Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Kyle ever get revenge on Sinestro for his mother's death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about that chick who literally stabbed Kyle in the back?

Comment

Originally posted by Spy Smasher View Post
      How about that chick who literally stabbed Kyle in the back?
      I don't remember that. Did he know her?

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
        I don't remember that. Did he know her?
        I don't remember much about it but it was in one of Ben Raab's stories and I don't think it was ever resolved.

Comment

Here it is.

http://www.comicvine.com/green-lante...ve/4000-96658/

Comment

Lianna? Yeah, she vanished. Turned up in... one of those group cosmic comics for a while though.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

In the debut special of the Sinestro Corps War, after ripping out the Ion entity from Kyle and stripping him of his powers, Sinestro famously revealed to Kyle that he was responsible -- via his Sinestro Corps member Despotellis -- for the murdering of Kyle Rayner's mother. This plot thread seemed to get swept under the rug even by the end of the event, where Kyle is all smiles when he gets a Green Lantern ring and barely even angry at Sinestro as he double-teams him with Hal (in fact, Hal seems angrier at Sinestro than Kyle here, and Sinestro didn't even do anything to Hal).

Later on Kyle would fight Sinestro... but not for any particular reason, and not so much as a word was mentioned about Sinestro killing his mother. Not one. And at the end of the fight, Kyle would get punked by him. Again.

When is Kyle ever going to get his revenge, or at least some measure of justice for his mother's death? I'd have been fascinated, with both Kyle and Sinestro possessing their own books right now, to see a 2 issue crossover just between those books to finally bury the hatchet.

I'm not saying one of them has to die, but it needs to be fucking addressed.

Personally, I believe that when Geoff decided he want to conveniently forget about all the other horrible, horrible things Sinestro has done (including, I don't know, the wiping out of whole space sectors and the trillions of lives therein during the 80s) and wanted to try and redeem him to some degree for some reason, things he'd written like Sinestro killing out a major GL's mother might run in the face of that... so the mandate became: "Don't mention it again."

*Note: For those who doubt whether Sinestro killing Kyle's mom is even in canon anymore, while the actual death of his mother occurred at the end of the Ion maxi-series, the big reveal that Sinestro was her killer happened in Sinestro Corps War Part One, literally Issue #1 of the never-ending event that didn't conclude until War of the Green Lanterns (or whatever Geoff's last event was... they all blur together)... written by Geoff Johns. And it's treated as the very reason that Sinestro is even able to put Parallax into Kyle -- without the mother revelation, Kyle would have resisted fear.

They do need to address that, maybe in the future, Kyle could show up, whip Sinestro's behind, and throw it in Soranik's face (don't like the direction her character has taken, and she should get her ring taken away if she keeps hanging with Sinestro, but that's another story.) They also need to address the whole Bueno Excellente thing, and if I was Kyle, I would hate for Sinestro to get ahold of that information.

Comment

Maybe they decided not to revisit that storyline after deciding the longterm goal for Kyle was to be an omnipotent hero. If he was going to be the carrier of the white light, harbinger of life, healer, giver of all that is good and awesome, bearer of goodness, titles, titles, titles...it would be very unseemly for him to go on a quest to get vengeance on Sinestro for murdering his mother. Even bringing him to justice on SOME level goes against where Kyle was heading (AND for where Sinestro was heading for that matter).

In retrospect, it comes off like Geoff Johns wrote it because it seemed badass at the time...then he immediately regretted it once the issue hit the stands. I think he writes stuff he regrets all the time, and doesn't think things through.

Comment

And then came the depiction of Sinestro ad "the greatest Green Lantern."

On a related note, I hate it when writers tells me which characters are "greater" than the others. Don't tell me about it, guys. Show me. And don't tell me that overcoming fear = greatness, or that will power = greatness.

Comment

Well, in the case of Sinestro, we also got him showing it, by having Sinestro constantly show Hal up like the Mary Sue he was.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
                      Maybe they decided not to revisit that storyline after deciding the longterm goal for Kyle was to be an omnipotent hero. If he was going to be the carrier of the white light, harbinger of life, healer, giver of all that is good and awesome, bearer of goodness, titles, titles, titles...it would be very unseemly for him to go on a quest to get vengeance on Sinestro for murdering his mother. Even bringing him to justice on SOME level goes against where Kyle was heading (AND for where Sinestro was heading for that matter).
                      Well, they could have still addressed it without doing a whole revenge plot. Maybe he masters the White and seeks out Sinestro... and "forgives" him.

In retrospect, it comes off like Geoff Johns wrote it because it seemed badass at the time...then he immediately regretted it once the issue hit the stands. I think he writes stuff he regrets all the time, and doesn't think things through.
                      I bet this is absolutely what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
                        Maybe they decided not to revisit that storyline after deciding the longterm goal for Kyle was to be an omnipotent hero. If he was going to be the carrier of the white light, harbinger of life, healer, giver of all that is good and awesome, bearer of goodness, titles, titles, titles...it would be very unseemly for him to go on a quest to get vengeance on Sinestro for murdering his mother. Even bringing him to justice on SOME level goes against where Kyle was heading (AND for where Sinestro was heading for that matter)...

Heh, I guess it would be a little inconsistent to simultaneously portray him as Space Jesus and Paul Kersey (Charles Bronson).

Comment

I'm so glad that future is already changing...

~KL~

Comment

You didn't think it was ever going to stick did you?

Comment

Geoff was writing the First Lantern story and I'm sure he had his hands in all of it as the CCO. So yeah, after Guy grew a 'stache and goatee and he was seen in the future with at least the 'stache... a brother was a tad bit worried Kyle's hair would get kinda long again and go the Space Jesus route.

~KL~

Comment

Yo.

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                                Lianna? Yeah, she vanished. Turned up in... one of those group cosmic comics for a while though.
                                iirc, this was the title:

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                                Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Working...
                                X