No announcement yet.

What Book Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King's Cage by Victoria Aveyard. It's part 3 of a series I was enjoying but didn't realize it came out earlier this year!

Comment

• Yo.

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
      Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• The Island of Dr. Moreau by HG Wells

Calliope by Vincent Capone

A digital-only western that happens to be written by the son of a guy I know. Not the best western I've ever read (I'm about a third through right now), but not bad.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 10-05-2017, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• Finished The Silmarillion (JRR Tolkien)

Will give proper review in Tolkien thread.
          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Decided to resume reading an old horror novella I bought years ago at a used book store.

The Night of the Wolf by Frank Belknap Long -- part of the Frankenstein Horror Series published by Popular Library some decades back (cover price is 75c), it's about a professor, daughter, and a friend who find a carved wolf head in a cave and thus earn the wrath of a werewolf. I liken it to Hammer-style flicks mixed with classic British horror tales, because the protagonist is introspective to the point of verbosity and talkative in an oddly clinical way, but it all still has this air of menace throughout. Fun fact: the cover/spine/back cover were falling off since I bought it, it is in such poor shape, and my stepdad gave me some glue earlier to get it back on there more permanently.

The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger by Stephen King -- years ago, I was asked by a then-friend/coworker if I ever read The Dark Tower series, and when I said no I was told I would like it and should pick it up. Found a Signet edition which had just released recently and had a new intro by King and was revised and expanded. I like the intro (it's actually got me a bit interested in reading The Stand, which I never put thought towards), but I probably won't make much headway in this until I polish off Night of the Wolf.

edit: Finished The Night of the Wolf. Holy shit, the more I read, the more incredibly verbose this thing got; I really had forgotten just how dragged-out the author made things. Reading this is the literary equivalent to watching grass grow, but with less variation to the content matter. Even the climax was reduced to boringly excessive description.
            Agent Purple
            The Illustrated Man
            Last edited by Agent Purple; 08-25-2017, 12:48 AM.

Comment

• Finished Battle Mask (Executioner Book #3) by Don Pendleton and have started JT Ward's Dear Mom: A Sniper's Vietnam.

Pretty interesting so far. Even though I've read about Vietnam snipers before, I'm learning stuff.

Comment

• I usually slip a novel in between trades and regular comics, though that was flip flopped years ago.

The Spaceballs book was OK, the movie is definitely superior. Having not seen the movie in some time, it served to remind me of some scenes but a lot was left out, I think I read it in an hour and a half. Do not recommend.

Reading Neuromancer now and I'm a few chapters in. It's pretty interesting and I like it so far.

Comment

• Death Wish by Brian Garfield

Quick and interesting read. Different in tone from the movie (not totally) though much of the plot is the same.
                  Space Cop
                  The Dandy
                  Last edited by Space Cop; 11-16-2017, 05:09 AM.

Comment

• Yo.

started this series on Mon:

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                    Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Vittorio the Vampire by Anne Rice

Going to alternate Rice and King for the Halloween season.
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 11-16-2017, 04:21 AM.

Comment

• The Beheading (Guy Haley)

Finally finished Black Library's The Beast Arises series the other day. It was a 12-volume depiction of a war between humans and orks (space orcs, way nastier than normal ones). Basically, 1,500 years after the Horus Heresy the orks suddenly return in with insane gravity-based tech and actual military prowess and tear through humanity's empire, bringing everyone to the brink. This volume has the aftermath of the human-ork war and how the human leaders are dealt with by a treacherous member insistent on reform.

This final novel was fairly satisfying, and it had a couple twists that really packed a punch (one you could arguably see coming, but the other was a huge surprise and really made me rethink a lot). I did spoil myself a bit because I thought the ending was going to lead into a specific period for the universe's timeline, so I looked things up online before reading the book and slightly ruined it for myself (not a major letdown or anything, I was just mistaken, but now I'm looking forward to what I wanted to read even more, and hopefully it'll get re-/published some day).

Comment

• 10 terrifying horror books you've never read

Comment

• Decided to bite the bullet and grab a couple books from the books/mags section at the market. As both film adaptations are very relevant right now, I purchased Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Philip K. Dick) and Ready Player One (Ernest Cline).

I can already hear fearless's approval, since I remember him really liking RPO, and yesterday the clerk at my LCS talked about how me met Dick years and years ago, at the same little gathering where he met Anne Rice, before she was famous (he hadn't read anything by her, since she was just coming out with her larger vampire stuff and had only done small stories before that, which he hadn't read then).

Comment

• The Shining by Stephen King

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                              Decided to bite the bullet and grab a couple books from the books/mags section at the market. As both film adaptations are very relevant right now, I purchased Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Philip K. Dick)...
                              Have you ever read PKD before? I envy you your first experience. I even more envy your friend who met him.
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 11-16-2017, 04:21 AM.

Comment

• Unless it was some short in an anthology years ago, no, I have never read Dick's works before, so far as I'm aware; I'm not especially knowledgeable of his writings.

Comment

Working...
                                X