Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White House officials feared J.K. Rowling promoted witchcraft

Taken From www.scifiwire.com

Who knew that politicians are more afraid of magic than they are of mutants? Strange but true—at least if the confessions of a former Bush speechwriter are to be believed.

Remember when George Bush awarded the 2008 National Medal of Arts to Stan Lee for revolutionizing the American comic book? There wasn't any controversy stirred up by that honor, at least not that we can recall.

But it was a very different story when the name of Harry Potter's creator came up as a possible recipient for the Presidential Medal of Freedom, as reported by Think Progress. The Presidential Medal of Freedom is the nation's highest civil award, and is given to those who have contributed to: 1) the security or national interests of the United States, 2) world peace, or 3) cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.

According to his new book, Speechless: Tales of a White House Survivor, former Bush speechwriter Matt Latimer revealed that Bush administration officials objected to awarding author J.K. Rowling that honor because her writing "encouraged witchcraft," as per this quote from page 201:

This was the same sort of narrow thinking that led people in the White House to actually object to giving the author J.K. Rowling a presidential medal because the Harry Potter books encouraged witchcraft.

Lucky for Stan Lee that the White House had apparently never heard of Doctor Strange—also known as the Master of the Mystic Arts—or the medal might have passed him by!

And we voted that guy in...Twice..... I'm so so sorry....

Darth_Andrea

*headbutts his computer desk repeatedly*

Seriously.... jesus.... I weep for the future

M

Comment

*head meets desk*

Comment

The ignorance is just amazing. Live in the 21st century George

Comment

some catholic priest in germany were also preaching,that harry potter books were evil..

I think that all has its origin in a bogus eRumor:

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/j/jkrowlings.htm

Comment

Who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by myuserid View Post
              Who cares?
              A few people here aparently. Sorry dude, we live in the 21 century.

Comment

Anyone actually remember ideas like freedom of speech or religious freedom...

M

Comment

Originally posted by myuserid View Post
                  Who cares?
                  2nd that with, so

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

perhaps I looked at this the wrong way. But what does J.K Rowling's books have to do with freedom?

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Or religious freedom?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
                        perhaps I looked at this the wrong way. But what does J.K Rowling's books have to do with freedom?
                        they refused to give her the award because her books promoted Witchcraft... which actually stems from Wicca or Paganism...

Even if JK isn't a Wiccan or Pagan, it's still a free religous choice, for either the readers or anyone else, which the Whitehouse seems to view as 'bad' or 'evil'. which is why they refused to give her the award...

M

Comment

Originally posted by methos View Post
                          they refused to give her the award because her books promoted Witchcraft... which actually stems from Wicca or Paganism...

Even if JK isn't a Wiccan or Pagan, it's still a free religous choice, for either the readers or anyone else, which the Whitehouse seems to view as 'bad' or 'evil'. which is why they refused to give her the award...

M
                          oh, don't get me wrong I understand why it's stupid. What I'm wanting to know is why she deserved a medal for freedom?

If anything the Harry Potter books are anti-freedom. It's about people who have magic and are seen as greater than the muggle or moogles or whatever the hell they're called. Nothing too free about that.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

ohh.... she would have been awarded it for cultural endeavors...

M

Comment

Remember when everyone thought Magic cards taught kids satan worship?

I personally don't remember the satan worship series, guess I got out of it before that one came out.

Comment

Working...
                              X