Green Lantern #23 *Preview/Spoilers*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by W.West View Post
    Prixiam used Hal's love tether to seek Carol. Right now, Carol is with Kyle fighting Relic. So now, Hal knows Carol is in danger against Relic but not who Relic is or even where they are.
    Thanks. I do not read New Guardians mainly because I dislike any and everything Kyle based so I did not know that was going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigger View Post
      Why not just finish off the arc?
      I'm bored out of my mind with it. The pacing is slow, not feeling the writing, and I think the art sucks. I may give this issue another read to see if it can at least go from a 2 to a 3 but if not I'll wait till things get into high gear.

Originally posted by Trigger View Post
      (Also has the fact that a child is still parent-less not be resolved yet?)
      What does this mean?

Comment

Originally posted by chosenone85 View Post

What does this mean?
        Pretty sure he's referencing Feska, a new Green Lantern recruit who was taken from her child at night by the ring...in Green Lantern Corps.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
          I didn't mind the typical Hal I-can-do-it-alone thing, but what's with him bad mouthing the rookies? He didn't have an easy time himself as a newb. He always seemed like he'd be a bit more sympathetic to them.
          I feel like that almost always happens with "senior" people. It's like when high schoolers become Seniors and treat the Freshman like crap forgetting they were once Freshman themselves or like when an employee who started as a cashier becomes a manager and starts treating other cashiers like crap because once he got promoted he suddenly forgets he was once just a cashier as well. (I'm sure there are better analogies but that's what I got at the moment )
          I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
            Pretty sure he's referencing Feska, a new Green Lantern recruit who was taken from her child at night by the ring...in Green Lantern Corps.
            Whoops, wrong book. It's hard for me to keep track of the new recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
              I didn't mind the typical Hal I-can-do-it-alone thing, but what's with him bad mouthing the rookies? He didn't have an easy time himself as a newb. He always seemed like he'd be a bit more sympathetic to them.
              I should clarify. I remain a continuity freak. I am delighted with Venditti's writing of Hal in character. Hal in character is doing exactly as we'd expect. "Don't do, it Hal!" she is screaming in glee, knowing it's exactly what Venditti will have him do. (Didn't want to post a spoiler for 24 hours.)

Underneath, Hal is seething--he has always had anger issues. Angry with Carol for rejection (and, now, it would seem, jealous of Kyle!). Angry at the old Guardians for betraying the universe. Angry that he's stuck in leadership. He needs to bash a jet engine or a villain and he doesn't care which. Unfortunate rookie that got in the way is a foil. Oh, this is much improved writing. And, so far, fully in touch with Hal's roots.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

Here, have a review: http://indigotribe.wordpress.com/201...tern-vol-5-23/
                The last fan of 1990s comics
                Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

I read it last night. Pretty underwhelming and lackluster. I feel bad about saying that; the book is finally at the point where I'm not frothing at the mouth due to general stupidity and assfuckery with the plot every issue. Nothing offensive actually happened this month. In fact, some of the dialogue tackles questions that fans would naturally have about how things are working in the new status quo. Hal does some very in character things for him, including what most of us would consider mistakes for a leader.

I think the art has a lot to do with it. It's just not the right match for a book like Green Lantern. Kind of a droning depressing style to look at that might be better suited for a horror comic or mystical hero title.

I gave the issue 2 stars. Not the worst thing on the racks, but definitely a letdown.

Comment

Average issue. Maybe a little below average. I really want to like this book but I'm kinda getting bored now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                      Average issue. Maybe a little below average. I really want to like this book but I'm kinda getting bored now.
                      There's nothing wrong with that, in my opinion. Eventually, putting out sleepy and mediocre, if inoffensive comics becomes bad, at least in my book. 3 months with no big punchline? Bad.

I'm of the mind that there should be at least one "big punchline" every issue, otherwise it's poor pacing. These are comics. You can't (or at least shouldn't) write them like novels. And even novels should be continually captivating page by page.

2 star comic for me. Venditti's character development, though nice, isn't saving this show.
                      ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Anyone who says Tan's art isn't good must have thought Mahnke's was horrible. This art we have now is miles better than what we've had since Reis left. But this issue did have some bad panels....particularly page 1.

Comment

Originally posted by bjread View Post
                          This art we have now is miles better than what we've had since Reis left.

Comment

Originally posted by bjread View Post
                            Anyone who says Tan's art isn't good must have thought Mahnke's was horrible. This art we have now is miles better than what we've had since Reis left. But this issue did have some bad panels....particularly page 1.

Comment

The current artist even isn't in Mahnke's league.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                                The current artist even isn't in Mahnke's league.
                                Cosign

Comment

Working...
                                X