Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 04-11-2021, 12:21 AM   #8826
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I take it because of the time delay and the cast that it’s not linked in anyway with the previous films? I see there’s a Baroness in it anyway and RoC made it clear SE took a vow of silence (not injured).
Yeah, it was originally supposed to be a prequel but then they decided to make it the starting point for a reboot (kinda like Bumblebee) and thus were able to do what they wanted rather than adhering to the previous continuity. It's great because they get to fix some of the wonky things they did in RoC. From the Baroness and Cobra Commander to Snake Eyes, himself, they've approached it all with a lot more care than before. Apparently they even invited Larry Hama (the original Marvel comic writer) to the set and got his blessing, which is a good sign in my book. So yeah, I'm super excited, lol.

Quote:
A friend had an extra Cobra-Island Roadblock, which he gave me and got me started. Then, my LCS had an Arctic Stormshadow (a design I didn’t have back in the day but like) so I got him. [His price was marked up but not as much as he’s going for on eBay.] The latest BBTS order includes Snake Eyes, Red Ninja, Gung Ho, standard Cobra Commander, and Profit Director Destro. So, that’s 7 so far.

I have 8 pre-ordered on BBTS including the next wave and redecos of the wave ones I missed. I really like them. My current plan is to get every character, but not every variation (e.g., I don’t think I need standard Destro or Origins Snake Eyes).

I might get a variant if they do hooded commander. Also, although the Viper appears to only by the Cobra Island exclusive (i.e. there’s no standard for me to get yet), it looks like that is out of my budget already.
That's cool. I just recently got back into collecting Joes, myself, though I've only focused on different variations of the ninjas so far with 2 Jinx, 8 Snake Eyes, and 12 Storm Shadow (one guess who my favorite character is). I also have 10 red ninjas, but they're all from the same line and match one of the Storm Shadows in design. I'm gonna set them all up sometime in the next week or so, but yeah.

I actually don't have any of the Classified line, but have considered approaching it for a full cast collection, much like you seem to be.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:29 AM   #8827
Space Cop
The Dandy

Kibakichi 2 (2004)

"No one is unneeded in this world."

OTT Yokai flick about a ronin werewolf (essentially) challenging other yokai and a mad-dog killer in a world that hates all of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
. . . I also have 10 red ninjas, but they're all from the same line and match one of the Storm Shadows in design. . .
The Classified Red Ninja is pretty cool (lots of accessories, which he can mostly carry) but is a pretty big departure. My friend Kevin from SEO Toy Review actually think it’s too big a variation, but he’s more hardcore Joe fan than I am.

Last edited by Space Cop; 04-11-2021 at 01:41 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:16 AM   #8828
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Three Billboard Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)

"Well, Officer Dixon, how about you go take a look at that first billboard and then come back here and talk to me about the motherfucking environment?"

Mildred Hayes sets up three billboards questioning the lack of results for her daughter's murder, openly challenging the respected police chief and effectively starting a war in the town over whether her criticism is acceptable.

Not gonna lie, this film is very, very dark. It is incredibly well made, the acting, sets, camera work, everything is extremely well done, but damn if it isn't dark as hell.

I do wish better had been done for Woody Harrelson's Chief Wiloughby though. I'd rather he have retired and handed the case off to his replacement so that he could spend time with his family. That's my only real complaint.

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:41 AM   #8829
Space Cop
The Dandy

Excalibur (1981)

"It is the doom of men that they forget."

40th anniversary. Have to watch the second half tomorrow due to the length and delayed start of Wrestlemania 37.

Last edited by Space Cop; 04-19-2021 at 04:04 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:33 PM   #8830
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

S1 of the boys. Im impressed

Anything you say can and will be used against you
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:08 AM   #8831
Space Cop
The Dandy

Mars Attacks! (1996)

"You wanna conquer the world, you're going to need lawyers, right?"

I didn't like this movie when I first saw it in theaters, but this is my second or so re-watch (free with very minimal ads, for me anyway, on Youtube) and I enjoy it much more than I did as a high schooler.

Last edited by Space Cop; 04-17-2021 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:21 PM   #8832
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I saw Mars Attacks when it came out, my dad took me. I didn't get some things in it, but I did enjoy it for the most part.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:33 PM   #8833
Space Cop
The Dandy

Fast Five (2011)

"Surprisingly, there were no fatalities."

10th anniversary. I really should have watched the Netflix that came in, but even its fans admits it's a very slow period drama and I was already tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
I saw Mars Attacks when it came out, my dad took me. I didn't get some things in it, but I did enjoy it for the most part.
Yeah, I don't think I hated it, but I didn't appreciate the tone back then ... possibly because I was already familiar with the card series (though I did/do not have an original set) and thought of it as kind of "serious" and gory. Now, though, I dig the humor and the influences Burton brought in.

Last edited by Space Cop; 04-16-2021 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:48 PM   #8834
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Episode 5 of falcon and winter soilder. Next week is final episode. Really great show hoping for a s2. A lot of rumours are hinting at a wolverine series. They introduced madripoor in episode 3 of this show

Old 04-16-2021, 09:50 PM   #8835
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Mortal kombat 2021._ fights were great good amount of gore really impressed with what they adapted from the games. I love this new kano who is the mvp out of the cast as well as sonya. The leaks were true. Those are my pros. My cons are no real story or threat because this is before the tournament so go into this as a prequel . Raiden and shang stung were underutilized. They tease a sequel wich i will watch. Id give it a 7 for the fun factor. If you follow the lore from mk3 this is that story . I counted 5 fatalities total in the film. I wont post spoilers till the film is out Next Friday

Last edited by TazzMission; 04-16-2021 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:14 AM   #8836
Space Cop
The Dandy

Conan the Barbarian (1982)

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just wanted to watch something manly and bloody (but not horror this time) and this is a favorite frequent re-watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
Mortal kombat 2021._ fights were great good amount of gore really impressed with what they adapted from the games. I love this new kano who is the mvp out of the cast as well as sonya. The leaks were true. Those are my pros. My cons are no real story or threat because this is before the tournament so go into this as a prequel . Raiden and shang stung were underutilized. They tease a sequel wich i will watch. Id give it a 7 for the fun factor. If you follow the lore from mk3 this is that story . I counted 5 fatalities total in the film. I wont post spoilers till the film is out Next Friday
Well, you should either start a separate thread or use the spoiler tags. Personally, I plan to see it in theater, but I know it won’t be day one.

Last edited by Space Cop; 04-17-2021 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:29 AM   #8837
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:

Well, you should either start a separate thread or use the spoiler tags. Personally, I plan to see it in theater, but I know it won’t be day one.
Gotcha. As far as i can tell you and i are the only ones talking about it so a separate thread would be pointless. As fast as this film is at like a hour and ten minutes watching it on hbo max isnt a bad way. It really depends on what you prefer. Apparently the film is doing great overseas had a huge return so hopefully we get a sequel. Cole young is a solid character for being made just for the film. They didn't over stuff it with characters like the 97 film so that was nice.I mean really its 4 villains that have the focus going after the heros

Last edited by TazzMission; 04-17-2021 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:51 AM   #8838
Space Cop
The Dandy

First Cow (2019)

"Everything is old if you look at it that way."

Very slow, but pretty good movie about western settlers—particularly an unpopular, but good trail cook and an ambitious Chinese immigrant teaming up.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:01 AM   #8839
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Coco (2017)

"Or maybe he's just a dog."

Young Miguel wants to be a musician like his forefather, but his family forbids music. Desperate, he attempts to steal the guitar of a legendary musician but is magically transported to the realm of the dead and must find a way back before it's too late.

The visual style of this film is absolutely entrancing. Story, music, acting are all good, but holy crap the style is by far the strongest element on display here and this film deserve all the praise for it.

Old 04-18-2021, 01:43 AM   #8840
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Guns of Navarone (1961)

"Anything can happen in a war. Slap in the middle of absolute insanity people pull out the most extraordinary resources: ingenuity, courage, self-sacrifice. Pity we can't meet the problems of peace in the same way, isn't it?"

My weekend dinner-and-a-movie with the folks that they DVRed from TCM. Based on a novel, it tells of a suicide-type mission about taking out large artillery guns on a small Greek island so the Navy can rescue stranded troops on another Greek island. Not the best or most realistic, but pretty good.

Quote:
Coco (2017) . . . Young Miguel wants to be a musician like his forefather, but his family forbids music. Desperate, he attempts to steal the guitar of a legendary musician but is magically transported to the realm of the dead and must find a way back before it's too late.
The visual style of this film is absolutely entrancing. Story, music, acting are all good, but holy crap the style is by far the strongest element on display here and this film deserve all the praise for it.
Yeah, I really liked it. Heard at least one Mexican say it was a decent explanation of Day of the Dead and folk belief about dead ancestors.

Last edited by Space Cop; 04-19-2021 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:46 PM   #8841
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Guns of Navarone is so damn good.

Just watched MST3K: The Undead, riffing good old Roger Corman. I remember Dark Corners reviewing this a while back so a bunch of it was familiar to me, but I agree with the YouTube comments that this film is actually not that bad (interesting premise and decent old-timey dialog, costumes are also decent).

Need to watch Touch of Satan and Robot Holocaust sometime soon.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:11 AM   #8842
Space Cop
The Dandy

Thor (2011)

"What's Myeuh-muh?"

10th anniversary.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:52 AM   #8843
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

MST3K: The Touch of Satan

"Get off the road, man-goat!"

"The only known photo of Bigfoot in a shirt."

The story of the most gullible hostage ever and the most patient father of a possessed daughter of all time. I think I have to hand today's double feature to The Undead, a vastly superior film to this.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:17 AM   #8844
Space Cop
The Dandy

G.I. Joe the Movie (1987)

"I do not like his face. Let us remove it, yes?"

Quote:
Guns of Navarone is so damn good . . .
Apparently, the main part was supposed to go to William Holden, but he asked too much money. Peck said he enjoyed the film but found it far fetched. I'd have to agree. The main mission is plausible enough, but the amount of times the team defeat, escape, or sneak past massive numbers of German soldiers is ridiculous. But it was a fun and pretty fast-paced flick.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:09 AM   #8845
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Prometheus (2012)

"We were wrong."

Occasionally I need to be reminded why this is in my top 10 films of all time.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:15 AM   #8846
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Substitute (1996)

"I'm the warrior chief."

Wanted to re-watch this before it disappears from Tubi (I'll get all 3 one day) and the 25th anniversary was a good excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Prometheus (2012) . . . Occasionally I need to be reminded why this is in my top 10 films of all time.
I agree with the critics about the plot holes (how stupid they are to touch an alien biologic unprotected and not to run sideways from a rolling object; the alien iconography before the xenos are supposed to exist), but it has a lot of style and I love David as a character (particularly that his favorite film--reference in Covenant too--is one of mine).

Last edited by Space Cop; 04-20-2021 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:18 AM   #8847
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Quote:
The Substitute (1996)
"I'm the warrior chief."

Wanted to re-watch this before it disappears from Tubi (I'll get all 3 one day) and the 25th anniversary was a good excuse.
There's actually 4 of those. I own them all on Vudu.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:31 AM   #8848
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I agree with the critics about the plot holes (how stupid they are to touch an alien biologic unprotected and not to run sideways from a rolling object; the alien iconography before the xenos are supposed to exist), but it has a lot of style and I love David as a character (particularly that his favorite film--reference in Covenant too--is one of mine).

The main thing I like about this film is that it leads to numerous questions...one of which I can use to address your idea about the alien iconography. Do we even know who made the black stuff in the first place? I mean, the very first scene is an engineer freely drinking the stuff from a ship that basically just dropped it off. Did the engineers make it? Did some other species make it and then hand it over to the engineers? Clearly, somebody knew about it, hence the reliefs in the "egg room" with the huge humanoid head. I don't think even Ridley Scott has any idea, but that's what is profound about his films in general...questions that always seem to linger.

Which leads to tonight's viewing of:

Alien: Covenant (2017)

"When one note is off, it eventually destroys the whole symphony, David."

A true gut turner from the start. Whereas Prometheus raised questions, this film raises contradictions. Why bother with face hugger eggs when you can just inhale microbe spores that have the same effect? If David landed here, then who landed on LV-426? We need one more film to tie this storyline into the events of the Nostromos. Come on, Ridley, get off your butt!
Old 04-20-2021, 11:45 AM   #8849
Space Cop
The Dandy

[Rifftrax:] Thor (2011)

"Molly Hatchet record cover to the rescue."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
There's actually 4 of those. I own them all on Vudu.
I just found that out this morning when I went to put the DVDs in my Amazon wish list. I am not caught up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
. . . Alien: Covenant (2017) . . . If David landed here, then who landed on LV-426? We need one more film to tie this storyline into the events of the Nostromos. Come on, Ridley, get off your butt!
I thought there was a bit of dialogue about Shaw and David leaving and landing on the other planet?

The thing about the spores is valid enough, but no worse a plot hole than the humans being unable to run sideways in P. Besides, you could just say that David needed to test the next stage of xeno-evolution.

I do agree, however, that the story still needs a connection. Not sure we’ll ever get it, but it’s not complete. IIRC, Ridley wanted a trilogy of P films to set up the Nostromos receiving the call and A:C was a concession to him not getting that.

Last edited by Space Cop; 04-22-2021 at 03:07 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:03 PM   #8850
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

If there ever is another Alien prequel, there needs to be a hard rule before production starts that the film's first hour not be a rehash of the previous film. That's part of what made Covenant such a slog for me.