The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 01-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Default Warner Brothers Will Make Netflix, and Others Wait Longer For Discs

Thought you guys might be interested in hearing about this. I don't get Netflix, but dad happens to. Also wasn't sure if this would work better in film general.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1189112.html

Want to watch a new movie just out on DVD from Warner Brothers? You're going to have to buy it, or wait even longer to get it from Netflix or other disc renters.

A new deal between Time Warner's movie studio and Netflix, Redbox and Blockbuster will double the "window" for new releases. That means the services will now have to wait 56 days after the discs first go on sale to offer them to their customers, instead of 28 days.

The move is part of Hollywood's ongoing campaign to bolster flagging DVD sales, and sources tell me the new deal is supposed to be announced at next week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Warner Brothers executives have already talked publicly about extending the current window.

This is the second time that Warner has been able to get the rental services to wait before distributing its movies.

In 2010, it struck deals with Netflix, and later Coinstar's Redbox, to wait 28 days before renting its new discs. Coinstar and Netflix later landed similar pacts with most of the other big studios. (Coinstar did up end up in legal battles with Universal Studios and 20th Century Fox, which like this Web site is owned by News Corp.)

Two years ago, Netflix was able to argue that by delaying access to DVDs, it was able to get its hands on more streaming content, and lower prices for the discs it did buy. This time around, though, Warner won't be granting any additional digital rights to the studios. It will simply be offering them the ability to buy discs in bulk, at a significant discount to retail pricing, like they already do.

Earlier today, news broke that HBO, another Time Warner unit, would stop selling its DVDs to Netflix altogether, but sources tell me the two moves aren't directly related. Next week's planned announcement is supposed to be tied to Warner Brothers' continuing push for Ultraviolet, an industry consortium that's supposed to allow home video buyers to watch their purchases on multiple machines, in multiple formats.

Reps for Time Warner, Coinstar, Netflix and Blockbuster parent company Dish Network declined to comment.

I'm not surprised there doing this. I'm sure the reason they didn't bother to talk, is they knew how much of an uproar they would cause. Anyway, I'm positive that Ultraviolet is doomed to fail.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

man, the streaming content wars're REALLY heating up............

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

Send a message via Yahoo to Razorgod Send a message via Skype™ to Razorgod

If it works, I would expect that we'll see more of this kind of shit. Personally, I'll make and not buy any Warner content until the time is up. And if HBO pulls complete netflix support, I'll discontinue ever buying another HBO box set....which won't be hard for me now that Entourage is over.
His endless obsession
With superpositional pussy.
Razorgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

I would expect a boycott.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
The British Lantern
Not A Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

man, the streaming content wars're REALLY heating up............

Tazer
But piracy will always win. :P

Anyway this doesn't effect me I buy all my DVDs I never understood the point or benefits of services like Netflix
Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

Send a message via Yahoo to Razorgod Send a message via Skype™ to Razorgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The British Lantern View Post
I never understood the point or benefits of services like Netflix
It's very advantageous if you have kids and don't want to piss money away on expensive cable or satellite TV services.

Also, if I bought every DVD I watched, I'd have to buy even more shelves, and I've run out of space to put new DVD shelves.
His endless obsession
With superpositional pussy.
Razorgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The British Lantern View Post
Anyway this doesn't effect me I buy all my DVDs I never understood the point or benefits of services like Netflix
I can see it not being for you personally, but seriously you don't even understand the benefit? Don't you ever want to try a movie without buying it? There are no movies that are worth a watch but not a purchase? Do you get that there are people who might feel that way? Anyway, that's the benefit for us Netflixers. They also have the benefit of a much wider selection than any of my local rental places (when they existed) or what's for purchase. I have quite often rented something that I'm glad I saw (so I can talk about it) but do not want to own.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Me, I just use the library, but I can see the advantages of Netflix.

I'm just not willing to pay for them cause I'm cheap. Same reason I don't have cable or satellite.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #9
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

eh i use a site to stream it. and if i like it ill go out and buy it

Thank you fuck you bye
TazzMission is online now   Reply With Quote