With DC's sliding timeline...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With DC's sliding timeline...

How many years has it been since Rebirth? In Earth Prime time, it's been six years, but in continuity, how long has it been since Warriors in New York got destroyed? And how long has it been since Kyle became Ion for the first time?

I find it is best not to ask those questions. Any answer one might give is so fraught with problems as to make it meaningless. I try to ignore specific time spans, just kind of classifying stuff in my mind into present, recent, "a while ago", and "ancient history". Every once in a while a writer (or editor, I suppose) will feel it is necessary to specify exactly how long ago something happened, at which point I go through a brief spasm of, "That's so stupid, it couldn't have possibly been that amount of time because...", then go back to ignoring the issue again.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
      How many years has it been since Rebirth? In Earth Prime time, it's been six years, but in continuity, how long has it been since Warriors in New York got destroyed?
      I would say one year, and that only because of One Year Later.

And how long has it been since Kyle became Ion for the first time?
      I think we're still sitting at 3 years for Kyle picking up the ring. Probably 2 for the first run as Ion.

Comment

Thanks.

Yes, as a reader it's best not to think about stuff like that. But when you are writing a flashback scene for a "by fans for fans" project, you can't write "some undefined time ago".

Comment

Actually, with a different phrasing, I bet you could. I seem to recall flashbacks sometimes simply labeled something like "THEN", and when it goes back to the present, "NOW". I guess it depends on the flashback, and how much difference it makes how long ago it was.

Comment

I know absoloutely nothing about lian harper it was just the first time I noticed actual dates used in a comic book.
            http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Titans_Vol_2_26

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/New_Teen_Titans_Vol_2_21

I mean , it's nothing to do with when kyle became ION but I thought it was interesting to get a perspective on the timeline.

Comment

So if 2011 is 2011 and 1986 real time is 2004 comic book time, that means that currently, twenty-five real time years equal seven in-continuity years?

Comment

Possibly. I bet if one looked hard enough one could find reasons why that doesn't work.
                And even if it did, it wouldn't necessarily be possible to derive anything else from that. 12.5 years wouldn't necessarily equal 3.5 years, for example. And I'd be willing to bet that stuff in comics from 1961 aren't necessarily supposed to have happened 14 years ago, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                  So if 2011 is 2011 and 1986 real time is 2004 comic book time, that means that currently, twenty-five real time years equal seven in-continuity years?
                  possibly , I wouldn't take it too literal though , just a rough idea maybe.
                  7 X 3 = 21. 21 years have passed ? maybe? ... i'm trying to find something that could unjustify that timespan.

EDIT: just seen mister ed's post sorry.

Comment

It's only going to get worse.

Time for a different way of telling stories.

Comment

i heard somewhere that 4 years in real life (our time) is 1 one year in the comic book world (dc time), anyone else here this??

Comment

iirc in the superman universe(so to speak) the day of doom miniseries took place on the 1 year anniversary of supermans death, and that was 10 years later.

Comment

I thought Rebirth happened... like... yesterday...
                          [center]

Originally posted by W.West
                          DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Robinson View Post
                            iirc in the superman universe(so to speak) the day of doom miniseries took place on the 1 year anniversary of supermans death, and that was 10 years later.
                            I thought the Return of Superman wrapped up at the First anniversary of his death?

Thers only one way to look at time in comic worlds, Ostrich Time. Keep your head buried about the subject and only pop it up when there's no other choice.
                            I'm commenting on the internet, Facts hold no sway with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Lantern Superman View Post
                              i heard somewhere that 4 years in real life (our time) is 1 one year in the comic book world (dc time), anyone else here this??
                              It just depends how much "story" happens.

Think about it realistically. Break it down to the core issues. Read any comic, a single issue, representing a whole month (or more) of passing real time. How much time actually passes, on the average, in the story of the actual given issue? Sometimes just a few hours, if that, sometimes a day or two at best.

Take, like, the latest issue of GLC. I think about 15 minutes passes in the story in it, yet it's been a whole month for us as the readers. Multiply that times 24 or 48 issues and you kind of get the idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X