The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV
View Poll Results: Which Star Wars Movie is Your Favorite?
Episode I: The Phantom Menace 1 1.11%
Episode II: Attack Of The Clones 1 1.11%
Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith 12 13.33%
Star Wars (aka Episode IV: A New Hope) 11 12.22%
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back 34 37.78%
Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi 31 34.44%
Episode VII: The Force Awakens 0 0%
Episode VIII: The Last Jedi 0 0%
Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker 0 0%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2015, 08:00 PM   #4151
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I hate the thought of Rey being a clone and/or a virgin birth like Anakin , which some have speculated. Some have also theorized that Rey is the daughter of Han and Leia, and the film is just cherry picking and modifying elements for the Extended Universe.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #4152
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Rey simply HAS to be the daughter of Luke Skywalker. Either his daughter, or Leia's with Han. By all the laws of Star Wars storytelling, she is not simply a new character with no blood ties to any existing character. When they do the closeup on Luke's face at the end, you can see the pain, sadness, and regret. Regret that he left his daughter to try to save her? Regret that she's come into a life he would have saved her from? Sadness that his best friend has been murdered by his nephew and former padawan? Pain over not being able to help save the ones he loves? That last scene said a lot.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #4153
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
As far as Fin fighting Kylo and going toe-to-toe with him, well Finn was training as a child to be a Stormtrooper and as we seen in the trailer, a Stormtrooper had a weapon that could stand up to a lightsaber, giving the impression they were training in fencing in case they came across a Jedi. We've seen in the prequels that non-Force users are trained in Jedi techniques/lightsabers as demonstrated by General Grevious and his robot Guards.
ok, but the problem with that though is Fin got *his ass whooped* by that ST w/Z6 baton, and while granted this is assuming they both had the SAME AMOUNT.....that ST had him on the ropes, w/o having suffered a hit as I recall, and ended up looking far superior in his fight w/Fin than Kylo did (if anything, Fin shouldn't known wat to do/not to do in that fight than his opponent, given the weapon he had.)

and yes, that's allowing for him having been gut-shot by Chewie.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #4154
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

My son is positive they tweaked the sound effects on the lightsabers to make them more powerful sounding. I think he may be right as he has a good ear for these things.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:53 PM   #4155
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

My thoughts on where Rey comes from:

She will be a clone of Luke Skywalker. I don't see her being a daughter to anyone, as that would have been some extreme plot diversion in Episode VII. NO ONE brought up the fact that she was related to someone.

However, being a clone of Luke Skywalker, make sense both in the world of Star Wars, and the fact that she wasn't mentioned as being important by anyone.

END

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
If Rae is Luke's daughter, that means he strayed from the teachings of the Jedi and forged a relationship with someone, much like Anakin with Padme. That would also mean that Luke would no longer be a Jedi... not that there's anyone around to exile him from the order.

The only other explanation would be that Rae was cloned from the DNA of Luke's severed hand in ESB. I'm still wondering how Maz Kanata got a hold of Luke's saber from ESB and how it survived the impact of the fall on the Death Star. Maybe Luke's hand helped to cushion the fall.
Or he built a new one He had a lot of time.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Last edited by JohnnyV; 12-21-2015 at 08:58 PM.
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:00 PM   #4156
Tazer

Yo.

Im still trying to figure out why ppl think they pulled another Anakin w/her....... :/

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #4157
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
But then, why would he build a new blue saber, and then build another green one for RotJ?

Welcome back, by the way.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #4158
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

Im still trying to figure out why ppl think they pulled another Anakin w/her....... :/

Tazer
I surely hope they don't. I'd rather see her just be connected to someone else entirely than see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
But then, why would he build a new blue saber, and then build another green one for RotJ?

Welcome back, by the way.
Can you ever have too many lightsabers, really?

And thanks!

Old 12-21-2015, 10:00 PM   #4159
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
No problem.

Are you planning to see the movie?
I really really REALLY want to go see it, but I can't with all those people. It would be a 136 minute long panic attack waiting to happen, and I don't have enough meds to double up on one day. Plus, I worry about these mass shootings going on all over the place. Every time a big movie opens, I can't help but think about TDKR.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #4160
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Yo.

ok, but the problem with that though is Fin got *his ass whooped* by that ST w/Z6 baton, and while granted this is assuming they both had the SAME AMOUNT.....that ST had him on the ropes, w/o having suffered a hit as I recall, and ended up looking far superior in his fight w/Fin than Kylo did (if anything, Fin shouldn't known wat to do/not to do in that fight than his opponent, given the weapon he had.)

and yes, that's allowing for him having been gut-shot by Chewie.

Tazer

Sup.

Yeah, Fin getting his ass handed to him by the other Stormtrooper doesn't help my argument, unless that Stormtrooper was a good friend of Fin who he didn't want to fight and/or if it's James Bond (FYI, actor James Bond plays a stormtrooper).

However, I still think that Kylo was playing with Fin at first as I'm sure Kylo doesn't get many opportunities to practice his skills on a real life opponent.

Quote:
My thoughts on where Rey comes from:

She will be a clone of Luke Skywalker. I don't see her being a daughter to anyone, as that would have been some extreme plot diversion in Episode VII. NO ONE brought up the fact that she was related to someone.

However, being a clone of Luke Skywalker, make sense both in the world of Star Wars, and the fact that she wasn't mentioned as being important by anyone.

END

Again, I really hate the clone theory. I didn't like it in the prequels and in the Expanded Universe books.

As for Luke's lightsaber, it fell into shaft on Bespin and was caught in a debris filter and cleaned out by some ugnaught and the sold and found it's way to the place where it was suppose to end up like R2D2.

And yes, welcome back.

Quote:
Yo.

Tazer
Because of the title of the film. A virgin birth caused by midichlorians/the will of the Force to restore balance. Rey was so strong with the Force as she was proven to be more skilled and stronger with the Force than Kylo, especially when she took a moment to allow the Force flow through her. People think because of that, she was created in the same manner as Anakin.

Here's another theory about Rey, is that she is the daughter of Luke and she was in training to become a Jedi when Kylo was ape shit and killed the rest of the padawans. It was at the point, people theorize that Rey was mind wiped and put on Jakku. When Rey was captured she started to remember her training and did the Jedi mind trick thing on the James Bond stormtrooper. This theory explains why Rey was strong in the Force and in her Jedi skills and abilities. I admit I cheered when Rey used the Force to pull the lightsaber from the snow. Although, I was hoping Luke would show up at that point.

Last edited by Darth_Primus; 12-21-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:41 PM   #4161
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP-05 View Post
I really really REALLY want to go see it, but I can't with all those people. It would be a 136 minute long panic attack waiting to happen, and I don't have enough meds to double up on one day. Plus, I worry about these mass shootings going on all over the place. Every time a big movie opens, I can't help but think about TDKR.
I hear ya. Yeah, no reason to cause yourself illness to see this movie. Wait until you're ready. I'm sure The Force Awakens will be in theaters until late February.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:51 AM   #4162
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Rey isn't going to NOT be related to someone, and I doubt they are doing the clone thing again. Here are the hints we are given:

When BB8 tells Rey his mission is classified, she says hers is too, indicating she has a secret.

We are told a few times in the movie that she has to get back to Jakku to wait for her family.

Rey is obviously very strong with the force.

At Maz Kanata's castle, Rey is called---CALLED by the lightsaber of Anakin and Luke Skywalker. She touches it and it sets off a series of visions of past and future.

One of those visions of the past is her as a small child crying as her family flies away leaving her on Jakku. .

Max Von Sydow's character, Lor San Tekka, also lives on Jakku. He has contacts with General Leia Organa from the past, and says that she will always be royalty to him. Most importantly, HE is the one holding onto Luke Skywalker's location keeping it a secret...until he is asked to give it up by Leia.

What are the odds that LST is right there where Rey is, and knows where Luke is hiding, while also being near Rey, who is force sensitive, called to by Luke's lightsaber, AND has a secret plot thread about her family?AND on top of that her last name is a secret? I don't know how much more obvious they could make it that Luke is her father. Who her mother is/was, if she does or doesn't remember anything...those are all details we'll find out in the next movie.

Edit> I just came back from seeing TFA for a third time. The male character who is pulling young Rey away as the ship leaves in her force vision of her past was definitely not MVS, but the guy that she was getting her portions from. My bad.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:07 AM   #4163
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I totally get this and although I'm not medicated for it, I avoid large gatherings (with a few strange exceptions) because of discomfort. I also think I started to have a mild panic attack while at a dinner party once, but I saw it coming, absented myself to an empty room and looked at the hosts' pretty fishies until I calmed enough to return to dinner.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:40 AM   #4164
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Life is an irony.....I actually just saw the movie. Myself, the dog, AND NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

So, here are my initial thoughts hot off the press [BEGIN SPOILERS]

• Do you mean to tell me that in Ben Solo's entire life, no one told him his grandfather died a hero, or how he saved the galaxy, or who he was as Anakin Skywalker? 4 RLZ?
  • Where were the new iconic music pieces to accompany each character? Was Williams even playing music?
  • The film lacked color. By that, I mean the locations, backgrounds, and even Star Killer base were bland and uneventful.
  • Say what you will about the Prequels (never had issue with them here), each location and place had its own flavor and quality that stuck with the movies. That is totally missing in this movie. Prequel WIN.
  • The lightsaber duels were FAIL. MAJOR FAIL. First, you have this kid who has been training with Luke for a good portion of his life, and he's swinging his lightsaber around like a 50 pound baseball bat. I will cut Rey some slack since she is all of five minutes new to the game. Prequel WIN.
  • The hype that has built up for this movie since it was announced overshadows its actual quality.
  • Whether it was Disney or Lucas' decision to get Lucas out of the picture, it was actually a blessing in disguise. Disney FAIL.
  • Captain Phasma? Where was she? She was the new character I wanted to know about MOST, and she got hustled by 2 guys, a Wookie, and a pizza place. Phasma FAIL.
  • Kylo Ren: Makes his grandfather look excellent in the prequels. Someone pull the car over and give that whiny bitch a beating. Anakin WIN.
  • Way too many similarities to ANH. Story FAIL.
  • It just didn't *feel* like Star Wars to me. A decent sic fi flick? Maybe. FEELS FAIL.

But on the more positive side of things,
  • Rey was a kick-ass character. I will continue to see the newer movies to track her development. Hopefully, the quality of future movies will be much better. REY WIN.
  • Han, Rey, and Finn had a good dialogue going. Good to see Han could still be a smart mouth with the best of them. Dialogue WIN.
  • Sucked to see Han go out the way he did, but as Yoda once said, "death is a part of life." Glad Chewie shot the shit out of Ren. Han WIN.
  • I have no doubt that this movie is the start of a bigger and better story, but man, what rocky way to start. Hopefully a Future WIN.
  • Spock Prime's cameo was awesome. SPOCK WIN.

[END SPOILERS]

So, in closing I have these few quips: The OT and PT will always be a concrete foundation for me, and that's what I will remember best about Star Wars. The good times. I am still enamored with the universe, and absolutely love Star Wars Rebels, so we got that going. We've got some strong books coming out in the EU to join a small but awesome stable of pre-existing novels (post-buyout), and I look forward to that.

My finishing statement:

I enjoyed the 2015 Fantastic Four movie more than TFA.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:37 AM   #4165
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
I just HAD to quote this.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:42 AM   #4166
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
At least Fant4Stic didn't have on of the greatest characters in cinema history get killed like a bitch by a bitch.............

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:49 AM   #4167
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Some of his negatives viewpoints are definitely factual, and then some are just what irks him. But there's no way you can make that final statement and mean it. There is ZERO joy to get out of the FF reboot outside of their initial trip to the negative zone and maybe Doom's hallway scene. Everything else is just blah.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:58 AM   #4168
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
But there's no way you can make that final statement and mean it...
I did make that final statement and I did mean it.

But look closely at what I said- I enjoyed both, just one more than the other.

I didn't hate TFA; I'm just not bonkers crazy about it.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:59 AM   #4169
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
You go right on ahead, big fella.

At least we will always have Jaws together.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #4170
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster Beetle View Post
At least Fant4Stic didn't have on of the greatest characters in cinema history get killed like a bitch by a bitch.............

it wasnt "like a bitch", as Han wasnt pleading for his life or anything of the sort.

agreed that Kylo *is* a bitch tho, and a whiny one at that.

Tazer

Quote:
Old 12-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #4171
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster Beetle View Post
Be glad you got Han as long as you did since he wanted out after empire.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:36 PM   #4172
Tazer

Yo.

Tazer

Quote:
Old 12-22-2015, 03:25 PM   #4173
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Life is an irony.....I actually just saw the movie. Myself, the dog, AND NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

So, here are my initial thoughts hot off the press [BEGIN SPOILERS]

• Do you mean to tell me that in Ben Solo's entire life, no one told him his grandfather died a hero, or how he saved the galaxy, or who he was as Anakin Skywalker? 4 RLZ?
  • Where were the new iconic music pieces to accompany each character? Was Williams even playing music?
  • The film lacked color. By that, I mean the locations, backgrounds, and even Star Killer base were bland and uneventful.
  • Say what you will about the Prequels (never had issue with them here), each location and place had its own flavor and quality that stuck with the movies. That is totally missing in this movie. Prequel WIN.
  • The lightsaber duels were FAIL. MAJOR FAIL. First, you have this kid who has been training with Luke for a good portion of his life, and he's swinging his lightsaber around like a 50 pound baseball bat. I will cut Rey some slack since she is all of five minutes new to the game. Prequel WIN.
  • The hype that has built up for this movie since it was announced overshadows its actual quality.
  • Whether it was Disney or Lucas' decision to get Lucas out of the picture, it was actually a blessing in disguise. Disney FAIL.
  • Captain Phasma? Where was she? She was the new character I wanted to know about MOST, and she got hustled by 2 guys, a Wookie, and a pizza place. Phasma FAIL.
  • Kylo Ren: Makes his grandfather look excellent in the prequels. Someone pull the car over and give that whiny bitch a beating. Anakin WIN.
  • Way too many similarities to ANH. Story FAIL.
  • It just didn't *feel* like Star Wars to me. A decent sic fi flick? Maybe. FEELS FAIL.

But on the more positive side of things,
  • Rey was a kick-ass character. I will continue to see the newer movies to track her development. Hopefully, the quality of future movies will be much better. REY WIN.
  • Han, Rey, and Finn had a good dialogue going. Good to see Han could still be a smart mouth with the best of them. Dialogue WIN.
  • Sucked to see Han go out the way he did, but as Yoda once said, "death is a part of life." Glad Chewie shot the shit out of Ren. Han WIN.
  • I have no doubt that this movie is the start of a bigger and better story, but man, what rocky way to start. Hopefully a Future WIN.
  • Spock Prime's cameo was awesome. SPOCK WIN.

[END SPOILERS]

So, in closing I have these few quips: The OT and PT will always be a concrete foundation for me, and that's what I will remember best about Star Wars. The good times. I am still enamored with the universe, and absolutely love Star Wars Rebels, so we got that going. We've got some strong books coming out in the EU to join a small but awesome stable of pre-existing novels (post-buyout), and I look forward to that.

My finishing statement:

I think you'll end up with the most unique opinion about the film.

I often think how many people know about Darth Vader's redemption in Return of the Jedi. Perhaps Luke kept that to himself. Luke was the only at Vader's funeral.

As for Kylo Ren, bitch be crazy. It's probably what attracted Supreme Leader Snoke to him and take him as his apprentice. Feed him lies about the Darkside and about Darth Vader. Snoke probably told Kylo that Luke betrayed and murdered his grandfather. That the Skywalker blood line was to bring peace and order to the galaxy. Power is one of the most intoxicating seductions.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #4174
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

My Two-Cents Review of The Force Awakens

Scoreboard:
Story - 7/10
Characters - 9/10
Dialogue - 7/10
Special Effects - 10/10
Nostalgia Balance - 10/10

Overall - 43/50

Review:

If I had to encapsulate all of my thoughts concerning The Force Awakens into a lede or headline, I'd probably go with "The Force Awakens is 'The Avengers' of the Star Wars Universe."

I walked out of The Force Awakens feeling the exact same way I felt after seeing The Avengers for the first time. I was out of breath from all the awesome and excitement of the experience, but at the same time there was a slight twinge that felt the movie could have been so much more. And I think the problem with The Force Awakens is the same problem that hurt The Avengers; TFA is an extremely "safe" movie.

TFA hits all of the beats you know and expect in a Star Wars movie - well executed space battles, ground battles, lightsaber duels, intriguing characters, beautiful locales, deft if simple plot progression.

One of the problems with the movie, was how the movie's emotional plot points fell kind of flat when they were needed most. And so help me god, I think the reason for that was - this movie needed a prequel or two. Though the death of Han Solo was an emotionally impactful scene, it wasn't because you felt a strong connection between Kylo Ren and Han, it was just because Han Solo is a crowd favorite, and my personal favorite character. And I felt as though Abrams was trying to make me feel a connection between Kylo, Han, and Leia, that just functionally wasn't there.

I felt the same way about the ending, when Rey finally makes it to where Luke is hiding. I felt like there was a storypiece missing somewhere, and keeping Rey's background a secret hurt the story in this regard. Throughout the entire movie, Luke is treated as nothing more than a McGuffin, albeit a nerd boner inducing McGuffin, but his connection with Rey has no context. The only real context given is the vision Rey receives when she finds the lightsaber. But even that scene is completely shrouded in mystery - is that in the past, the future? If I have no clue what is happening, how can that help to connect the emotional plot points?

The movie from a technical standpoint is executed about as flawlessly as could be expected. Abrams did a masterful job of mixing practical effects with CGI, and did a great job of knowing when to be more subtle with the booms, flashes, and visual delights. I felt like the movie was a great balance of the more subdued original trilogy, and the grandiose special effects of the prequels.

Along with the special effects, the characters were integrated well. The new blood didn't overshadow the old blood, and vice versa. Everything felt natural, and I liked all of the new additions except - Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma. I felt as though Kylo was a more likable, and better acted version of Anakin. I was hoping for a more intriguing villain. The good thing is there's hope he will flesh out in later movies, and Driver seems to have more acting talent in a lock of his dark hair than Christensen ever had at any singular moment in Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith. And Captain Phasma was a waste of well executed visual character design.

In fact, my thoughts towards Kylo Ren mirror somewhat how I feel about the whole movie. I think its merits will be judged based on how it fits in the whole of the new trilogy. As it stands on its own, TFA is an amazing Star Wars movie, that dropped the ball in key areas that keeps it from movie greatness. However, that can be remedied by how the story fleshes out. Maybe I need to slow roll and wait for the whole graphic novel to come out .

My hope is that now Abrams has pulled off the impossible task of making a new Star Wars movie that is loved by fans, the future movies can take more chances with what is done with plot and characters. The Star Wars universe is big enough, and varied enough to not keep going with the same themes. It took the Marvel universe a bit before it took bigger risks - Guardians of the Galaxy, Jessica Jones. Maybe with the success TFA has brought about will be that catalyst.

Last edited by JohnnyV; 12-22-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #4175
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
My Two-Cents Review of The Force Awakens

Scoreboard:
Story - 7/10
Characters - 9/10
Dialogue - 7/10
Special Effects - 10/10
Nostalgia Balance - 10/10

Overall - 43/50

Review:

If I had to encapsulate all of my thoughts concerning The Force Awakens into a lede or headline, I'd probably go with "The Force Awakens is 'The Avengers' of the Star Wars Universe."

I walked out of The Force Awakens feeling the exact same way I felt after seeing The Avengers for the first time. I was out of breath from all the awesome and excitement of the experience, but at the same time there was a slight twinge that felt the movie could have been so much more. And I think the problem with The Force Awakens is the same problem that hurt The Avengers; TFA is an extremely "safe" movie.

TFA hits all of the beats you know and expect in a Star Wars movie - well executed space battles, ground battles, lightsaber duels, intriguing characters, beautiful locales, deft if simple plot progression.

One of the problems with the movie, was how the movie's emotional plot points fell kind of flat when they were needed most. And so help me god, I think the reason for that was - this movie needed a prequel or two. Though the death of Han Solo was an emotionally impactful scene, it wasn't because you felt a strong connection between Kylo Ren and Han, it was just because Han Solo is a crowd favorite, and my personal favorite character. And I felt as though Abrams was trying to make me feel a connection between Kylo, Han, and Leia, that just functionally wasn't there.

I felt the same way about the ending, when Rey finally makes it to where Luke is hiding. I felt like there was a storypiece missing somewhere, and keeping Rey's background a secret hurt the story in this regard. Throughout the entire movie, Luke is treated as nothing more than a McGuffin, albeit a nerd boner inducing McGuffin, but his connection with Rey has no context. The only real context given is the vision Rey receives when she finds the lightsaber. But even that scene is completely shrouded in mystery - is that in the past, the future? If I have no clue what is happening, how can that help to connect the emotional plot points?

The movie from a technical standpoint is executed about as flawlessly as could be expected. Abrams did a masterful job of mixing practical effects with CGI, and did a great job of knowing when to be more subtle with the booms, flashes, and visual delights. I felt like the movie was a great balance of the more subdued original trilogy, and the grandiose special effects of the prequels.

Along with the special effects, the characters were integrated well. The new blood didn't overshadow the old blood, and vice versa. Everything felt natural, and I liked all of the new additions except - Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma. I felt as though Kylo was a more likable, and better acted version of Anakin. I was hoping for a more intriguing villain. The good thing is there's hope he will flesh out in later movies, and Driver seems to have more acting talent in a lock of his dark hair than Christensen ever had at any singular moment in Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith. And Captain Phasma was a waste of well executed visual character design.

In fact, my thoughts towards Kylo Ren mirror somewhat how I feel about the whole movie. I think its merits will be judged based on how it fits in the whole of the new trilogy. As it stands on its own, TFA is an amazing Star Wars movie, that dropped the ball in key areas that keeps it from movie greatness. However, that can be remedied by how the story fleshes out. Maybe I need to slow roll and wait for the whole graphic novel to come out .

My hope is that now Abrams has pulled off the impossible task of making a new Star Wars movie that is loved by fans, the future movies can take more chances with what is done with plot and characters. The Star Wars universe is big enough, and varied enough to not keep going with the same themes. It took the Marvel universe a bit before it took bigger risks - Guardians of the Galaxy, Jessica Jones. Maybe with the success TFA has brought about will be that catalyst.
You slumming here bro?