The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 07-28-2021, 08:10 PM   #5801
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://www.tmz.com/2021/07/28/zz-to...ill-dead-dies/

ZZ Top's longtime bassist, Dusty Hill, has died ... TMZ has learned.

Dusty passed away at his home in Houston, TX -- this according to his bandmates, Billy Gibbons and Frank Beard.

They write, "We are saddened by the news today that our Compadre, Dusty Hill, has passed away in his sleep at home in Houston, TX. We, along with legions of ZZ Top fans around the world, will miss your steadfast presence, your good nature and enduring commitment to providing that monumental bottom to the 'Top'. We will forever be connected to that "Blues Shuffle in C." The boys add, "You will be missed greatly, amigo."

Unclear if Dusty's death is in any way related to another health scare he recently suffered -- namely, a hip injury that the band said he had to address in the past week or so, forcing him to bow out of a string of shows across the U.S. with his bandmates.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:06 AM   #5802
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://nypost.com/2021/07/28/ron-po...rce=NYPTwitter

He told you to “Set it and forget it,” but the world will never forget Ron Popeil.

Popeil, an inventor and the face of infomercials for “as-seen-on-TV” products like Showtime Rotisserie and Pocket Fisherman, has died. He was 86.

His family told TMZ that Popeil had a medical emergency on Tuesday and died Wednesday morning surrounded by family at Los Angeles’ Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

Popeil was best known for the “Set it and forget it” catchphrase used to sell Showtime Rotisserie in late-night infomercials. Long before air fryers became the kitchen appliance du jour, the countertop rotisserie appliance took the home cooking world by storm, having sold over $1 billion worth, TMZ reported.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:50 PM   #5803
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/29/polit...ies/index.html

Carl Levin, a former US senator from Michigan who advanced Democratic priorities throughout his 36-year tenure in Congress, has died, the Levin Center at Wayne State University Law School said late Thursday in a statement.

"Whether he was chairing a hearing on critical national security issues or working on behalf of his home state, he believed that collaboration and compromise served our common purpose better than partisanship and political brinkmanship. He was a clarion voice for a military strong enough to defend our nation and uphold American values. He was a tireless advocate for the positive role that government can play in the lives of the American people and a relentless watchdog ensuring that government programs meet their commitments," the statement from the Levin family and Levin Center says in part.

The former senator died Thursday at age 87.

First elected to Congress 1978, Levin was the longest-serving US senator in Michigan's history. A Swarthmore College graduate who earned his law degree at Harvard, Levin prioritized civil rights advocacy early in his career through work at the Michigan Civil Rights Commission. He leveraged his work as a public defender in Detroit -- where he grew up -- and on the Detroit City Council to launch a national political career that saw him become a champion of the Democratic Party.

Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 07-30-2021 at 03:53 PM.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:48 PM   #5804
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://www.9news.com/article/news/l...6-d50b3f91478e

Former Colorado Governor Dick Lamm has died, according to a statement released by his wife.

Dottie Lamm, a former First Lady of Colorado, issued the following statement concerning the Thursday evening passing of her husband.

"With great sadness, but also gratitude for a life well lived and in service to his beloved Colorado, I want to share the news of the death of my husband, former Governor Richard D. Lamm.

He would have turned 86 next Tuesday but passed away yesterday evening surrounded by his family, following complications from a pulmonary embolism earlier in the week."
Old 07-31-2021, 05:11 AM   #5805
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://newdeaths.com/2021/07/31/gon...ause-of-death/

Ice Cube and 2Pac affiliate Gonzoe, has been identified as the man shot and killed near a Seattle-area gas station. Gonzoe was pronounced dead at the scene, the police report that a bullet-riddled vehicle was found in the area. Gonzoe death is still under on ongoing investigation. Gonzoe was known to be an amazing person, he will be dearly missed.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:15 PM   #5806
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

https://www.nbc12.com/2021/07/30/i-s...-covid-age-39/

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021
Agent Purple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:44 PM   #5807
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/08/01/thea-white-death/

Voice actress Thea White has passed away. She was best known for playing Muriel in Courage The Cowardly Dog.

According to a Facebook profile of John Zitzner – Thea’s brother – the voice actress passed away on July 31st 2021 at 11:05 am.

John Zitzner wrote in his post: “My sister recorded this prior to her surgery. She fought. She left us today at 11:05.”

He also attached a video to the post whereby Thea talks about speeding up her recovery.

John Zitzner has previously shared posts with is sister which reveal that she was battling cancer. He wrote: “If you can, prayers for my sister Thea… surgery at Cleveland Clinic tomorrow morning to remove tumor in liver! Thanks!!” on July 19th, 2021.
Old 08-01-2021, 03:59 PM   #5808
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Damn, I used to love that show as a kid.

Last night I was telling my dad that Dusty Hill died. He knew a guy from Texas years ago in the Army, dude was from the same town ZZ Top was from, and saw them perform before they were famous.

Old 08-04-2021, 03:36 PM   #5809
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://www.berkeleyside.org/2021/08...a-jones-author

Jonathan Rinzler, who wrote under the name J.W. Rinzler, died peacefully on July 28 at his home in Albion after an 11-month battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 58.

Jonathan was born Aug. 17, 1962, to parents Alan and Marilyn Rinzler and spent his formative years in Berkeley, attending Berkeley High School with brothers Peter and Ben. He began his undergraduate studies at the Parsons School of Design, where he studied painting, an interest he continued throughout his adult life. Rinzler graduated from New York University with bachelor’s and master’s degrees in comparative literature.

Rinzler had a prodigious career as a bestselling author of cinematic history books about Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and other 20th century blockbuster films. He joined Lucasfilm in 2001 and became the executive editor of its publishing arm, Lucasbooks. Over 15 years, he authored an extensive body of Star Wars-related publications, including The Making of Star Wars (a New York Times bestseller), The Making of The Empire Strikes Back, The Making of Return of the Jedi, Star Wars: The Blueprints, and The Sounds of Star Wars.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:13 PM   #5810
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Really sad.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pent...l_twitter_abcn

The police officer fatally stabbed during an attack at the Pentagon's bus terminal on Tuesday has been identified as George Gonzalez, a Brooklyn native and Iraq War veteran who joined the Pentagon police force in 2018.

Gonzalez was killed Tuesday after being stabbed by a man identified to ABC News by law enforcement sources as Austin William Lanz of Georgia.

Lanz died a short time later as a result of a gunshot wound, but investigators are still trying to determine if it was self-inflicted or the result of gunfire from other Pentagon police officers.

At least one other bystander was injured in the incident, according to the law enforcement sources.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:43 PM   #5811
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Texas Republican Executive Committee member H. Scott Apley has died "tragically" at 45. There's no estimate on how many people he's taken with him who believed the shit he said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-gop...213828504.html

Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-04-2021 at 11:50 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:17 PM   #5812
Space Cop
The Dandy

Bobby Eaton, pro wrestler born in Alabama, dead at 62
Old 08-05-2021, 02:42 PM   #5813
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Another wrestler gone at much too young an age.

Eaton was perfect for Jim Cornette to manage. Lacking in mic skills but an excellent worker, he could let Cornette do the talking for him, and take him and a tag team partner who was like him to the world belts.

I'm sure Cornette will have a lot to say about him.

BTW, you don't see tag teams and managers now because Vince thinks that's paying money for extra people.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-05-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:46 PM   #5814
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
Another wrestler gone at much too young an age.

Eaton was perfect for Jim Cornette to manage. Lacking in mic skills but an excellent worker, he could let Cornette do the talking for him, and take him and a tag team partner who was like him to the world belts.

I'm sure Cornette will have a lot to say about him.

BTW, you don't see tag teams and managers now because Vince thinks that's paying money for extra people.
I want to watch a really good Eaton or Midnight Express match today. Any recommendations?
Old 08-05-2021, 04:59 PM   #5815
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I want to watch a really good Eaton or Midnight Express match today. Any recommendations?
Uh, wow. Well, Cornette throwing a fireball into Ronnie Garvin's face was great. Supposedly this was the first time the cameras followed wrestlers into the dressing room, but I don't whether that's true.

Jimmy Garvin was actually Ronnie's stepson in real life. Jimmy was always estranged from him and apparently still is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhCjvwRKvAw
Old 08-05-2021, 05:05 PM   #5816
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

This is a great documentary about the Rock n Roll Express but the Midnight Express play a big role in it. What's especially good is that it's about the last days of kayfabe wrestling, when the fans actually believed it was real.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x416pir
Old 08-05-2021, 07:18 PM   #5817
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...ka-dead-502573

Richard Trumka, president of the powerful AFL-CIO labor organization, has died unexpectedly, the federation announced Thursday.

Trumka, 72, had served as president of the AFL-CIO, which represents more than 12.5 million workers, for more than a decade and was called a “close personal friend” by President Joe Biden.

He died of what was believed to be a heart attack, a source familiar with the matter said. It was unclear when exactly it occurred, though it's believed to be either Wednesday evening or Thursday morning.

Staff at the AFL-CIO were informed of the death on Thursday morning.

“He was a relentless champion of workers’ rights, workplace safety, worker-centered trade, democracy and so much more,” AFL-CIO Communications Director Tim Schlittner said in a statement.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:12 AM   #5818
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...hssrp_catchall

Bobby Eaton, a pro wrestling star, died Wednesday of unknown causes. He was 62 years old.

Eaton’s sister, Debbie Eaton Lewis, posted news of his death to Facebook: “I never wanted to have to post this, but my Little Brother Beautiful Bobby Eaton passed away last night. When I find out all the details, I will post them. Bobby was the kindest, loving person you would ever meet. I loved him so much and going to miss him.”

According to wrestling news sites, Eaton was hospitalized after a bad fall in July, but it is unknown whether that event had anything to do with his death.

What is known is what an impact that World Championship Wrestling and National Wrestling Alliance league star — who was known as “Beautiful” Bobby Eaton — had on fans and peers, who memorialized him online Thursday morning.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:55 PM   #5819
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...180156056.html

Gina Marie Krasley, known for a 2020 episode of the TLC reality show “My 600-lb Life,” died on Sunday at home in Tuckerton, N.J., surrounded by family, according to her obituary. She was 30.

In her Season 8 episode of “My 600-lb Life,” Krasley revealed that her struggles with weight began as a child, when she coped with physical and verbal abuse from her father by turning to food for comfort. The episode also followed her relationship with her wife Beth and the strain that her health put on the couple’s home life.
Old 08-07-2021, 03:03 PM   #5820
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://celebritiesdeaths.com/brad-a...llan-has-died/

We are sad to report that Brad Allan has passed away, We learn of the death of Brad Allan at the age of 48. He was a talented stuntman, choreographer and martial artist who had his heyday in Gorgeous when he faced Jackie Chan. His death was announced on social media on August 6. 2021.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #5821
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Bobby Eaton was broke? Seriously?

https://fr.gofundme.com/f/bobby-eaton-funeral-expenses
Old 08-07-2021, 05:06 PM   #5822
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Radio talk show host Dick Farrel has died "tragically" of Covid-19.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-r...134950826.html
Old 08-08-2021, 12:16 AM   #5823
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://deadline.com/2021/08/trevor-...ry-1234811024/

Trevor Moore, a comedian, actor, producer, and co-founder of the sketch comedy group The Whitest Kids U Know, died Friday evening at 41 from an accident. His death was confirmed by his manager, who issued this statement on behalf of his wife Aimee Carlson and the Moore family:

“We are devastated by the loss of my husband, best friend and the father of our son. He was known as a writer and comedian to millions, and yet to us he was simply the center of our whole world. We don’t know how we’ll go on without him, but we’re thankful for the memories we do have that will stay with us forever. We appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone. This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you please respect our privacy during this time of grieving.”
Old 08-08-2021, 01:12 AM   #5824
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

WKUK had some great sketches. Sucks to lose him.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:16 AM   #5825
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...t-16371915.php

Dennis “Dee Tee” Thomas, a founding member of the long-running soul-funk band Kool & the Gang known for such hits as “Celebration” and “Get Down On It,” has died. He was 70.

He died peacefully in his sleep Saturday in New Jersey, where he was a resident of Montclair, according to a statement from his representative.

Thomas was the alto sax player, flutist and percussionist. He served as master of ceremonies at the band's shows. His last appearance with the group was July Fourth at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles.

Born Feb. 9, 1951, in Orlando, Florida, Thomas was known for his prologue on the band's 1971 hit, “Who's Gonna Take the Weight.” Known for his hip clothes and hats, he was also the group's wardrobe stylist. In the early days, he served as their “budget hawk,” carrying their earnings in a paper bag stuffed into the bell of his horn, the statement said.