Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Fan Works
FLASHCHAT

About Us

Old 11-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

Send a message via MSN to methos Send a message via Skype™ to methos
Default 3D editing... egads!!!

Ok, as most of you know, last year some time i decided to try my had at 3D editing... now for the most this came out a complete disaster...

so, being older, wiser and possibly slightly crazier now... i decided to take another pass at it to see if i could successfully make the jump from 2D editing, to 3D editing... oh the pain...

anyway, for my first 'dip' into the world of 3D, i decided to work with a character i was pretty familier with... Lara Croft...

I'd been working on a project for a 3D lara desktop of her walking out of a jungle river... so i figured i'd wander on here and show you what i've got so far and some steps through...

ok, this is my first wire mesh... don't laugh too hard, i know it's a mess, but i learnt a lot from this pose and figured out how to improve what i did wrong...

ok, a texture over the wireframe in basic white gives me some idea of what the model will actually look like when finished... and lets me know that there are a few problems with it...

Add color and texture... yes, i know she's bald... hair is the last thing i work on, it's too fiddly... so we add the color and texture for everything and pray for devine guidence... it failed...

yup, wtf is going on with her arm... yet another thing to fix... a final passover adds more texture, lighting and shadow so you can get an idea of how the final product will look...

So, that's my first Lara model... yes, it's a mess... so many things need fixing on it and i hadn't even got to the complecated bits of the hair and equipment yet... egads!!!

right... lets start again and take it a bit slower...

ok, having learnt quite a lot from my first pass... i decided today to take a second look at the Lara model... so i decided to work a bit simpler this time and try and make the clothes a bit more tomb rader'ish, use a pose i know from Tomb Raider and add the usual equipment...

now that was painful, after going through some of the TR: Legend Files though, i finally found what i needed and used them as a basis to create my own wire meshes for my Lara...

yeah... it's a real mess... it gets better though, i promise...

Ok, once i was (Reasonably) happy with the wire mesh frame, i started work on the basic textures. first working in plain white so i could get a feel for it and see where the clothes and skin would lay incase i needed to go back to the wire frame and edit some mistakes out (yeah.... i went back about a dozen times )

once i was happy with how the flat shade was doing, i started to add light and shadow onto the texture to check where everything would be lit from... this brought the model properly into 3D and allowed me to make the neccesary changes to the textures to make it more lifelike...

:edit: sorry the glasses are in black, i was working on that part of the model at the time and it highlighted them when i took the screencap... Doh!

Once the shadow and lighting was done... and after many, many mugs of coffee and cigarettes later... i was finally ready to add the color.... for this test i decided to sort of blend Lara and the Doppleganger together to give her a slightly darker look that i was familier with from Underworld...

Soi the color's went on nicely over the shadow and lighting, muting them slightly but letting the texture and color really come through...

ok, looking at the second render i know i really need to work on the hair some more and bring the shade down from red slightly... and change the hotpants from leather...

but overall i'm happier with the second render than the first, looking back at some of my 3D work from last year, i can see where i've definitely improved, mainly in the areas of texturing and shading (for which the PNG texture files were done in photoshop )

M
Old 11-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Looks way beyond me.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

I know this may sound a bit weird, but great job on the cheekbones. It reminds me of Jolie...who unfortunately will always be Lara Croft to me now.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

thanks West...

once you get the hang of figuring out the wire mesh, the rest of it is actually pretty simple editing to change the pose and the textures....

now i have a lovely female mesh made up, i can quite happily change the pose and textures any time i want to make a variaty of different characters

M
Old 11-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Megaverse
Corpse Trainee

Maya,softimage and 3ds were always hard for me too. I feel your frustration but you are doing real good, keep it up.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

ok, test three...

the pose was a lot easier to do this time as i already had the full wire mesh at hand, it only left me a bit of editing to do to get the final pose i wanted... this time though i decided to do more of a 'classic' Lara costume in opposition to the Legend/Underworld costumes i was working with before...

the basic flat shading actually went on a treat... really happy with it...

Adding a flat color ontop of the shading and bringing the lighting and shadow back really brought the render to life, i went back a bit at this stage and edited the wireframe a bit as she looked a bit 'flat' to me...

After the shading and lighting were added and i was happy with them, i ran the textures over and retested everything to make sure it was all good...

finally happy with everything i clicked the 'render' button and went for a mug of coffee while i prayed for it to come out alright lol

so this is my third pass at Lara Croft... a lot better than my last two, the nose should look a lot better and the more 'classic' look feels a lot better... it still feels like Dopplehoe invaded the classic games though lol

M
Old 11-30-2008, 04:02 AM   #7
Rayner.2814.4
Hal's Understudy

Great progress, Methos!

I've actually have been trying to work with Maya, and Lightwave. Both difficult to learn, but I'm trying my best in trying to stick with them, and seeing the improvement from your work has given me new resolve.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:50 AM   #8
Kyle Rayner
Hal's Understudy

These are very nice

Do you do comissions?

I make kyle rayner rings... contact me for pics and pricing info

draft picks:
1. Terminator T-800 (Indy/Dark Horse)
2. Unicron (Indy/IDW)
3. Ultron (Marvel)
4. Metallo (DC)
5. Freddy Krueger
Kyle Rayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:07 AM   #9
Mycroft
unable to translate

AMAZING
Old 12-04-2008, 03:53 AM   #10
GLC2814.4

Dude those are amazing! Can't wait to see more. I tried to play with 3DS when I was big into Star Trek ship meshes, and I learned how to break other peoples meshes pretty well.

Kudos!
Old 12-04-2008, 04:28 AM   #11
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Next Project: Wally West...right??????!!!!!!!