The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 4
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 4

Old 05-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
Parrylakks
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Parrylakks
Default Prelude to Blackest Night sum up...

As you all know, I don't read GL or GLC anymore... why? Well, you know why.

But there's is something to be said about an event like Blackest Night... and I will be getting it... all of it... so, here I would like to ask you to please sum up the events in GL and GLC post SCW for me, so that I am not lost as the Blackest Night begins.

It will be much appreciated.

Parrylakks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

-Sinestro is Natus dad.

-There are Blue Lanterns that run on hope and require a GL's presence nearby

-There are Red Lanterns that run on anger and most of them want to kill Sinestro

-Mongul and Sinestro basically split the Sin Corps in half...separate factions,separate agendas

-As of right now, Hal Jordan has both a blue lantern ring and green lantern ring.

-The Star Sapphires can "reboot" a person into love rather than fear.

-Fatality has forgiven John. Guy is apparently not fan of the Walt Disney Emotional Spectrum

-Kyle and Natu are officially a couple, continuing his streak of hot colored (alien)women.

-The Guardians have made some new laws. No love within the Corps is the most important(imo).

-Scar bleeds black tears and apparently no one knows.

-Carol is Star Sapphire.

-Many Sinestro Corps members have escaped from their cells.

-Sodom Yat just flew into the sun, most likely to make it yellow so his people can kick ass.

-At some point, Hal returns to Earth and talks to Barry Allen multiple times.

-Mongul has one eye. Bzzd is dead.

I think thats it.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
Parrylakks
Banned

Thanks... but it really sucks that Bzzd is dead.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
SFH

Also some other things that were forgotten:

-Larfleeze is the only living person among the Orange Lantern Corps. Everyone else is an orange light avatar of people he killed.

-Black Central Battery located on Ryut in Sector 666.

-Zamarons have several female Sinestros in crystals trying fill their hearts with love. Nine in ten think this will not work out well...

-Still no concrete information on who the Guardian of Death is going to be. Scar's dialogue indicates that it's male, so Lady Styx is out.

-Indigo Tribe has yet to appear. The boss is a lady also named Indigo. Ganthet is searching for them to form a united front with them and the Green Lanterns against the Black. No word on if the Star Sapphires will be invited.

-Scar also has a giant Book of the Black hidden in the bowels of Oa.

-Blue Lantern rings can override Red Lantern rings, drain Qwardian rings, not be drained by Orange Lantern rings, and strengthen Green Lantern rings.

-The Guardians of the Universe are increasingly becoming too stupid to live.

I think between W. West and I we got everything.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Parrylakks
Banned

Sweet, thanks.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
ion.nai
existential absurdist

Send a message via MSN to ion.nai

Laira became a Red Lantern and was killed by Sinestro. All happened in front of Jordan.

Blue Lanterns are suggested to make some sort of ultimate sacrifice before they join the corps. There is a cost to their Blueness.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #7
ion.nai
existential absurdist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
As you all know, I don't read GL or GLC anymore... why? Well, you know why.
may i pry? I'm curious.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
lanternut
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via MSN to lanternut

Parry, I think if you where to pick-up the last two to three months of both books they both feel like their back on track and probably in my opinion must read for BN, but that's my opinion...
Old 05-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion.nai View Post
may i pry? I'm curious.
Read Here At Your Own Risk. lol
Old 05-24-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
Larfleeze92
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Read Here At Your Own Risk. lol
well I Like johns Hal and maybe thats because i dont know to much about hal before rebirth.
Larfleeze92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
Parrylakks
Banned

Wow... I just read that whole thing... and its still true... if you ever had a face to face conversation with me about Hal Jordan... I love him... up until I get to Rebirth, and then I turn into a bitching SOB, lol. You could ask anyone I've talked about comics with in person more than just in passing. Its obviously there. I'm still a GL fan, through and through... I just loathe what v4 has done with MY hero... and thus, Green Arrow is CURRENTLY my favorite hero, closely followed by Red Arrow.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #12
ion.nai
existential absurdist

Quote:
Wow... I just read that whole thing... and its still true... if you ever had a face to face conversation with me about Hal Jordan... I love him... up until I get to Rebirth, and then I turn into a bitching SOB, lol. You could ask anyone I've talked about comics with in person more than just in passing. Its obviously there. I'm still a GL fan, through and through... I just loathe what v4 has done with MY hero... and thus, Green Arrow is CURRENTLY my favorite hero, closely followed by Red Arrow.
I completely agree with the majority of what you say. I however think that Geoff Johns is a crap writer. This is not to say that he has not churned out some decent work, I just feel that in general he is a bad writer. His treatment of Hal does not respect the great mythos and history that already exists within the character. He is doing the exact same thing right now with Barry Allen. I will never drop GL as a book... never have, never will... I just can't wait for the reigns to be passed on. You really should consider picking up GLC. I think that Tomasi handles the characters extremely well and is setting up some great books for TBN.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #13
The_Mad_Dragon
Captain Pervert

Send a message via AIM to The_Mad_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to The_Mad_Dragon

Quote:
And yet... you mod.... on a GLC forum....
Old 05-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
W.West

Quote:
I completely agree with the majority of what you say. I however think that Geoff Johns is a crap writer. This is not to say that he has not churned out some decent work, I just feel that in general he is a bad writer. His treatment of Hal does not respect the great mythos and history that already exists within the character. He is doing the exact same thing right now with Barry Allen. I will never drop GL as a book... never have, never will... I just can't wait for the reigns to be passed on. You really should consider picking up GLC. I think that Tomasi handles the characters extremely well and is setting up some great books for TBN.
The 180 he's doing with Barry Allen is apart of the story. Hopefully seeing this kind of Barry will be worth in the end.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #15
ion.nai
existential absurdist

Quote:
The 180 he's doing with Barry Allen is apart of the story. Hopefully seeing this kind of Barry will be worth in the end.
Well, at this point I can't be bothered to pick up the rest of Flash:Rebirth until i've heard from a reliable source (such as yourself) that it is worthwhile. The first 2 issues did absolutely nothing to interest me. Plus what bugs me the most is why bring Barry back? His death was legendary, and Wally West is already an amazing Flash. Sometimes it's better to let sleeping dogs alone.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #16
ion.nai
existential absurdist

apologies for derailing this thread.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #17
DougG_ATL
Senior Corps Member

Quote:
I however think that Geoff Johns is a crap writer. This is not to say that he has not churned out some decent work, I just feel that in general he is a bad writer.
Geoff Johns is probably more responsible for bringing in new fans to the DC Universe than anyone else at the company over the past several years. I think his writing is fantastic; he expands on DC lore without being anchored by it. Retconning the nature of Parallax didn't expunge what Hal did during that time, nor during his time as the host of The Spectre. If anything, it requires him to be the bigger hero in spite of what other Corpsmen thought of him.

For everyone like Parryllax and yourself that are turned off by his developments to GL, there are probably 3-5 new readers like me for which Rebirth ignited new interest in the mythos.
DougG_ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:07 PM   #18
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

Send a message via MSN to methos Send a message via Skype™ to methos

nuce sumup guys...

and for the record, i stand with Pary on this issue, only i have only dropped GL and am still reading GLC

M
Old 05-24-2009, 11:32 PM   #19
W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougG_ATL View Post
Geoff Johns is probably more responsible for bringing in new fans to the DC Universe than anyone else at the company over the past several years. I think his writing is fantastic; he expands on DC lore without being anchored by it. Retconning the nature of Parallax didn't expunge what Hal did during that time, nor during his time as the host of The Spectre. If anything, it requires him to be the bigger hero in spite of what other Corpsmen thought of him.

For everyone like Parryllax and yourself that are turned off by his developments to GL, there are probably 3-5 new readers like me for which Rebirth ignited new interest in the mythos.
New readers do not equate to the writer's skill.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:55 PM   #20
ion.nai
existential absurdist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougG_ATL View Post
This is awesome, I love seeing more and more folks read GL. But... There are other ways to attract new readers. Johns has taken away aspects of Hal that a lot of old readers enjoyed. What bugs me above all else is that Johns has no respect for past events. He is literally like Parallax in Zero Hour trying to go back and fix the time line as he sees fit. Hal Jordan is already an extremely strong character. What is wrong with writing a story that doesn't some how erase, ignore, or retcon past events? This is what makes Johns crappy to me. I find it disrespectful to the character.
His Hal is like New Coke. an ok replacement that attracts attention, but anyone who liked the original would rather have the taste that they loved.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:18 AM   #21
joeylavoie

I've read all the GL Prelude issues, none of the GLC ones. Is that an issue? Because I pretty knew everything in the sum up posts..
Old 05-25-2009, 12:21 AM   #22
W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeylavoie View Post
I've read all the GL Prelude issues, none of the GLC ones. Is that an issue? Because I pretty knew everything in the sum up posts..
Its not an issue if you keep up with GLC without reading it. You'll probably be able to understand Blackest Night by reading it and the GL title but for a more vast story, you'll probably want to pick up GLC and Tales of the Corps before any of the other tie-ins.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:41 AM   #23
joeylavoie

I think I'll start buying GLC when Blackest Night begins...I probably won't pick any GLC stuff up before that tho....WAAAY too much to read already
Old 05-25-2009, 02:45 AM   #24
JStew

Quote:
New readers do not equate to the writer's skill.

Im with Doug on this one. Im strictly a Marvel reader that has jumped on board GL since Sinestro Corps War. I don't read individual issues but collect the HCs. I don't read anything else but have loved what johns is doing on GL.

I can respect how people feel about their favorite characters mythos and history being respected.

New readers don't equate to a writer's skill? On a technical level, you are probably right. Im not here to argue whether Geoff Johns is a bad, good or great writer. I haven't followed his whole body of work to make a great argument on this.

But a good writer attracts readers and that I can say GJohns has done.

JStew
Old 05-25-2009, 03:19 AM   #25
Larfleeze92
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeylavoie View Post
I think I'll start buying GLC when Blackest Night begins...I probably won't pick any GLC stuff up before that tho....WAAAY too much to read already
It would really help if you did read them because its going to be kinda hard to keep up and it will give you a better view of the event
Larfleeze92 is offline   Reply With Quote