Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edselmarkp
    Guest replied
    AYE !!! THOSE ARE THE VERY RIGHT WORDS FOR KYLE'S FANS INCLUDING ME I LOVE KYLE BEING IN THE GLC FOREVER THAT IS HIS DESTINY EVRYONE SHOULD KNOW OF HIS LAST ISSUE #181 I THINK THAT HE SHOULD BE ELSEWHERE NOW HE IS WITH GUY AND SPANKING AWSOME FOR KYLE AS A BOSSY TYPE TEAM LEADER WITH GUY.... MUCH BETTER TO HAVE A TITLE FOR KYLE TO EXPLORE THE DEEP IN VAST UNIVERSE......DONT YOU KNOW THAT THE GAURDIANS IS ALWAYS TRUSTING KYLE AND HIM BEING THE ONLY LANTERN AS THE TORCHBEARER OF THE GLU....I MEAN THEY USUALLY HAVE SECRETS FOR KYLE TO BE SOMETHING MORE THAN THIS ITS WITHIN HIM AND KYLE DOENT KNOW IT YET....SO WELL SEE IN THE FUTURE.......
    Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
    I dunno. Not being a big Rayner fan, I'm trying to look at it objectively, and come up with a title that would 1) please Kyle's fans, 2) be a different take so it stood out from GL and GLC, and 3) strengthen the franchise as opposed to weakening it. I'd want to avoid repeating the collapse of the GL franchise in the 90s when Mosaic, Guy Gardner, and GLCQ all fell to the wayside in an attempt to revitalize the core book.

I'd honestly say that a miniseries starring Kyle would be a better m ove than an ongoing. Stipulate it be an 8 part mini so it would collect well in a trade. Forget Ion (like the thread intended anyway), and don't bother doing another new costume, he needs to be established and they need to stick with what they have. I'd keep Kyle in GLC because it's a good place for him and a mini is only a temporary book anyway. Let his friendship with Guy develop in GLC.

I wouldn't bother trying to recapture the good ol' days of the '90s by bringing back Radu, Terry, or the gay fashion magazine. They already did "Will And Grace" Kyle once, and the 90s weren't long enough ago to be nostalgia. Kyle would definately need something NEW to do.

What if the Guardians pull him aside and send him on a special mission, that they only trust HIM to accomplish? He could still appear in GLC and the whole mini could be worked in between whatever issues they needed to be. Have him go on an adventure that takes him from Earth, across the galaxy in adventures on different planets that he visited during the Marz/Winick/Raab runs on some wild good chase with whatever you want as the McGuffin he's trying to obtain for the Guardians. The end result is that he ends up saving Jade and bringing her back to life unexpectedly (to him). He only gets wise to the Guardians true intentions at the end when he finds out whatever mission he was on all along was orchestrated by them to fullfill this task, which could be dressed up in any manner to give it more depth and meaning. And it would bring him back to Earth at the end full circle, and you could even have the mini series start and end with Alan Scott making cameos.

Anyway, that's an idea. It could be filled with little nods to the past that Kyle fans would appreciate, but be giving him an all new adventure that would be self contained with a beginning, middle and a satisfying end that would make a nice trade.

And I'd avoid any overtly pretentious subtitles, like "Torchbearer" or "Guardian Of the Universe." With titles like those, why not "He'll Save Every One Of Us", "Ultimate Savior", or "Rising Above"?

No, pretentious titles like that are not only corny, but it gives the impression that they just slapped him with some new, new NEW monicker to compensate for him not being unique anymore. I know that was the character's bag back in the day, but he's been developed WELL beyond that after all these years. Slapping a new tagline or power on him won't ever give his fans the good time feeling they felt when he was the everyman getting powers and they were seeing him develop along the way. Just call it "Green Lantern: The such and such Effect" Or Green Lantern: Yadda yadda yadda-whatever title relates to the particular adventure he happens to be going on in the mini". Hell you could always try to be clever and have the meaning of the title a complete mystery getting fans to scratch heads, only to be revealed as the mini wraps up that it's something Alan, the Guardians, Jade, or Kyle say that sums up the miniseries. I've seen it done in other books and stories, and works pretty well.

Leave a comment:

• edselmarkp
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
    I would try to Geoff it. By that I mean find a decent way to explain how to go back to the basics of Kyle Rayner. Off the Topp of my head,Maybe have him disagree with the use of Leathal force. However Hal,John,Guy,and Alan don't want to lose him as a Green Lantern,so they find him a way to use a power ring that is not connected to the Guardians so he dose not have to take orders from the Guardains. This works for Hal ,and John because they don't have to worry about spending alot of time on Oa when Earth has a qulified Green Lantern permently assighned to it.

I think it would also be cool because though unoffical Corps members they can go places that the Guardains forbid. Though I would try to keep Kyle on Earth as much as possible. The hard task is picking a costume,picking a ring design,and finding a name for the book. I think that we should let a wriiter who is a big Kyle fan write it,and find us a damn good artist to hook people in. I also think it should get 2 years to prove itself,if this dose not work then I will finally say that the Kyle fan base is just not strong enough for his solo anymore.
    His ring is only connected to the a.i of the guardians and kyles ring is already improve by his own during the 150 issue and the 25th by ganthet still though the writer in glc havent put it in on his rings stats because it may affect the other gl's lets hope for the best because kyle's ring is the only diff ring among the corps inc. hal's though it's hal in the 1st place and now its kyle's; i still like his jim lee costume wht i hate is his collar it should be the same as the new that's cool.....

Leave a comment:

• Darth_Andrea
    Owned by Natu

• Darth_Andrea
    replied
    I thought Alex was newspaper photographer?

Darth_Andrea

Leave a comment:

• Michael Heide
    Heide Finition

• Michael Heide
    replied
    Oh, I didn't want to hook them up. I just would like to see her appear in the book.

Leave a comment:

• Ωmega Man
    Guardian of the Universe

• Ωmega Man
    replied
    Alison had potential but I think there's a lot of interest elsewhere like th mute girl at the Art Retreat, Anya the timelost Russian GL of Kyle's New Corps, Donna Troy, etc. But seeing Alison would give Kyle more chances to hang around Radu's more often, I just don't see a relationship falling into his hands. She also commented once in issue #97 I think that she thinks her and Kyle are good FRIENDS. He was the one telling her with guys it's hard to keep friends and lovers seperated.

And c'mon, she another former model trying to take her own pictures. We've seen that what, 3 times now with Donna, Jade, and Alex?

~KL~

Leave a comment:

• Michael Heide
    Heide Finition

• Michael Heide
    replied
    Originally posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
    He can fly. That means stopping by Radu's isn't much of a problem no matter where he's at
    He can fly, that's right. But Radu can't. If Radu is supposed to be reintegrated into Kyle's supporting cast, he should be close. So should Alison, by the way.

Leave a comment:

• Ωmega Man
    Guardian of the Universe

• Ωmega Man
    replied
    He can fly. That means stopping by Radu's isn't much of a problem no matter where he's at. I always think of the Art Retreat he's supposed to live at now as in upstate NY, just a few hours out of the city limits.

~KL~

Leave a comment:

• Michael Heide
    Heide Finition

• Michael Heide
    replied
    If I were an editor at DC, I'd hand Kyle to Joe Casey and Adrian Alphona. I'd commission a bunch of covers from Joshua Middleton. Then I'd try to do a little mini-summit with Casey, Geoff Johns and Pete Tomasi, to figure out how to get Kyle back to Earth. There, he'd move back to Bleecker Street (not in the same house, but across the street or at least close enough for him to walk to Radu for a cup of coffee).
    Then, I'd let Joe do his thing.

Leave a comment:

• Lishego
    Guest replied
    Both valid statements, still could we get lucky enuff with 3 gl titles? first off lets review, we have two GL titles, in JLA right now, getting his own team, is in JSA, plus all the places they seem to pop up as guest stars, I think its a good time to be a fan!

Leave a comment:

• W.West

• W.West
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
    It doesn't matter. Joe Q comic-goer will pick it up off the rack and go, "Oh. Wow. This GL is pretentious."
    or maybe they'll pick it up and say "Oh. Wow. This GL sounds like the fn man!"

Leave a comment:

• Andrew NDB
    Shot Caller

• Andrew NDB
    replied
    Originally posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
    I really don't think calling Kyle the "Torchbearer" is being pretentious. He's called that in the comics and he's pretty damn important to the Corps.
    It doesn't matter. Joe Q comic-goer will pick it up off the rack and go, "Oh. Wow. This GL is pretentious."

Leave a comment:

• Lishego
    Guest replied
    I think Quarterly is the way to go! I'd like to see more on the Corps in general, I do like Kyle but him and Guy do seem to headline GLC!

Leave a comment:

• Darth_Andrea
    Owned by Natu

• Darth_Andrea
    replied
    Well I don't know in the past they were able to sustain 3 gl titles, GL, GLC, GLCQ so it's always possiable.

Darth_Andrea

Leave a comment:

• W.West

• W.West
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Mad_Dragon View Post
    Ok, right now we got GL and GLC. Anymore, and we might be pushing our luck.
    And our money...

But Dave does have a point. JK Rowling does it with the Harry Potter books. Have the title remain a mystery until things start to fall together. That way, the title is irrelevant but still adds to the overall "coolness".

Leave a comment:

• The_Mad_Dragon
    Captain Pervert

• The_Mad_Dragon
    replied
    Ok, right now we got GL and GLC. Anymore, and we might be pushing our luck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X