The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old Yesterday, 04:56 AM   #9601
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Critters (1986)

The reason I thought of watching this is kinda funny....I ordered a "venomized" version of Doctor Doom out of the Funko Pop line, and he arrived yesterday. I laughed when I saw it up close and I stared at his mouth asking myself "where have I seen that before?" Talking with a friend on Instagram, it donned on me I was thinking of the movie Critters with their huge vicious smile and teeth to spare.

That was fun to watch again, although I don't know if I will revisit the entire series.
Old Yesterday, 05:03 AM   #9602
Space Cop
The Dandy

Grave Encounters (2011)

"This place is about as haunted as a sock drawer."

Not a new fav, but on the good side of found-footage horror. Follows TV ghost hunters who come across the real thing in an old insane asylum.

Last edited by Space Cop; Yesterday at 02:37 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM   #9603
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

On another board, someone once said he wished Alfred Hitchcock had made a Batman movie.

I thought about it and realized that Hitchcock could probably not have taken Batman seriously.

Batman as a dark, gritty and "realistic" badass works only if you leave your brain at the door don't think about it.
Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM   #9604
Parrylakks
Neko Samurai

Some of the jokes don't land very well, but it's still amusing.
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM   #9605
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
…Batman as a dark, gritty and "realistic" badass works only if you leave your brain at the door don't think about it.
Exactly. And I have no problem with being able to do that with certain properties (like Godzilla), but the last time I watched Batman Begins (my favorite of Nolan’s three), the scene where Rachel first sees Batman he’s squatting on the handrail of the L Train and doing that goofy smokers voice. I laughed out loud and thought, in the “real world” (which is clearly Chicago!) of this film, this educated, professional woman will either laugh in this dude’s face or clutch her pepper spray and run like hell. No way do I buy her engaging in a logical, coherent conversation. And that was it. I couldn’t get back into the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
[Dracula: Dead and Loving It]
Some of the jokes don't land very well, but it's still amusing.
Agreed. Both Dracula and Brooks fans often hate this one and I get that it’s not as solid as Blazing Saddles or Spaceballs, but there’s something charming about it. And, as with his Robin Hood, I like that he engages with the entire mythos instead of just one movie version. I also can’t help but laugh every time I hear Dr. Seward say “Yes, we have Nosferatu, we have Nosferatu today!”

Last edited by Space Cop; Yesterday at 01:41 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM   #9606
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Re Batman: I'm capable of suspending disbelief about it and getting into it. But if you ever stop and think about it, it's over.

I think the Batman television show is about what Hitchcock would have come up with.

Last edited by Trey Strain; Yesterday at 03:19 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM   #9607
Space Cop
The Dandy

'71 (2014)

"Will you ever leave us alone?"

It would've been better to do this on Sunday for the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday, but it's about to expire on Tubi and there's an even more relevant movie for that date. This follows a new recruit British soldier who gets immediately dispatched to Belfast, Northern Ireland at the height of the Troubles. On his first day, he gets separated from his unit and has to make it across town to get out.
Old Today, 06:05 AM   #9608
Parrylakks
Neko Samurai

Quite dissimilar to what I remembered, but enjoyable nonetheless. I always found it odd that Universal struggled to get Dark Universe off the ground when they had essentially already done it a decade earlier.
Old Today, 02:08 PM   #9609
Space Cop
The Dandy

Judge Dredd (1995)

"Emotions? There ought to be a law against them."

This was more enjoyable than I remembered, but maybe that was going back with low expectations. It's not great, but there's some decent designs and world building.