This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
    ...The turncoat GotU doesn't seem like something that would be a good fit for the start the DCEU. WB would have to invest plenty of screen time in them to make audiences shocked when they eventually betray the GLC. Something like that would only be considered if the JL and GLC films are all moneymakers and WB is considering stories for something like GLC 3 in 2026. There are many, many variables there.
    That's a good point. It kind of requires a long game.

Comment

• I think Geoff just does't want Hal taking orders from anyone. He's going to get the Guardians out of there immediately.

Comment

• Logic would dictate if you wanted the Guardians to be the big heavy of GLC you do it at the end of a trilogy with build up. But this is WB, the company that did the DKR Superman Batman confrontation when they MEET, and not at the end of their careers after a long history between them. I don't want to give WB too much credit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
          Logic would dictate if you wanted the Guardians to be the big heavy of GLC you do it at the end of a trilogy with build up. But this is WB, the company that did the DKR Superman Batman confrontation when they MEET, and not at the end of their careers after a long history between them. I don't want to give WB too much credit.
          Given how much money the first GL movie lost, WB won't be assuming that a trilogy will get made. They'll do everything they're going to do in the next one and see how that flies.

Comment

• I think were putting the cart before the horse here, as it's really unclear with the role that Johns will play with the DCEU. Is Johns and Berg going to be the Kevin Feige of the DCEU? It's hard to tell with the Wonder Woman movie already completing principle photography, Justice League: Part One already filming and Suicide Squad set to debut in a couple of months.

WB still wants their DC films to be director driven, meaning they'll feel more like independent/stand along films, rather than strong connective films building towards something. I don't think this is a bad thing. I mean, the comics typically work that way, with solos titles not really connecting with the Justice League.

I still believe there will be a Green Lantern Corp flick, but they do have to work out a script, budget and director. I think they should hire a director before casting the roles. Too bad WB never gave Deadpool's director, Tim Miller a shot at a DC movie, as he directed the opening battle sequence in Thor: The Dark World and the video game trailer for DC Online.

+ YouTube Video
            ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
            You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
              Well, Blackest Night is my all-time favorite DC story, so I'm guessing we differ a little on GJ's final years. He wasn't perfect, of course, but it didn't take me long to want him back once he left.

Johns from Rebirth up to and including Blackest Night was the greatest Green Lantern's ever been imo, and I own a good deal of what came before (including the entirety of what I thought was the at times strikingly excellent Kyle era). After BN I do feel he shot his wad, things declined pretty quick, and the end I equate with the end of the Synder Batman run...completely inessential.

As far as Johns running DC, the movies...anything but writing comics, I'm completely unenthused. He need to do what he does well, and making these final Justice League issues his last comics makes me respect him one hell of a lot less.

But that's just my opinion, I'm trying not to let the very disappointing Batman movie and the mostly who care Retroactive Abortion totally ruin my love of DC. It's just...let's see how the suspiciously-getting-patched-up-at-the-last-minute Suicide Squad pans out...not very optimistic for the GLC film at this point. It might take a dynamo like Jim Starlin or even semi like Van Jensen writing the script for me to get back enthusiasm at this point, and that (sadly for DC) probably ain't gonna happen.

Comment

• I think Johns does a wonderful job in "rebirthing" things. I mean, his run on Aquaman turned things around for the character during the New52. I think the problem with Johns, is that he doesn't have a good history for "aftermath" stories/long term plans.

But, if anything really needs a "rebirth" in the DCEU, it's Superman.

Interesting tidbit of information about Johns, is that he broke into Hollywood/entertainment business by calling Richard Donner's (Director of Superman: The Movie) office for a job. Donner hired Johns. Johns was the person that found the lost footage of Donner's Superman flicks and thus we got the director's cut of Superman.
                You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Originally posted by KilowogsDisciple View Post
                  Johns from Rebirth up to and including Blackest Night was the greatest Green Lantern's ever been imo, and I own a good deal of what came before (including the entirety of what I thought was the at times strikingly excellent Kyle era). After BN I do feel he shot his wad, things declined pretty quick, and the end I equate with the end of the Synder Batman run...completely inessential.

As far as Johns running DC, the movies...anything but writing comics, I'm completely unenthused. He need to do what he does well, and making these final Justice League issues his last comics makes me respect him one hell of a lot less.

But that's just my opinion, I'm trying not to let the very disappointing Batman movie and the mostly who care Retroactive Abortion totally ruin my love of DC. It's just...let's see how the suspiciously-getting-patched-up-at-the-last-minute Suicide Squad pans out...not very optimistic for the GLC film at this point. It might take a dynamo like Jim Starlin or even semi like Van Jensen writing the script for me to get back enthusiasm at this point, and that (sadly for DC) probably ain't gonna happen.
                  Johns is probably going to make ten times more money running DC Films than he was writing comics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                    Johns is probably going to make ten times more money running DC Films than he was writing comics.
                    And yet writing comics is the only thing he's really good at. Losing respect for him by the second, DC too. Hello, Marvel!

Comment

• Originally posted by KilowogsDisciple View Post
                      And yet writing comics is the only thing he's really good at. Losing respect for him by the second, DC too. Hello, Marvel!
                      Well, to be fair, we can't really say that writing comics is the only thing he's really good at until we see him try other stuff and do much worse. As he has only just started in this new position, it is a little early, methinks, to declare that he's no good at it. I'd love to find out that he is even better at this, personally, since it might mean more DC movies I could really enjoy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                        Well, to be fair, we can't really say that writing comics is the only thing he's really good at until we see him try other stuff and do much worse. As he has only just started in this new position, it is a little early, methinks, to declare that he's no good at it. I'd love to find out that he is even better at this, personally, since it might mean more DC movies I could really enjoy.
                        Not to mention that he was directly involved in getting Supergirl, Legends, Arrow, and Flash on TV. So writing comics isn't all he's good at. I think, in time, DC's movies will catch up to Marvel (although the last Marvel movie I enjoyed was Winter Soldier), but their TV Shows and Animated Films are greatly superior to what Marvel is doing.

Comment

• Geoff Johns Clarifies His Position at Warner Bros. & on Ben Affleck's Solo "Batman" Film

DC Entertainment CCO Geoff Johns will continue to play a big role in Warner Bros.' DC division. During an interview with ComicBook.com, he discussed his job at Warner Bros. and confirmed that he is working on the studio's solo "Batman" film with Ben Affleck.

"My job is to help other Warner Brothers divisions work with DC," Johns explained. "I work with Warner TV and producers to get these shows up and running, in particular with 'The Flash,' where I co-created the show, wrote a few episodes, wrote the pilot episode."

"I work with other people, Ames Kirshen in games, the studios like Rocksteady and Netherrealm, go in there on character choices, story they’re going to do and brainstorm on that, try to keep it true to comics," he continued.

"I do get to say I'm working on 'Batman' with Ben Affleck," he added. "That gets the Thanksgiving table excited, especially my brother."

However, he could not confirm reports that he now has a larger role at the studio, despite earlier rumors that claimed Warner Bros. had appointed him and Jon Berg to take charge of the DC Films division after "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" failed to meet the studio's financial and critical expectations.

"Suicide Squad," the next DC Films movie, hits theaters on August 5.

Comment

• The movies can't get any worse at this point. At least they have the one direction left to go being up going for them.

Comment

• I don't know, Aquaman certainly has it work cut out for him. I mean the internet wasn't happy with how Aquaman was introduced in Batman v. Superman. And of course, there will be comparisons to Flash movie with the TV show.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                                You are right, Ed, and I see there have been great posts here since I last visited. I agree, Aquaman looks like an uphill climb for the creators, and I'm such a fan of the Flash tv show it will be hard for me to readily accept Ezra any time soon. I also think Batman vs Superman totally fumbled the ball when it came to introducing those characters. But let me watch that last film again, I've only seen it once compared to Civil War...which was even, unbelievably better the second time around.

Comment

Working...
                                X