The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 04-19-2021, 03:51 PM   #1
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Default The Mortal kombat 2021 movie thread

I saw a copy online. Fun film it has some flaws like no real story and is pre tournament think of it as a prequel. Starting with the flaws shang stung and raiden are under used to where its almost criminal. No real threat and the trailers pretty much is the film. The pros fatalities are awesome and was glad to see they were pulled off with a purpose instead of being gore candy just to be there even though theres around 5 total that i counted 3 of them are ripped from the games so im glad they made them work. Mvp of the cast is kano the second being sonya. Scorpion and sub zero amazing . Cole young is cool i want more of his character fleshed out because they can go anywhere with his character. If your looking at this as a fun popcorn flick and know what mortal kombat is i say see it. If your expecting some oscar winning performance for a fighting video game film you wont like it. It does set up a sequel and certain Hollywood fans will be giddy at a tease so i want more and rate mortal kombat 2021 a 7. Also give me a shaolin monks film as a buddy film with kung lao and liu kang

Thank you fuck you bye

Last edited by TazzMission; 04-19-2021 at 04:00 PM.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:19 AM   #2
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

It doesn't come out until Friday so I haven't seen it, yet.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:46 AM   #3
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
It doesn't come out until Friday so I haven't seen it, yet.
Its a fast film it dosent drag. Runs around a hour and ten minutes.Im assuming itll do well so fingers crossed for a sequel wich i assume will be the tournament. Your going to have lore purists nitpick things but imo mortal kombat never had a continuing canon like say the mcu. I mean shit in mortal kombat 4 in 97 Johnny cage became a god in his ending in 2011 by rebooting the series they scraped it. As i said in the original post i hate how trailers pretty much show the entire film let a lone the ending. I still plan on another watch Friday. You have 1 character from mk4 and another from deadly Alliance. I wont say who and no cole young is not Johnny cage so i want to put that to rest before people ask

Thank you fuck you bye

Last edited by TazzMission; 04-20-2021 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:41 PM   #4
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
...Your going to have lore purists nitpick things but imo mortal kombat never had a continuing canon like say the mcu. I mean shit in mortal kombat 4 in 97 Johnny cage became a god in his ending in 2011 by rebooting the series they scraped it...
That's true. It was officially rebooted in #9, but earlier games retconned stuff or just didn't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
Space cop did you watch mortal kombat
Nope. I'm planning to see it in theater, but can't do it today. Hopefully next week. Early reviews I saw are bad (but if I could endure Anihiliation in theaters, I can watch this one):

Bad Reboot Delivers Brutal Fatality to the Future of Video Game Movies

Mortal Kombat Review: This Underwhelming Video Game Adaptation is Anything But a Flawless Victory
Old 04-23-2021, 05:14 PM   #5
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
That's true. It was officially rebooted in #9, but earlier games retconned stuff or just didn't care.

Nope. I'm planning to see it in theater, but can't do it today. Hopefully next week. Early reviews I saw are bad (but if I could endure Anihiliation in theaters, I can watch this one):

Bad Reboot Delivers Brutal Fatality to the Future of Video Game Movies

Mortal Kombat Review: This Underwhelming Video Game Adaptation is Anything But a Flawless Victory
This film is for mortal kombat fans so i ignore reviews who never touched a single game or knew any lore and this isnt suppose to be Oscar or academy awards worthy. Its just fun entertainment like kong vs godzilla. Yes theres some flaws but for a 50 million dollar budget it did well for me. Appearently joe talsim aka sub zero signed on for 5 sequels. Oh its better than annihilation its not even close to it. The writer and director are first timers at doing films so youll see certain parts that are odd with a particular camera shot and i think thats a important thing to know going in. I still think my 7 review is accurate in terms of scoring it. After getting a 100 percent better stream the pit stage was in the film wich looked amazing. Fingers crossed for the dead pool arena and living Forrest in the future

Thank you fuck you bye

Last edited by TazzMission; 04-23-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-24-2021, 02:33 AM   #6
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

I watched it today and enjoyed it for the most part. It got just as much wrong as the first film, but it got so much more right that it almost seems like a masterpiece in comparison. That said, the best way I could think to describe it without spoilers is that it basically pulls a Resident Evil, insomuch that it takes place before the first game story and introduces a new character to follow throughout it. I would venture a guess that the sequel (if one gets made) will be much like RE Apocalypse, insomuch that it takes this new character and inserts them into a variation of game story. All that said, it was still a great visual adaptation with plenty of bloody good fun, so I liked it.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:01 AM   #7
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
I watched it today and enjoyed it for the most part. It got just as much wrong as the first film, but it got so much more right that it almost seems like a masterpiece in comparison. That said, the best way I could think to describe it without spoilers is that it basically pulls a Resident Evil, insomuch that it takes place before the first game story and introduces a new character to follow throughout it. I would venture a guess that the sequel (if one gets made) will be much like RE Apocalypse, insomuch that it takes this new character and inserts them into a variation of game story. All that said, it was still a great visual adaptation with plenty of bloody good fun, so I liked it.
People are shiting on cole but i actually like new characters even in the games . People will always find something to bitch about. That kung lao fatality was literally ripped from i think mk 2011 aka mk9. Jaxs is from mk 11 wich is more a brutality titled thunder clap. If you know your lore you know where there taking bi han next. I cant stress enough of how gorgeous the opening scene is. It felt like a old Japanese samurai film. I also liked how hanzo speaks Japanese and bi han speaks Chinese. I feel it adds to the characters knowing they really are 2 different waring clans. I also heard the blood is all cgi and not practical effects. Movie had a 50 million dollar budget . Also a ton of easter eggs like shinnoks amulet, kitanas fans, a small paper article of nightwolf in sonyas place as well as a picture of kotal khan from the current games mkx and mk11. I hope we get kenshi, ashra , kitana, fujin, for the heros wile for the villains id love to get tanya, shao khan, erron black, sareena for the sequels . And for the record im avoiding other names to prevent possible spoilers for people who haven't seen it yet

Thank you fuck you bye

Last edited by TazzMission; 04-24-2021 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #8
Space Cop
The Dandy

'Mortal Kombatí Is A KO For HBO Max, Says Samba TV
Old 04-28-2021, 02:14 AM   #9
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Yea i believe they will break even or make a little more. If they do a sequel keep the budget the same at 50 million.Mortal kombat dosent need a avengers budget. Keep it small and simple. The miz petitioned to be Johnny Cage. Personally i would have casted Charlie cox but i saw some solid fan art of miz as Johnny Cage at mortalkombatonline.Com. People shit on it but you know what think of it as army of darkness in terms of cheesyness wich isnt a bad comparison

Thank you fuck you bye
Old 04-29-2021, 04:55 PM   #10
Space Cop
The Dandy

Might be able to see it tomorrow afternoon.

In the meantime, a joke reference from Reynolds:

Ryan Reynolds Responded to 'Mortal Kombat' Fans Who Want Him to Play Johnny Cage

Old 05-02-2021, 08:17 PM   #11
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Might be able to see it tomorrow afternoon.

In the meantime, a joke reference from Reynolds:

Ryan Reynolds Responded to 'Mortal Kombat' Fans Who Want Him to Play Johnny Cage

Not against it but id rather see charlie cox from marvel's daredevil as johnny cage . Id love to see tanya as well with her Egyptian look from mk x. Find a Egyptian actress for the role. Mk2 is official so i just hope they dont annihilation it. Do a slow build. Id love a spinoff regarding king jeroth fall of edenia where sindel marries shao khan. They also can do shaloin monks with liu kang and kung lao

Thank you fuck you bye

Last edited by TazzMission; 05-03-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:57 PM   #12
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I watched it and I have to say, despite the cringiness of omitting Johnny Cage because he's white, the movie ended up being far better than any video game movie has any right to be. It was solidly entertaining, which is more than I can say for 90% of what Hollywood pushes out these days.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:28 PM   #13
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I watched it and I have to say, despite the cringiness of omitting Johnny Cage because he's white, the movie ended up being far better than any video game movie has any right to be. It was solidly entertaining, which is more than I can say for 90% of what Hollywood pushes out these days.
I agree. People forget this isnt meant to be the next godfather. Its enjoyable to see a film for fun. Like kong v godzilla wich i still have to watch. I truly believe with being spoiled by the mcu people expecgt other franchises to follow that formula. Take dark universe wich died after tom cruises mummy. At least with mk they have tons of lore to use

Thank you fuck you bye
Old 05-05-2021, 05:31 PM   #14
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Yeah this is in line with GvK. A big dumb fun popcorn movie. Just turn your brain off and enjoy and forget about the stupidity of our world for 2 hours. Fun time!
Old 05-05-2021, 05:50 PM   #15
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Yeah this is in line with GvK. A big dumb fun popcorn movie. Just turn your brain off and enjoy and forget about the stupidity of our world for 2 hours. Fun time!
This is where i tell people my aspergers is a gift because im already invisioning how to bring the dead pool stage to life where the pool is acid and you can knock people into it. I hope the pit returns because thats where jax fights reiko. Now since joe taslim signed on for 4 more films and you know the lore he becomes noob saibot. Id love a fall of shinnok spinoff. Hes the elder god bad guy from mk 4

Thank you fuck you bye

Last edited by TazzMission; 05-05-2021 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:32 PM   #16
Space Cop
The Dandy

I'd like to get more of the animated Legends movies.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:38 PM   #17
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I'd like to get more of the animated Legends movies.
We should since scorpions revenge did well in sales and response from fans

Thank you fuck you bye
Old 05-22-2021, 01:34 PM   #18
Space Cop
The Dandy

Saw it Thursday night. I donít think I disliked this as much as the friend who let me use his HBO Max account to watch it at home, but I didnít like it as much as Tazz either. Itís pretty disappointing that they didnít do the tournament and made up an unnecessary character (Cole felt very generic to me and could easily been replaced with a real MK character). Also, Outworld and most of the setpieces (except the training arena) were boring. A bigger budget could've helped there so Outworld wasn't just a desert and Shang Tsung's throne a piece of rock overhang.

The fatalities were good and they used the R rating well.

And, yeah, the opening bit was very well done.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:09 AM   #19
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Saw it Thursday night. I don’t think I disliked this as much as the friend who let me use his HBO Max account to watch it at home, but I didn’t like it as much as Tazz either. It’s pretty disappointing that they didn’t do the tournament and made up an unnecessary character (Cole felt very generic to me and could easily been replaced with a real MK character). Also, Outworld and most of the setpieces (except the training arena) were boring. A bigger budget could've helped there so Outworld wasn't just a desert and Shang Tsung's throne a piece of rock overhang.

The fatalities were good and they used the R rating well.

And, yeah, the opening bit was very well done.
To be fair thats only one part of outworld. As i said before the original mk3 story is rules being broken and shao khan invades. There working backwards and switched shao khan to shang stung. I Wouldn't be surprised if shao khan dies in the tournament in the sequel like shaolin monks wich story wise is after mk1 and before mk2 and to set up shinnok since hes a fallen elder god

Thank you fuck you bye

Last edited by TazzMission; 05-23-2021 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:22 AM   #20
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

I actually really enjoyed this. The Raiden and Shang Tsung actors were fairly... unremarkable, though. They should do better.

Apparently Ryan Reynolds is the frontrunner for Johnny Cage in part 2 if it happens?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:21 PM   #21
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
. . . The Raiden and Shang Tsung actors were fairly... unremarkable, though. They should do better . . .
I agree, but at least Raiden (my favorite MK character) looked good ... both the outfit and lightning effects.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-23-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:11 PM   #22
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I actually really enjoyed this. The Raiden and Shang Tsung actors were fairly... unremarkable, though. They should do better.

Apparently Ryan Reynolds is the frontrunner for Johnny Cage in part 2 if it happens?
I would cast charlie cox as cage. He has that punchable face and id like to see more of his acting range. Im calling it now kano isnt dead im guessing he will get his metal plate for his eye in the sequel

Thank you fuck you bye