Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any body here actually like Green Lantern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any body here actually like Green Lantern?

Maybe I am missreading alot of people if so feel free to correct me. It seems like all I ever hear anymore is people bitching. I came in about 1995. By 97 I was staright up obsessed. All the things most of the Green Lantern comunity wanted has happened since then and No one seems happy at all.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying there is no room for Improvment in the GL verse but I just don't seem to have the level of hatred of Goeff that alot of folks on this board do.

I hear people saying that they have dropped the GL book and other that taht say things like GL is like my 10th favorite comic character yet it comes from people who post here alot. I am not trying to take a jab at anybody,I am just trying to fit in with what appears to be a completley diffrent mind set then what it once was.

Is that it,am I just to oldskool? Or am I still considered the new blood of GL fan? I admit that Goeff seemed to be running on Fumes towards the end here,but as some one who read 95% of the exsisting GL comics he seems far from the worst writter. That Title use to belong to Winnick. I use to constatly here people throw him under the bus and Now nothing?

Maybe I am the Fool, can some one break it down for me?
    Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

I don't hate on Geoff (for GL anyways) as much as others seem to do here but that's probably because I'm a relatively new fan. Has he had some missteps? Of course he has but overall I'd say the later part of his run (Blackest Night aside, ugh) was in the above average range. Not great, but not terrible either. That being said, I do think it's time for him to move on, he's obviously told his story at this point.

As for the other part of your post, well yea, Green Lantern isn't my favorite character, hell if I made a list he probably wouldn't be in my top 5, buy much like I tend to read comics moreso for the writer/plot than the actual character I post here 'cause I like the community moreso than the fact that it's a Green Lantern board. It's why you'll see most of my posts in the Other Comics section.

Comment

Some people just like to find fault. Others follow the ebb and flow of the tides. DC is not Marvel, and never will be; those who want DC to be Marvel will always be disappointed.

I have been a GL reader since the early 1960s. There have been good times and bad. There have been times I have dropped the books totally (due to poverty, or lack of interest, or in response to poor writing). At the moment, my own fan fictions are better writing than the books have gotten. Can't say as much for the art--raised on four-color presses based in Sparta Illinois, I've come to admire the Canadian glossies greatly.

Slamming Geoff Johns has been a favorite indoor sport of some/many for the last several years. Yet these same people are raving about how great the Aquaman series is. Johns is but one writer in the set; GL Corps, New Guardians, Red Lanterns all had their own writers too, working within a "grand plan." Even the best writers come up with lemons sometimes (have you read J K Rowling's book about suburban England? Don't!). I respect Johns for what he has done, but now believe he ran dry after Blackest Night and should have left the title about thirty issues ago.

Some people like to build empires. Others like to build walls. Me, I like to build my comic collection--for good or ill. Some of the stories of the late 1960s stank worse than Volume 5 has, but I still have them. GL Jordan remains my favorite character and I want to see him written about. Competently.

Which is why I am upset this month. Issue #19 was not competent--committing suicide is not an act of courage nor an act of will, it's an act of stupidity, and is totally out of line for the character. It's hype-fantasy, not good fiction, not even bad fiction.

Rotten, hope this breaks down part of it for you.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

Hypo Evergreen thanks for the feedback. Though Hypo I do think it seems odd to post In a Green Lantern Fourom if GL is not high on your favs list. But it is good to have you around anyway.

Evergreen I kinda agree. I think it is time for Goeff to leave to. Maybe I am off base but It feels like to me he has been phoning it in. I feel like when he started he wanted to fix Green Lantern and bring the divided fanbase together. Then it seemed to become about how much money DC could squeeze outta GL's new found sucess, with event after event. I wanted to see what was going to Happen with Hammond,I wanted to see what was going to Happen with Sonar. I loved Henshw being the new Guardians headmaster. Those ideas were great. bUt he just stoped telling those stories? Why? Is the powers pressuring him to do other things? Is he spreading himself to thin doing so many titles? Is he just tired of Green Lantern? I just don't know. I think as writters go has has alot of potential, I hate to see him off the book before these stories get told.

I just don't have the hate for the guy. I stress how much I apreciate him taking us outta the Darkages of GL.
        Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

I myself am a little surprised at the level of venom thrown Geoff's way on this of all boards.

I think there's more than enough reason to criticize his handling of the GLU - regardless of the Golden Age he led it to - but a lot of it seems to be spite for spite's sake regardless of what good he's done to GL or the many other heroes he's worked on outside.

GL has been my 2nd favorite DC hero after Batman. I fell in love w/ the Silver Age concept of a Corps of diverse yet same titled / powered superheroes. I'll admit I "took sides" during the upheaval of the Rayner Administration, and still do since its dissolution. I just couldn't look past the snobbery and disrespect I perceived was leveled the old guard by some fans and creators. It's funny that I went to bat so often for Hal on the old DC board when originally I was more a fan of Guy w/ more interest in John and the alien Corpsmen.

Even though Hal endured in various forms during Kyle's time, reading REBIRTH and seeing him finally returned to his exonerated proper mantle in-continuity - in the company of fellow Musketeers Guy and John who'd had their hurdles along the way - elicited a feeling of jubilation and anticipation that NO comic book of my generation ever has before or since.

It was a hell of a ride w/ Geoff that IMO had mammoth peaks w/ the Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night events. The fire has waned considerably since then but, while I feel a change of creative teams is absolutely necessary, I bear no ill will towards the man who finally made GL one of DC's front-line superheroes, creating a true "trinity" of influence between him and the World's Finest.

"A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders."

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
            Maybe I am the Fool

Comment

Well, GL has been my favorite comic character since I was about 5 (and not yet reading comics) and he still is, but this point of Johns' run is probably the lowest part since Winnick (and yes, feel free to throw him under the bus), when I quit. I kept getting more disappointed with GJ after Blackest Night but still had fun reading GL and all the GLU titles. Now, however, I'm ready for the change in leadership. Either way though, I won't quit again. It was expensive making up those issues and I now need to stay on top of thinks (both collecting and continuity-wise).

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                Well, GL has been my favorite comic character since I was about 5 (and not yet reading comics) and he still is, but this point of Johns' run is probably the lowest part since Winnick (and yes, feel free to throw him under the bus), when I quit. I kept getting more disappointed with GJ after Blackest Night but still had fun reading GL and all the GLU titles. Now, however, I'm ready for the change in leadership. Either way though, I won't quit again. It was expensive making up those issues and I now need to stay on top of thinks (both collecting and continuity-wise).
                This. I was riding high on the Geoff John's train until Blackest Night. However, I feel like things just got worse and worse after that point. If we're comparing the GL universe to Star Wars, then everything leading up to and including Blackest Night was the original trilogy. We were all having fun, enjoying SCW and its aftermath. Then you could start to see John's become a bit one-note and bland during BN. This continued in just about every story post-Blackest Night.

It's not that I hate Geoff Johns, if I thought he could bring in fresh ideas and stories then I'd be all for him staying. He just can't get off this rainbow corps non-sense though and it's lead to the shitfest that is the Wrath of the First Lantern. Enough is enough.

We can all love GJ for what he did with Rebirth and SCW and what lead up to BN, and alot of BN until the contrived ending. But sometimes you just have to hand off the reins, for the sake of the story.
                JohnnyV
                Pictionary Master
                Last edited by JohnnyV; 04-14-2013, 05:32 PM.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
                  Lol.

Anyways I don't really see the problem with people who like Green Lantern complaining about the correct direction of the title, even if GL is your favorite character that doesn't mean you're not allowed to complain.

Comment

I've got a lot in common with Evergreen on GL. He's not a casual favorite of mine. He's not my 10th, 8th, or 4th favorite. Hal Jordan is my all time favorite super hero. And at this point, my love for the character, the mythos, and the other Green Lanterns is what is keeping me tethered to comic books. I have other concepts I love, but if GL comics went away overnight I'd walk away and pour my time into my other non comic fandoms.

I used to sing Geoff's praises and defend him constantly. He was at one point my favorite writer in comics. His firs runs on JSA and Flash are magnificent. He wrote the GL book I always wanted. From Rebirth until around issue #40 or so I was on top of the world.

Now he needs to go. Should have gone years ago. I'm not a GL hater, I want it saved and to be great again. Maybe I'm a Geoff hater, but he only recently converted me against my will.

Comment

To be honest, all the negativity I see on these boards was the reason I did not join for years and just occasionally browsed the forums. Eventually I realized that all comic book forums are full of unhappy complainers so I just said "Screw it" and joined.

GL is still my favorite character and the franchise I am enjoying most next to Earth 2. As said above it began to go down after Blackest Night for me, but over all I have still enjoyed it.

I bear no ill will against Geoff Johns or like slamming on him, it's not sport I like.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigger View Post
                        I realized that all comic book forums are full of unhappy complainers so I just said "Screw it" and joined.
                        Life is full of unhappy complainers.

That's why we fought the Revolutionary War and have lightbulbs and cars and women are allowed to vote.

Get busy complaining or get busy dying.

Comment

go to the stories on yahoo and read the comments. if it's a story that makes republicans look bad, almost everybody who posts there will be democrats who are criticizing them. and if a story makes democrats look bad, almost all the people who post there will be republicans who are criticizing them.

when people are satisfied, they usually don't say much.

Comment

Originally posted by Spy Smasher View Post
                            when people are satisfied, they usually don't say much.
                            Which pretty much illustrates OUR place in fandom. The GL books are selling very well. If say, 70,000 people are buying GL every month, what difference does it make if 1,000 of them hate it? We're still buying it anyway. If the rest of the sheep are happy with the way the book is, DC is happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
                              Life is full of unhappy complainers.

That's why we fought the Revolutionary War and have lightbulbs and cars and women are allowed to vote.

Get busy complaining or get busy dying.
                              I'm glad the revolutionary war and women's suffrage is on par with people complaining about comic books.

I hope comic book complainers get a month devoted to their cause later down the road, we already have free comic book day on google's calendars.

Comment

Working...
                              X