Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's outstanding news about the DC streaming service. I've spent entire weekends watching it. I really like that I can sample comics to see if I want to actually own them at some point.

Also, I'm psyched for Justice League vs the Fatal Five this week. Everyone with whom I've spoken says that Jessica really shined in it. I'm not overly fond of the JLU-type designs, but those who have seen the movie already say that it's a tight story.
    Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

• DC UNIVERSE To Launch On Xbox One In April

Comment

• That would probably be the best for me, but I still don't think I want to subscribe to another service.

Comment

• Now I just need them to do the reasonable thing and offer it on PS4.

Comment

• THR: 'Swamp Thing' Order Reduced as DC Universe's Role in WarnerMedia Streaming Plans Unclear
            Swamp Thing is going to spend a bit less time in the swamp.

Producers Warner Bros. Television have reduced the order for the scripted drama series based on the comics created by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the original 13-episode order for the project has been cut to 10 after experiencing creative differences with its home at Warners-backed streaming platform DC Universe. The series will stick with its planned May 31 premiere date, as illustrated by a teaser posted by recurring player Ian Ziering (watch, below).

Warners and DC Universe declined comment.

The news of the episode reduction happens to come as DC Universe parent company WarnerMedia is plotting a larger direct-to-consumer streaming platform. The OTT service, expected to launch in the fourth quarter, will feature scripted originals, as well as content from corporate siblings HBO, Turner's TBS and TNT, among others. The platform will be overseen by former NBC Entertainment president Bob Greenblatt and Turner's Kevin Reilly as WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey makes the streaming effort a top goal for the company.

WarnerMedia has yet to reveal its larger plans for its streaming platform, which will compete with fellow upstarts Disney+ (set to launch Nov. 12) and Apple (due in the fall), as well as Comcast (slated for 2020). Disney+ unveiled its streaming plans last week during a nearly four-hour presentation to investors that impressed both Hollywood and Wall Street. Its platform will feature hubs for Marvel, Disney and Lucasfilm (Star Wars) content on its home screen. That presentation set a very high bar for WarnerMedia, which considers DC Comics among its crown jewels.

The idea of having dueling streaming services — even though DC Universe is considered a niche platform — could be a potential wrinkle for WarnerMedia. DC Universe — which does not release subscriber numbers — features a massive library of comics via its proprietary comic reader, which could pose a problem if its parent company wants to fold that service in with its larger OTT service. The addition of the comic library was designed to help DC Universe take on Marvel Unlimited. Also unclear is if DC Universe content would be exclusive to that platform before it hits WarnerMedia's unnamed service and if the DC label could be an additional monthly charge on top of a base fee.

For now, it's business as usual at DC Universe, which recently expanded its availability to Xbox users. Next up, it has the animated series Harley Quinn and Young Justice: Outsiders poised to join a scripted roster that includes Titans (already renewed for season two) and the critically praised Doom Patrol. Also ordered to series at the platform are Geoff Johns' Stargirl, which is expected in 2020.

Swamp Thing hails from co-writers/co-showrunners Mark Verheiden (Battlestar Galactica) and Gary Dauberman (It and its forthcoming sequel). Len Wiseman will executive produces and directed the pilot. James Wan (Aquaman) — who was once rumored to be directing the pilot — will exec produce alongside his Atomic Monster banner topper Michael Clear, with the company's Rob Hackett set as a co-exec producer. Verheiden and Dauberman also will exec produce.

Andy Bean and Derek Mears will play both sides of the DC antihero. Bean (It: Chapter 2) will play Alec Holland, the biologist who transforms into the Swamp Thing after discovering a strange illness may be connected to his work with the swamp. Mears (Sleepy Hollow) will play the creature that emerges after Holland's accident. Crystal Reed, Maria Sten, Jeryl Prescott, Virginia Madsen, Will Patton, Henderson Wade and Kevin Durand round out the series-regular cast. Madsen first signaled news of Swamp Thing's episode reduction in a since-deleted Instagram post captured by the Wilmington, North Carolina-based Star News Online: "I'm beyond sad. What a terrible decision. We have been cut to the core by those who have never set foot into the Swamp."

Comment

• Also they released a teaser:

+ YouTube Video
              ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

• I heard earlier yesterday that the show had been scrapped. Thank God that isn't entirely true, or I would be demanding a refund anddumping DC's streaming service entirely. I'm sure as heck not here for Titans and Young Justice.

Comment

• Variety: John Cena Eyed for ‘Suicide Squad’ Sequel

Comment

• John Cena as Peacemaker? I hope they use the mentally unstable Kupperberg version that DC did after they bought him. And use the amazing costume and helmet!

Comment

• Justice League vs the Fatal Five instantly became one of my favorite DC animated films. I was very surprised at how effectively Jessica was utilized in this film. When I first heard that she was going to be used, I suspected that she would just be rotated in with no fanfare like John Stewart in Justice League Dark. Instead, the narrative not only engaged her as a unique character, but it adapted her backstory closely from the source material. She really shined, no pun intended. I've watched her oath scene about 20 times.

I was marginally disappointed with the regression to the JLU character designs. They were thankfully updated, but we were still subjected to artistic choices like Batman's brick chin and giant fox ears, not to mention that Jessica's hair looked like drapes. However, some of the power effects like the energy blasts from Validus and the antimatter touch from Mano were extremely well done. I hope the DC animated movies don't keep using modified Timmverse designs, but if the stories are as good as this one, I can certainly overlook them.

Fun Fact: Jessica's voice work was done by Diane Guerrero, who plays Crazy Jane on Doom Patrol.
                      Big Blue Lantern
                      Corps Honor Guard
                      Last edited by Big Blue Lantern; 04-22-2019, 04:36 AM.
                      Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

• Comment

• + YouTube Video
                          ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

• THR: James Gunn's 'The Suicide Squad' Casts 'Ant-Man' Actor David Dastmalchian

Comment

• So he's been in Dark Knight, two Ant-Man movies and now Suicide Squad 2.

That's three different comic book adaptation roles. That ties him with Parker Posey (Josie and the Pussycats, Blade 3, Superman Returns), but Chris Evans (Fantastic Four, Captain America, Scott Pilgrim, Losers, Snowpiercer) and Ryan Reynolds (Blade 3, Deadpool, Green Lantern, RIPD) are still ahead of him.

Comment

• Doom Patrol has gained steam this season. It's developed several of its characters very well.

Comment

Working...
                                X