This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
    he found himself at the center of Krypton's last power struggle, yet he still found the intestinal fortitude to do the right thing.
    Debatable.

Comment

• Deadline: Justice League Dark: Bad Robot Developing Film & TV Projects Based On Warner Bros. DC Comics
      I hear that Bad Robot, through its new deal at Warner Media, is exclusively developing both film and TV ideas based on DC’s Justice League Dark universe at Warner Bros.

This deal is all very nascent and at this point in time there aren’t any specific projects or characters that are being specifically developed out of the franchise. I understand that Bad Robot’s Head of Motion Pictures Hannah Minghella and Head of Television Ben Stephenson will soon be taking meetings with talent reps and their writing clients on which characters will get their own projects.

Justice League Dark (or JLD team) first appeared in the September 2011 issue of Justice League Dark #1 featuring such superheros, mostly occult and offbeat, as John Constantine, mystic and fortune teller Madame Xanadu, Deadman, Shade, the Changing Man, and Zatanna. The roster is much larger, and members joined later on, with Swamp Thing being added in issue 19. Other members of JLD include Andrew Bennett (a centuries old vampire), Black Orchid (a shapeshifter), Doctor Mist (a spy who worked for villain Felix Faust), Frankenstein (a erudite creature), Pandora (based on the Greek character), Nightmare Nurse (a healer of supernatural wounds), among several others. Given their powers, they typically handled situations outside of the scope of the traditional Justice League, which includes Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman, Aquaman and The Flash. The JLD title and team were created by Peter Milligan, with art by Mikel Janín.

Again, this is all so early, so it’s not specific yet if Bad Robot boss J.J. Abrams will be directing any of these projects. Minghella on the feature side will work with Warner Bros. President of DC-based Film Production Walter Hamada, while Stephenson will work in correlation with the Warner Bros. Television Group including President & Chief Content Officer Peter Roth, President Susan Rovner and President Brett Paul. Following the $1 billion-plus success of Disney’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Abrams is currently meeting with potential showrunners for his HBO epic sci-fi fantasy drama Demimonde. The series follows a world’s battle against a monstrous, oppressive force. It’s the first series solely created by Abrams since the 2001 ABC drama Alias.

A sampling of some JLD universe properties that were previously adapted for the screen and TV:

There was a Justice League Dark animated film made in 2017 for the home entertainment market starring Rosario Dawson, Alfred Molina, and Nicholas Turturro.

The character of John Constantine was adapted into the 2005 Warner Bros. feature Constantine starring Keanu Reeves which grossed close to $231M WW. In the movie, Constantine was an exorcist and a demonologist and in the Justice League Dark comics, he’s a Liverpudlian magician who became the leader of JLD, but is then ousted and replaced by magician Zatanna. She’s been in the DC universe for some time, created by Gardner Fox and Murphy Anderson, and first appearing in Hawkman #4 (November 1964). Constantine was also turned into a NBC series by Daniel Cerone and David S. Goyer and ran for 13 episodes from October 2014 to February 2015.

To date there’s only been one Swamp Thing feature, released in 1982 and directed by Wes Craven. The DC digital service, DC Universe, ran one season of Swamp Thing, last summer which James Wan’s Atomic Monster produced, created by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson.

Comment

• I'm suddenly picturing Swamp Thing with excessive amounts of lensflare.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
          That's exactly how I felt after Man of Steel. It accomplished what so many other live-action versions of Superman haven't: shown the disenfranchised alien. His childhood was brutal, he didn't want his power, the world didn't trust him as Superman, he found himself at the center of Krypton's last power struggle, yet he still found the intestinal fortitude to do the right thing. That's the Superman that I always wanted to see.

And did that fail miserably. You can clearly see the Earth start to rotate backward when Superman begins to make his loops, and all of those reversing shots are cringeworthy cheesefests. He wasn't intervening to stop key past events, he was making them run backward.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with the concept at its core, but the execution was monumentally bad. I would have loved to have seen him fly of into space and begun to fly so fast that he literally rips through the fabric of space and time to stop Luthor before he got a chance to bring out the Kryptonite bling. The paltry special effects of the 70s may not have been able to make this look perfect, but it would have made much more sense than what we got.
          For my part, the effects are less of a problem than the content. Man of Steel obviously had much better effects, and yet I disliked it because it rather unforgivably destroyed the character of Jonathon Kent, turning him from an inspiration for Clark who helped him identify with humanity and taught him that his powers had a higher purpose, into a man so frightened that he would seriously argue that Clark SHOULDN'T use his powers to help people, and would force his son to watch his father die in front of him rather than let him use his powers. There is no way I can see that as anything but a terrible disservice to the character, and a detriment to the development to the character of Clark Kent himself.

Also, the action sequences late in the film were interminable, and not very engaging. I actually found myself checking my watch, trying to see how much longer these extended sequences of mass destruction were likely to go on. (And as a side consequence, the length and lack of engagement gave me time to actually think about how it didn't seem like Superman was making any effort at all to take the fighting out of populated areas. That isn't to say that is not a criticism I could level at any number of previous Superman fight sequences in various media...but in many of those cases the fights didn't drag on long enough, or get boring enough, that I actually had the opportunity to think of that while watching them.)

"The disenfranchised alien" is not what Superman means to me (or has ever really meant in any depiction I've ever seen), so I've no reason to want that portrayal. If that's what you are looking for, then I guess I can see this scratching that itch for you. I just don't agree that's a positive.
          Mister Ed
          Horse of a Different Color
          Last edited by Mister Ed; 01-27-2020, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
            For my part, the effects are less of a problem than the content. Man of Steel obviously had much better effects, and yet I disliked it because it rather unforgivably destroyed the character of Jonathon Kent, turning him from an inspiration for Clark who helped him identify with humanity and taught him that his powers had a higher purpose, into a man so frightened that he would seriously argue that Clark SHOULDN'T use his powers to help people, and would force his son to watch his father die in front of him rather than let him use his powers. There is no way I can see that as anything but a terrible disservice to the character, and a detriment to the development to the character of Clark Kent himself...
            Yep, that was definitely the biggest drawback to me. That attitude might be realistic, but it's a betrayal of the character that is a large part of Clark's identity.

Comment

• Collider: ‘Y: The Last Man’ Recasting Lead Role of Yorick as Barry Keoghan Exits

Comment

• Ben Affleck Tried to Drink Away the Pain. Now He’s Trying Honesty.
                Africa in 1900 is a long way from “The Batman,” which Affleck was supposed to direct himself. He stepped aside, allowing Matt Reeves to take over (and Robert Pattinson to don the cowl), after deciding that the troubled shoot for “Justice League” had sapped his interest. Affleck never seemed to enjoy his time as Batman; his sullen demeanor while promoting “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” in 2016 resulted in the hit meme Sad Affleck. “I showed somebody ‘The Batman’ script,” Affleck recalled. “They said, ‘I think the script is good. I also think you’ll drink yourself to death if you go through what you just went through again.’”

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                  More stuff about Geoff's dead sister in Stargirl:

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/10/18/...ing-to-the-cw/
                  He's at it AGAIN!

He just penned an open letter about his sister as it pertains to Stargirl and his Richard Donner days (god, he loves doing that):

https://www.newsarama.com/49551-geof...-stargirl.html

https://www.ign.com/articles/dcs-geo...targirl-series

Comment

He's at it AGAIN!

He just penned an open letter about his sister as it pertains to Stargirl and his Richard Donner days (god, he loves doing that):

Huh? You have an issue with Geoff telling the viewing public, many of whom probably don't know the catalyst behind the story's creation, about his dead sister?

I thought the letter was very well written, and I couldn't agree more with this statement:

"It is a story about how family is created by bond, not blood."

Outstanding!
                    Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

He's at it AGAIN!

I mean. I get you hate the guy but him sharing a story about his sister's death shortly before a tv show about a character based off his sister debuts seems like something any normal person would do?

Comment

• I think Andrew is pointing out how he loves to seemingly exploit that tragedy and keep making money from it with his revamp. It is kind of tacky.

Comment

• Ezra Miller Caught Choking Female Fan on Video

Comment

• ^I'm no fan of his, but I'd need more context before condemning him outright. For all I know a minute later they could have both got up laughing.

Comment

• Variety: The CW Acquires Rights to ‘Swamp Thing,’ ‘Tell Me a Story’

Comment

• Aww...crap.

Comment

Working...
                                X