Announcement

Collapse

The point of this Forum Section

Some members are a little iffy on what should go in the Games & Humor forum section so.

Trivial games like "the person above you game" should be placed in this forum.

Humor of all kinds also belongs here, like the "Superman has a problem with kinky sex" thread.

What does not belong here would be things like video games, board games. Or humor coming directly out of comic books or discussion of books.

Boardgames and the like would go in the Action Figure and Toys section as could video games, though those could also be posted in the General Forum Section.

also any posts in this Forum Section do not count towards your post count.

Hope that helps!
See more
See less

August 30 Day Comic Book Stuff Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I'd marry Wonder Woman, fuck Zatanna and kill Emma Frost because she's an awful person (usually)

Comment

• August 20 – Best or favorite comic book character origin story

August 21 – Pair two superheroes for a buddy cop type of film (you can mix & match characters from DC, Marvel, etc).

August 22 – Top 3 (and only 3) comic book characters you have a crush on (needed for tomorrow’s topic)
      No one, really, but for topic’s sake:

August 23 – Based on your Top 3 characters you’re crushing on, please identify each character with the following: (1) Fuck, (2) Marry, (3) Kill
      1. Chloe Bennett's Daisy Johnson (Quake)
      2. Lynda Carter’s Wonder Woman
      3. Olivia Munn's Psylocke

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post

Wait a minute, you're going to marry the former criminal who is a self-proclaimed b***h and who can read your mind 24/7? You must be a masochist . . . or really patient for leggy blondes.

She has murdered people, but so has Wonder Woman. It's about who I'd be most happy with and with Emma, I know what I'm getting and the good just outweighs the bad. If I could change my list, I'd probably take Zatanna off and put Sue Storm on and marry her. She's like the perfect blend of Emma and Diana.

Comment

• August 24 – What retcon or event made you quit reading comics or want to quit reading comics?

I didn't quit Marvel right away, but the beginning of the end for me was when they had Tony Stark go evil and become a murderer in Avengers, which led into the ridiculous teenage Tony Stark arc. I cut down my Marvel titles, and later turned the light out leaving Marvel's room when I dropped Daredevil, which has always been my 'first to pick up, last to drop' gateway Marvel title. And other than a few trades and hardcovers, I never went back.

Comment

• August 24 – What retcon or event made you quit reading comics or want to quit reading comics?

I definitely stopped caring about continuity after Flashpoint. There was a point where Bat-Editor Mike Marts had everything as simple as could be and then Flashpoint came soon after and I just had to take the "If they don't care, I shouldn't care" approach.

I've never just wanted to quit reading comics but for the last few months before Rebirth, I wasn't reading any. The X-books at Marvel are terrible and the few other characters I care about there (FF, Punisher, Iron Man) are also going through uninteresting stories or just not being used at all. Still, there's never been that one thing to make me stop reading. Even when DC just ignored my favorite character and then shunned him and then wrote him out of existence.

Comment

It was never an event per se. I quit Marvel in the late 90s (with a couple exceptions like Wheddon's X-Men and Ennis' Punisher) basically because I didn't care anymore and knew that I always cared more for DC.

Just before the turn of the century, I quit all comics, but this was basically motivated by being a college and grad student and not having the money. Green Lantern was the final hold-out (and my first to restart). The last straw for me that made me quit altogether was Judd Winick on GL. I hated his run and quit all comics for a while.

But, I came back and filled in those issues (reluctantly, for completion's sake). I've never been seriously tempted to quit again. I was definitely upset and leery for the New 52 and there are still many things I dislike about it, but in the end, I guess it worked on me because I decided to start collecting a lot of titles I didn't before just because I could start from #1.

Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 08-24-2016, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• The closest I came to quitting was when Geoff decided to retcon the Guardians as being evil (and always having been so), and gave Sinestro a GL ring and turned him into Mary Sue-nestro.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                  August 24 – What retcon or event made you quit reading comics or want to quit reading comics?

The Amazing Spider-Man's One Moment In Time caused me not to read ASM for at least a year. I was really upset that they retcon Peter and MJ's marriage.
                  You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Hal losing his mind, beating GL's and taking their rings and leaving them floating in space, vaporizing Kilowog, snapping Sinestro's neck and absorbing the CPB. Even with the retcon and Parallax infestation explanation, all of the aforementioned actions were so far out of character that I was disgusted. Even though Kyle was a good character, a good GL and his story was interesting, he wasn't Hal, so I was done with GL for a long stretch.

Comment

• ^Looking back on it, I don't know why it didn't bother me more then. Now, I hate that it happened. At the time, I remember being upset that he was going to fall, but when the actual issues came out, I remember still having hope for Kyle and Parallax (a friend and I even wrote a letter to DC to that effect right after finishing #50). I remember trying to justify it with the fact that I loved the powers (especially constructs) more than Hal, but in hindsight that's not quite true.

I certainly wish it never happened. Maybe part of it was just resignation to the situation. Maybe I thought they'd undo it fast like they did with Batman's breaking and Superman's death.They could've even depleted the Corps (like they did for Crisis) and introduced Kyle as an untrained rookie without crapping all over Hal's legacy and character.
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 08-24-2016, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• I'm gonna choose the first two characters that pop up in my brain

Tim Drake and Kate Bishop

Comment

• August 25 – Play match maker. Match a Marvel character with a DC character in a romantic relationship.

Apparently, someone beat me to it, but I'm going with GL Ch'p and Squirrel Girl.

Comment

• August 25 – Play match maker. Match a Marvel character with a DC character in a romantic relationship.

This is particularly hard because all of the great heroes in DC are pretty much locked up in terms of love life.

Dr. Strange and Zatanna, I guess.

Comment

• August 26 – Someone approaches about getting into comic books. What tips, advice and suggestions would you give this person?

What genre/type of story are you most interested in? How's your tolerance for superheroes? If Good, then recommend story based on genre and character best suited. If Bad, then recommend (likely) indie title that fits into that genre.

Comment

• August 26 – Someone approaches about getting into comic books. What tips, advice and suggestions would you give this person?

First off, I would ask why they're coming to me and re-iterate that I have no insider info on this. My second thought would be just to get some stuff out there that professionals might become aware of, like webcomics and indie publishing.

Originally posted by W.West View Post
                                This is particularly hard because all of the great heroes in DC are pretty much locked up in terms of love life.

Dr. Strange and Zatanna, I guess.
                                Funny, this was my thought process exactly and that was the couple I was going to go with until I decided on the joke instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X