt).
Old 07-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #19
Green_Lantern #052

Kyle Rayner imo
Like Nived I grew up reading him (when I could get away from my parents long enough, damn conservatives :P ) and what really appeals to me is this senario:

Congratulations! You have just inherited millenia and millenia of history and tradition, history, and honor as one of the greatest universal organizations in the entire history of the universe!! Oh and by the way, your the last of your kind with no way to train you, no real way to guide you and well if you turn evil, or die, or something comic booky happens to you, the Green Lantern Corps is perma-screwed! Good Luck and please for the love of god don't screw up.

I mean, thats a lot of baggage to carry with you. Knowing that your the last of something and if you mess up, game over. (Honesty I've never seen Hal Jordan have this much weight on his shoulders). The prospect that Kyle Rayner will most likely fail, but against all odds, he overcomes a lot of shit that a normal person would just throw in the towel (3 Girlfriends die, 1 resurrected, mom dies, and has numerous enemies, obtained god hood and gave it up to save his humanity, just because he, in the end IS a Green Lantern) Hell for me its inspirational to see someone like him get knocked to his feet, only to get up again and try. That is the one trait that truly defines this character
Old 07-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #20
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Oh come now. While I think retconning away the drunk driving was unecessary, I don't think Hal has been shined up to quite THAT degree. I think there is a big difference between saying that Hal is no longer responsible for mass-murder and the destruction of the universe, and saying that he has been scrubbed clean of any and all errors, ever. I've never destroyed the universe, either. Does that mean I'M portraying myself as perfect?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #21
HalFingJordan

Hal is the best there is, the best there ever was and the best there ever will be....and that's the only reason I need to give.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:42 PM   #22
PowerRingE3

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...read.php?t=567
^
Respect Guy...
Old 09-04-2007, 03:09 AM   #23
emarld warrior

Number one will always be Hal to me. I am a product of the Siver Age and have a fondness for all those characters.

Saying that, I really like what is happenning with all the characters today and only hope that Kyle doesn't get lost in all the green lanterns when he stops being Ion and just becomes another lantern.
Hal has his own title
Looks like John will be the League GL
Guy has his place in the GL Corps
So please find a place for Kyle past his stint with Donna and Jason
Old 09-04-2007, 03:11 AM   #24
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarld warrior View Post
Looks like John will be the League GL
Looks like he will be one of the League GLs. We know that John and Hal will be doing rotating shifts in the JLA.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:46 AM   #25
emarld warrior

Quote:
Looks like he will be one of the League GLs. We know that John and Hal will be doing rotating shifts in the JLA.
That's good to hear. I thought the new direction of the league was headed in the direction of the animated series. I've waited along time for hal to come back to the league. I am glad he is sticking around. Now hopefully Kyle will be brought into the monthly Corps title. He and Guy would play off each other great.