The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 05-11-2021, 07:26 PM   #3701
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

The Guyver was a weird live action adaptation. I'd recommend watching the anime for a better experience.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:58 PM   #3702
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
The Guyver was a weird live action adaptation. I'd recommend watching the anime for a better experience.

I'll throw it on my list of anime to watch. I just started my next anime today (Xabungle). I'm already 4 episodes into it, and it looks like a keeper.

In regards to horror flick suggestions, im still open for business. Werewolves, Vampires, Monsters of some kind (non human please), aliens, whatever else you can throw at me.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:22 PM   #3703
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I may be thinking too hard on this, but when you say Demon Knight, you are referring to the Tales from the Crypt movie, right?
This makes me wonder if there's another film with the same title.

Quote:
I also watched another movie earlier called "Bad Moon"
I like that film. DVD has a damn card stock cover with a snap side release but the art of it is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
I'll recommend one from a bit farther back -- Don't Look Now, from 1973.
I'm going to have to look this up.

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:30 PM   #3704
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
This makes me wonder if there's another film with the same title...

That was why I asked. It's totally probable for films to have the same title, even in the same genre. I was kinda hoping SC was talking about another movie so it would give me something new to watch.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:55 AM   #3705
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Horror movies I recently viewed:

Deep Rising: I remember seeing this a while ago, probably at the suggestion of someone here, but I totally forgot the ins and outs of the story. Just remembered the basic framework. It was fun to watch again, and I recognized the doctor who was in charge of Hannibal Lecter in SOTL. That actor really knows how to play a convincing dickhead. I had forgotten the very ending though. I think this movie could have used a sequel.

The Guyver: Dark Hero. I hated the first one so much I had to see how bad the sequel was. I was pleasantly surprised that his was a much better movie. Of course they still did all that silly Power Rangers style fighting bullshit, but the overall tone was much darker and the background of an archeological dig served the story well. The mega-Guyver at the end was interesting, and at least the Guyver got to ride off into the sunset witha supportive new girlfriend.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:58 AM   #3706
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Btw, I found the following list on the net and have been cherry picking through it nightly to find something to watch. If you are interested, have a look:

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-r-r...isted_on&pos=1
Old 05-15-2021, 01:08 AM   #3707
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Deep Rising
I haven't seen that in ages. I remember really liking it in middle school.

But the ending was the most blatant cliffhanger and sequel-bait that never paid off. Shame.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:33 PM   #3708
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Watched Brandon Tenold's review of The Boogens. Had to pause the video when he made a comment about Stephen King liking the TV series The Shining more than the Kubrick film and not explaining why, just so I could vent for a minute.

I did like how he commented on weird words being the titles of various horror flicks, usually involving weird creatures. His comment about Ghoulies made me remember the scene with the mean teacher fighting the monster (pretty sure it was that film).

I wonder if he did Monster in the Closet. If not then hopefully soon.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:46 PM   #3709
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

So my mother had The Bone Collector on while we we eating dinner recently, right as the climax started.

Guess I don't need to watch it now since I saw the ending.

But seriously, I now am thinking of seeing it because one, it's Denzel; and two, the villain is played by Leland Orser, whom I swear I saw before so now I'm interested in his performance in full.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:20 PM   #3710
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:

I'm going to have to look this up.

You can look it up right here.

https://ok.ru/video/2024491977396

Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-24-2021 at 11:22 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 01:48 AM   #3711
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
So my mother had The Bone Collector on while we we eating dinner recently, right as the climax started.

Guess I don't need to watch it now since I saw the ending.

But seriously, I now am thinking of seeing it because one, it's Denzel; and two, the villain is played by Leland Orser, whom I swear I saw before so now I'm interested in his performance in full.
I read that book and it really bothered me. The way the author described the first victim really got me into her head. The funny thing, is next to nothing in movies bothers me, but in books I have a much lower tolerance for disturbing or disgusting (though I guess I still read it anyway).
Old 05-26-2021, 11:10 PM   #3712
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Part of me wants to kill an afternoon watching Army of the Dead, and part of me wants to avoid it. Trailer did look good, though.

Can't remember if I mentioned The Horror Geek, Mike Bracken, here or not. Dude is hilarious with his dad jokes and covering all kinds of horror flicks, many of which are Italian ripoffs so bad or bizarre they have to be seen to be believed (such as Zombi 3's flying zombie head; review went up earlier today).

Old 05-27-2021, 12:28 AM   #3713
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Part of me wants to kill an afternoon watching Army of the Dead, and part of me wants to avoid it. Trailer did look good, though. . .
Why? Because it's Snyder? I don't really know anything beyond the first teaser trailer I saw.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:42 AM   #3714
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

It's got Dave Bautista, the action looked mildly entertaining, it's a heist film in Vegas with a huge swarm of fast zombies that have a hierarchy. I watched the non-spoiler review Joe Vargas put up (haven't watched the extended spoiler video yet) and they thought it was 90 minutes of crap to get to one hour of decent material, had some good elements but clearly highlighted that Snyder needs a team to proof his work because his scripts and photography are poor as hell even if his overall directing is solid.

Old 05-27-2021, 03:14 AM   #3715
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Dang, I didn't notice the runtime before. A zombie movie 21 minutes longer than the original Dawn of the Dead and 52 minutes longer than Night of the Living Dead better do something really amazing to justify all that time. Somehow, I doubt it does. And I'm with James Rolfe that movies (especially genre flicks) are too long nowadays. Epic lengths should be the rare exception that's demanded by the material, not the commonplace thing.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:50 PM   #3716
robojac
Corps Honor Guard

Brian Tyler To Score Matt Bettinelli-Olpin’s & Tyler Gillett’s ‘Scream’

Quote:
Brian Tyler (Iron Man 3, Fast & Furious, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Now You See Me, Crazy Rich Asians) has been tapped to score the upcoming slasher movie Scream. The fifth installment in the horror franchise is directed by Matt Bettinelli-Olpin & Tyler Gillett and stars Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, David Arquette and Marley Shelton who reprrise their roles from the first four movies. They are joined by new cast members Melissa Barrera, Jack Quaid, Dylan Minnette, Jenna Ortega, Mason Gooding, Jasmin Savoy Brown, Mikey Madison, Sonia Ben Ammar and Kyle Gallner. James Vanderbilt (Zodiac, White House Down) and Guy Busic wrote the screenplay. Vanderbilt is also producing the Radio Silence, Spyglass Media Group and Project X Entertainment production with Paul Neinstein and William Sherak (Suspiria). Kevin Williamson (who wrote the first, second and fourth film in the series) serves as an executive producer. Tyler has previously scored Bettinelli-Olpin’s and Gillett’s last feature, Ready or Not. He also collaborated with Vanderbilt on the screenwriter’s & producer’s directorial debut, Truth. Marco Beltrami has composed the music for the first four Scream movies directed by Wes Craven. Scream is currently scheduled to be released in theaters nationwide on January 14, 2022 by Paramount Pictures.
http://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/05...lletts-scream/

Brian Tyler is a decent composer but not in the same league as Marco Beltrami IMO. It sucks that Beltrami won't return for this and it's bad enough that Wes Craven(RIP) won't be able to direct. The first four Scream scores are excellent and hopefully Tyler uses Beltrami's themes out of respect and continuity sake. In addition, the title for this movie is as lazy as the Halloween sequel from 2018, The Thing prequel from 2011, and the upcoming Candyman sequel. Hopefully there is a reason in the movie for this fifth entry to have the exact same title as the first one.
robojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:34 PM   #3717
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
^Dang, I didn't notice the runtime before. A zombie movie 21 minutes longer than the original Dawn of the Dead and 52 minutes longer than Night of the Living Dead better do something really amazing to justify all that time. Somehow, I doubt it does. And I'm with James Rolfe that movies (especially genre flicks) are too long nowadays. Epic lengths should be the rare exception that's demanded by the material, not the commonplace thing.
Yeah, I hear very mixed reception of it. A buddy just watched it and he liked it but he didn't elaborate beyond that, so I'll have to ask him sometime.

Old 05-28-2021, 12:20 AM   #3718
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

I watched Army of Darkness last night. You are all correct in that certain parts (like the beginning and the set up for the plan) just lagged on and on.....and on. And the ending was....odd. Trying not to spoil it for ya.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:56 PM   #3719
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Are you talking about the original from 20 years ago? Shit, I haven't seen that in ages.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:52 AM   #3720
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Are you talking about the original from 20 years ago? Shit, I haven't seen that in ages.

Huh? No, I'm talking about the movie you guys are talking about with Bautista. I saw the whole thing a few nights ago. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a remake of anything from 20 years ago.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:05 AM   #3721
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

I'm pretty sure Jeff meant to say "Army of the Dead" not "Army of Darkness." I haven't watched it yet, myself. I really enjoyed Snyder's Dawn remake, but I've been burned out on the whole zombie craze for several years now, so it's just a katter of getting up the desire to dive into one.
Old 05-31-2021, 12:44 PM   #3722
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I know what you mean. There have been way too many zombie movies for my taste. I’ll still watch some of the notable stuff and re-watch the classics, but I don’t have the eagerness I might have at one point (though honestly werewolves, vampires, and other traditional monsters were always my preference).
Old 05-31-2021, 08:54 PM   #3723
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Well now I want a cheap Amazon Prime knockoff called Dark Army of the Undead or some shit.

Also, I saw a werewolf flick called The Shattering free on YouTube but when I watched the trailer it was obvious garbage, so I won't touch it.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:22 AM   #3724
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
I'm pretty sure Jeff meant to say "Army of the Dead" not "Army of Darkness." I haven't watched it yet, myself. I really enjoyed Snyder's Dawn remake, but I've been burned out on the whole zombie craze for several years now, so it's just a katter of getting up the desire to dive into one.

Oh yes, my mistake. I meant Army of the Dead. Believe it or not, I'm still kind of feeling side effects from the 2nd shot, but not as severe as it was the weekend after that Friday I got the shot. Odd dreams about my parents, dizziness episodes throughout the day, can't remember things said to me the day prior, really bad blurred vision....Hell, im a walking horror movie in itself. Ha!

But yeah, that movie with Bautista... I'm not sure how I feel about a zombie hierarchy, and the zombie thing has been played out for years now. I quit watching The Walking Dead right when Nail bat guy came into the show and killed 2 of the group. Have no idea what's happened since that episode. Not sure I want to know either.

I think the last zombie movie I actually enjoyed was Zombieland because it took a humorous self approach on the genre itself.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:40 AM   #3725
Space Cop
The Dandy

One of those documentary films about the fandom is coming out for Evil Dead. This should be fun:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.