Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you have bought a "Parallax" series starring Hal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you have bought a "Parallax" series starring Hal?

I mean, going back to the mid-to-late 90s, early 2000s when Hal was actively Parallax before the "Rebirth" retcon. If such a thing had come out around then.

For me, as much of a Kyle fan as I am, if I had to choose one series -- either a GL series starring Kyle or a Parallax series starring Hal -- I'd probably go with the Parallax series starring Hal. Hal as Parallax back in the day was a fascinating concept and made into a DCU powerhouse villain, filling a Vader/Magneto-esque role not really occupied by anyone else.

Now he's just another GL, perfect, all of his sins absolved. And back to zero personality. Great.
    Yes
    72.73%
    No
    18.18%
    They should do one right now!
    9.09%

Yes, I would have bought it, if only because it was a GL-related book. Whether I would have enjoyed it/stuck with it might have depended on how much time they spent trying to convince me retroactively that Hal's heel turn made perfect sense, and the signs were all there in advance. It didn't and they weren't, but that didn't mean that I didn't enjoy reading about him so long as they didn't keep trying to convince me otherwise.

Comment

Well, I would have bought and read it because I'm a GL completist, but I only like Hal on the good side.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
        Well, I would have bought and read it because I'm a GL completist, but I only like Hal on the good side.
        He wasn't necessarily on the evil side. Not in his mind, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
          He wasn't necessarily on the evil side. Not in his mind, anyway.
          True. And it would be kind of fun if they found a way (although obviously temporarily) to actually show his fixed universe.

Comment

I would have as well for the same reasons, but I would have DESPISED it. Same way I despised the Hal Spectre series. Ugh.

Comment

True. And it would be kind of fun if they found a way (although obviously temporarily) to actually show his fixed universe.
              If I recall, that glimpse in Parallax View was a pitched attempt by Marz to recreate some form of Earth-2 or such that was under Hal's governorship. But that was vetoed.

A pity. The same people that made Hal into Parallax simply wanted him to Vader sacrifice himself into death. He had potential.

Comment

I would have bought the Parallax series just to see if they gave a better explanation for Hal losing his mind and killing the Corps. That really pissed me off as real heroes don't take those types of actions; they always find another way.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
                  I would have bought the Parallax series just to see if they gave a better explanation for Hal losing his mind and killing the Corps.
                  Didn't kill the Corps. I don't think we can account for a single GL that died as a direct result of Hal destroying the Central Power Battery. As he said, "I left them enough power to survive."

He maimed Boodikka, but she'd later be rebuilt into an Alpha-Lantern anyway. And Kilowog, well, he came back just fine down the line.

Comment

Well, Hal did leave a great number of GL's floating in space with no rings, although he provided them with temporary life support bubbles. Even if he did leave them enough power to survive, with no GL's left, who would rescue them? I figured that they died, even if not directly from Hal, but his actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
                      Even if he did leave them enough power to survive, with no GL's left, who would rescue them?
                      The Darkstars? They were very much active at that time. And the life support bubbles or whatnot could have been directed to transport the GL inside to the nearest planet/space station.

Something clearly happened. Because there's not one GL you can name that died as a result of Hal's CPB explosion.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                        The Darkstars? They were very much active at that time. And the life support bubbles or whatnot could have been directed to transport the GL inside to the nearest planet/space station.

Something clearly happened. Because there's not one GL you can name that died as a result of Hal's CPB explosion.
                        I thought we saw, in Guy's title, some evidence of GLs dying when their rings failed them.

Comment

There was just no character there with Parallax. He was upset about stuff. big freaking deal. I mean I get that was the style in the 90's,but looking back it is even worse then I remember.

I mean the guy has seen entire planets destroyed,with out batting and eye. Some people will say oh but this was his home town,and that would be a valid point.If anyone he actually cared was there at the time Tom Carol, his Brother all fine. So it was a pretty weak premise to start with.

Goeff was right Parallax is not so much a character as it is a acessory,with more power. That's why it is so interchangeable. Hell Kyle even wore it before it became a space bug,he called himself Ion but it was the same thing,remaining Parralax power.
                          Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
                            If anyone he actually cared was there at the time Tom Carol, his Brother all fine. So it was a pretty weak premise to start with.
                            I forgot about that! They played it like this big permanent change, but made sure they got Carol, Tom, Jim and Jack with the family out of town so they'd have them for Hal's supporting cast later. I always thought that was funny on the editor's part.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
                              I forgot about that! They played it like this big permanent change, but made sure they got Carol, Tom, Jim and Jack with the family out of town so they'd have them for Hal's supporting cast later. I always thought that was funny on the editor's part.
                              Well, I think part of the problem was that, at the time that Coast City was destroyed, there was no plan to have Hal go nuts over it. I can only imagine that, if the plan from the beginning had been for Coast City's destruction to be Hal's breaking point, they would have made sure there was some kind of more direct and personal tragedy involved. As it stood, poor Marz had to invent a childhood sweetheart (that Hal hadn't seen in years, and logically had no idea if she even still lived in Coast City when it was destroyed) as the "personal" aspect of the destruction, because all Hal's supporting cast had ALREADY been confirmed as alive.

Comment

Working...
                              X