Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 03-02-2021, 03:56 AM   #26
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
Right now I'm watching firemen knock down a fire in a vacant business on Sepulveda Boulevard. Several vacant businesses nearby are going to suffer major smoke damage.

I'm told that a homeless woman started it. It's a warm day, so she was probably smoking tobacco or something worse.

They've got to be taken off the streets. It's not even cheaper to leave them out there, let alone is it humane.
That's an aspect that doesn't get the attention that it should. Yes, it sounds cold and calculating, but for onlookers who might be very individualistic, it could strike a chord that the altruistic aspect doesn't. The facts are that when humans are left to the elements, they'll engage in behaviors that inevitably cost society more than those same individuals getting supportive services.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:56 PM   #27
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
That's an aspect that doesn't get the attention that it should. Yes, it sounds cold and calculating, but for onlookers who might be very individualistic, it could strike a chord that the altruistic aspect doesn't. The facts are that when humans are left to the elements, they'll engage in behaviors that inevitably cost society more than those same individuals getting supportive services.
If it's costing you more money to be a jerk than it would to behave decently, then it's difficult to defend your attitude.

Some of the costs imposed by the homeless are indirect. Their presence harms everyone's quality of life and wrecks property values.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-02-2021 at 02:58 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:55 PM   #28
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Should a person have to live outdoors because he's a moron?

An awful lot of people think so, but I disagree with that.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:24 PM   #29
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

BTW, I've gotten jobs for a couple of those people, who were obviously not morons and who seemed like nice guys. They've done well in them.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:28 AM   #30
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I don't know how I became a do-gooder. This is what usually happens to such people. It's called The Do-Badder and written by the only person who could have written it, John Meston. Check it out before CBS takes it down.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7zgmo8
Old 03-16-2021, 03:06 PM   #31
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

These cases are confidential, so I'm not told how they turn out. But I believe they brought that guy indoors, because I haven't seen him around there for a while. I'm told he had been on the streets for at least seven years.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:13 PM   #32
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Well, no they didn't because I just saw him. I think they got most or all of those others in though.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:46 PM   #33
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

It's hard to keep any particular area clear of them. And not because more and more people are becoming homeless. It's because water seeks its own level. If there are two lakes and one is at a higher elevation, and you connect them with a channel, water will flow from higher lake to the lower one.

That is, when an area becomes free of the homeless, some who have been living in areas that are crowded with them will tend to move into the newly cleared areas. They have more choices about where to live there, and they can get away from people they don't like.

I've gotten several areas clear of them, and have been surprised to see chronically homeless people -- those whose clothing and so forth show that they've been outdoors for a long time -- show up there before long.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-05-2021 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:46 PM   #34
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I think they finally did get that guy into a room.

And some tents that had been up FOREVER have disappeared.

Something that's shocked me about this though is that at least two-thirds of them resist the idea of moving into free rooms. I thought they'd all jump at the chance.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:07 PM   #35
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Around here, anyway, some of the resistance comes because to get a free room you often have to basically ditch most of your belongings. At least, that's what I read in an article in the local paper.

So the implication was that people that are used to living on the street might be unwilling to give the shelters a shot because if they don't like it, it will be more difficult to go back to what they were doing.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:48 PM   #36
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Around here, anyway, some of the resistance comes because to get a free room you often have to basically ditch most of your belongings. At least, that's what I read in an article in the local paper.

So the implication was that people that are used to living on the street might be unwilling to give the shelters a shot because if they don't like it, it will be more difficult to go back to what they were doing.
I know about a few who have had nothing but the clothes they were wearing and still wouldn't do it.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:54 PM   #37
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Two more things I've learned about the homeless.

-- If you're looking for them, which is what I do, you should look in the vicinity of public toilets.

-- However many of them you think there are, there are a lot more of them than that.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:24 PM   #38
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

More of them are drug addicts than I had suspected. Quite a few of them who are refusing to come indoors know they won't be able to do their drugs in those rooms.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:09 PM   #39
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I'm noticing some new arrivals here in the San Fernando Valley who look like they've been homeless for a long time. I suspect that some of them are coming from Venice Beach and are fleeing from the sheriff.

It's easy for them to get around Los Angeles County now because the bus service has been free for the past year, in response to Covid-19.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/ten...apd-territory/
Old 06-14-2021, 12:18 PM   #40
Space Cop
The Dandy

Bug infestations, tent-lined streets: California's homelessness crisis is at a tipping point. Will a $12B plan put a dent in it?
Old 06-14-2021, 05:53 PM   #41
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

The guy who was talking about "an exit from homelessness" has got it wrong. Almost all of these people will never make enough money to pay for a home. Especially the old ones, the drug addicts and those who are severely mentally ill or intellectually handicapped. They're unemployable. They just need housing. Permanent housing, not temporary housing.

It just shows that he's never actually dealt with any of them.

Most homeless people would have been factory workers at one time, but thanks to the globalization that LIBERALS like the Clintons were so giddy about, capitalists like Steve "Outsource" Jobs moved that employment to countries where they could pay the laborers a bowl of rice every day.

That's how we got here.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:40 PM   #42
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Yang is going to catch some flak for this but he's not wrong. The bigger issue though is that everybody should have a right to housing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...qgJ?li=BBnbfcL
Old 07-24-2021, 06:01 PM   #43
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Now this is terrible. And it'll make the job of outreach people even harder to do.

But if you think about it a little, you'll realize how many homeless people have to be drug addicts for the guy to make money by doing this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...id=hplocalnews