The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV
View Poll Results: Which Star Wars Movie is Your Favorite?
Episode I: The Phantom Menace 1 1.11%
Episode II: Attack Of The Clones 1 1.11%
Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith 12 13.33%
Star Wars (aka Episode IV: A New Hope) 11 12.22%
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back 34 37.78%
Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi 31 34.44%
Episode VII: The Force Awakens 0 0%
Episode VIII: The Last Jedi 0 0%
Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker 0 0%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #2401
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Actually, THAT would be reason FOR him to ask the question. If he doesn't ask, that implies that he DID put 2 and 2 together.
i think there was a comic where the emporer mentions luke before esb. i believe it was from those 2 pack figures back in the day.

this is going to drive me nuts now

Thank you fuck you bye
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #2402
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

A new listing has appeared on Amazon for a new Star Wars book, titled Star Wars: Ships of the Fleet and is slated for a June 2nd, 2015 release date. What's most exciting about the book, however, is that it promises to unveil a new ship that will appear in Star Wars Episode VII! According to the description of the book,
"Discover details of all the most well-loved ships from the Star Wars saga in this cool book that folds open to feature each ship, including a brand-new ship from Episode VII.

From the Jedi starfighters to the one and only Millennium Falcon to a soon-to-be-unmasked ship from Episode VII, the best and fastest ships in the Star Wars galaxy are explored in fun detail. Each panel of this unusual book reveals amazing facts and little-known trivia about your favorite ships in the Star Wars fleet. Fold out the pages to witness an epic, 30" x 27" battle scene between the Republic and the Rebellion!"

If I were a betting man, I would gamble that this book will be among, if not the first in a long line of Episode VII tie-in material. What could the new ship be? A new version of the TIE fighter? A new Rebel cruiser? A new snub fighter? All will be revealed June 2nd, 2015.

Star Wars Episode VII hits theaters on December 18th, 2015 and stars Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Daisy Ridley, and John Boyega.

source

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/20...vealed-in.html

Thank you fuck you bye
Old 10-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #2403
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Why bother asking? It seems like there was only one way he could have gotten it. Last time Vader saw that saber, Obi-Wan had just hacked him up. He knew Obi-Wan had been teaching Luke ("Obi-Wan has taught you well"), so I assume he would just figure Obi-Wan gave it to Luke.
Well, we all know that, at least in movies, the villains like to monologue and establish their dominance. I'm sure he figured out where Luke got the saber, (I mean, where else could he have gotten it from?) but you'd think he would ask about it, just to confirm where he got it, while obtaining more information about his son.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #2404
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
Well, we all know that, at least in movies, the villains like to monologue and establish their dominance. I'm sure he figured out where Luke got the saber, (I mean, where else could he have gotten it from?) but you'd think he would ask about it, just to confirm where he got it, while obtaining more information about his son.
I don't disagree about the monologuing, but I think that asking where he got it makes Vader look LESS impressive, since it implies that he couldn't figure it out. Rather than ask, I'd think commenting on it in a way that makes clear that he knows EXACTLY where he got it might be more appropriate. If it weren't for the fact that Episode III didn't exist yet, I'd think maybe Vader should have taken the opportunity to badmouth Obi-Wan, let Luke know how exactly Obi-Wan came by that saber...
Old 10-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #2405
Space Cop
The Dandy

Obviously he didn't ask because he always wanted him to have it.

Or, isn't there the possibility that he did not recognize it? I mean blue light sabers aren't exactly the most unique choice. If he doesn't recognize C3P0, he probably isn't going to spot an eighteen-year-old weapon that looks like most of the others of its type.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:37 PM   #2406
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Obviously he didn't ask because he always wanted him to have it.

Or, isn't there the possibility that he did not recognize it? I mean blue light sabers aren't exactly the most unique choice. If he doesn't recognize C3P0, he probably isn't going to spot an eighteen-year-old weapon that looks like most of the others of its type.
As far as I can tell, every single lightsaber hilt looks different. Don't they supposedly each construct their own?
Old 10-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #2407
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

Quote:
As far as I can tell, every single lightsaber hilt looks different. Don't they supposedly each construct their own?
Yes, they do. At least in every EU book I've read. This prectice goes for both the Jedi and the Sith.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #2408
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Yes, they do. But even at that, it's not like it was radically different in shape and he wasn't holding the thing. He was battling against it and then saw it fall quickly down a long pit.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:43 PM   #2409
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

It's not like it was even the only light saber Vader had owned as a Jedi. One thing I DIDN'T like about the prequels was that Anakin didn't have the same saber through the trilogy. The one Luke ends up with was only the last one Anakin had when Obi Wan took him out. I wanted it to be more meaningful.

Not that that butterfingers Luke didn't lose it anyway of course. Neither of them managed to hold onto them for the long haul.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #2410
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Fun fact: Anakin's lightsaber is used to fight against Luke on Wayland, wielded by his clone, Luuke, created by the evil Jedi Master clone Joruus C'baoth.

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #2411
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Fun fact: Anakin's lightsaber is used to fight against Luke on Wayland, wielded by his clone, Luuke, created by the evil Jedi Master clone Joruus C'baoth.
THAT sounds fucking terrible. And why jettisoning the EU from canon was a necessary and good thing.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:50 PM   #2412
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
THAT sounds fucking terrible. And why jettisoning the EU from canon was a necessary and good thing.
Eh, it does sound pretty dumb when you lay it all out like that, but all I can say is that, as much as I'm not a big EU guy, I honestly did enjoy the Zahn trilogy. It actually felt like Star Wars to me at the time. (Haven't read it in years, though.)

I daresay it would be possible to summarize many events from the actual movies and make them sound equally dumb.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:54 PM   #2413
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

Quote:
It might be established canon, actually. The construction of light sabers, I mean. There was that deleted scene in ROTJ where Luke was making a new one in Kenobi's home shortly before going to have brunch with Jabba.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #2414
Fearless
Agent Orange

Quote:
Not that that butterfingers Luke didn't lose it anyway of course. Neither of them managed to hold onto them for the long haul.

Yeah, that clumsy, ol' Luke! Gettin' the hand that was wielding his lightsaber cut-off by his own father, dropping it down a chasm that emptied into the clouds, sending it plummeting to the planet's surface... I bet Luke's face was so red!

Quote:

Amen, BDD.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:05 PM   #2415
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

last night one of our readers sent us a photo that he claimed was leaked concept art of the villain from Episode VII, which you can view here. Initially this was fairly met with a lot of skepticism, but over the past day, several different independent sources have come out and confirmed that this art is indeed legit.

The first source we stumbled across actually predates this photo being leaked. A member on the Jedi Council Forums named jimjamjim, claiming to have seen a scene from the film, gave a description of a character played by Adam Driver that fits the leaked art.

Driver dressed in all black, sith costume... Light saber was a standard one but with a cross light like on the handle for Drivers

Interestingly, the member went on to also claim that the characters played by Daisy Ridley and John Boyega would face off against Driver's Sith character in a wintry forest with snow falling.

The next source to confirm the legitimacy of the concept art was our friend Jason Ward from Making Star Wars.

Well, the person in the armor is “the” cyborg and that is his armor for battle. In other words, this is the mask the phantom wears to cover his mangled face. His final design is closer to the crusader knight design but with some small variations.

Is the saber the final version? I’ve heard of different variations to it. One version of the new laser sword is like He-Man’s sword. The guard has two lasers that shoot into the main laser blade. I’ve heard of the hilt in the same style as above made of crystal and bone. The takeaway? His lightsaber will be different but probably have a cross guard at the top of the hilt as pictured above.

Now, the masks I have seen are a little different. The one I have seen is on the same background as the Chrome Stormtrooper Indie Revolver released:

I am fairly certain the design I have seen and the Chrome Trooper above are part of the same group of evil dudes.

The mask on what I have seen differs from the Star Wars Underworld mask. The mark is more like a crusader night. Just a shiny red metallic mask with a single visor straight across the front. Basically the red mask is like a helmet with a faceplate and visor that is a thin black line. His lightsaber is red, not orange like some depictions we have seen of bad guys in the past. He looks like Darth Revan mixed with the Emperor’s Royal Guards from the previous six Star Wars films.

The evolution of the character’s art also suggests he is a cyborg. Most of the concepts show a lot of mechanical bits and pieces around the character’s body.

In some pieces around this design, the character has a purple lightsaber. Sometimes two sabers. In one he even appears to have the black lightsaber that Pre Vizsla had in The Clone Wars and eventually became Maul’s weapon of choice.

One of the cooler designs for the helmet had a face plate with a cut out for the mouth like Doctor Doom and just two round holes for the eyes. It was simple and creepy.

So yeah, the concept is real.

Another regular source for Episode VII rumors, Jay Carlson of Indie Revolver, added his two cents to the photo.

I respect their hesitation to claim any authenticity related to the image – it’s nice to see some restraint with Star Wars news on the internet. However, I can confirm that not only is this legitimate production art but that this particular concept made its way through pre-production and into the film. This character and his lightbroadsword have filmed scenes in England.

Finally our friends at Star Wars Episode 7 News chimed in that the image had been confirmed by one of their sources as well.

Actually when I saw this my first thoughts were it’s fake. But later after further examination and the words from one of our sources, I’m not so convinced.

So in conclusion it looks fairly certain that the leaked concept art is definitely authentic.

Sources: Jedi Council Forums, Indie Revolver, Making Star Wars, Star Wars Episode 7 News

Thank you fuck you bye
Old 10-29-2014, 02:32 AM   #2416
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
It might be established canon, actually. The construction of light sabers, I mean. There was that deleted scene in ROTJ where Luke was making a new one in Kenobi's home shortly before going to have brunch with Jabba.
Well, also Vader says "I see you have constructed a new light saber. Your skills are complete." Before I even read any EU (not that I've read much) I assumed that meant making your own saber was some kind of final exam or necessary merit badge so to speak.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:23 AM   #2417
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

Quote:
Well, also Vader says "I see you have constructed a new light saber. Your skills are complete." Before I even read any EU (not that I've read much) I assumed that meant making your own saber was some kind of final exam or necessary merit badge so to speak.
It is. Students have to find their own crystals and pieces to assemble the saber. As a matter of fact, I think my memory is coming back to me-this subject was an episode of the Clone Wars show, which I assume is canon.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #2418
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Not all the EU was trashed. Here are some examples.

Disney has claimed that currently Star Wars Cannon consists of, All 6 Live action movies, Star Wars The Clone Wars animated television series, and now Star Wars Rebels.

Lets see what EU material has been canonized by this.

A obvious mention comes from one of the final episodes (shown on Netflix) of Clone Wars. Yoda on the Sith home world (now renamed Moraband) encounters a Sith ghost who he names as Darth Bane. (It should be mentioned that in the script drafts up until budgeting for the episode Revan would have also appeared as a ghost but was cut for costs) This by admission (or until a clarification or retcon happens) solidifies The Old Republic Era, Up to Bane's final defeat. Which by extension canonizes Revan.

Jedi Aayla Secura who is referenced and seen several times in TCW and made film appearances in Episodes 2 and 3 as a background Jedi but a named one. Originated entirely in the EU from a Dark Horse Comic run. So one can assume those comics are also for now Cannon.

Planets mentioned only in novels like Muunilinst and other have been either referenced in or had Arcs take place on during The Clone Wars series. The same can be said for Dathomir and the Nightsisters. Again EU creations now found directly in cannon. Darth Maul's living past Ep 1 and having a robotic lower half. EU material that was canonized by The Clone Wars.

In the episodes of TCW that took place on Mandalor there were murals all over the bloody place that depict the events of the Mandalorian Wars in which they were defeated by Revan.

I could go on at this for days. But The Clone Wars grounded much of past EU material, it also changed some. But given how much Eu material is cannon, given Disney's declaration that The Clone Wars is 100% cannon. That leaves a huge amount of the EU now cannon as well by inclusion into that series.

Darth_Andrea

Last edited by Darth_Andrea; 10-29-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Darth_Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #2419
Mister Ed

Inclusion of something from an EU source in a canon production does NOT make the entire source canon by extension. It only makes the included element canon. Aayla Secura's presence in the films does not in any way make all the Dark Horse comics that included her canon. Inclusion of a Sith Ghost called Darth Bane does not enter all the Old Republic Era stuff into canon, not unless it was all ALSO mentioned in that episode. It certainly does nothing to solidify Revan in canon unless he was mentioned, too.

I think the best that can be said is that any elements of the EU that are not directly contradicted by established canon still have the POSSIBILITY of popping up in some form. But inclusion of an element that originated in the EU does not "solidify" the existence of anything but that element. Case in point, Coruscant. That was first named and described in Zahn's trilogy, then went on to be used EXTENSIVELY in the filmed canon. Anybody care to lay odds how much of that source material will be confirmed when Episode VII comes out?

Last edited by Mister Ed; 10-29-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #2420
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Andrea View Post
Not all the EU was trashed. Here are some examples. . .
Hey, DA, good to see you. Stick around. All these rookies are getting in without your old tour.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #2421
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
It is. Students have to find their own crystals and pieces to assemble the saber. As a matter of fact, I think my memory is coming back to me-this subject was an episode of the Clone Wars show, which I assume is canon.
I remember that episode. Nearly everything about the Clone Wars was canon: Anakin having a padawan, everything about Ahsoka Tano, Darth Maul surviving along with his brother and their plot to kill Sideous, Obi Wan taking both Maul brothers on, Asajj Ventress...
Old 10-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #2422
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

I haven't posted it in a while and since my fellow brothers have I'll say it again.

Fuck the EU.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:53 PM   #2423
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Quote:
Hey, DA, good to see you. Stick around. All these rookies are getting in without your old tour.
well Don't have much time for tours these days .. 6yr old twin girls takes up enough to leave me exhausted most of the time !^_^!

Darth_Andrea
Old 10-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #2424
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Quote:
Inclusion of something from an EU source in a canon production does NOT make the entire source canon by extension. It only makes the included element canon. Aayla Secura's presence in the films does not in any way make all the Dark Horse comics that included her canon. Inclusion of a Sith Ghost called Darth Bane does not enter all the Old Republic Era stuff into canon, not unless it was all ALSO mentioned in that episode. It certainly does nothing to solidify Revan in canon unless he was mentioned, too.

I think the best that can be said is that any elements of the EU that are not directly contradicted by established canon still have the POSSIBILITY of popping up in some form. But inclusion of an element that originated in the EU does not "solidify" the existence of anything but that element. Case in point, Coruscant. That was first named and described in Zahn's trilogy, then went on to be used EXTENSIVELY in the filmed canon. Anybody care to lay odds how much of that source material will be confirmed when Episode VII comes out?

You are in part correct, However, at least in reference to past EU events, inclusions of elements of them or references to elements of them ground that portion of EU as cannon up until something contradicts it or changes it.

And from rumors of EP 7's plot I think some elements of Post ROTJ EU material may be cannibalized for the movies. If true that won't canonize those EU materials but will create a new cannon that will have EU based elements in them.

I personally have always seen EU materials outside of Old Republic era stories as alternate universe stories. Old Republic however gives the Sith, Jedi and the galaxy as a whole a more fleshed out back story. One that might not be relevant in whole or part to "Modern" era stories but echo through them even if they don't realize it.

Darth_Andrea
Old 10-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #2425
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

It's so dumb to say that the EU isn't canon. Why not just include it and then pick and choose cool shit from it and leave the uncool shit behind? Just handcuffs yourself from interesting ideas and characters that have been established in the minds of fans through DECADES of involvement. Most of those fans know what's fucking cool (Grand Admiral Thrawn) and what isn't fucking cool, so why not listen?

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote