The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 05-20-2021, 12:21 PM   #8926
Space Cop
The Dandy

[Rifftrax Live:] Space Mutiny (1988/2018)

"Sounds thrilling-we're going to do this offscreen."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
...I have some questions and things to address in the Kaiju thread, which really belongs in the "Movies and TV" section.
Yeah, it just didn’t get moved when the others were (probably wasn’t near the top at the time). A mod would have to do that.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-20-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:01 AM   #8927
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

^^ I put in a request to have the Kaiju thread moved over to here.

Godzilla 2000 (1999) (American version)

I saw this beauty during its short theater run in North America. People cheered just for the opening Toho credit.

That pretty much sums up Godzilla (1998). Lol
Old 05-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #8928
Space Cop
The Dandy

Mortal Kombat (2021)

"Use your uppercut!"

Quote:
...Godzilla 2000 (1999) (American version)...I saw this beauty during its short theater run in North America. People cheered just for the opening Toho credit. . . That pretty much sums up Godzilla (1998). Lol
Believe it or not, I didn’t see either of the two (the other was Final Wars) Millennium movies that made it here. At the time, I wasn’t as obsessed with Godzilla (though still a fan) and although I heard they were coming, I didn’t notice that they had (I was busy with college at the time).

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-22-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:50 AM   #8929
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

The King's Speech (2010)

"Knighthood."

As World War II looms, George VI's stutter and Edward VIII's questionable loyalties and competence are burgeoning concerns to England. Increasingly desperate, George reluctantly seeks the help of a speech therapist of unusual reputation and style and begins the difficult road to mastering his impediment.

Gotta say this deserves its awards. The acting is excellent, the sets and wardrobes are top notch (especially the more famous areas). (I honestly wanted to slap Edward, guy was a dick and his floozy wife too). Geoffrey Rush was phenomenal, and seeing Micheal Gambon was a treat (my dad didn't recognize him nor did I but Dad enjoyed seeing him play George V).

Very highly recommend.

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:08 AM   #8930
Space Cop
The Dandy

Backdraft (1991)

"In a word, Brian, what is this job all about?
-Fire.
It's a living thing, Brian. It breathes, it eats, and it hates. The only way to beat it is to think like it."

Watched for the 30th anniversary. Since my only copy is VHS and I don't currently have a VCR, I rented a DVD from Netflix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
The King's Speech (2010) . . . (I honestly wanted to slap Edward, guy was a dick and his floozy wife too). . .
He doesn't come off too great in The Crown either; not that I feel too much sympathy for that Nazi lover.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-23-2021 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:41 AM   #8931
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Godzilla Vs. Megaguirus (2000)

Big thumbs up. I don't actually remember seeing this one and I'll have to search my dad's to see if it part of a collection I simply forgot about. But I enjoyed it immensely, whatever the case may be.

Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001)

Boring. Didn't even bother finishing the ending. Ghidorah as an Earth protector? Somebody was high when they came up with that idea. It also looked line the franchise had devolved 20 years in the past with filming techniques, Godzilla's appearance, and other abnormalities. This film belongs in the Florida Fails thread.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:46 AM   #8932
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla (2002)

A vast improvement over the quasi spiritual shit from the last one.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:28 PM   #8933
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Expendables 2 (2012)

"I've heard another rumor, that you were bitten by a king cobra?
-Yeah, I was. But after five days of agonizing pain, the cobra died. "

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-24-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:40 PM   #8934
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Ghidorah as an Earth protector?
Good lord, this hurt to read.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:19 PM   #8935
Space Cop
The Dandy

Not really a film (it's a twelve-part miniseries), but I finished re-watching I, Claudius (1976) with my family.

Quote:
...Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001)

Boring. Didn't even bother finishing the ending. Ghidorah as an Earth protector? Somebody was high when they came up with that idea. It also looked line the franchise had devolved 20 years in the past with filming techniques, Godzilla's appearance, and other abnormalities. This film belongs in the Florida Fails thread.
Quote:
. . . A vast improvement over the quasi spiritual shit from the last one.
Quote:
Good lord, this hurt to read.
I felt that way the first time I saw it, but the film has grown on me. It's very different, but I just take it as an alternate universe (indeed it doesn't attempt to fit with any other film except the first and none since it has tried to connect to it). The mythology is worked in nicely (both the Shinto aspects and the idea that the evil of the war would hang over Japan even affecting nature) and I like most of the re-designs (much more than Legendary's). The soundtrack is good. And the main actress/character is cute.

And, come on, Jeff, surely you at least appreciate that those punks that tried (and failed) to kill a dog got wiped out by Mothra!

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-25-2021 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:40 PM   #8936
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Not really a film (it's a twelve-part miniseries),
So you just insisted on taking twelve separate breaks during one film?

Slacker.

Old 05-25-2021, 01:53 AM   #8937
Space Cop
The Dandy

Thelma & Louise (1991)

"Louise, shoot the radio.
-Right.
. . . The police radio, Louise!"

Hadn't seen it in a while, but picked it up cheap recently and saved it for the 30th anniversary.

Quote:
So you just insisted on taking twelve separate breaks during one film?

Slacker.
Seven different dinner-and-a-"movie" nights with the folks over some time. Yeah, I think the run time would be like 10+ hours (and I misspoke; it was 13 parts, each around 50 minutes). And it's really like a stage play, mostly talking in limited set pieces. It's still good (especially if you’re interested in ancient Rome), but it's not edge-of-your-seat stuff.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-26-2021 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:03 AM   #8938
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)

Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)

And yes I will reply to your wise cracking ass when I wake up sometime later today.@SC ��
Old 05-26-2021, 01:19 PM   #8939
Space Cop
The Dandy

[Rifftrax Live:] Birdemic: Shock and Terror (2010/2013)

"We're aware that some of the actors in the movie are watching out there tonight. Hi, guys, we know you're very nice people and all I can say in advance is 'man, we're really sorry.' But you were in Birdemic; I don't know what else to tell you."

Quote:
...And yes I will reply to your wise cracking ass when I wake up sometime later today.@SC ��
It’s not wisecracking. I really do like GMK as its own thing. I wouldn't want the franchise to have continued that way, but as a one-off oddity I enjoy it. And it's not like they had never broken the "rules" before (flying Godzilla, talking kaiju, magnetic powers, tail slide, Ghidorah as a product of time manipulation, etc). Heck, before GMK, Godzilla, Anguirus, Rodan, and even Mothra had all switched from bad (or threat) to good.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:17 AM   #8940
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I felt that way the first time I saw it, but the film has grown on me. It's very different, but I just take it as an alternate universe (indeed it doesn't attempt to fit with any other film except the first and none since it has tried to connect to it). The mythology is worked in nicely (both the Shinto aspects and the idea that the evil of the war would hang over Japan even affecting nature) and I like most of the re-designs (much more than Legendary's). The soundtrack is good. And the main actress/character is cute.

And, come on, Jeff, surely you at least appreciate that those punks that tried (and failed) to kill a dog got wiped out by Mothra!

1. Legendary is awesome, whether you like it or not.

2. I know you like the rubber suit guys, hell, I just went through 2 eras of G films, all Toho, all rubber suits, and for the most part I loved them all, but Legendary will always be my true love because it just is.

3. I can respect your viewpoint, can you respect mine?
4. Yes, the scene of those assholes being taken down by the larvae was a fitting comeuppance for trying to drown an innocent animal. 100% Doom-approved.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:38 AM   #8941
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Army of the Dead (2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 01:50 PM   #8942
Space Cop
The Dandy

Rage and Honor II: Hostile Takeover (1993)

"Diamonds? What diamonds?"

A slight puzzle to this one. I got it from Netflix after watching part one, but Netflix had no record of me getting it before and I certainly don't own it (or remember it) yet when I put it in my DVD player (that has a really good playback memory) it jumped to about half way through like I had watched part of it before. Weird. Maybe I did rent it from Blockbuster or something, but I didn't think I had this player that long.

Anyway, it's alright for this type of flick (straight-to-video Cynthia Rothrock/Richard Norton actioner). The villain (who up to this point was a gun runner) plans a cartoonishly large diamond smuggle (half a billion dollars in profit)*. The banker that cooks his books then extorts him for the nice round figure of half of that (yep, he expects the gangster to pay him $250,000,000 to not copy his files). His plan boldly depends on nobody rifling through his unlocked desk in his unguarded (often empty) office at a public bank to find the unencrypted files. It actually get even more convoluted, but nothing martial arts can’t fix.

*He later announces his big plans to take a trip to Hawaii, unaware apparently that he'll basically have enough money to buy a Hawaiian island.

Quote:
1. Legendary is awesome, whether you like it or not. . . 3. I can respect your viewpoint, can you respect mine? . . .
Well, if you look again, I only said I like it more; didn't pretend it's objectively better. Actually, although I like the other 3 redesigns in GMK, seriously, their Mothra was my least favorite design (because of the stupid long legs) until G:KotM (where she looked the least like a moth than she ever has). But, yeah, even my G-Fan friends include Legendary fans and I still love my mother despite her actually liking the Tristar Godzilla.

And, hey, I own all the Legendaryverse stuff on blu ray and will get GvK too when it hits stores.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-29-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:29 PM   #8943
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

Quote:
Well, if you look again, I only said I like it more; didn't pretend it's objectively better. Actually, although I like the other 3 redesigns in GMK, seriously, their Mothra was my least favorite design (because of the stupid long legs) until G:KotM (where she looked the least like a moth than she ever has). But, yeah, even my G-Fan friends include Legendary friends and I still love my mother despite her actually like the Tristar Godzilla.
And, hey, I own all the Legendaryverse stuff on blu ray and will get GvK too when it hits stores.

Ok, I'm happy we got that all squared away, because it really bothers me to be at odds with you on anything. Especially something we enjoy so much but from different angles.

Speaking of which, I see the Kaiju thread is here (thank you whomever did that) and there are a few movie/continuity points I want to make when I have a clear head.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:50 PM   #8944
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Boy Who Cried Werewolf (2010)

"Is that a Britney Spears ringtone?
-Da. She is werewolf, you know?
Wow. That explains a lot."

A Nikolodeon TV movie I picked for this full moon. Yes, it's a kids' movie, but it was actually better than I expected (not a classic or anything) . . . kinda like a feature-length Goosebumps. It includes effects from KNB and Brooke Shields who plays a kind of ripoff of Frau Blücher from Young Frankenstein. It would be a good gateway monster film for someone wanting to share with the kids. Follows a family who inherits a Romanian castle and an awkward teen girl who accidentally gets werewolfized from a blood vial.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-28-2021 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:32 PM   #8945
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I, Claudius is amazing. I can't recommend it more highly.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:35 PM   #8946
Space Cop
The Dandy

Mr. Majestyk (1974)

"That melon picker sucked us in!"

Tubied (expiring this week) and really liked this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
I, Claudius is amazing. I can't recommend it more highly.
Yeah. And certain performances (like John Hurt as Caligula) are really impressive (though most of the actors are top notch). Definitely shows the perversity and corruption in the early empire. For historical accuracy, it's a mixed bag. Graves did his homework, so it's more period accurate than say Gladiator, but, my understanding is he probably exaggerated things like how good and clever Claudius is. Even though it's very talky, I was into it even as kid (think I first saw it on PBS reruns when I was 12 or something).

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-29-2021 at 03:25 AM.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:11 PM   #8947
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

These reviews should persuade anybody to watch it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074006...ref_=tt_ql_urv
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:27 AM   #8948
Space Cop
The Dandy

Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971)

"By the time the plague was contained, man was without pets. Of course, for man this was intolerable. I mean, he might kill his brother, but he could not kill his dog!"

This (my childhood favorite in the series) turned 50 today. Contrived though the plot is, it's pretty impressive for an era before sequels were a given and retcons common that the series managed to continue after literally destroying the whole world (a stipulation reportedly added by Charles Heston to do #2 specifically so he could prevent a #3 being made).

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-29-2021 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:24 AM   #8949
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Conan the Barbarian (1982)

"You wanna live forever?"

I never actually got around to seeing this in full before, only pieces of it sometimes on TV (although I have seen Destroyer two or three times by this point, but I should refresh my memory of that film because it's been years).

Great visuals, good acting, some good sets (despite the cannibalism, the snake temple was impressive). I used to wonder if Doom was Conan's real father and that he had metaphorically murdered his family ties to Conan, much like Darth Vader did with his previous identity of Anakin Skywalker. But then I saw the whole film and realize it was just him trying to pull a fast one on Conan.

I should really get around to watching the sequel now, and probably some cash-ins to the franchise (I hear The Barbarians is actually good, and after watching the GoodBackFlicks episode on it I'm chasing after that film currently).

Old 05-30-2021, 03:03 AM   #8950
Space Cop
The Dandy

Child's Play (2019)

"Little f**king millennials."

I know Tazz won't forgive me, but I kind of liked this one. Sure, it's not as good as the original (by a long shot) nor the top sequels, but I appreciate that they did their own thing (going the tech route instead of voodoo). I like the connectivity aspect and loved the killer teddy bear. Some good, bloody kills too. Didn't really like the design and not all the characters were great. Did we need a remake? No, but I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Conan the Barbarian (1982)...
I should really get around to watching the sequel now, and probably some cash-ins to the franchise (I hear The Barbarians is actually good, and after watching the GoodBackFlicks episode on it I'm chasing after that film currently).
The sequel is worth watching, but is such a let down compared to Barbarian, which was written by Oliver Stone and directed by the great John Milius.