The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 4
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 4

Old 03-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #1
The_Mad_Dragon
Captain Pervert

Send a message via AIM to The_Mad_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to The_Mad_Dragon
Default Do we really need the Guardians?

I mean, do we really need them to lead the Corps, 'cause lately, they haven't been doing a good job. The killing rule should have been taken away the moment the war was over. And now we got the frikkin' Alpha Lanterns to worry about now.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:54 AM   #2
IonFan
Forum Member

do we really need a Government, a President, the Congress, or even a Mayor, the answer is yes. we need someone to lead us, someone to take charge, to get things done right the 1st time. yes sometimes they F'k up cause sometimes you have to do the wrong things 1st before you can do the right things. was the killing rule wrong, no not in a time of war (and fyi the Sin. Corp are still out there). are the ALs a bad idea, yes and no, we need cops on the inside to get to the bad cops right. could it be that the Guardians are F'king up only in our eye, yes cause we don't know what they know

IonFan says

Quote:
I for one don't give 2 sh!ts about ISIS, we've got 2 oceans and a sh!t-ton of bombs to protect us, they even try to come over here we'll bomb'em back to the stone age. It's time for Russia, China, Africa, and the E.U. to deal with these crazy people, no more US blood for the M.E.
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:59 AM   #3
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

seeing as how the LAST time the GotUs left the GLC to handle their own business resulted in resulted its *1st* major reduction of members, and seeing as how this new Corps is only about a year+ old (in comic time), I dont think it would be safe (for the GLC as well as the universe) to remove the Oans from command now.

granted, I agree w/ya about looking @ the ALs just feeling the need to scream "HEY, tiny blue dumbasses!!! do any of yall remember wat happend with the MANHUNTERS?!?? IDIOTS!!!"....but wat can ya do atm, aside from waiting for things to play out??

/shrug

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:04 AM   #4
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

I've been saying this for the last two months no. Hell NO!! They're bloody useless. In fact, if Lanterns like Hal and Guy etc. actually did what they said, the Universe would be a shit hole right about now. It seems like the only time they accomplish anything good is when they give an order, and someone does the opposite of it.

Not only that, but I'm sick and tired of them. They aren't Guardians anymore than I'm a corporate millionaire.

Side note: In the GLC RPG I'm running, I had the Controllers run the Guardians through the spectrum of emotions, killing one with each emotion. Now only 3 remain, and they are about to take off, leaving 12 Lanterns with the Crimson Mantle of Command to lead in their absence.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:41 AM   #5
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

"Do we really need the Guardians?"

No.
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:00 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

I'd always thought a new Green Lantern Corps would have been just fine with Ganthet as the only Guardian. The minute they resurrected all of them it was like a head-beating-against-wall moment of, "OK, how long until they start unfairly treating GLs and plotting macabre things in secret until they're stopped by the GLs again..." Well, looks like they made it a couple of years, anyway.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:20 AM   #7
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

I agree. Although it was cool when Kyle re-powered the CPB and gave birth to the baby Guardians. It was a nice idea at the time. I enjoyed Ganthet in his father figure role.

I guess now Ganthet is kicking himself for growing the little shits up so soon eh?
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:05 AM   #8
Tazer

Yo.

actually, that wasnt his fault: the Oans decided to force themselves to physical maturation on their own.

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:10 AM   #9
Myth

If it weren't for the Guardians, Parallax might have not have been defeated like he was. The Guardians also helped develop the Corp and led it through it's war with the SC. I think that even though they are making a lot of harsh and sinister decisions as of late that the Corpstill needs them to survive.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:11 AM   #10
The_Mad_Dragon
Captain Pervert

Send a message via AIM to The_Mad_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to The_Mad_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
I agree. Although it was cool when Kyle re-powered the CPB and gave birth to the baby Guardians. It was a nice idea at the time. I enjoyed Ganthet in his father figure role.

I guess now Ganthet is kicking himself for growing the little shits up so soon eh?
I agree. The Guardians should have stayed little, if not just for seeing Ganthet as the proud father figure.

Hell, the only guardians to ever think CLEARLY were Ganthet and Sayd.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:13 AM   #11
The_Mad_Dragon
Captain Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth View Post
If it weren't for the Guardians, Parallax might have not have been defeated like he was. The Guardians also helped develop the Corp and led it through it's war with the SC. I think that even though they are making a lot of harsh and sinister decisions as of late that the Corpstill needs them to survive.
We could just give Salakk their job. God knows he secretly wants the authority to get rid of Guy.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:30 AM   #12
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mad_Dragon View Post
I guess ya never heard of Appa Ali Apsa then, eh??

Tazer

Quote:
Old 03-02-2008, 03:32 AM   #13
The_Mad_Dragon
Captain Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

Tazer
No, I haven't. Sorry.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:26 AM   #14
BuckyBarnes45

Quote:

The guy who went nuts and killed the Priest...then nearly killed Hal, John, and Kyle...and kidnapped all the cities to make the Mosaic isn't my candidate for "clear thinker."

Old 03-02-2008, 05:29 AM   #15
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

That was Appa? I thought that was "The Old Timer"? Or where they the same guy? I don't know .

Edit: wiki cleared it up, same guy.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Last edited by Maverick_GL; 03-02-2008 at 06:14 AM.
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:39 AM   #16
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBarnes45 View Post
The guy who went nuts and killed the Priest...then nearly killed Hal, John, and Kyle...and kidnapped all the cities to make the Mosaic isn't my candidate for "clear thinker."
wow, thats ALL Appa did?

funny, I thought he was also the Oan who risked (and then lost) his immortality for standing up for Hal *against* his fellow brethern, and then spent a number of years helping the emerging races on Maltus grow w/o killing themselves.

hrm......I must be thinking about SOME OTHER Appa then.

Tazer

Quote:

Last edited by Tazer; 03-02-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:59 AM   #17
BuckyBarnes45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_GL View Post
That was Appa? I thought that was "The Old Timer"? Or where they the same guy? I don't know .

Edit: wiki cleared it up, same guy.
Yup.... Appa was called "old timer" as far back as Hard Traveling Heroes. I forget if they told his name back then.

Anyway...he was turned caucassian/Maultan as punishment. Seemed like a nice chap. The Guardians asked him back to Oa when they left the universe in GL v2 #200 (right before the Englehart Earth bound GLC book started)

At the end of the GLC book, the Corp executed Sinestro (in a decent story that made you thikn about the issue of capital punishment) Appa was in teh Central battery when it went blooey...and got turned Blue again.

Then Action Comics Weekly...he's a bit odd, including taking to looking like a biker at one point. Hal meets that Priest red alien. Priest goes back to Oa to help Appa. Priest seemed to be the mentor/Guardian. But James Owsley (who changed his name to Chris PRIEST of all things to make this more confusing) did not continue writing Hal. Gerad Jones did in V3. It started out...with Priest being killed byt Appa. Then the insanity. Then the Mosaic Cities....

Hal had a good plan...he went into the battery pretending he was going to charge off it (as he did in Emerald Dawn). Appa KNEW this plan as he was there the first time. But...Hal FAKED him out and had sent a message to the out of hte Universe GUARDIANS.

They returned...without the Zamorans or any kids.

That's the history.

Now the real question...if they MATED with Zamorans...why did Kyle give some of the Guarians SEX CHANGES as all the pre Kyle Guardians all appear...MALE???
Old 03-02-2008, 07:00 AM   #18
BuckyBarnes45

Quote:
I agree. The Guardians should have stayed little, if not just for seeing Ganthet as the proud father figure.

Hmmm...there was that Guardian in Crisis who gave Guy his ring and battery.

Not that I think Guy is the best GL...but he had the brains to build a small battery that did NOT rely on the central battery. Guy's was a bit unique!

Then Halallax destoryed it....
Old 03-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #19
The_Mad_Dragon
Captain Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBarnes45 View Post
Now the real question...if they MATED with Zamorans...why did Kyle give some of the Guarians SEX CHANGES as all the pre Kyle Guardians all appear...MALE???
I think Kyle did it for the lulz.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #20
EmeraldGamer
Green Lantern

Quote:
Yo.

Tazer
An insane Guardian
Old 03-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #21
lokeinlyesmith

Quote:
I think Kyle did it for the lulz.
Smurf fetish. He got done and went "damn! I forgot the blonde hair!"
Old 03-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #22
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I think, with an organization as large as the GLC is, and where the members wield SO much power, and there is SUCH a big potential for abuse, then yes, we do need Guardians. I think it would be a recipe for disaster to NOT have somebody in that role.

Now the current Guardians SEEM to be making quite a few mistakes, so it may be an open question as to whether we want THEM in that role, but SOMEBODY has to take it, IMHO, and whoever it is has to posess the power and wisdom to pull it off.

If we've got nobody doing that job, I think the GLC would need to go away, too. You can't safely have several thousand GL rings roaming the galaxy with no central authority, IMHO. It would be an accident waiting to happen. A BIG accident.