Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Marsden is reportedly in the mix to play Hal.

Comment

• To me, it doesn't matter if there's a script in place.

I do think having the right director is very important. I'm not sure who a perfect director would be for Green Lantern, but I do have a short list that I feel can pull it off.
      You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
        To me, it doesn't matter if there's a script in place.

I do think having the right director is very important. I'm not sure who a perfect director would be for Green Lantern, but I do have a short list that I feel can pull it off.
        They've made some movies while taking that attitude, and it's worked out badly for them. You know the definition of insanity, right? Maybe they'll get lucky this time and pull a good script out of their ass at the last minute, but don't bet your lunch money on it.

Comment

• Obviously having a great script and building your team around it is ideal, probably a near necessity for a standard one-off drama, but franchises are often announced and made vehicles for celebs before the script. A good movie can still be made from that. Some good writers even cater the script to the director and cast when they know them and can meld them better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            Obviously having a great script and building your team around it is ideal, probably a near necessity for a standard one-off drama, but franchises are often announced and made vehicles for celebs before the script. A good movie can still be made from that. Some good writers even cater the script to the director and cast when they know them and can meld them better.
            How does a property that lost well over $200 million the last time out qualify as a script-proof franchise? You could probably film a Star Wars movie that literally showed a steaming pile of shit for two hours and that would gross a billion dollars, but Green Lantern can't do that.
            Trey Strain
            Guardian of the Universe
            Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-23-2017, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• I thought Martin Campbell on GL was fool proof before that movie came out. How could the guy who made the greatest Bond movie of all time mess this up? Turns out he was the wrong guy for the job. In fact, there were a lot of people on the flick who were the wrong guy for the job, not any one person. I hope WB learns from their mistakes this time around.

Comment

Obviously having a great script and building your team around it is ideal, probably a near necessity for a standard one-off drama, but franchises are often announced and made vehicles for celebs before the script. A good movie can still be made from that. Some good writers even cater the script to the director and cast when they know them and can meld them better.
                And clearly there were versions of the GL script that were done, including the one that had Alan Scott as the narrator and Legion as the villain, so I think the belief there was no script (which is essentially Reynolds' version of events) is less accurate than implying the final script or shooting script wasn't complete by the time filming had started. But we also never heard that story up until recently, so I'm not automatically buying that as the gospel.
                "My mind is deluged with thoughts of Heaven and Hell,
                Crime and Punishment, Damnation and Redemption. Hal
                Jordan... And The Spectre.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
                who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
                to change the world. This time, Lord...
                Let me be worthy."

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                  . . . How could the guy who made the greatest Bond movie of all time mess this up? . . .
                  But Guy Hamilton didn't direct Green Lantern.

Anyway, Martin Campbell had also done Legend of Zorro, so it's not like he was Martin Scorcese or something.

Comment

• Hammer says the Wrap's report was the first he heard of him playing Hal...but he also liked Johns' GLC tweet.

Comment

But Guy Hamilton didn't direct Green Lantern.

Anyway, Martin Campbell had also done Legend of Zorro, so it's not like he was Martin Scorcese or something.
                      But he DID do MASK of Zorro!

Comment

But he DID do MASK of Zorro!
                        It's true. And that's a clue to his uneven qualities right there. Great reinterpretation of a classic hero and a lousy sequel (though, I still own it on DVD, of course ) both by the same team. CR really isn't my favorite Bond, though. I think it's great, but there are at least three classic Bonds that would rank higher on my list.

Comment

It's true. And that's a clue to his uneven qualities right there. Great reinterpretation of a classic hero and a lousy sequel (though, I still own it on DVD, of course ) both by the same team. CR really isn't my favorite Bond, though. I think it's great, but there are at least three classic Bonds that would rank higher on my list.
                          CR, Skyfall, then Goldfinger for me. I never though GF would be replaced as my favorite Bond flick, but I haven't changed my mind in the years since.

I have Mask and Legend too. Talk about going from the penthouse to the shithouse! That first movie was SO good, then the next one...not so much.

Comment

CR, Skyfall, then Goldfinger for me. I never though GF would be replaced as my favorite Bond flick, but I haven't changed my mind in the years since...
                            Yep, it's still Goldfinger for me. Then maybe From Russia with Love (a really tight little film, which is Connery's favorite), and The Spy Who Loved Me (which would probably be my favorite if it had been a Connery flick). But CR is up there. Somehow, it feels very grounded and real-world, which is funny for a movie with a crazy parkour chase and which sinks a block of Venice.

Comment

• After CR and Skyfall, the first 4 Bond flicks are my favorites, Goldfinger, Dr No, FRWL, OHMSS, then Thunderball.

Comment

• Roger Moore was my first Bond, so Moonraker is my favorite Bond film, which is why I love the Kingsmen so much.

As for the Green Lantern film being like Lethal Weapon, I feel like it's going to end up more Men In Black. I just don't think the script will be clever enough to give a Lethal Weapon vibe.

It will be interesting to see how the villain of the film will be. Will they go Sinestro in this film?

Personally, I would have preferred to have the Green Lantern film have a more Star Wars inspiration that could lead to something like the Jedi vs. Sith, the Sinestro Corps War. However, I suppose that could still happen if Sinestro is the baddie in the upcoming film and they arrest him and imprison him in Qward.
                                You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Working...
                                X