The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0
View Poll Results: Do you feel your enthusiasm in Green Lantern has waned?
Yes 26 59.09%
No 18 40.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default Do you feel Green Lantern enthusiasm has waned?

I mean since all the hubbub with Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, the GL movie and all that... and sure there's a new GL cartoon out there and four monthly GL books on shelves... but do you feel for yourself that your own enthusiasm and interest in GL has somehow noticeably waned in the midst of all of these things?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
LordAtrocitus
Green Lantern Initiate

Yes definitely. The movie was pretty cool and it got people excited for a while...but they didn't really catch on too much.

That being said the New 52 are doing pretty well and to my knowledge the GL comic series is still strong...just not like it was in its prime.

Into philosophy? Religion? Politics? Comics? Games? Wanna discuss these things/see reviews? Comment on previous posts! Visit my blogs! http://btucker9.blogspot.com/ http://bulletlantern.blogspot.com/
LordAtrocitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Mine dropped completely after Boringest Night. Never seen the movie and don't really plan to.

Didn't pick up anything GL-related until the New 52 started. The new GL title has me interested again.

I have no interest in the other three titles though.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
fearless2814.1
Agent Orange

I think so. Mine, personally, hasn't waned to the level of "I'm sick and tired of this shit. Dropped." But it has dimmed just a little bit, which is a shame considering how much of a fan I was when I first started reading the series.

I didn't see the movie, not sure if I want to lest I succumb to The Last Airbender Syndrome (I didn't see that one, either). I am, however, picking up all GL-related titles at the moment, so... I'll let that speak for itself.
fearless2814.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:23 AM   #5
Space Cop
The Dandy

I think buzz has died.

For myself, I may have lost some of my excitement at Johns' writing since say SC war, but I feel like more of a GL fan than ever (due in large part to my more active involvement in this board over the last couple of years).
Old 12-25-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
LordAtrocitus
Green Lantern Initiate

The board does help a lot.

Into philosophy? Religion? Politics? Comics? Games? Wanna discuss these things/see reviews? Comment on previous posts! Visit my blogs! http://btucker9.blogspot.com/ http://bulletlantern.blogspot.com/
LordAtrocitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
Hypo
Smallville

Send a message via AIM to Hypo

I'm not sure it's so much waned as the quality of the product has dropped. BN had some good parts, but to me they were few and far between and everything post-BN was rather so-so to down right bad in my eyes. With the relaunch however Johns is doing good things with GL once again, so I'm back on board, but all the other titles (GLC, NG, RL) didn't do anything for me at all. Honestly though, GL was never my favorite book/character/whatever so going from GL+GLC to just GL isn't that big of a deal.

Oh and I thought the movie blew.
Hypo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
Nowen
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
For myself, I may have lost some of my excitement at Johns' writing since say SC war, but I feel like more of a GL fan than ever (due in large part to my more active involvement in this board over the last couple of years).
I think this about sums it up for me.

Sig by Zander Yurami
Nowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:58 AM   #9
Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Iggy

Yes it has a lot of it's theme, during and after SCW everyone who read comics was reading Green Lantern (at least) and ranting and raving about it. The same could be said about Captain America issues #25-47? Things fade in and out, it happens.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
Evergreen City
Parallax Host

Not in my back yard. Lanterns rule.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #11
Big Daddy Dave
Knows Where Whores Go

Green Lantern always has and always WILL be my first and biggest love in comics. The day I lose interest in GL completely is the day I walk away from the hobby.

So while I haven't lost TOO much interest, the glow I was in reliving my childhood during GL: Rebirth has waned quite a bit. That time was AMAZING. I hadn't enjoyed GL that much since I was the magical age of 12 and Hal Jordan and the GL mythos made me a fan for life. I still keep up with all the comics, trades, hardcovers, reprints, etc...but I am burned the fuck out on buying toys, statues, and other merchandise. It was just too much and now I have a roomfull of shit I can't even display well enough to enjoy looking at. That was a big part of it.

Event fatigue is another. After Brightest Day and Blackest Night, I'm really not in the mood for DC's bullshit events. The main story isn't good enough to not collapse under its own weight, and all the umpteen million spinoff books are fucking terrible. I didn't enjoy Flashpoint at all, and a lot of that had to do with how shitty the last two events turned out. Too bad because the Flash is my second favorite character.

As for the books...I'm rather enjoying GL. Much more than I thought I was going to enjoy the current direction. GLC so far is passable, but not nearly as good as when Tomasi and Gleason were a team. The other two books are dogshit. The animated one is cute, or will be when it gets going again.

I guess as long as I can be allowed to enjoy the main title I'm okay. And it's still a million times better than anything in volume 3, so there's always THAT. Better Hal be a costar in his own book than an occasional villain.

"Edd, fetch me a block."

Big Daddy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
DocLantern
Banned

A bit, with Hal being a co-star and non-lantern villians (in the main book) being all but forgotten. Still love GL, but I'd welcome a new writer (no GJ bashing....just like a change).
DocLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:41 AM   #13
Zander Yurami
Fear is Power

I guess I am the 1% on this subject.

I LOVED both Blackest Night and the movie. Brightest Day on the other hand...pass
*shurgs*

My love for GL has done nothing but grow
Old 12-26-2011, 04:40 AM   #14
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

While I love the characters and the movie, and so on.. I am dropping all comics before February...my 6 year cycle has come to an end
Superlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:23 AM   #15
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah since the movie came around and tanked. The cartoon series hasn't started yet (don't know how it will turn out when all is said and done), and GL is only doing okay numbers, I would say the hype is dying down.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #16
Gl Josh
Senior Corps Member

I think from Rebirth to SCW was amazing, Prelude to Blackest Night was pretty good, I loved Blackest Night (it felt like a huge storyline), Brightest Day felt like it was laying some ground work that went nowhere, BD proper had some great moments (Deadman/Dove, Deathstorm, even the Hawk/Sapphire battle) and some poor moments (Aquawar, Hawk, Swamp Thing) complete with a horrid follow-up The Search for Swamp Thing. Brightest Day really hurt things (why give Lobo a Red ring and do NOTHING with it?), with the exception of The Butcher issue. War of the GLs felt like a decent way to end the volume, I still think that Hal should have the GL gauntlet, that item is just to fantastic to ignore. The current run of titles is decent, I rank them GL/NG/RL/GLC. However, I have no desire to read any other DCnU titles.
Originally Posted by BatmanofSector2814 View Post
I have yet to see Avatar, mainly because it is the plot of Pocahontas wrapped in a "Halo vs World of Warcraft" flavored, CGI heavy shell...and I've already seen Pocahontas and played all 5 Halos...so....
Gl Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #17
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlantern View Post
While I love the characters and the movie, and so on.. I am dropping all comics before February...my 6 year cycle has come to an end
you'll be back, THEY ALWAYS COME BACK

anyway i wish there was a 3rd option in the poll, cause i feel the enthusiasm is only somewhat waned

IonFan says

Quote:
Yeah I get that your mad but ignoring the facts and burning down your own city won't help/change things
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #18
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

i love the comics and enjoyed blackest night for what it was when it came to the 8 books .

the movie however honestly i have no urge to watch it again and it pains me to say that.

i dropped brightest day and honestly i like the new direction its going currently
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:27 AM   #19
Emperor Aquaman
Guy's Drinking Buddy

i love, love, love GL and will till i'm 6 feet under. He's one of my most fave characters of all time. But, as with anything else in this world, too much of something, even if it's good, is always bad.

Biggest problem i see, is that DC is trying to put out as many GL themed stuff out there as they can, but they're not really caring about the quality of it. The GL movie sucked ass, Red Lanterns is weak, New Guardians is just one big pile of sh!t, Corps is nothing new or special and Geoff Johns is running on fumes with his GL run. With the exception of the Animated series (and including the movie's toy line) everything GL centric DC/WB is putting out there is pure crap. And that waters down a character's appeal.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:29 AM   #20
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

My enthusiasm is still very high. Not as high as it was after Sin Corps War, but I lost touch with GL while that went on and was TOTALLY blown away as I caught up.

I liked Blackest Night and the GL War. Brightest Day not so much, but that was, at best, only a tangent to GL.

So far I'm really liking the stories. And it helps that GL hasn't been reset with the rest of the DCU.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #21
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Absolutely not.

Even though the movie was expectedly ho-hum and the Brightest day sucked ass, I always have the action figures to keep my enthusiasm level sky-high... and I'm not talking about those hideously ugly Movie Masters figures.

If I ever felt the need for a recharge, I could always go back and re-read Rebirth, SC war and the beginning to the middle of Blackest Night. In addition, the current GL storylines aren't too shabby so my interest level has maintained a steady pace.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #22
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Somewhat, yes. I'm a big fan of Green Lantern, and remain so, but I'm not liking the direction this is going with Sinestro, and am discouraged by the news that it IS going to continue long term.

On the other hand, I'm pretty excited that we are FINALLY getting another GL Archive in 2012. Here's hoping they are planning to release two more after it pretty quickly...
Old 12-28-2011, 12:22 AM   #23
Big Daddy Dave
Knows Where Whores Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent_asassin View Post
Absolutely not.

Even though the movie was expectedly ho-hum and the Brightest day sucked ass, I always have the action figures to keep my enthusiasm level sky-high... and I'm not talking about those hideously ugly Movie Masters figures.

If I ever felt the need for a recharge, I could always go back and re-read Rebirth, SC war and the beginning to the middle of Blackest Night. In addition, the current GL storylines aren't too shabby so my interest level has maintained a steady pace.
This guy, right here. Now THAT'S a glass half full kind of attitude.

I've got waves of figures still sitting in the case, never mind being out on display. Room REALLY became an issue this year, after the onslought of product I feebly tried to follow around.

Still, I have been enjoying the new volume of the main series. It's better than I thought it would be.

"Edd, fetch me a block."

Old 12-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #24
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

My interest in GL has waned, but so too has my interest in comics. Across the board I don't get the same excitement I used to when going to the comic shop.

I would liken it to a drug/alcohol dependence - when you start, it's great, makes you feel good etc. etc. After a while, you get used to it, it doesn't do what it used to do, but at the same time you would rather have it than not.

In terms of GL specifically, I still enjoy it, but not as much as before. The forum is a prime example - I used to discuss stuff on here regarding GL all the time, I used to write in the Masters RPG, spend hours and hours on the flashchat and all that fun stuff. When I come here now, I rarely discuss GL, don't write anymore, and spend very little time in the FC.

I don't fault the comics 100% though, it's life - things change, people change, hobbies change, motivations change. I'll probably always read comics, but I don't know that "the magic" will ever return.

On a brighter note, one of the clients I work with who is obsessed with me was in an HMV with her worker one day when she ran to the shirt section and started pointing at a Green Lantern shirt - her worker asked her "are you thinking about Sebastian?" (me) and she nodded "yes" which was pretty heart warming. (I used to wear GL shirts to work all the time and draw the symbol all over the place).

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:06 AM   #25
Big Daddy Dave
Knows Where Whores Go

That's kind of nice.

"Edd, fetch me a block."