No announcement yet.

OP's Gunpla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of curiosity...do you guys airbrush, or brush by hand? Also, which paints do you prefer? (Especially for hand brushing.)
    The last fan of 1990s comics
    Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

• I do a bit of everything, I use Krylon Brilliant Silver (spray can) for all my models as primer. I find it works better than regular primer as it won't darken the top coats. Also if you're going to do metallic looks the silver being a metallic paint is a great base, just apply transparent colored paints on top. For main coats again I use spray cans unless I need a color I can't find and have to mix myself for which I will use an airbrush. Airbrushes are also good for detailing like preshading and the like.

For fine detail though hand brushing is your only real option. I use a mix of paints for hand brushing. I have tons of Painters brand paint markers which I dribble out in a paint dish and dip my brushes in. I have several gallons of Krylon paint in regular cans (not spray) for mixing up my own custom colors. I also have small bottles of Testors and Mr. Color paints, the Mr. Color is mostly Clear paints for doing metallic looks or coloring clear parts.

If you're going to get a airbrush, buy a full set that has the gun, and compressor together, sometimes you will find really cheap guns on Amazon and their crap because they require custom hose connectors that are hard to come by. Also don't get a Suction Feed airbrush, their not much better than spray cans as far as control. Get a internal mix dual action gravity feed gun. You will spend around $180-$250 on that but in the long run its worth it. You will also need a cleaning station, its basically a can with a port in it to stick the airbrush nozzle to spray thinner though it to clean it after use. I just use a old empty paint can though.

Also a paint booth. Now you can go spend several hundred dollars to buy a table top paint booth. But there is no point. Here are the instructions to make your own Cheap and Simple.

#1 You need a plastic clothes tote like this

#2 Then you will need a Bathroom Wall Exhaust Fan (Home Depot and Lowes are best places to find these)

#3 Finally you will need some air filters (Again Lowes or Home Depot maybe Walmart)

To assemble its fairly easy cut a hole inside the bottom of the tote to fit the exhaust fan, I would recommend bolting a couple small pieces of wood inside and out in order to support the weight, then all you have to do is run a extension cord to the plug on the fan (most have them) and a exhaust hose from the fans out port out a window, and place the air filter inside the tote in front of the fan.

Total investment should be around $80 depending on the brand of the fan you buy, it will be the most expensive part.

Darth_Andrea
      Darth_Andrea
      Owned by Natu
      Last edited by Darth_Andrea; 04-23-2013, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• Cool, thanks! I've been thinking of making a spray hood, but our windows sit above our heaters. There's nowhere to stick an exhaust hose without it sitting directly atop a heater, and that's bad.

Comment

• So I decided to make something...

The yellow is a glow in the dark paint

And before the weathering

Comment

• New Gundam series this fall!

Gundam Build Fighters TV Anime to Premiere in October

Awesome custom, BTW, Zander. Sorry I didn't see it sooner.

Comment

• So they're still going after that kid market, hmm better hope it's not a failure like AGE was, still even Gundam X had crap ratings too, but that show was great.

Still when you aim your show at kids and it doesn't work you better make sure you get it right the next time, looks like they have gone for the no shame Pokemon/Beyblade model. Well if that don't work then nothing will. They also pretty much turned Gunpla Builders Beginning G into a full show. That's what I thought it was at first, I'm like wait, I already saw this show announced and released ages ago.

The only plus, will be seeing all those Gundams and Suits fighting one another from different shows.

Still far more interested in Origin and G-Reko, whenever they show up, which in Unicorns case, might mean we are waiting till 2015.

THE MEN CALLED STING

Comment

• front the new line of HG's based on the series ..

1/144 Gundam X Maou

HG 1/144 Build Strike Gundam Full Package

And for the First time in HG 1/144 XXXG-01W Wing Gundam

Darth_Andrea

Comment

• Holy SHIT. I know a kitbashed Strike Gundam when I see one.

Comment

• That's kinda the point the series is like Builder G. People using Models OOB or customs to battle kinda pokemon style from what the preview shows.

Darth_Andrea

Comment

• + YouTube Video
                      ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

• Comment

• Nice poses.

THE MEN CALLED STING

Comment

• How 'bout a little head?

Comment

• So....just gonna copy/paste this from a thread on RangerBoard

I used to build a lot og Gunpla back when you could get the Wing and G-Gundam kist from WalMart, but stopped when all my kits were smashed when someone broke into my folks house.

I have been painting my friend's and roommate's kits of oh recently.

Some 10 years later, after my kits being smashed, I started getting back into building them myself. The first was a custom idea i had in the back of my head.

and just yesterday, I finished up my new kit.

Comment

• Nice weathering!

Comment

Working...
                                X