X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tazer View Post

Tazer
    You've got me thinking of Horrible Bosses. I do love some of Johns' work, but I can't stand his fanboys, they drive me crazy. Especially when they rave about his (okay) Flash in comparison to the (GODLY AND UNBEATABLE) Mark Waid run. I love his run from Rebirth to Blackest Night, and I love Darkseid War. That mostly covers it.

I personally would die happy if Jim Starlin wrote for a Green Lantern title. Johns would be forgotten by everyone imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
      I'm a HUGE Flash Gordon mark! Love that movie! I know it's awful, but it's still so good in many ways.

I've wanted a Flash Gordon remake of that movie for years, but stretched out into a trilogy. The failure of the John Carter movie kind of killed that, but I'd still love for it to happen. The 1980 Flash Gordon movie was fun and full of the kind of heroism lacking in so many modern adventure movies.
      Ugh. Don't get me started on Carter. There was so much potential there. The spfx were actually decent and Woola came out great, it's just so lacking for a great property.

Originally posted by KilowogsDisciple View Post
      HELL yeah! I have that on vhs, not sure there's ever been a decent dvd release (I need to look it up now). . .

There's a blu ray release now, but the DVD release I have^ is great. It includes art (a great flip-up box) by and the interview with (I referred to) Alex Ross (an FG super fan).

Comment

• I upgraded my vhs to this dvd version you are showing. The Alex Ross love affair featurette was nice too.

I actually have the FG Queen soundtrack on CD in my vehicle console right now. It's part of my current rotation.

Comment

• I found the dvd, looking for the CD on Amazon. Psyched about both, my VHS player has seen better days.

Comment

• The music on the CD is interlaced with the dialogue from the movie. Normally I hate when they do this (like they do on Max Steiner's score on the 1933 King Kong soundtrack CD), but with Flash Gordon it is actually kind of cool. The movie isn't far removed from rock opera anyway. I like to listen to it on the way to work sometimes.

Comment

• Originally posted by KilowogsDisciple View Post
              I found the dvd, looking for the CD on Amazon. Psyched about both, my VHS player has seen better days.
              I have to keep my VCR running because I still have 180+ VHS I haven't upgraded and some are not available on DVD/BD or aren't available in that version (for instance an English-dubbed Godzilla 1985 I recently got from eBay). If it died, I'd get another.

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
              The music on the CD is interlaced with the dialogue from the movie. Normally I hate when they do this (like they do on Max Steiner's score on the 1933 King Kong soundtrack CD), but with Flash Gordon it is actually kind of cool. The movie isn't far removed from rock opera anyway. I like to listen to it on the way to work sometimes.
              That makes sense. The title song always includes dialogue from the movie anyway. "Dispatch Warlock and Ajax!"
              Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 05-27-2016, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• Yo.

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                I have to keep my VCR running because I still have 180+ VHS I haven't upgraded and some are not available on DVD/BD or aren't available in that version (for instance an English-dubbed Godzilla 1985 I recently got from eBay). If it died, I'd get another.
                .......???

dude, why dontcha just get them converted to dvd? doing so would eliminate the need to stay loyal to that format AS WELL AS the further wear & tear on both yur hard-to-find items, and the player itself.

hell, U could even do it yourself with the right equipment.....
                :/

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• True. I did think about that after my former boss got a converter and was telling me about it. But the retro-nerd/hipster in me frankly likes having a VCR and a bunch of old tapes with their original covers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                    True. I did think about that after my former boss got a converter and was telling me about it. But the retro-nerd/hipster in me frankly likes having a VCR and a bunch of old tapes with their original covers.

Ha! I have about half of those vhs. But the REAL eye opener is your action figure collection!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by KilowogsDisciple View Post
                      Ha! I have about half of those vhs. But the REAL eye opener is your action figure collection!!!
                      That's a small part of the Rebirth and on GL series. You can see most of my toys in my collection thread. I really have to update it, though. There's some new stuff and a lot of re-arrangement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                        That's a small part of the Rebirth and on GL series. You can see most of my toys in my collection thread. I really have to update it, though. There's some new stuff and a lot of re-arrangement.
                        (eyes bugging out)! Dude, could I be you? AWESOME!

Comment

• Yo.

True. I did think about that after my former boss got a converter and was telling me about it. But the retro-nerd/hipster in me frankly likes having a VCR and a bunch of old tapes with their original covers.

ewww!! yur part.......hIpStEr?!??

moving right along, I can respect wanting to continue enjoying yur vcr-lyfestyle but I would still get any old or OOP-items ya might have converted anyways (especially if theyre old/worn), since doing that has a good chance of being easier & cheaper to dupe as opposed to getting a brand new copy (if we're talking rare shit, natch).

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                          Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                            I actually have the FG Queen soundtrack on CD in my vehicle console right now. It's part of my current rotation.
                            Since I found that CD it hasn't left my rotation. Been on a bit of an old school kick...

~M~

Comment

• Originally posted by -M- View Post
                              Since I found that CD it hasn't left my rotation. Been on a bit of an old school kick...

~M~
                              I even got to see it on the big screen again last year!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
                                Despite this news, I'm sure there are still fans of Snyder's Batman v. Superman and probably don't feel any changes were necessary. That Snyder's vision was the right approach to the DCEU.
                                I liked BvS overall, and unfortunately the changes that have come from WB aren't the right ones. Einsenberg has been quoted as saying LINO will return for JL1 and the DCEU's awful Wonder Woman has already wrapped filming, I believe.

Many of them seem to have changed their minds (for the worse) after seeing it more than once. However, I strongly suspect Snyder didn't have complete responsibility for the basic suck that was and remains that movie.

So wish Affleck would just be his usual rich-whine-ass self and go away. Pudgy wudgy Batman sucks imo.
                                There are plenty of valid criticisms of Batfleck, but his physical shape isn't one of them. There's a training montage in the film and he's jacked.

Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
                                I might be the only that really didn't enjoy Batffleck. I thought it was off. Not the killing part, but other things; mostly the Martha thing. But the branding of criminals thing was definitely unnecessary and bizarre.
                                I thought he was mediocre, and I'm willing to settle for that. He was miscast, so that fact that he wasn't a huge distraction is good enough for me. At least his costumes and gadgets looked good. My biggest issue with Snyder's Bats was the spear scene. There are certain lines that Batman shouldn't cross.

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                                I am proud to say I STILL have not seen Supes vs Bats. Holding on strong with my boycott baby!
                                It's worth the admission price, just don't hope for a masterpiece. The Ultimate cut is coming soon. I hope that fixes a few minor problems that it had.

Star Wars...luckily, I just don't care. It's strange, I was there when the original and Empire...first came out and liked them a lot as a very young boy, but none of that stuff is holding up over the years. When I want space opera I read Johns, Soule, and Tomasi-era Green Lantern, GLC, and the god of the genre (imo) Jim Starlin.

You win the thread today for having the sweet GL fig display, Spaceballs, and Galaxy Quest. I tip my hat to thee, good sir.
                                Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Working...
                                X