The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Ask the Mods/Site/Forum Help
FLASHCHAT

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

Send a message via Skype™ to Quaker
Default Can we do something about the idiotic threads?

I know that I'm not alone in saying that there has been a large amount of idiotic and flat out dumb threads and posts in General and Qward lately. Is there someway we can put end to this? I don't want to name names, but I feel that these people need to stop.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Nite Owl
Banned

There are always stupid threads in Qward... thats why they're in Qward.

And I think you need to relax... don't do it... when you want to go to it.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Send a message via AIM to Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Owl View Post

really man enough is enough, the above person asked a valid question
Old 06-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Nite Owl
Banned

And I gave a valid response... both instances were true.
Qward is full of stupid threads and he needs to relax...

.. and so do you, apparently.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
lokeinlyesmith

I don't think the OP is wrong is asking this. But I do agree with Nite Owl, those threads are in their appropriate places. In a forum like this, there WILL BE stupid threads. Be thankful their not in the middle of 'specific subject' threads.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Nite Owl
Banned

Word
Old 06-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeinlyesmith View Post
I don't think the OP is wrong is asking this. But I do agree with Nite Owl, those threads are in their appropriate places. In a forum like this, there WILL BE stupid threads. Be thankful their not in the middle of 'specific subject' threads.
you mean threads about taking a piss should be in general? Good to know for future reference.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
lokeinlyesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
you mean threads about taking a piss should be in general? Good to know for future reference.
Fits the forum definition. It's not, arguably, contreversal. It's not about GL. Everything else goes in General. That's what a general forum is for. The generic stuff. Like taking a piss.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #9
lokeinlyesmith

General forum to discuss what's going on with you, in the entertainment world, or whatever happens to be on your mind.

edit: for emphasis.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #10
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Send a message via AIM to Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeinlyesmith View Post
General forum to discuss what's going on with you, in the entertainment world, or whatever happens to be on your mind.

edit: for emphasis.
obviously not everything, probably the reason for a certain topic getting locked in the gen forum
Old 06-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #11
Nite Owl
Banned

I'm offended that your offended... go to Qward.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
BLUELCMISHRA
Supreme Dalek Overlord

How about doing something about idiotic posters? I used to mod at Animekingdom.net and if we saw one line pointless topics, forums we'd initiate bans and account cancellations!

Old 06-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #13
lokeinlyesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUELCMISHRA View Post
How about doing something about idiotic posters? I used to mod at Animekingdom.net and if we saw one line pointless topics, forums we'd initiate bans and account cancellations!
Okay, here's an honest question.

Why?

Why does it bother you guys so much? Yeah, it's dumb. Yeah, you have to kinda filter through them. But you could also just block those posters instead of them being banned. I'm not trying to big combative here, I just really don't understand why it's such a BIG deal to some people.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

You can't block threads. They will still appear. Its just annoying to see these random topics filling up the pages. We have a Games & Humor section where you can be as silly as you want, a Qward section where you can be as serious as you want so why not let General be the bridge between the two? And that's not possible when its cluttered with asinine topics.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #15
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

Quote:

You're not a mod, so the question wasn't addressed to you.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #16
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:

no disreaspect but your not a mod anymore. as for metallicorps not wanting to name names i bet im on his list and if so just admit it.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #17
BLUELCMISHRA
Supreme Dalek Overlord

No i know i'm not but it got out of hand stupid posts took up bandwith and it was annoying plus we had streamload accounts and had to make sure they werent just on for free anime.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #18
Nite Owl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalliccorps View Post
You're not a mod, so the question wasn't addressed to you.
This post is funny because of all the posts here in this thread that aren't made by mods... you single out one of mine to issue an arrogant ass response to. Here's an idea... man up and say "Nite Owl is annoying me," or STFU.

Its no mistery why you started this thread... but you know what? I was online when Andrew, the Admin, first came online after you posted this, and I watched his motions through the forums... he read this thread and did nothing... someone else came along later while I was offline and locked some threads, but for none of them was I even issued a single PM much less a warning... and you know why?

BECAUSE I DIDN'T BREAK ANY RULES!!!

And as such, all I've gotta say to you on this subject now is this: DEAL WITH IT.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #19
Nite Owl
Banned

Quote:
This kind of mentality is a dangerous one becasue then you start issuing bans to people who don't deserve them... your mods get the reputation of being rule nazis, and some people stop posting altogether, which prevents and/or kills some great discussions right out the get go. Not allowing your members to have fun is completely counter-productive in retaining members to have a growing community.

Bottom line... banning people for off topic threads in an off topic forum is STUPID... and such should be kept in Qward.

HAH! Okay... sorry... couldn't resist!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #20
W.West

Quote:

And as such, all I've gotta say to you on this subject now is this: DEAL WITH IT.
No you didn't break any rules but would it kill you to have a bit organization? If you wanna start 30 threads that serve no real topic of discussion why not throw it in the humor section? Don't spam the General section to piss off another member. I don't want single you as the sole creator of annoying threads at all, but since you're here, I'm going to ask you to please try to keep a balance between your topics and their appropriate threads. You said stupid threads belong in Qward. Stupid threads are subjective. You wouldn't like it if the rest of the site called your "piss topic" stupid would you? The thread can provide laughter, which I am assuming the intention for you creating it, but you didn't post in the humor section. And while unorganized threads won't get you warned/banned, you should at the very least WANT the site to look and feel better.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #21
Nite Owl
Banned

I only made one thread that would qualify as pointless, and I didn't as a joke becasue someone mentioned elsewhere that we'd eventually have a "I've got to take a piss" thread... IT WAS A JOKE... and guess what? IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE STUPID! (and yes, it thus belongs in Qward) The other thread I was being a dick in was because it was in direct reference to such a thread as that... and THAT shit was funny... hell, it rounded back to one, and gave me a new catch phrase... it was perfect... and I love that Noobs thread, now and forever... lol.

At any rate, the only other thread I can think of off the top of my head that would qualify that I was posting in yesterday was the "oh, dammit" thread... which is JUST FINE where it is. Putting that in the GH forum would've defeated its purpose entirely, but it seems like there was a couple of people who didn't know what he was talking about and decided to attack him, or rather his thread, so I let my goofy dickery stream into that thread.

Anyway... here's the thing... not all "funny" threads qualify for the GH forum. Like has been argued in this thread already... the GENERAL forum is for "Anything that happens to be on your mind." The "I gotta take a piss thread" would've been POINTLESS in the GH thread... sure its there to be funny, but its NOT a fun and games type thread... its a "anything that happens to be on your mind" kind of thread. So I didn't create anyhting in the wrong place, nor did the guy who started the "oh, dammit" thread.

As for wanting the site to look and feel better... how about this... have the ssite look and feel more invivting to people... and that includes having fun every once in a while... when we have an, oh this guy died thread every day for so long, adn people start getting serious everywhere... you need a bit of FUN to release the tension... thats what I was tryting to do with the Piss thread, given that it was directly inspired by another person's post... it was meant to be the joke thread in the general forum that gave people a comedic release of tensions... instead it pissed off the alrady pissy and this thread was born... proving the NEED for such tomfoolery.

You people are taking the internet TOO DAMN seriously... and you NEED to RELAX!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #22
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

Quote:
This post is funny because of all the posts here in this thread that aren't made by mods... you single out one of mine to issue an arrogant ass response to. Here's an idea... man up and say "Nite Owl is annoying me," or STFU.

Its no mistery why you started this thread... but you know what? I was online when Andrew, the Admin, first came online after you posted this, and I watched his motions through the forums... he read this thread and did nothing... someone else came along later while I was offline and locked some threads, but for none of them was I even issued a single PM much less a warning... and you know why?

Did I say you broke any rules? No, I didn't. I singled you out because you were the only person in the thread that told me that I need to relax when it isn't your place to do so. This thread wasn't even started because of you, or TazzMission, for that matter. Now you should probably STFU though.

If the mods don't do anything about it, it's fine. I'm just trying to the board more enjoyable for myself and others if they feel the same way on the subject. Andrew didn't do anything about it? Oh well. Have fun stalking his activity on the boards though. Good day.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #23
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
No you didn't break any rules but would it kill you to have a bit organization? If you wanna start 30 threads that serve no real topic of discussion why not throw it in the humor section? Don't spam the General section to piss off another member. I don't want single you as the sole creator of annoying threads at all, but since you're here, I'm going to ask you to please try to keep a balance between your topics and their appropriate threads. You said stupid threads belong in Qward. Stupid threads are subjective. You wouldn't like it if the rest of the site called your "piss topic" stupid would you? The thread can provide laughter, which I am assuming the intention for you creating it, but you didn't post in the humor section. And while unorganized threads won't get you warned/banned, you should at the very least WANT the site to look and feel better.

you do know spysmasher is the worst when it comes to posting over 30 threads a day and yet i havent heard one single person complain about it. i think everyones giving owel a hard time when the real annoying person is spysmasher and ethanhunter

Old 06-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #24
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalliccorps View Post
Did I say you broke any rules? No, I didn't. I singled you out because you were the only person in the thread that told me that I need to relax when it isn't your place to do so. This thread wasn't even started because of you, or TazzMission, for that matter. Now you should probably STFU though.

If the mods don't do anything about it, it's fine. I'm just trying to the board more enjoyable for myself and others if they feel the same way on the subject. Andrew didn't do anything about it? Oh well. Have fun stalking his activity on the boards though. Good day.

wow metal for someone who dosent wanna drop names for complaints you sure as hell got a shitty attitude torwards people. if people posting multiple threads is to much for you than you may as hell just get the hell off the forums if your gona whine like a wuss

Last edited by TazzMission; 06-02-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #25
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
wow metal for someone who dosent wanna drop names for complaints you sure as hell got a shitty attitude torwards people. if people posting multiple threads is to much for you than you may as hell just get the fuck off the forums if your gona whine like a wuss
I said the topic wasn't about you, so I don't see why you're complaining about me. The topic wasn't about Owl either, but he told me I need to relax and to stfu so I felt it was uncalled for. I try to be as nice as possible on these boards, so I don't see how I have a shitty attitude towards people. My last post may have only been the second or third time I've actually told someone to stfu up on the boards.