No announcement yet.

The Doctor Who Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you who have Instant Netflix, all their Doctor Who stuff is expiring at the end of the month. They don't have a lot of classic Who (maybe a dozen plus stories), but their NuWho stuff was only a season behind. Sad to see all the stuff I haven't yet got on DVD to be lost.

Since I've been in a Doctor mood lately, I re-watched "The Three Doctors" and am now re-watching "The Day of the Doctor" (the 50th anniversary). I'll probably alternate like that until I lose the mood or run out of time.

Comment

• It's stupid of Netflix to let Doctor Who expire.
      Time,Space and Will Power

Comment

• ^Yeah, it has such a back catalog and it's a continuing popular show (cult fave anyway). It would be good of them to keep it around just like they do Trek (for now, fingers crossed).

Comment

• Doctor Who gets lengthy sabbatical as showrunner Steven Moffat quits

Doctor Who fans prepare to be bitterly disappointed: you won't be getting your timey-wimey fix this year, because season 10 won't hit our screens until 2017, the BBC has confirmed.

The reason? Long-running showrunner Steven Moffat has run out of puff. He will pass the baton (OK, Sonic Screwdriver) to Chris Chibnall—the creator of ITV's gripping whodunnit, Broadchurch—who will take over the iconic British sci-fi drama at the start of season 11.

The BBC, which fiendishly buried this news late on Friday night in the hope that no-one would notice, has promised a Christmas Day special, but that will be the first and only time a new episode of the much-loved show will appear on the TV this year.

Whovians may recall that the last time we saw the Doctor was on a date with his wife, River Song. The Time Lord explained that a night on Darillium lasted 24 years. Who knew that this translated as an entire year on planet Earth though, eh?

Moffat—who replaced Russel T. Davies in 2010—will leave Doctor Who after six years heading up the production, during which time he oversaw Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi as the eleventh and twelfth Doctors, as well as the sci-fi's 50th anniversary special in 2013, starring John Hurt.

"At the start of season 11, Chris Chibnall will become the new showrunner of Doctor Who. And I will be thrown in a skip," Moffat jovially said.
          Further Reading

Chibnall, as tends to be the tradition on Doctor Who, won't be stepping on to the TARDIS cold-footed, however. To date, he has written five episodes of the drama. His first—42—was penned during Davies' reign. Additionally, Chibnall wrote seven episodes of Torchwood. Could we at last see the return of Captain Jack Harkness?

Meanwhile, will Moffat's final series—set to air in Spring 2017—go out with a bang? Chibnall says it will. One can't help but wonder, then, if a new showrunner will bring with it a new Doctor. Or, indeed, might Capaldi's Doctor regenerate much sooner than that?

One thing is clear in answer to all of these questions: we'll have a long wait to find out.

This post originated on Ars Technica UK

Comment

• Yo.

Deadpool is dancing a jig right now I bet.....

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
            Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Yeah you know he is.

Comment

• I'm pretty hopeful myself. I just want a break from these complicated, don't-know-what's-going-on, season-spanning stories and a return to simple, episodic stories.

Comment

• I keep hearing that when he leaves Capaldi will leave to but I hope he stays at least one season past Moffat. I would like to see what he does.

And you're right about it being complicated or in my opinion just lazy. I was fine that Gallifrey was lost and that it was a big deal to find it. But then all of a sudden it's back no big deal. Not to mention that they made such a big to do about the Doctor taking billions of years to get there. But to him it didn't take that long since he was a "new" version every time he materialized. And don't get me started on the whole Me and Clara stealing a TARDIS ugg.

Comment

• Time,Space and Will Power

Comment

• ^That's pretty cool. I think they did a good job with his wig. I watched a fair amount of episodes with no clue about that before I learned it and even since I did I don't really think about it when I watch a first doctor episode.

Comment

• I just got Tom Baker's autograph. I had to order it from his website but it's personalized and awesome.

Comment

• ^Very cool.

Comment

• Yo.

so, did any1 else catch this:

+ YouTube Video
                            ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

??

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                            Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• I've been trying to ignore it but I am interested now that I've seen the Doctor in it.

Comment

• I feel a real draw to see every Doctor Who available (even though I haven't yet), but I really don't care about the spin-offs.

Comment

Working...
                                X